Why do some hubbers just insult you?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (56 posts)
  1. Michele Travis profile image67
    Michele Travisposted 12 years ago

It is strange, but some hubbers jus seem to insult other hubbers, no matter what the subject is.  What would they do if they met the same person face to face?  Would they be as rude?  Has any hubber done this on a regular basis?

1. prettydarkhorse profile image55
      prettydarkhorseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

oh don't be affected by it. What matters most is how you see yourself. Maybe they have a problem.

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Rudeness is usually a strong indicator that the person is currently living a miserable life.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image59
        MelissaBarrettposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You would say that... y'mamma wears blue swirly cosmos thingies.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
          paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

big_smile

2. chamilj profile image60
        chamiljposted 12 years agoin reply to this

paradigmsearch you are 100% correct.

3. Randy Godwin profile image61
      Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Good writers are always very sensitive folks who see rudeness in everything others say.  Congratulations!     (joking)  smile

Michele Travisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol,  I am not hubbing about me,  just about what I have been reading.  I am not a good writer at all!

4. rbe0 profile image60
      rbe0posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think when most people feel insulted it is just misunderstanding.

5. A Troubled Man profile image59
      A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely, the forums have hubbers who insult our intelligence with almost every post they make. It's difficult to say whether they do it in real life or not, but it would stand to reason that they probably do.

1. Pcunix profile image92
        Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I certainly TRY to insult people's intelligence.  Unfortunately, sometimes there is just too little material to work with and the recipient will plainly not be able to truly appreciate what I'd like to offer.   It's frustrating for both of us when the little birdie flies right over their little head. 

On the other hand, a slightly misplaced sense of humor has caused people to think they were viciously maligned when nothing of the sort was intended.  This can lead to the "rebound insult" - not initially intended, but since they seem to be expecting abuse, perhaps it is deserved after all.

1. A Troubled Man profile image59
          A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol

2. calpol25 profile image59
    calpol25posted 12 years ago

You get used to people doing that Michele, but the best thing is to know that if they insult you its because they are insecure and unable to face what ever was said on an adult level. smile

1. Cardia profile image76
      Cardiaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I completely agree!

3. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

No manners.

4. profile image0
    The Writers Dogposted 12 years ago

They are jealous of other people, their talent and abilites. Rather than put in the time and effort to get themselves up to the same level as the person they are insulting, they would rather try and bring them down to their own level.

1. calpol25 profile image59
      calpol25posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well said TWD glad to see you about smile

1. profile image0
        The Writers Dogposted 12 years agoin reply to this

HI calpol... The time zones do allow for the odd almost real time interaction smile

I know what you mean there hun, its 1am here x

5. mega1 profile image78
    mega1posted 12 years ago

I'm sure there have been a few insults intended toward me, but I'm so thick I probably didn't absorb them!  I'm blissfully unaware - although I have witnessed some scabby remarks aimed at others -  I think the phenomenon of talking to people on very personal opinions without actually seeing them is what does it.  It's like when I was a receptionist and people would be really rude on the phone, but if they ever showed up at the office to my face they'd be nice as pie!  People pass on the stress the get.  It's too bad.  Best to ignore those ones - they're usually sock puppets anyway!  big_smile

That makes a lot of sense, by the way, you have a very cute cat.

1. profile image0

Newbie question... What is a sock puppet?

Here in britain its a toy and also an insult toward some one as if refering that they are like a piece of the male anatomy smile

2. Randy Godwin profile image61
          Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Someone who uses an alternate account to hide their identity when posting in the forums.  They may also be referred to as chickens**ts.  But not by me, of course! lol

lol I did not know that smile

3. Michele Travis profile image67

Sorry,  I did not know what the answer was, so I looked it up.  Randy was right.  There are a few,  not a lot.  Being a newbie it made me courious.

4. rbe0 profile image60
          rbe0posted 12 years agoin reply to this

https://encrypted-tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS6O9jMvBu9ZeYSuK3XDJzQoPicepthqcPRLKztJBEHsdsgurdiJg

Pay no attention to the man behind the puppet...

I still prefer it as a british insult lol lol lol

1. profile image0

Thanks everyone!  I am with calpol25.

lol I knew you would, your as bad as me  lol

2. Michele Travis profile image67

And how you put smiley faces on your posts?  I am still learning how to hub.

1. mega1 profile image78
        mega1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

the cat is an internet cat (purloined from a funny pictures site) not mine!  But I love it.

there are all kinds of formatting tricks including smiley faces - click on the bold face formatting button at the bottom right of the post a reply window - to see how to make formatting changes and also how to add images and stuff.  If you want to add one of your own photos - click the add photo (blue) button.

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/5926506_f248.jpg

I know its too early for valentines - but I love this!  Consider it your christmas present.  big_smile

ok smile

3. schoolgirlforreal profile image80
      schoolgirlforrealposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't do it, but that's just me.

6. Michele Travis profile image67
    Michele Travisposted 12 years ago

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/5926589_f248.jpg

hope this works!

7. yui lockhart profile image60
    yui lockhartposted 12 years ago

What I do to that cynics is I just take their criticism at a better perspective. You can't force anyone to think what you want to, but you can always control your thoughts. If someone tends to be rude, don't be offended by it. Maybe they don't mean it, or maybe it has other meaning to you. smile

Thank you,  what I have noticed however, it is only a few who do this.  Interesting....

1. yui lockhart profile image60
        yui lockhartposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I will make a hub about this to help you more. Thanks for the feedback! smile

8. profile image53
    mame8posted 12 years ago

they're probably bored or they're just envy

1. schoolgirlforreal profile image80
      schoolgirlforrealposted 12 years agoin reply to this

childish and stupid.

9. ThoughtPolice profile image60
    ThoughtPoliceposted 12 years ago

Everyone keep calm... I am here to help. I will be making pre-emptive arrest from now on. This should not be happeneing ever again.

10. Chuck Bluestein profile image61
    Chuck Bluesteinposted 12 years ago

I have a hub that says that all relationships are based on a saying. The saying is "Misery loves company." So like someone mentioned, the miserable people are trying to you miserable. There is even a song about this by Taylor Swift: Mean http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYa1eI1hpDE&ob=av2e

So I am giving you an entertaining video so what does that tell you about me?

1. ThoughtPolice profile image60
      ThoughtPoliceposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sorry guys I have to put myself in jail after watching that video...
      Your all on your own now.

11. skyfire profile image78
    skyfireposted 12 years ago

I don't know if you noticed this or not but in political and religious forums people comment about something that they're not aware of purely based on their perception of things in the world. Take example of astrology thread in forums where OP thinks anyone who is not in agreement with astrology is either not aware of astrology being science or if they know it then they should agree that it is science. WTF is that? We're not in medieval age to accept any random hippy coming out of the blue and claiming something by relating it with religion and tells us what is for real and what isn't. I take that as insult and would love to refute it in more aggressive manner as this type of 'pseudo intellectual religious' mental disease is killing people and progress of our society. Take another example, If any bible lover talks about biology and particle physics by relating it with bible and not with the real facts then hey, that guy or gal needs to take insult for this type of stupidity. Sorry we don't live in fantasy world.

But isn't that part of it too?

When the theist or astrologist is told that their belief is utterly ridiculous and irrational, they feel insulted.

We are supposed to say "Oh, sure, that COULD be true and it's perfectly reasonable that you believe that". 

When we don't, we insult simply by being realistic.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image59
        MelissaBarrettposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I thought you were a liberal... Aren't we all about tolerance and acceptance?

1. Jane Bovary profile image86
          Jane Bovaryposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Being liberal is about supporting people's right to believe what they want but it's NOT about insulating those beliefs from criticism. At least, it shouldn't be...

1. skyfire profile image78
            skyfireposted 12 years agoin reply to this

+1

2. Pcunix profile image92

Tolerance?  I tolerate everyone's right to believe whatever fool thing they want.  I'm not going to pretend it isn't foolish, though.

2. skyfire profile image78
        skyfireposted 12 years agoin reply to this

At the end of the day, reality wins.

12. MelissaBarrett profile image59
    MelissaBarrettposted 12 years ago

Wow, no one can take a joke this morning smile  Think I'll go pick up the wrapping paper.

But it is not a joke to many.  They think that we have to show respect for their beliefs.

13. mega1 profile image78
    mega1posted 12 years ago

I read this in a Saul Bellow book and it fits in here:

Q: What is the difference between intelligence and indifference?

A: I don't know, and I don't care!

Have a happy holiday everyone!

14. yui lockhart profile image60
    yui lockhartposted 12 years ago

hi fellow hubbers! I wrote a hub about this and it might help you.
    <snipped - no promotional links in the forums>

1. FalconSays profile image60
      FalconSaysposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What a lame thread.
      JK!
      Ha!  My turn.  Insult me back.  I need a good spank'n

15. Cardia profile image76
    Cardiaposted 12 years ago

I think I experienced that for the first time yesterday, while making a post in the Forums. Someone replied to my topic, not really answering my initial question, but they worded it in such a way that I couldn't tell if they were just being 'wordy' or were trying to make me sound like I'm lazy and I don't know what I'm doing. I can't help but feel that I was being snubbed though.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)