Where else do you write other than Hubpages?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (23 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Lauren Romanoposted 16 years ago

Most people seem to have a personal blog or write content for another site, so where else do you share your writing talents?

2. tbartle profile image59
    tbartleposted 16 years ago

I've written for Associated Content, but this site is way better.

I'm actually a freelance writer, so all I ever do is write, it seems.  Most of my work is ghostwritten, though.

3. outspan profile image60
    outspanposted 16 years ago

Helium.com is a good site too. But I've just joined both hubpages and helium and I can't say which is the best.

It's a little bit different there, you get paid based on impressions, not clicks, and you can request payout to PayPal when you reach $25. They're currently having a promotional program where if you're a dedicated user and have enough 'rating stars' you can earn $1-3 per article written till april 15.

4. profile image0
    Marye Audetposted 16 years ago

I write for a couple of network blogs, have several of my own blogs, and also write for Lovetoknow.com.

Busy? Nah.

5. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 16 years ago

I've been the body art editor over at Bellaonline.com for the past five years.  It's the largest, non-corporate, women's portal on the web.  Money is ok, but the audience and traffic I have there is massive at this point, and HubPages has been very useful in helping me get more earnings from that large traffic stream.

I also do a lot of Squidoo lenses.  All the folks here who wish they could make a page and just point to their other web sites without being penalized should go build lenses as that's totally allowed on that site.

1. outspan profile image60
      outspanposted 16 years agoin reply to this

So a lens is basically a description+link to another website? But you still need to drive traffic to the lens page, don't you?

1. darkside profile image65
        darksideposted 16 years agoin reply to this

You can use Squidoo exactly the same way if you like as you would HubPages. Though sometimes there are things I prefer to do at HubPages and other things I like to do at Squidoo.

Here's something I wrote that compares the two: Hubpages vs Squidoo

6. Whitney05 profile image84
    Whitney05posted 16 years ago

outspan, no that is not the case. lenses require much more work than a description and link. What relache is saying (I think) is that where on HubPages you can get penalized for directing traffic to only one site (I believe it's considered spam), on Squidoo, they don't care. But, lenses tend to require at least 5 modules (capsules).

I have several blogs, that I try to keep up to date, squidoo, and goReptiles

1. relache profile image73
      relacheposted 16 years agoin reply to this

This is the point I was attempting to convey.  On HubPages you get penalized for using a limited amount of links/sites/web resources, but not on Squidoo. 

Depending on what material I have assembled and what I wish to achieve with a web page, I find some topics are better suited to HubPages and some to Squidoo.  I also find the two work really well in conjunction with each other.

7. C.M. Vanderlinden profile image63
    C.M. Vanderlindenposted 16 years ago

I've written at Squidoo, Helium, Associated Content, and  Suite101.com. Of those four, Associated Content and Suite101 paid the best, but I got more traffic for my own site from the writing I did on Squidoo.

So you don't write there anymore? May I ask you why, before trying to write there myself? wink wink

1. C.M. Vanderlinden profile image63
        C.M. Vanderlindenposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Mainly because I've moved on to other things smile I have a full time job editing/writing web copy, and I have two sites of my own, plus the hubs I write here. I  can say without a doubt that AC and Suite101 helped in terms of getting better-paying gigs. They gave me web writing experience and clips, so I had something to show prospective employers. Squidoo was mainly an experiment in helping my site get some traffic, and it did that wonderfully. As for Helium, I think I only wrote two articles for them, so I didn't really get to know that site as well as others have. I think that I have a whopping $1.21 in pay from there so far smile

8. elisabeth reid profile image67
    elisabeth reidposted 16 years ago

This is my first...I'm a true newbie in every sense of the word.  I've written for ages, but most of what I've written to date has been fiction.  And since we all know what fiction pays, I figure it's time I broaden my scope a little bit and try my wings at something else.  We'll see how it goes.  I've been giving some thought to checking out some of the other sites I've read about here, there and everywhere but my time is so limited these days, what with the dreaded day job (okay...so it's a day job at night), the husband, the kids, the creatures, the house, the homeschooling and the traditional school's 'stuff'...

Sleep is overrated, right?

roll

1. C.M. Vanderlinden profile image63
      C.M. Vanderlindenposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Totally overrated smile

I get where you're coming from. I started out as a fiction writer, too. I've got three unpublished novels still sitting here collecting dust. Once the kids started coming (#3 is due in May) it became pretty clear that fiction wasn't going to pay for all of the Barbies, orthodontist visits, and other fun expenses that come with kids smile

Maybe I'll get back to fiction when they're in college...

2. outspan profile image60

Science fiction as well?
      I've been organizing a sci-fi literary competition for 3 years now. It's an interesting initiative, free and with an outstanding jury, and all about promoting writers and getting them published with royalties. But it's just in Italian for now. Maybe in the next edition... wink

9. Princessa profile image81
    Princessaposted 16 years ago

I have a blog in English and a couple of blogs in Spanish and  recently have started to write with EscapeArtist.

10. profile image0
    Lauren Romanoposted 16 years ago

I can finally post mine! For some reason my page felt like freezing on me.

I have my own blog (womensdaily.blogspot.com). I also write for Associated Content, Helium and Ehow.com under my full name. And here of course smile

For those of you that write for Helium, what are your experiences with writing for the articles written under marketplace?

Yeah, mine too... server problems apparently, it's happening quite often on this site, I hope they'll upgrade soon.

Just joined there so I don't know, but: look at the contests page as well, they pick 10-12 topics with 15 'titles' each, and the author writing the best articles in a given topic during a week's period gets $75, the second $25, etc... not too bad for starters!

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
        Marisa Wrightposted 16 years agoin reply to this

To win the contests, you have to come top in several titles, not just one - and you'll find competition is fierce.  And winning the contest is based on ratings, which are notoriously unpredictable, so you can't be sure the best will win. 

Marketplace is different, because the ratings are irrelevant.  Often, the publishers pick a very low-rated article.  However, you'll often find the deadline for selection passes and nothing has been chosen weeks later, if at all.  And remember, only one article under each title will get picked, and sometimes there are hundreds of articles posted.

There are a couple of good Hubs about Helium.  One of them's mine smile

http://hubpages.com/_Marisa/hub/Heliumc … n-or-Money

http://hubpages.com/hub/Helium---Can-you-make-money

11. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 16 years ago

I have never tried squidoo or helium, but here are a few places I write :

http://www.bloggingtips.com/author/mark-knowles/
    http://www.overseaspropertymall.com/
    http://www.globalconstructionwatch.com/
    http://youcube.us/
    http://footieblog.co.uk/
    http://pursenickety.com/
    http://internationalpropertyinvestment.com/
    http://www.jobschmob.com/blog.cgi?type=EB
    http://www.hereorthere.com/members/marcus1234
    http://markpknowles.com/

Plus I write for some content providers.

Also, I tried SEO writing - which I absolutely hated. But if anyone wants to earn $12 for 400 words, I know where to find it - I found it soul destroying. smile

12. Inspirepub profile image72
    Inspirepubposted 16 years ago

I have a blog, and I write a weekly lesson for parents who are teaching their kids about business, saving and investing.

I write articles, mostly for ezinearticles, goarticles, article dashboard, and Buzzle, but I'm on a bunch of other article sites, too.

I've written an eBook, and I'm about to write another one.

I have been shortlisted to write an actual book published by a real publisher (be still, my beating heart ...) - and I'll even get my own ghostwriter to do the hack bits, God I hope that one comes through!

I write things for other people, like press releases (which are more like $150 for that same 400 words, Mark!) and web site copy, marketing campaigns, etc.

I write my own poetry, songs, and philosophical essays.

I have had a couple of my plays actually performed in theatres (now THAT is a buzz!), and I am being constantly harassed to write some more episodes by those who have read the scripts for my TV series - kinda sci fi, if you imagine something like Buffy minus demons meets alternate realities (Sliding Doors/Me Myself I) with the philosophical/spiritual underpinnings in the style of the new Battlestar Galactica. Suffice to say it has a completely credible premise for a perpetually young naked woman to turn up and beat the heck out of the bad guy on a regular basis.

And my keen readers haven't even seen the visuals ... they are hooked on the plot ...

I'm sure that would be a winner if I ever got a pilot made.

But it's gathering dust at the moment, because I don't see a way to do that.

Ah well, back to finish my press releases about consumer electronics sales in Asia ...

Jenny

13. dinamars profile image59
    dinamarsposted 16 years ago

I have another blog written in my native language for Indonesian or other Malay spoken people interested in French language and culture here: http://www.parlezfrancais.net

I also have another more serious blog about studying French for language exams or pursue a degree in France here: http://www.examenfrancais.com

But currently I enjoy being in Hubpages because I feel there are more real people who read and answer your hubs, post request and get replied, also chit-chatting in this forum. smile

dina

14. Titletown Talk profile image60
    Titletown Talkposted 16 years ago

I've done most of my freelancing work the past 4-5 years at newspapers and some magazines, but the work has been spotty at best. So the past couple of months I've finally been looking into online sources, although the income flow is barely a trickle if that so far. I've always been a sports guy, so that obviously narrows my target area, but it's what I know and love to do.

However, if this Hubbing doesn't take off quickly, I may have to find a different career, at least in the short-term.

Anyway, find a topic and area you love to write about and there are no doubt many avenues to pursue, both print and electronic, where you can do your thing.

Good luck.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)