What are your honest thoughts on this?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (20 posts)
  1. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 12 years ago

I've always felt that Alan Colmes was a nice guy, but I didn't like his recent comments about Rick Santorum's bringing home his (Santorum's) dead son. I don't know that it's something I'd do, but everyone handles death and grief differently, so I wouldn't judge someone's actions in such a situation. What do you think? Oh, and BTW, I'm not a Santorum supporter.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/ … ments.html

1. profile image0
      PrettyPantherposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think his comments were out of line and over the line. Way too personal and judgmental.

[The article has been updated to say that he personally called Santorum and his wife to apologize and that they accepted his apology.]

1. habee profile image93
        habeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

PP, I'm glad he apologized. Thanks.

2. TamCor profile image79
      TamCorposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I can't believe that someone could be so cold-hearted...even in jest, that goes beyond common decency, wow.  He apologized?  Well, that makes it all better, doesn't it? They all think that once they say they are sorry, that that erases the damage done--tell that to the mother, father, and siblings who suffered the loss of this precious baby.   Again, wow...the depths that some people will dive into to hurt another human being, for political reasons, just sickens me... sad 

Pretty Panther and Habee--My rant about the apology was not directed towards either of you--it was to this Colmes, and everyone else who does this sort of stunt.

I'm getting pretty fed up with the political nastiness, as maybe you can tell, but you did ask for honest thoughts. smile

3. Steve Orion profile image60
      Steve Orionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Not to defend Combs but he wasn't mocking the fact that the baby died, but the fact that Santorum took it home and showed it to his kids or something like that. According to the article, that is. That is still not right, but the headline and all the "controversy" on it is exaggerated.

1. Steve Orion profile image60

"Colmes" is the way to spell it, not "Combs." That's what I get for relying on a person lamenting the "liberal agenda" below as a spelling source.

2. habee profile image93

No, he was trying to point out how strange Santorum is so that people won't consider him as a candidate.

1. Steve Orion profile image60

Right, and used the baby thing as an example. Was what Santorum did not strange? You tell me. Good thing this isn't needed, by far, to discredit Santorum as a plausible candidate.

3. Evan G Rogers profile image61
        Evan G Rogersposted 12 years agoin reply to this

... he took his dead child home so they could play with it?

That's... fu**ing weird...

But it really is a private matter. It shouldn't be in political sphere.

4. mom101 profile image60
        mom101posted 12 years agoin reply to this

This isn't anything new.  In olden days, they didn't have funeral homes, so they brought their loved ones home for the viewing. 

It is my understanding that he also had young children at home. My guess is that he and his wife made the decision out of love for his other children in hopes to help them know what happened to their little sibling. I am positive it was a hard decision and not one of fun and games.

It is a personal matter, and even politicians should be respected as in regards to their personal lives.

4. tobey100 profile image60
      tobey100posted 12 years ago

Alan Combs probably is a nice guy however, he is also an avowed liberal Democrat and as such will do whatever it takes to advance the liberal agenda.  He no doubt sees nothing wrong with his line of questioning.

5. profile image0
      Longhunterposted 12 years ago

Alan Colmes is just one more demented, liberal Democrat that doesn't know when to shut up.

The fact that Colmes, a liberal and Democrat, actually apologized is the real news story. Most of them think they're above doing such a thing as they incorrectly think they're never wrong.

6. profile image51
      joe scaliseposted 12 years ago

I am an independent because liberals and conservative are hard to define epsecially when you allow talk show hosts represent a political party.  Itseems to me that this Colmes character is a shill who hangs around Fox for no other reason than to make liberaals look bad for money.  What he did may cross the line as far as personal privacy goes but public officials are fair game and I could just hear Hannity and Limbsugh if a Democrat brought home a stillborn for the family to bond with.  I am sorry, as innapropriate as this may seem I really don't want someone like this in the White House.  If John Q Public did this the conservatives would want to have charges of abusing a corpse brought against the person.  The BIG question here is how does one get a corpse released to them to take home from the hospital in the first place.  It is like a right wing fanatical religious Addams Family.  I think that the mainstream media should stop covering th elction and let Star and National Enquirer pick up the coverage.  How can we accept the people who are put forth as candidates for high office when reality tv could field a better slate from people who didn't make the cut for warped television.

1. cleaner3 profile image72
        cleaner3posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Don't you think that that The big question is what has happened to the mainstream media that is supposed to be the fourth estate. the supposed journalists of our country that represent the people  have been taken over by the leftists of our country. they twist the words around to mean what they want the public to percieve, such as social justice. Since when has the word illegal not meant that you were breaking the law. ILLEGAL means ILLEGAL.

2. habee profile image93

We have some Hispanic friends who are devout Catholics. When their son was stillborn, they brought him home from the hospital, which was 100 miles away. He rode in their car. Maybe it's something Catholics do?

7. WriteAngled profile image74
      WriteAngledposted 12 years ago

Sorry, I do not live in USA and have no clue what you are talking about.

1. Whimsical Chair profile image62
        Whimsical Chairposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I live in USA and I also don't know what habee is talking about.  big_smile

8. profile image0
      PrettyPantherposted 12 years ago

I personally DO think what Santorum did is strange, but I would never criticise him for it because everyone grieves and handles the death of a child in their own way.  But, if you really think about it, is it any weirder than pumping a corpse full of chemicals, dressing it in nice clothes, applying makeup and combing its hair, placing it in an expensive box, and burying it?

9. piccard11 profile image60
      piccard11posted 12 years ago

Mr. Santorum may have brought the baby home for the siblings to see because they may be too young to be in the hospital.  THey waited for nine months to meet their baby sister or brother and now would just be told it is gone and not able to understand.  I don't know the real reason, but in a world where men want to be girls and girls want to be boys, where self mutilation, sending nude pictures of one's self, sending pictures of others to hurt them I would have to say Rick looks pretty normal to me.
      Mr. Colmes is one of the more intelligent Liberals and his apology is out of character for Liberals, but being out of line to keep things going their way is normal for them.

10. cleaner3 profile image72
      cleaner3posted 12 years ago

How some people are affected by death is very complicated. Many deal with it according to their religion. The thing everyone should be talking about is is it any of your business. It is unusual for anyone to do what Santorum did, do not judge him for it. there are bigger things that we should be talking about.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)