Infringement Questions

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)
  1. Whitney05 profile image83
    Whitney05posted 14 years ago

I have one of my hubs posted in 11/26/2007 copied in various places. I've been contacting and working on it for a while now. I have a question. One of the blogs that copied the info is on a free wordpress blog. They want proof outside of anything published online that it is my content. Does anyone have any ideas?

The blog was posted on 4/13/2008.

2. livewithrichard profile image72
    livewithrichardposted 14 years ago

Gather proof that the content is actually yours. A registered document with the US Copyright office is best but if you don't have it registered then you need to use proof from a third party online, i.e., an electronic copy (save a browser copy) of Google's cache of your page or website with a date. Hopefully you have already done this previous to the date the content was stolen. Alternatively, if you allowed anyone else to post the data on their site, with your permission, possibly in a newsletter with a date on it PREVIOUS to the copyright infringement, then include that URL in your letter. If your website with the stolen content has been online more than 1 year you can provide a link to the Way Back Machine which keeps copies of websites and will provide 3rd party proof who had the content online first. This does not prove ownership but does prove when it was first published.

These are not my words...lol I stole them from here http://www.loriswebs.com/stop-stolen-content.html

3. Lissie profile image74
    Lissieposted 14 years ago

Thats outrageous Whitney - maybe HP can give you a statement - but hello why is up to you to prove its yours?

4. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

Since we (on HubPages) have no control over the date recorded for each Hub (which shows on "My Account") I would think some kind of "back up" by HubPages (confirming the date and stating that you have no control over what's on record) ought to  do it.  Usually, it is the date of any material that automatically "marks" the copyright.

5. Whitney05 profile image83
    Whitney05posted 14 years ago

livewithrichard, that sounds complicated.. I didn't have any of that before the content was copied.

Lissie, I agree. They said that because there is a lot of info on that topic, they can't prove it's mine that was actually stolen. The hub was written as flagship hub, which has to be approved as non-duplicate before it's able to be published. Since then, that hub has been replicated on a number of blogs and sites. It's even been used as the video description on YouTube a few times. Right now, there's a place on YouTube that has it copied, but I can't seem to find it, as the link HubPages gives me is to a profile and it's nowhere on the profile (although, I'm not sure if the duplicate thing is working right, as it's told me a few sites for other hubs have my content but my content isn't on the site anywhere.).

Lisa, the only thing I could think of was a print screen of the published date.

6. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Whitney, listen to Richard, he makes a lot of sense. It is really easy, here is your HP profile on wayback machine smile

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://hub … /Whitney05

just copy-paste there url of your hub, and you will see how it looked waaaaaaaay back smile

7. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

Couldn't you e.mail HubPages, and request that someone do a quick and "official" verification that the Hub was written when your account shows it was?  I'd think having someone else say you have no control over the date that shows on "My Account", and having them further back-up that it is the accurate date, may do it.

8. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
    pauldeedsposted 14 years ago

If the site it's hosted on is reputable, all that should be required is a valid DMCA request - no back and forth, and no further evidence necessary.  Under DMCA your statement of fact is sufficient without further evidence, and the content should be removed fairly quickly upon their receipt of your request (or they can lose their safe harbor protections).

To deal with false claims, there is a DMCA counter claim procedure, and the potential for lawsuits.  It rarely comes to that.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)