Is the koran just a plagiarisation of the bible?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (23 posts)
  1. Jesus was a hippy profile image60
    Jesus was a hippyposted 12 years ago

Many muslims are suprised to hear that the bible contains similar stories although they are not so similar.

The bible says that adam named all the animals whereas the koran says that god taught adam all the names.

The bible says that there was a global flood whereas the koran says it was only a bunch of local floods

The bible says that Noah, his wife and his 3 sons and their wives were on the ark, the koran says that Noah and 2 of his sons plus a couple of friends were on the ark.

It looks at first glance, that the stories were simply copied, from memory, which would account for the differences. If that were true, then how significant could they be?

1. Edwinoel Tanglao profile image59
      Edwinoel Tanglaoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

There are many inconsistencies in the Koran which many scholars have questioned as on this Wikipedia url source http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_the_Qur%27an .  The Holy Bible guides God's creation in man towards redemption, and it has set the coming of the Messiah in Jesus from the beginning of creation until the birth of the Messiah, his life, death, resurrection and ascension, and the gospel writers professing the truth in God's words in Jesus until the book or Revelation which tells us of Christ's second coming and the last judgment. 

While the Koran tells of Jesus as the Messiah and being the best of all prophets, not Muhammad, Moslem Religious Leaders are said to divert from this very scripture on the Koran Ibid p. 101 for unspecified reasons, as on this url:  http://www.answering-islam.org/Quran/Co … adam.html. 

Further, it is NOT stated in the Koran that Jesus was crucified for this is all an 'illusion' just to make a point that all the Jewish plot against him was a failure, but does this not mean that the Koran is denying the crucifixion of Christ, which by virtue, taking the Christian perspective, all sins of men from the disobedience of Adam and Eve have been redeemed and in effect, we now may see the gates of heaven opened as we may learn to humble ourselves in obedience to Christ and reject Satan and his evil cohorts?

The Koran, from above source, states that Adam should be worshiped as Allah ordered his angels to do so.  If Jesus is claimed on the Koran as the Messiah, why it relegate him in a position below Adam, not worth of worship?  Is this to honor man in Mohammad more than to honor and worship Jesus who is the Son of God and Messiah?  If the Koran even states that God's words being eternal, and Jesus being God's word, does this not mean Jesus is eternal, unlike Adam who has sinned before God and was punished with Eve and made mortal?  And to note that the Koran also interestingly claims Jesus together with his mother Mary to be the only ones of sinless nature as so willed by God?

the Koran's statement  consider Christ Jesus, of virgin birth by God, with noteworthy miracles that no ordinary man has ever accomplished as empowered by the Holy Spirit, yet, it is seen to negate and contradict  what Jesus professes on the scriptures that reminds us: it is not what comes into our mouth that makes us unclean, rather what comes out of it, as in Matthew 15:11, as this offends God and others as well.  The Koran on the other hand, prohibits the eating of pork as the pig is demonic.  Is it not in the scriptures that Jesus has shown his power to drive away demons from a possessed girl as in Mark 5:6-8, therefore, if we are in him, we do not have to worry of food that we may chose to eat as long as this is made in moderation and may benefit our health?    And if we are in him, we do not fear of anyone but God, as we may have the power against all evil as we so believe in our faith?

Our God is a God of love and peace, and not of hate.  If the Koran is said to be complete, why are there added scriptures from the Koran accordingly rejected by Orthodox Muslims as heresy and inappropriate innovations, insisted by Quoranists and Moslem religious leaders as correct practices which range from stoning of adulterers, prohibition on menstruating women from entering mosques in prayer, classifying dogs as unclean animals, mention any person whom shiah consider as divinely-guided Imams, clothing restrictions on men wearing silk or gold jewelry and yellow clothes, performing and listening to music, and many more as stated on our above wikipedia source.

Since our Muslim brothers also believe of the Messiah in Jesus, I enjoin them in the love of Christ that they may see the truth in the words of Jesus and pray for divine guidance that we may all be one, together with all of mankind, in rejecting Satan and his evil ways, as we unite in Christ Jesus in our love for God and of others by truly believing that Jesus is the 'way, the truth and the life,' as he is the way to true peace and happiness, and his words are the way to life eternal.

If we all believe that we are creations of God, are we not here to obey God first, our Creator, and in Jesus our Messiah, who is God made into man, made sinless and pure, to save us from sin and from the evil one, before we may believe in a mere mortal who may be weakened by sin as he may live in the flesh, and may have not fully rejected Satan with the evil seed still planted in his system, waiting to be cleansed by the holy blood from Christ Jesus' crucified, in the forgiveness of sins.

And reading further into this site on the truth about generational curses and sins, http://www.sw-mins.org/gen_curses.html, as I pray that you may further be enlightened as you may be  renewed in the power of the love and mercy of Christ Jesus.

2. Philanthropy2012 profile image82
      Philanthropy2012posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes - soon after copyrights and patents were invented.

Philanthropy ©

All rights reserved.

2. knolyourself profile image59
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

I believe the old testament proceeds both the Koran and Christianity. The creator of the Koran may have been familiar with the old testament by book or by culture.

Jesus was a hippyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Old testament was around 900BC, New testament around 100AD and Koran around 500AD.

Give or take a few years I haven't looked up the dates for a while.

Considering the koran was recited by memory, I think it highly likely that the guy simply copied stories from the bible. It makes sense.

1. TMMason profile image60
        TMMasonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The qu'ran was no where in existence in 500 AD.

Orthodox Muslim scholarship presumes that the Qur'an was compiled in the years 646-650 C.E., but it is doubtful that the Qur'an today is the same text as then.

Very doubtful.

In Sahih Bukhari, vol. 6, pg.479, we read that there were at this time different readings of the Qur'an in the different provinces of the Muslim world. A number of the companions of Muhammad had compiled their own codices of the text. In other words, though Zaid had collated the official text under Abu Bakr, there were other texts which were circulating which were considered authoritative as well.

The two most popular codices were those of Abdullah ibn Mas'ud, whose manuscript became the standard for the area of Iraq, and Ubayy ibn Ka'b, whose manuscript became standard in Syria.

These and other extant codices were basically consistent with each other in their general content, but a large number of variant readings, many seriously affecting the text, existed in all the manuscripts such that no two codices were entirely the same

In addition, the texts were being recited in varying dialects in the different provinces of the Muslim world. During the 7th century, Arabic was composed in a so-called scriptio defectiva in which only the consonants were written. Since there were no vowels the vocalization was left to the reader. Some verbs could be read as active or passive, while some nouns could be read with different case endings, and some forms could be read as either nouns or verbs.

In other words... just a stinking mess of confabullation.

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
          Mark Knowlesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Stolen and pasted from here:

http://www.biblestudymanuals.net/quran9c.htm]#

Liars For Jesus (TM)

3. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

Or maybe God just likes to tell the same stories over and over...

Lol with little differences to keep you on your toes

4. profile image0
    Muldaniaposted 12 years ago

But the story of Noah goes back a lot further than the Old Testament.  It was itself copied from the legends of Gilgamesh, which were written around 2,700 BCE.

5. knolyourself profile image59
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

The validity of my existence is compared to others I add as better. All math.

6. ImprovSpirit profile image60
    ImprovSpiritposted 12 years ago

Plagiarism or similarly inspired...?  Besides, it is no more so than the Bible being borrowed from earlier religious teachings, or building on them.

It wouldnt be a problem if they didnt contradict eachother...

7. profile image51
    paarsurreyposted 12 years ago

Is the koran just a plagiarisation of the bible?

No Quran did not copy anything from Bible; it corrected the wrong narrations of the Bible.

One may start with the first chapter of the Quran which I give here and prove that it has been copied from Bible:

The Holy Quran : Chapter 1: Al-Fatihah الفَاتِحَة
    [1:1] In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful.
    [1:2] All praise belongs to Allah, Lord of all the worlds,
    [1:3] The Gracious, the Merciful,
    [1:4] Master of the Day of Judgment.
    [1:5] Thee alone do we worship and Thee alone do we implore for help.
    [1:6] Guide us in the right path —
    [1:7] The path of those on whom Thou hast bestowed Thy blessings, those who have not incurred Thy displeasure, and those who have not gone astray.

http://www.alislam.org/quran/search2/sh … r.php?ch=1

Now prove your point please.

My point being, mohammed heard of the bible before and made up his own version.

1. profile image51
        paarsurreyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Your point is wrong to start with; otherwise you should have proved that the first chapter is copied from which book; then you could start with the next.

I didnt make a point I asked a question. I asked IF it is plageurised. Noone can prove either way. I cannot prove that it is and you cannot prove that it isnt.

Stop making things up and claiming I made points that I didnt. I am the one you are lying about do you honesly think I wouldnt notice that you are lying about what I said?

8. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

Plagiarists for Jesus = irony.

9. profile image51
    paarsurreyposted 12 years ago

Anyone who claims that Quran is plagarised from Bible should do it chapter wise; starting from the first chapter.

Otherwise one should not mention it.

I can mention whatever I want.

The two books contradict eachother. Clearly one of them HAS to be false.

1. profile image51
        paarsurreyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Please start with the first chapter and prove with reasonable arguments that Quran is wrong to differ with the Bible.

What do I have to prove? Im not making an assertion. Do you understand the difference?

I already told you. I cannot prove that it is copied and you cannot prove that it is not copied.

Why do you make me repeat myself?

They cannot both be right, but they can both be wrong.

10. I am DB Cooper profile image63
    I am DB Cooperposted 12 years ago

Parts of the Koran were almost certainly borrowed from the Bible, but we also know the Bible borrowed a lot of material from stories that existed long before Christianity. Religions tend to do that -- it makes it easier to convert people when there are some similarities between two belief systems.

The Book of Mormon could be seen as a religious text based off the characters introduced in the Bible. In other genres, this would be considered "fan fiction", meaning it's basically a sequel but not created by anyone affiliated with the original. This differs from the Koran, which basically rewrites parts of the Bible but with minor detail changes (Christianity also does this to itself with different translations that change the meaning of entire passages).

Scientology strikes me as a rare "original" religion, but their conversion methods also involve a lot of trickery like BS "e-meters" to make people think they are damaged goods and they need Scientology to fix them.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)