Is it worth doing a writing course?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (9 posts)
  1. KarenCreftor profile image84
    KarenCreftorposted 12 years ago

Hi there,

I've just completed my first month of writing on HP and I'm hooked!! I want to be a full time writer (particularly articles online and for magazines) and wondered if it was worth doing a course or not? The one I've been considering is this one... http://www.stonebridge.uk.com/course/wr … e-articles ...though it doesn't cover writing online I don't think.

Do you think it's worth it? Or am I better off getting straight out there and/or learning more from online and books?

Have you ever done a writing course? Was it useful?

I would really appreciate any advice and opinions on this. Money is very tight and I want to put it to good use and if I do a course want to make sure it's the right one for me smile

~Kaz x

1. lobobrandon profile image88
      lobobrandonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Your here just one month you'll learn lots more and I don't think you'll need a course unless you need a certificate.

2. KarenCreftor profile image84

Oh there's also this course, but I don't know do you think it looks like a scam?? http://www.make-money-writing.info/

3. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 12 years ago

All writing courses are not created equal. lol. I have some hubs about writing tips, as do some other hubbers. You might want to check out a few articles on Hubpages for free first.

4. DIMIR profile image73
    DIMIRposted 12 years ago

The one thing I've realized is an in person writing course is so much better than online.  I overall recommend writing courses.  You get a bunch of writers to look at your work.  What is better than that?  But really, watch out for online courses, because some are great, but many are... sub-par.  Check your local libraries or Craigslist or any type of local gathering to see if something gets together around you.  It will still be a bit of money, as the person in charge... needs to make money.  If you live in/near a city, it is a really great experience.  If you live near a college, sign up for a few college writing classes.  Again, money, but professionals who've been teaching and learning for years!

5. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 12 years ago

"On completion of your course, you will receive these qualifications:
    Qualification: Writing Saleable Articles Diploma
    Writing Saleable Articles Diploma issued by Stonebridge Associated Colleges, entitling you to use the letters SAC Dip after your name"

This screams scam to me! Particularly the last line: SAC Dip! lol

The second one looks even scammier from the landing page.

6. melbel profile image93
    melbelposted 12 years ago

What you might want to do, if you want to take courses, is take some English courses at a community college. You could take English Comp which would be the first course. Then you could go in any direction depending what kind of writing you want to do:

Exposition & Persuasion
    Communication (Speech class which will help you kind of get some ideas across in your writing)
    Creative writing (not really 'hub' stuff in terms of making money, but if you like creative writing, go for it!)
    Technical Writing

You could also go on a writing course on your own.. you could do something like read up on brushing up on your writing. I go to Purdue and they have a seriously awesome English program and seriously a lot of their stuff is published right on the Interweb:
    owl.english.purdue.edu

MIT also offers writing courses in its free OpenCourseWare program:
    ocw.mit.edu/courses/#writing-and-humanistic-studies

Hopefully this is helpful!

7. AdeleCosgroveBray profile image88
    AdeleCosgroveBrayposted 12 years ago

I'll echo something of what others have already advised.  Avoid online courses, which are largely money-making ventures for the company running the course.  If you wish to add to your paper qualifications then you'd surely do much better by attending a recognised college course.

To become a better creative writer:-
    1) Read widely.
    2) Write daily.
    3) Join a local writers' group to get (and learn how to give) useful feedback.

8. KarenCreftor profile image84

Thanks so much for all your replies, they've really helped me!

I've purchased some books on writing which all have exceptional reviews and thought I'd take it from there. I've decided to read a lot from books and online rather than a course, but you never know this may change in the future smile

Local courses aren't great here sadly and online courses do worry me. You hear a lot about them making the courses deliberately difficult to encourage a high drop-out rate, ensuring maximum profit.

Anyway I'll keep you posted on how it goes. I'm particularly drawn to writing online and for want of a better term 'self-help' books, mainly because this is what I enjoy but also to build up a passive income (who doesn't want that right?)

Thanks again all of you for such valuable advice!

~Kaz x

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)