Is online business a risky business?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (11 posts)
  1. sasta10 profile image61
    sasta10posted 12 years ago

Is having an online business as the only source of income risky.  Many people say they will love to quit their job for online business.  Is it safe to do so.

1. Peter Hoggan profile image69
      Peter Hogganposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I wonder why you are asking this question. Your profile states that you are employed as a SEO. Could you explain?

2. QuestionMaster profile image79
    QuestionMasterposted 12 years ago

It really depends on:

-What you're selling. If the items are seasonal or new, the shine might wear off fast or other competitors might spring up or you may only get good sales at certain times of year.

-Where your traffic comes from. If you're depending on traffic from search engines, chances are that an algorithm change could take you from page one to page five for your chosen keywords. Real world customers (those gotten from things like TV adverts, networking etc) are more likely to be lasting, as well as using things other than search engines, such as Facebook fan pages.

3. cashloanme profile image41
    cashloanmeposted 12 years ago

I think the saying is 'keep your day job' Online business or any business for that matter is risky however I think for anyone that is aggressive or wants to work for themselves should seriously consider going online to make money.

I've been working the internet for years and have learned a lot of techniques along the way and skills that certainly aid in making online business work. There is just so much potential still on the internet, but at the same time until you establish a steady income you can rely on it is not a great idea to just think its going to support you. That will come only after some pretty heavy work.

4. LeanMan profile image78
    LeanManposted 12 years ago

Yes it is risky but the rewards can be significant if you are prepared to put in the hard work required.
    It is like any other business, you have to put in effort and the rewards you receive will be in line with the effort you put in.

I have taken time out of "employment" to build a house and build an online business, I have not spent the time that I wanted to and have had many setbacks but things are beginning to go the way I want them to.
    Whilst I have not yet reached my target monthly figure I already earn more online than anyone I know locally earns in their day jobs - however I am living in the Philippines at the moment!!!

I don't just write on here - I write on a number of sites, like hubpages and sites of my own.. I don't just rely on Adsense or Amazon, I use other affiliates also.. and I am starting to promote my own products and other routes to making money online.. I am not putting all my eggs in one basket and developing one at the expense of the others..

5. profile image0
    ramboruizposted 12 years ago

There are risks in every businesses and that includes online. But this can be very rewarding. Because you’ll will not have to pay anything for your office.  This means no real estate costs buying an office building and no rental of your workspace. It even means no money spent commuting to and from work! It costs virtually ALMOST nothing to start a home-based business.

Most often you will only need a PC or laptop and an very good broadband internet connection. Now advertising will costs you a lot of money but if you understand SEO and social media marketing then you have all the advantage in the whole world wide web. And yes you can use HubPages to help people learn about your business.

6. ePetNation profile image66
    ePetNationposted 12 years ago

Yes, there is always a risk involved.. You have to really do your research. There are wonderful benefits that can be gained from having your own online business.  I recently started my own online business. I suffered through O.P.O (other peoples opinions) but now I am glad I did my research and looked into the company I work with.  I love my work from home business, I set my hours, I am home for my son.  I can take care of everything around the house and run a successful business.  When I am out, I am promoting my business.
      There is at least one great online business, a+ bbb rated. I know because I work for the company.  I am sure there are others.  I just went through so much B..S before I found the one I have now.  I almost missed the opportunity.

7. LindaSmith1 profile image59
    LindaSmith1posted 12 years ago

Ames:  How can somebody find a reliable drop ship company to work with.  Some are total rip offs, etc.

8. forhirejobs profile image40
    forhirejobsposted 12 years ago

There are risks in everything we do in life. If you are passionate about it and have a solid business plan and offering then you have a great chance of success. Notice I said chance of succeeding!

9. yui lockhart profile image61
    yui lockhartposted 12 years ago

Some say that the common mistake that small businesses commit is that they don't specify or target their market. Of course if you don't invest on something, you won't get any revenue in return. Just have the courage to start a business and plan it well. I am also planning to build my own online business.

10. Dorothee-Gy profile image64
    Dorothee-Gyposted 12 years ago

I have to say that I do not yet make my money online, so I can only guess, but I think one of the most dangerous things these days seems to be to put all your eggs in one basket. I think if you try to establish an income producing business online, you have to diversify, because otherwise you’re always running the risk that you lose it from one day to the other.

I remember a few months ago when Google changed it’s algorihtm, for many who had specifically sculpted their business according to that, it meant a huge decline in site views and correspondingly, clicks.

I think in order to be on the safe side, you need to have multiple streams of income, multiple sites, different outlets, so that nobody can just block your account and stop you from doing your business just like that, over night.

Since the internet is still pretty young as a business platform, it has some pretty archaic rules and gets more and more restrictive, I think. I know that Google can pull your account with no appeal and no option to object for you, so if you have concentrated only on that, you just start from scratch!

So my advice (that I have in mind, too, when I think about going forward with making money online) is to try to get as many sources of income going as you can.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)