Indian Government Sanction prosecution of Facebook, Google etc.

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (26 posts)
  1. jainismus profile image73
    jainismusposted 12 years ago

Government of India has sanctioned prosecution of 21 social networking websites including Facebook and Google for carrying content promoting hatred against religions and communities. Although I believe in freedom of expression, I support this decision, what about you?

1. skyfire profile image80
      skyfireposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You support this because you're religious and it's okay for you to avoid critics on your religion. It's hard for you to see that this is indian version of SOPA. I don't support it and I'll find a way out of it.

jainismusposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, I am not religious, but I do not support the people who hate other religions.

As if censorship on social network is going to stop hate? Babri was taken down due to social network content sharing? or it was taken down way before internet even existed in india?

Hating  religion other than their own is a daily routine of almost every religious person in india, people fake tolerance on their face and behavior.

As you know the religious people are immature and they are taught to hate, only strict laws can control them.

1. lobobrandon profile image88
              lobobrandonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Only common sense can regulate them they need to get more hi-tech so more social networking instead of less

2. skyfire profile image80

Sorry I am against regulations on both haters and religious people.

Note: I'm atheist and i support right to practice religion around me. I don't force my views on religious people and i don't want them to force their views on me. Feel free to call me names or anything you like, I support freedom of speech even if it gets to name calling or threats against me. More regulations,more crimes and more hate. Indians should rather control population instead of freedom of speech.

2. 910chris profile image76
            910chrisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Not to mention, this is how censorship starts. In another month or two, they will give another reason to censor some more websites. This is just an excuse and a way for them to put there foor in they door of freedom.

That's not all. India ranks second in population but they have all the censorship triggers on content shown in television. Swear words are removed and movies where there is kissing or intimate scene is taken down before broadcast. It's funny especially when people here in india with family of six kids talk about content censorship as if they're sober and they don't hesitate to abort girl in womb just to have a boy in next attempt of child birth.

2. profile image57
      WhoBeYouBeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have the right to speak ill of any religion I want, or any govt, or person, or org., etc... as long as I do not promote violence against them.

And the Indian govt should hands off the matter.

Besides what can they do... nothing.

Facebook is not subject to India for anything.

2. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 12 years ago

Websites and search engines should be strictly monitored by state officials who have been mandated to protect society and its values from malignant ideas and dangerous thoughts.

Provided, of course, that such regulation does not interfere with my AdSense revenue streams.

lol

3. jainismus profile image73

Nice thoughts, but they can not control their population as it is the only thing they can do.

Only thing government managed to control all these years is- Polio. Now it's time for freedom of speech, let their be nazi government in next decade.

4. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 12 years ago

According to my spouse, she is the only person authorized to control my thoughts and actions.

Should a government... even as far away as that in India... try to impose upon her jurisdiction, they are in for a BIG fight.

You have a great sense of humor............

1. Greek One profile image63
        Greek Oneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

it's the alcohol

5. jainismus profile image73

Think this other way. Monitoring these social networking sites can create employment. What you think?

Are you kidding me. They're not going to create employment, they're going to torture social network companies for money to get election funds and other stuff. I guess you have no idea how much freedom is going to get compromised in this, don't you? If these companies fly out of india because of this censorship or even if they block content by staying here, many indians will wander naively with lack of knowledge about world and religion. Not only that they'll lose rights to criticize the religion. Don't you see millions of bucks wasted in temples like shirdi and being used for political purpose, try to voice against it and you'll be in jail. You like this type of control on people don't you?

Hey... that is just a joke, do not take it seriously. By the way most Indians do not want to to get any new information and knowledge, for them social networking sites are just for fun and entertainment, or to criticize others and show superiority complex.

Is there any difference between Freedom of expression and freedom of abusing?

I guess you've lived your time of life being a conservative and you don't care about freedom of expression of next generation. This is the reason you find humor in all this. Fair game. You have no idea about the effects of censorship, you just care for your pseudo religious sentiments. Oh wait, you're jain aren't you? As your religion rarely gets ridiculed, why you even bother if other religions are ridiculed on the internet? Are you just supporting this crap just for timepass? or so-called indian pseudo intellectual stance?

Speak for yourself, don't assume about others saying -"By the way most Indians do not want to to get any new information and knowledge", when you say this on public forum hosted on united states, you're literally making fun of yourself (and likes of you in india) with limited world view of yours. What do you know about indians? what do you know about indians working online? What do you know about social network and sites that broadcast subjective content? Nothing.

You're representing yourself here and not the rest of the indians. I disagree with all your generalized views and your views about rest of the indians don't resonate with me. So if you're in delusion about ALL indians using social network for show off and entertainment then you're totally wrong. I use social network for work(fan page promotions) and to express myself. Your type of folks are standing in between my business and freedom. If your sentiments gets abused due to my freedom of expression, change the site or switch off the internet at home. This type of action, suits people like you. Afterall religious people should be sharing their sentiments with god, not with people online.

As for difference between freedom of speech and abuse, you do know libel and slander laws exist in almost every government. India is no exception. If any religion or religious person has no b**ls to take criticism then they should be joining talibanis and rename this nation as "Afghanistan" instead of "india". Why don't you ask all indian womens to get burqa because by not seeing any women in burqa, hurts the sentiments of many people who can't hold their emotions, isn't it? You should support more talibani laws.

1. Reality Bytes profile image74
            Reality Bytesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Wow you nailed it, I was going to comment but I am not following this.

2. Greek One profile image63
      Greek Oneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have spent my life monitoring various adult sites, and have spent, not made, thousands of dollars as a result

1. 910chris profile image76
        910chrisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Then I beileve you are the one who has helped those sites employ more, eh models.

6. jainismus profile image73

skyfire, you have written what I wanted. Thanks for writing it.

7. Yaduvanshi profile image58
    Yaduvanshiposted 12 years ago

It is difficult understand the true intentions

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)