Suggestion for hub pages

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (20 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Sophia Angeliqueposted 12 years ago

I have always wondered why people follow me...

a) Was it something I said?
    b) was it my frankenstein photo?
    c) Is it an expectation that I must follow them?
    d)They fell in love with my writing and want to read everything I write...

Wouldn't it be nice if we had some idea of why people were following us?

I think that HP should program that in the next time they redesign HP... smile

1. prettydarkhorse profile image61
      prettydarkhorseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think that with the range of choices/reasons why one will follow another person, the HP can't capture it all, that is why they just gave us some choices which we can tick.

Datawise, it is difficult to analyze or put an open and ended answer as to why people will follow you. There could be thousand of reasons if you have thousand of followers.

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

It's already programmed in, unless you're asking for more specifics than already applied. On a side note- fanmail is optional, not a requirement.

Some people might like your writing, some might like you because of something you said and it could even be the picture you posted.

What difference does it matter, as long as your followers do read your hubs and some do make comments, vote and give other marks, so there is freshness to your content.

But, HubPages has already arranged for people to highlight why they follow you and given them a choice of sending you mail.

So, I guess you're looking for something more specific?

1. profile image0
      Sophia Angeliqueposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes. Like a form they can tick. It never occurred to me that fan mail was anything but a compliment. What difference does it make? I don't think that followers read one. That's actually why I would like to know. My experience of followers all over the place is that they tick you for some reason and then you never hear from them again. Certainly, if they were reading me, I would get a lot more readers than I do. smile

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've ticked people off in the forums and then I find them following me. lol

1. profile image0

That's funny. smile Happy new year. smile)

1. Cagsil profile image70
            Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Happy New Year Sophia! smile It's officially here now. smile It's 12:03am! smile

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
        Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Actually that could be a good idea!

The form would say:

Please indicate why you wish to follow Jane Doe:

1.  I like her style and want to know the minute she writes something new.
        2.  She can't write to save her life but she looks like a real hottie.
        3. I couldn't care less about her but I expect her to follow me back and improve my Hubberscore.

If anyone ticked 2 or 3, a message would come up saying, "sorry, those are not valid reasons" and block the person from becoming a follower of that Hubber. 

That way, we'd have fewer people following for all the wrong reasons! smile

1. profile image0

Marisa, that's exactly where I was going. I had someone email me this evening saying that they had 'rated' my hub and would I rate their hub in return and follow them in return.

1. Cardisa profile image86
            Cardisaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Marissa, I like your ideas... lol

It would be a way to filter the "followers" from the people who are really interested in your work. Of course the explanations wouldn't be so obvious because people would just click the first one.

3. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 12 years ago

How is what you are asking for different from what already exists?  People who opt to follow you can chose to leave a fan mail, or tick one of the following: thanks, good writer, hot!, you're cool, great hubs.

I think demanding or forcing people to give a reason is inappropriate.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

+  I agree here.  I think it's kind of cheesy to make people choose a reason. 
      If they want to tick on the fan mail option, that's fine. If not, that's fine. 
      If they read our work, great, if not, what's the problem? I don't see it as an issue.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85

LOL, I'd have thought it obvious from the silly choices in my "form", that we were just having a bit of fun.

You think Sophia is taking it seriously? I hope not. I sure didn't.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85

No, but Relache and Rebekah sound like they are!

4. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 12 years ago

Why is Sophia posting here if she's not serious?  If she's just jerking everyone around she should be posting in the Sandpit...

Relache I meant Marissa's thread about the options, if Sophia thought Marissa was serious about the options Marissa posted.

5. profile image0
    Sophia Angeliqueposted 12 years ago

Actually, I am serious. I would really like to get an idea of why people follow other people when it's clearly impossible to follow as many as they do.

I don't think the fan mail gives any reasons at all. Then, again, I've never quite understood what fandom is about either.

I see people on facebook and google plus following thousands of people and I would like to understand what they gain. I now have close on 900 people following me and adding every day. I don't know any of them.

I think it would be nice to know the following.

a) I'm following you because we pretty much think alike.
    b) I'm following you because you're the kind of person I like to argue with.
    c) I'm following you because I think  you're pretty/goodlooking.
    d) I'm following you because I think it's important to look as if one has many followers and if I click on you, you might click on me, and I really don't care if it's not a genuine reflection of my work.
    e) I'm following you because everybody else seems to be following you and I like to follow the crowd. You're always safe when you follow the crowd.
    f)I'm following you because I read a lot and you write a lot.

g) whatever/??

Why do I want to know? I guess I grew up in a culture where independence of thought was taught from day one. Following someone else was the last thing on earth one did. There was a saying, "If Jack jumps into the fire, are you going to follow him there?" If one ever wanted to do something because someone else was doing it, that was said to you. So, I guess I find it quite strange that so many people follow other people. The one thing I know for sure is that only one or two in a hundred actually read one.

6. Peter Hoggan profile image69
    Peter Hogganposted 12 years ago

I guess it boils down to what each hubber deems important to them.

Why people are following you by its very nature restricts feedback to fellow hubbers, but that could be seen as important to some.

To others, the number of readers specific hubs receive might be a better indicator of what works and what is really important.

The "follow you follow me" brigade will, in my opinion, just adapt to any changes that are made and the reasons people are following you would become more difficult to ascertain.

1. profile image0

Peter, I think that's an excellent observation. You're perfectly correct. Virtually all my traffic is from search engines. I get very, very few hp readers. Not moaning about it. It just puzzles me why people would follow one if they weren't reading you.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)