What do you perceive as your most desperate need(s)?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (16 posts)
  1. parrster profile image82
    parrsterposted 12 years ago

Everyone of us has needs, but have you ever sought to prioritise them?
    What would they be if you did, and why?
    And are they being met?
    A final thought: do you live in harmony with your greatest needs, or disharmony?

1. parrster profile image82
      parrsterposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Blue Text
      A study by London’s Science Museum, asked 3,000 adults what they couldn't live without. The results may surprise and are as follows;
      1. Sunshine 2. Internet connection 3. Clean drinking water 4. Fridge 5. Facebook 6. NHS  7. Cooker 8. Email 9. Flushing toilet 10. Mobile phone / smartphone 11. Tea and Coffee 12. Washing machine 13. Shower 14. Central heating 15. Painkillers 16. Fresh vegetables 17. Vacuum Cleaner 18. Kettle 19. Sofa 20. Shoes 21. Fresh fruit 22. Google 23. Car 24. Hair straighteners 25. Public transport 26. Laptop 27. Chocolate 28. DVD Player 29. Wristwatch 30. Make-up 31. Flat screen TV 32. Wedding ring 33. Tumble dryer 34. Bottled water 35. Ebay 36. Bicycle 37. Ipod 38. Air conditioning 39. Disposable nappies
      40. Light bulbs 41. Spell-check 42. Sat Nav 43. Push-up bra 44. Nintendo Wii 45. iPad 46. Gym membership 47. Season ticket to your football club 48. Freezer 49. Xbox  50. Twitter

1. profile image0
        Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You do understand the difference between needs and wants? With the exception of sunshine and clean drinking water, the rest don't classify as needs.

I will say, the brits are some needy people. smile

2. Kyle Payne profile image60
    Kyle Payneposted 12 years ago

Sir, our most desperate needs are the ones that cannot be answered by reason but by faith.

3. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

I need to breath.

1. mischeviousme profile image59
      mischeviousmeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Eat, drink, sleep, deficate and mictorate.

1. garrettdixon profile image60
        garrettdixonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I believe you mean micturate.

Yes. I have attrocious spelling, but the meaning is there and that is all that matters.

2. Disturbia profile image60
          Disturbiaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have no desperate needs for myself.  I'm blesses with everything I could ever want for myself and more.  My desperation is for my oldest daughter and her inability to be happy.  She has no material wants because I have the ability to provide all that for her.  But she has a darkness inside her, an empty place that no amount of love, material things, or attention can seem to fill.  My desperate need is to somehow fill that space.

Siddhartha was bathed in finery and all of his deepest desires were attended to. The over all meaning of that is this, If my desires are fed and I am showered with finery, I am missing the bigger picture because I have been shown how to suffer through desire. When someone is down, communicate with them. Ask them what the problem is and share your wisdom, don't tell them how to act and be as gentle as possible.

4. Greek One profile image65
    Greek Oneposted 12 years ago

more cowbell

SNL refferences, Yay!!!

5. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 12 years ago

A friendly word,
    Encouragement, completely unexpected,
    A singing bird not eaten by my cat,
    A blooming flower that was so neglected.
    To know that I am still alive and not rejected
    By life,
    I really, desperately, truly need all that!

6. 2uesday profile image66
    2uesdayposted 12 years ago

It would be interesting to read the exact wording of the question that was put and also the people that they asked it of and where they were at the time they were asked the question.

Surveys can be worded or questions can be asked in such a way that they encourage a certain type of response.

I would say if you concentrate on the basic needs to support human life then most of us share the same ones.

1. Will Apse profile image89
      Will Apseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Something close to answering your question:

http://thenextweb.com/socialmedia/2011/ … -facebook/

Personally, I wouldn't take these vox pop too seriously. I doubt if many of the respondents did.

Flippant is highly respected in the UK.

7. eddiecarrara profile image94
    eddiecarraraposted 12 years ago

Cash! With out it you are limited to everything in life. I know I will have some of you say you could live with out money, that you could live with nothing as long as you have love , but if you ask me , I think a poor person said that.

Cash will buy you food, shelter, cloths, medical, and mental help for you and your family and loved ones, fuel to keep you warm, seed to plant, land to plant seeds, tools to plant, water, luxuries, and it can even buy you love. You could go to the pet store and buy mans best friend, a bed for it, food, and all the other accessories you will need to take car of it and you will have bought love, unconditional love.

And if you think for one minute you could live without Cash, answer this question. If a genie in a lamp came to you one night and asked you this( I will grant you one wish, you can have one or the other but not both. So here's the question. Do you see that wad of cash in your pants pocket? I can give you more or I can take it all from you, what's it gonna be?) If you said more, you're smart, if you said take it all, you're a liar. We need cash, even if you were to live off the land you need property and you need to pay your taxes for that land. We all need cash, it makes the world go round, like it or not!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)