Non Disabled People Please answer This

Jump to Last Post 1-31 of 31 discussions (95 posts)
  1. FloraBreenRobison profile image60
    FloraBreenRobisonposted 12 years ago

I am a disabled person who cannot type with both hands. This apparently makes my argument that people should not agree to work for less than a cent per word worthless. It was the subject of my latest hub. I am not trying to direct traffic to myself. I want non-disabled people to do my arguing for me. So I ask non-disabled people who can type 60 words per minute and who work from home - would you work for less than one cent a word?

1. lobobrandon profile image87
      lobobrandonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No I write for a minimum of $1 per 100 words. That too just because I'm beginning once I get the reputation it will increase because on elance I've got fantastic rating and feedback looking forward to the future big_smile

1. couturepopcafe profile image59
        couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's a penny a word.

1. davenmidtown profile image67
          davenmidtownposted 12 years agoin reply to this

he knows that... lobobrandon is ... well.. brilliant.

Like I said that's the minimum and that is for a charity organisation. So a little help from my side is good isn't it? Didn't I say I charge $3 per 100 words for normal people?? You'll jump to conclusions too fast and seriously I wouldn't mind writing for the organisation for free but they refuse to accept. I was happy though smile

It's an organisation that provides support to the homeless children

2. AEvans profile image72
      AEvansposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am not disable and even if I were, I would not work for less then a penny.

2. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 12 years ago

I have dictation software and can write Hubs by talking.  Have you considered something like that?

3. FloraBreenRobison profile image60

I have  considered it, but I have heard that when you have a cold your voice isn't recognized. What is the name of your program you use?

1. Bendo13 profile image77
      Bendo13posted 12 years agoin reply to this

What if you set up two user accounts...
      A FloraBreenRobison one
      And a FloraBreenRobison with a cold one?

Then it might recognize both versions... might be a bit of a hassle though to teach it twice, or however it works.

FloraBreenRobisonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oooh, can you do that? That would be helpful, but a long time to do.

4. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 12 years ago

I use Dragon Dictate.  I have a Hub about it, you can look it up on my profile page.

In my experience, it's when you mumble or rush over words that the software has trouble.

Okay, thanks for the further information on that.

2. davenmidtown profile image67
      davenmidtownposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I use it from time to time but when I did have a cold it didn't do so well... for the most part is it good.  I also find though that it takes me out of the creative writing zone and into the editing zone quickly.

I tend to write my original draft in (gasp!) pencil and paper for my creative writing.

3. Jean Bakula profile image92
      Jean Bakulaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This is to relache,
      I'm glad you brought up Dragon Dictate, I considered buying for my husband for Christmas. He never learned how to type the real way, and it's almost painful to watch him pick letters using the "two finger" style. I think I'll check it out.

5. LindaSmith1 profile image61
    LindaSmith1posted 12 years ago

I have done it, but it is for short quips at less than 100 words, sometimes a wee bit more, that are easy to do, without any research needed.  Ordinarily, no way!

That seems to be a main theme - if the work is easy yes, if it requires research, then no.

1. recommend1 profile image60
        recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Also take into consideration the situation of some people. If you are stuck in the house with no income or ability to earn it then the money issue becomes more about getting something rather than nothing. 

Also yemember you are competing with excellent writers from other countries, here in China 1 cent is  $5 for 500 words,  $5 is Y40 and this buys an above average restaurant meal, or 7 packs of ok quality ciggies, or enough good food from the market to feed a family of five 3 meals in the day. When many people live an ok lifestyle by earning half that rate per hour, and they have excellent English, then the competition is fierce.  In India $5 will buy even more I believe, and they have innumerable good English writers.

Here in Canada there are things sold at a dollar stores, but overall things are quite expensive. Rent is quite often $800 a month for a small place. To write for that amount if you cannot type 60 words a minute or more - and that is typing ability not writing ability - would be to make you homeless in very short order. I never said anything about my ability as a WRITER. I was talking about my ability as a TYPIST.

2. lobobrandon profile image87

Hmm $5 is just rupees 250 & an average meal is 50. So for a family of 3 like you say just to survive and manage to pay your bills you will need a minimum of $20 a day with basic facilities

6. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 12 years ago

At 60 words per minute one could earn $36 per hour for straight transcription or other kinds of copying.  Yes I would do that, particularly as I type considerably faster than that.

Would I research and write a hub for that amount, including formatting and everything else that goes into a hub?  Not a chance.

Thanks for the information. This is what I wanted to know. The project in question I had tried to do did indeed involve research, not just something on a topic I knew about.

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I do not normally do much research on my hubs, except for keyword considerations, preferring to write on something I already know very well.

Nevertheless it takes me hours to write a 1500 word hub.  I could type it in under 15 minutes with ease, but not in capsules, with headers.  And Amazon capsules with product links.  And photos that need cropped and adjusted.  And links to other hubs built into it.  And eBay capsules with appropriate searches.  And tags.  And summary.  And good SEO throughout the hub.  Maybe an appropriate video or poll capsule.  A targeted RSS feed for similar, appropriate subjects.

There is just far too much that goes into good online writing to do it for a penny a word.

Then the minimum you need to charge if research is needed will be $5 per 100 words as you write well. I charge just one client the $1 per 100 as she needs just re-writing in my own words so it's like copy paste. Like wildy says formatting etc like a hub is priceless I won't do it.

7. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 12 years ago

I won't do anything for less than $50 an hour unless I'd do it for free.  The less I like the work or the people I am working for, the higher the rate and at some point, I just won't no matter what the pay.

I volunteer my time with music organizations here. It was not a matter of who the client was or who my supervisor was. as for the $50 you charge - I am unable to edit translations, but I know that people who do edit translations charge around $60.00 an hour. It really matters what the type of job is.

1. recommend1 profile image60
        recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

The type of work is everything - I edit translation that pays 100 Yuan per thousand words.  My Chinese friend with excellent English can take 2 hours to filter those words and make the changes and so works for Y50 per hour, a normal hourly rate for teachers here, I take about 20 to 30  minutes (depending on the subject and quality of the translation)  and so earn generally around Y200 per hour, about what I get paid for teaching here not including lesson prep etc. that's $30 per hour.

I got your point above about it being about the typing not the writing, and the same applies in that there are many people doing everything to do with getting words out.

I used dictation software when it first came available and it was not so good but they tell me that it is excellent now.  It takes a little while to modulate your voice to suit the recorder and eliminate mistakes that must be edited by hand later - but I would think it would be the way for you to go if typing is the issue.

Yes, that is the way I need to go, even ignoring the bidding sites or cent per word basis. I simply cannot type fast enough when I have to do research  to make ends meet as I can only stare at the computer screen for a certain length before my eyes hurt. When research was in print media, research didn't take the amount of time it does for me now because my eyes were not bothered.

1. Rain Defence profile image78
            Rain Defenceposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Turn the brightness down on your monitor. Most people have theirs too high. Default settings are always too high so if you haven't changed it, do it.
            My monitor brightness is set to 5/100 and it's fine. You'll find it's easier on your eyes if you haven't done this already.

Thanks for that information. That will be a big help.

8. Dawn Conklin profile image68
    Dawn Conklinposted 12 years ago

I don't think it should matter how fast you type depending on the site.  On sites where they pay you per article but don't require you to type it in 15 minutes, how fast you type shouldn't make a difference.  No I don't think you should have to accept less then a penny per word.  On one site, I was rated a 4 out of 5 and my per word pay is 0.14 so for 100 words I would get $1.40.  I am ok with that as it doesn't take any time at all to write 100 words really.  I am not sure how fast I type.  If you have to do any research you definitely shouldn't take less then the penny a word as there are sites out there that will pay a little more.

Okay. This was a bidding site.  Up until last year, all my published work was in print media.

9. melbel profile image95
    melbelposted 12 years ago

I won't write for less than three cents per word. That said, when I first started writing on the Internet, I only charge one cent per word. I hadn't built a portfolio in order to show prospective buyers my skill. Currently, I use my HubPages profile as my portfolio.

If you are accepting anything less than one cent per word, disabled or not, you are either getting ripped off or have poor writing skills. (It's usually the former from what I've seen, but I have come across some terrible "writers" who shouldn't even be charging for their work.)

From what I read in your OP, you appear to be a competent writer and are likely to make more than one cent per word.

With the deadline required to complete the assignment - and my typing speed - I got little sleep and when that happens, my ability to think clearly goes way down to the point where I do not even know what day of the week it is.

editing added later - I couldn't always find any information at all online. I said therefore things like There is no website or address unknown. Factual, but negative.

10. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Hey Flora,

Here is the Relache's hub on Dragon Dictation Software. Just so you don't have to go looking for it through her 200 hubs. smile

http://relache.hubpages.com/hub/dictation-software

As for me, I don't plan on making that decision. I've no intention on writing articles for money for other people. wink big_smile

However, I say do what you must and charge what you feel comfortable with charging. smile

Thanks for the address. I appreciate you finding it for me. She does have a lot of hubs smile and thanks for thoughts on my question a swell.

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You're quite welcome. smile

11. LA Girl profile image60
    LA Girlposted 12 years ago

Have you seen the new computers that you can speak into and it will type what you say.  Might be worth saving up for, from another disabled person

No, I haven't seen them. I will need to save up for one, but that sounds like a great idea.

12. davenmidtown profile image67
    davenmidtownposted 12 years ago

I sometimes do...but it depends on the project and how free I am to work the project without interference.  I will say that since I write for other people and I work from home... that it also depends on my client. I try to keep them happy since I have a nice set of clients who keep me busy.  For the most part, however, I agree with Flora... there is not a great need to work for less then 1 cent per word.

Ah yes, the interference I get from my cat who doesn't want me to be on the computer all the time smile

13. LeanMan profile image80
    LeanManposted 12 years ago

I would rather write the articles for myself and put them here or elsewhere, if you write a 600 word article you would be paid $6 at your rate, but if it sits on here you may only get back 20c from adds every month or you may do considerably better but that is every single month for the next several years if it is an evergreen topic, plus sales from amazon and ebay or other affiliates (if any are still allowed!)My hubs on here have certainly made me more than a penny a word since I have been here!

I would rather write for myself than for others any day.. I am willing to wait to get higher rewards for my efforts than grab what I can get today...

14. LoriSoard profile image65
    LoriSoardposted 12 years ago

I type 120 w.p.m. on my best day, average about 95-100 on most days. I would NEVER write for .01 a word, except for a cause where I know the income will build over time and I retain all rights, so I am not limited in my earnings. For example, HubPages is a form of residual income. I might make less than .01 a word the first month, but after that I might begin to make much more. I consider this different.

However, writing for a publisher or anyone else, I would not do it unless I was able to gain extreme exposure and retained all rights to my work. Hope that answers your question.

Yes it does. Thank-you.

15. Cardisa profile image87
    Cardisaposted 12 years ago

Being the persistent person I am I must tell my side of this bizarre story since this thread is all in honor of the work relationship between Flora and myself and what transpired.

I live in a country where $1 = $85+ so earning US$20/day would mean $30,000+ per month. I have never lived outside Jamaica, so if someone living in a country where that money would make no sense than it's up to them to refuse the job. It is unfair to expect every one around the world to agree to the same price on jobs. Every situation is different and so are the economies around the world; and what might be below "poverty line" for you could mean a well earned living for me. $30,000 is the salary of a receptionist or junior admin assistant in Jamaica so why would I refuse a job that pays that well, working only 4 hours per day?

I know you think that hub was motivated towards you but frankly, you take things too personally. You need to step back and views things objectively at times. My hub on "descriptions" was no way intended as a disapproval or to criticize you or your writing.

Hey Cardisa $20 a day turns out to Rupees 30k a month as well big_smile Same value huh  big_smile

1. Cardisa profile image87
        Cardisaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes Brandon. Maybe now people can view this issue objectively.

When I wrote my hub about descriptions I had no idea anyone would take offence to it. My fiancé keeps telling me that maybe I expect others to be like me and that is not a reasonable expectation. I don't let things like this bother me. If it were me, and trust me I have had bad working experiences, I wouldn't be offended in the least.

I had bad experiences as well!

2. FloraBreenRobison profile image60

I just read this post more thoroughly. This thread is not about you. I don't care about the cost of living in Jamaica. I care about the cost of living where I live and that is why I quit the assignment, plain and simple. Write your own hub telling your side and leave me alone. Trying to appease your side of the story has taken up my whole morning. I think it is likely that our friendship cannot be maintained if you insist that this is all about you. I can't deal with people who hear that I live in poverty and then say why  haven't you answered my email. Please do not write me again about this. Write your hub about your side and LEAVE ME ALONE. I had no idea we would be writing for so little.  My world does not revolve around you. This whole experience is becoming toxic to my mental health.

Being disabled does not give you the right to be rude. I have been nothing but supportive, encouraging and understanding to you. And you know the truth. You know by your "private comment' to me about the hub, your statements in the hub you wrote and the rude reply to me on your hub, that this is all about the fact that I, Carolee, took a job that pays the amount you spoke about, and that you were a part of the project. So quit being rude and insulting to me. I have been not in any way rude to you.

So Yes Flora, no more apologizing to you for offending you. No more understanding your point of view and and no more being your friend. I WILL leave you alone.

2. Pollyannalana profile image61
      Pollyannalanaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Cardisa, she has no reason at all to talk to you like that, but the best you can do is avoid people like this if hubpages is going to allow them to harass and turn things to make themselves look like a victim. Take her number now, tear it up and throw it over your shoulder! You have talent and people love you, don't worry about crazy ravings. I have learned the hard way and I don't want to see that happen to you. Please don't judge normal Americans by her.

I am not an American anymore. I am Canadian .

2. Cardisa profile image87

Thanks Polly! I am done feeling bad about it!

Cardisa you have nothing to feel bad about just let this topic go away. There's no need to interact here.

16. profile image0
    woofydog53posted 12 years ago

Flora,,,,just a thought. I'm not familiar with any of the voice activated writing programs, but spent several years in the recording industry. There were references here about certain hassles with using such a system, I'm guessing from an editing point of view. But for research and rough drafts, why could you not use a common tape recorder with a "frame" counter. That way you could edit whatever was recorded to your liking, including doing research, removing whatever unnecessary hesitations and info. When completed,,,,play the recording to the writing program,,,,,,the program, of course , having been prepared for your "recorded" voice as well as your natural spoken voice,,,,,,,,I'd also be interested in knowing the cost of such a program,,,,,,,,

17. LindaSmith1 profile image61

Woofy:  Many use a program which actually does the typing as person speaks such as the Dragon. The issue is with words like synonyms,etc. The writer has to reread and edit because the machine does not type all words correctly.

18. profile image0
    woofydog53posted 12 years ago

Thanks LindaSmith,,,,,,I see how it could be a real pain,,,,,but if one types slowly to begin with,,,,would it not be worth the hassle and less time consuming to use the "Dragon" and edit as needed,,,,??   Again,,,,not being familiar with these programs I'm not seeing the pitfalls and the length of time it takes to deal with them.  The time element and hassle would have to be balanced out. Certainly for a person typing 75+ wpm this might translate into a waste of time. I guess the question would be,,,,at what point is this system an advantage over manual typing,,??  Thanks again for the info,,,,,,,

19. LindaSmith1 profile image61

Woofy: The Dragon is not for lazy typers, so to speak. It was designed for those who have physical challenges so that they can be productive. Some could not obtain an office job without the Dragon being provided. It was not designed for those who think speaking into a machine that does the typing for you is a cool idea and less work. Let's say someone has rheumatoid arthritis. They may not be able to type as long as an able bodied person can. The Dragon takes away the constant typing for them. They can then go back an edit their material even though time consuming, may be easier and less painful than typing an entire paper for college, or an entire article.

My Dad - he is woofy. You can see the resemblance smile  )

20. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image80
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years ago

I can type faster than sixty words per minute when I wish to, and I'm worth FAR more than a penny per word.

I can't imagine any reason why being disabled would have ANYTHING to do with how much a writer's work is worth, or how much a writer is willing to work for.

I'd love to see that argument...as I'd flush it with a few keystrokes and simple logic.

See Cardisa's reply to me on the hub which I transcribe here that "It all depends upon how fast you can type!" punctuation included.
      I point out my disabled hand because everyone starts out slow typing. With training and practice, you can become a speed typist. I wanted to avoid this advice and then have to say that I will only ever be able to type with one hand.

as you can see by the comments made about dictation software, I am getting lots of valuable information. It was a legitimate question.

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image80
        Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years agoin reply to this

How many words someone can type and all that - is totally irrelevant.

If someone is paying for writing, then I think anyone should think more highly of their writing than to take a penny per word for it.

If I was getting paid a penny per word - I'd never edit anything, and I'd not stop to think much about what I was saying either.

Dollar per word, and I'm giving the best that I can come up with and customer service along with it!!!!

21. FloraBreenRobison profile image60

Cardisa - I had been planning on writing this hub about the ability to make a living for a long time. I have written a series of hubs about my ability to raise money as I have been
    UNEMPLOYED FOR 13 MONTHS. Dad was forced to lay me off when he had to declare BANKRUPTCY. I am a one income household and I am living below the poverty range.
    One was about how I couldn't raise funds on  goods that were high priced when originally bought but worth little when resold because they were made in Asia.

One was about the fact that Dad wanted me to assess jewelry that I had already sold which his girlfriend made me especially for me. This got me in a panic because I was afraid of hurting him that I had sold the jewelry made especially for me.
    And one was a plea to people on bidding sites not to agree to do jobs for less than one cent per word.
    I will be writing more about my journey to try and avoid becoming homeless like what has happened to millions of people around the world.

For ME I can't afford to work for as little as people who live in Asia. I know that. This hub is not about your article. My private message to you was about that article.

In fact, if you bothered to read the comments people made earlier in my hub you will see that I went out of my way to avoid revealing you as a person willing to work for less than one cent because I thought that might reflect badly on you if people knew that. So I told you not to comment on my article. You did anyway.

In doing that you said, and I quote:
    "It all depends upon how fast you can type!"
    Well, that got me thinking. Maybe it is a typing issue. Maybe people who can type with both hands and at high speeds will work for less. and here I was interested in people who work from home since you pointed that out too. If it turned out that it was a typing issue, I was going to write another hub saying.

It turns out that it is not a typing issue. It is an investment issue. For people who are only typing out what other people have dictated on tape, for example, yes, less than one cent a word is fine,. For people who had to do research, no not at any speed.

This is much bigger than you. This is about me trying to make a living in Canada.

Flora, when I made that statement, it was not meant to point out your speed. If you noticed I proceeded to calculate how much a person typing at a particular speed could earn. It was only meant in reference to earning by typing, not writing abilities.

Again, I seem to have offended you. How many times do I need to apologize for you to forgive me?

I did send an email to you explaining everything and you did not reply.

It is not about you, Cardisa. It is about me. It was a legitimate question I asked about typing speed that I ask here. Because I will never be able to type fast, this option to work for less money like those who live in asia where the cost of living is low  I thought that maybe I had no business writing the article I did.
        I don't know why you revealed yourself on this thread.

I haven't had time to respond to your private email yet. I will do so now. Although it can hardly be considered private now.

I have written you an email accepting your apology. Now, can I get back to trying to find out a way to pay my bills? My world does not begin and end online.

22. LindaSmith1 profile image61

Flora: A lot of the writing sites have those in Asia, and other countries who will work for peanuts which drives down the pay for articles by those who live in the U.S., Canada, etc where the cost of living is high. There are sites who look for writers without having to bid, just simply pick a job, do it and get paid which is what I do, but it is for USA writers only. My suggestion to you is to look at a job, determine how much research will be needed and then decide if it is worth your time or not, and how much easier jobs will you miss by doing a difficult one. Those articles add up over time. Then again, stop and think what we earn from article submission sites for 400 word articles, which is less than a penny a word in the long run.

Yes, I will have to find sites like that for Canadians. I ran into that problem with Textbroker which I had heard was a good site for content writers. I am through with bidding sites, anyway. It is a bit of a Catch-22. But I will look for these sites you mention. Thanks.

Hey Linda and everyone else here. No matter how well you write there are so many who say native US only by so many I mean 90%!! and at times they include England (not even the whole of britan) and Canada. So you can't say people take them all. Btw I know that there are so many Americans as well doing jobs for dirt cheap and Asians doing it for higher than the competitive rates

23. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 12 years ago

For info.  If you have Word it already has the capability to do Speech recognition.  It's a simple tool setting somewhere, Google for info.  Pair of headphones and a microphone for ten dollars and you can try it out.  It's not brilliant.  Laughable sometimes, but then you have to train it by reading passages of text which it gives to you to learn your voice.  I got bored with it.

Speech recognition funny... someone tried looking up Julian Assange via Siri the other day and it thought they said "Julian, a sandwich".

Ok, it's not that funny.  But what do you expect for a dollar a word?

My bills in the post.

Oh, Mark. I love you humour. It gives me much needed laughter.

24. FloraBreenRobison profile image60

I am canadian. Thankyou. I have stopped following her, blocked her from my feed and she has been harassing me. Thankyou.

25. FloraBreenRobison profile image60

For those of you who have suggestions for how I can make a living in my part of the world, email me privately as I am unfollowing my own thread.

26. FloraBreenRobison profile image60

Polly: When you make $550.00 a month via government check and the minimum wage in Canada is $8 an hour but is still below the povertyline, you do indeed become ticked off.

1. profile image0
      Breen Bergstromeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

MLA for Surrey, BC, Jagrup Brar  accepted  a "Raise the Rates" welfare challenge to live on $610.00/month and will soon run out of money after rent, food and bus pass (notice no money for a phone) .. He found himself with $55.00 left for the rest of January...that means finding outlets that feed the starving and "binning" for pop cans, returnables for pennies...
      in other words he has learned it is impossible to live on $610.00/mo, the allocated government assistance wage that's below poverty.
      I don't know what the solution is..there's so much competition and thanks to the internet it's worldwide now with technology accelerating at mind-boggling speed.
      Quote I saw recently..write something worth reading or do something worth writing about...something like that..
      What a disappointment the art print business has been...we both are trying to live off the arts and at best it's never easy I guess.  Keep plugging and try to ignore the negative energy...

Breen, all I was trying to point out was that I had no idea what it was like living in Canada, let alone, what it was like for Flora. I also tried to explain why I would consider and have taken jobs that pay a certain amount of money and that what would be below poverty line for some, would be okay for others.

I do understand, because I have been there. But that does not give her the right to be rude. I have never treated her like anything but a normal person because I like her and I always see beyond her disabilities. I don't separate people based on physical disabilities because I believe all are made equal.

2. Jackie Lynnley profile image86
      Jackie Lynnleyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Cardisa would never harass anyone and having a handicap is not a license to bully, or at least I hope not!

1. profile image0

Hey you three,
        Flora is not a rude, crude or cruel person.

This episode has taken a life of it's own now, with hubbers like Jackei Lynnley and Polyanalana throwing in junk of their own with your unkind remarks.  Flora's intent was to answer questions in her own mind by beginning this forum.  What a shame to use it as your platform to undermine.
        I believe it is time to stop this ridiculous batting of heads and get back to your own hubs.  Cardisa, you are very popular and needn't stomp....the other two I've never read so I don't know what THEIR interests are in trying to belittle.  Nothing but ill will has been accomplished here and that's a shame.

Mom - What a headache! All I want is do to figure out how to earn a living before May when the program is finished and I have 0 money coming in. I have never heard of Jackie. I have heard of Pollyanna who decided this was her business. an American dollar is equal to .98 Canadian. In other words, it is equal. I am actually gettin gthe same So .6 of a cent per word as Cardisa's bid was getting is .6 of a cent Canadian. Meanwhile, if they - the two not involved Cardisa is but who are the other two -bothered to read my hub, I was not sleeping, I was neglecting my cat, I was not able to keep food down and I was very ill as I had to work 18 hour days to complete this Florida segment. Late. I said so in my hub. I revealed ALL of my screw ups in the hub.

This thread has caused more stress to me  than anything else other than when I nearly lost my cat.  I begged Cardisa on my hub in the comments to not reveal who she was and in a private comment to her on another hub  and she did anyway. She did not maintain confidentiality and for that I cannot trust her anymore. as such, I had no choice but to stop following her as I was literally cringing every time I got notice that she had posted on this forum. Silly, yes?

But yes, Cardisa has 500 followers.  she passed that wonderful milestone recently.

Meanwhile, I am not one of them anymore. Too sad. But but stressful.

27. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 12 years ago

Internet forums are not always the best place to be.  A misconstrued comment in one place or another, a quick response, and a pointless argument ensues.

Without wanting to take sides, score points or any of those utterly pointless exercises I just want to say I sympathise with your situation Flora, and in internet terms, I like you.

I wish you all the best.

This is a very rare excursion into supportive for me.  It doesn't happen very often.

I know how rarely you post anything Mark. wink

I thought that fury was for religion and politics. I didn't know that a forum about my inability to type with both hands was political, but it is.  No I do not care about sides on anything. I just want to be left alone so that I can focus on my life. My disability is related because it is an internet world and you must type fast. It is related because when you shake hands to meet people, it is with your right hand. Odd that. But that has kept me with anxiety disorder about job interviews with strangers. I have only worked for family or friends. The truth is that people who know me - truly know me - know that I have deep seated issues over my disability and that saying things like I inspire them which I have also gotten are the most painful at all. Silly comments like Jackie's are easily dismissed from my mind.  I want to be "normal." I do not want to be "special" How is that for bad self-esteem.
      Only a disabled person who is disabled in the same way can truly know what it is like. I have no idea what it is like to be paralysed, for example. I wouldn't dream of telling my friend's late fiance that I knew what it was like to be him.
      Meanwhile, disabled people can fight for themselves.

Cardisa  inadvertantly -not on purpose - managed to hit me in my deepest soul. Her fiancee is indeed right. She cannot expect others to act the way she does.  But in defending herself she invaded my privacy. And *that* is when I lost it. Not before. Before I was simply debating a policy. Then it became personal.

Flora I heard that tuition classes give you lots. You could teach lower grades up to 5th Grade. It would be nice and you would earn as well. At the beginning you may get just a few students but it will be nice.

I would love to do that if I can afford to complete my 5th year. Thanks.

What are you good at other than writing?

Mention even hobbies there's got to be many things possible.

I am a singer so I could busk on street corners. I read books extensively and watch a lot of classic films. I have pet sit before for free. I could do that. Yes, I need to expand on my hobbies.

You could pet sit. That would be great. Also there are people who have aquariums and go on holidays for a few days you could take care of them as you would only need to give them the food provided by the owners and not clean the tank or anything because its going to be for a few days. Everything you love to do can be expanded. Like you say dogs, there are many other things. Dont go to the extreme case as street singing and all that stuff

28. LindaSmith1 profile image61

Lobo: You must not have been to Freelancer much.

Flora: Let's get serious here if some can quit bashing you long enough.  I don't know anything about what may be available to you in Canada.  But, in the USA, we do have a program called Vocational Rehabilitation. They test applicants, send them for medical evals and pay for it. Once all the paperwork is done, those who qualify can get retrained for something that they are capable of doing and have passed the required tests. Vocational Rehab will send people to college. Maybe you need to look into a program that is like Vocational Rehab or one of the other gov't assistance programs to get help returning to school doing something that will support you, yet without the worries as to how to pay for that training.    Try checking into self-help groups and get support and ideas from those in the same boat as you are. My MIchael was at home, on disability, on life support and a quad, and US does not pay much more than what you are getting, so I understand your panic.  When he died, it was 2 incomes supporting this household, and I lost both of them. I was luck enough to find a company where I did well with the writing jobs, which is the one I told you about but it is for USA only. We have street performers here who do well. Crafters are making various things and sell them on Etsy dot com. Do some checking and see if there are those who might do some fund raising to help you hang on until you are able to find a viable solution. Flora: I hate to say this to you but this is the reality for the disabled

Rich take care of the rich
    Others get by comfortably but no frills
    Group who struggles daily but manages
    The disabled, are on the bottom of it all and get the crumbs if there are any crumbs left. The disabled have to find their own way to survive, because the government sure as blue blazes is not going to do much for them, and even here, they are doing less and less for the disabled, unless they are addicts who want to do nothing but get high and not work at all.

linda - yes, sadly I am aware of plight of the disabled. I have read before about your situation and Michael but have not commented. Thankyou for your detailed comment. I expect you are probably right about  there being a similar  program in Canada. I will have to do some research.

My parents have been finding me work all my life. Mom and I were hoping  through our own business of selling prints of her paintings to make a decent living, but well, prints do not sell that often either. It is via this program that I am getting money. It is a self-employment program. I don't qualify for anything else because -as is the nature with most family businesses - the time I spent working for my father did not contribute to any employment insurance coverage, so I never qualified for EI.

thankyou again for this wonderful comment.

and the red tape! Yes indeed.

29. FloraBreenRobison profile image60

I must say that I find it interesting that two of the three people arguing with me made no other comment on this thread. Think of it. It's not as if anyone who made a previous comment on the thread is bashing me. If someone had,then that would have carried more weight as that person has likely read every comment on the thread.

C'est la vie.

1. profile image0

Well, there it is Flora.
      You grew out of all this..sometimes abit painful, but you've risen above, acknowledging and accepting what you cannot change...that's the wisdom we search for.
      Love, love

30. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

Hi Flora:

You might want to try Textbroker UK, they accept Canadians
    http://www.textbroker.co.uk/a/home.php

The pay doesn't look great but I've heard it does get better, and the articles seem easy to write. I haven't started writing there yet but was accepted.

You also might want to try WordsofWorth.co.uk. I write blog posts for them, $5 for 250 words.

I didn't know there  was a UK version of Textbroker. Great. Thanks for the link. Thanks for the rate of words of wordsmith too.

Textbroker accepted me as well but I wrote nothing as of now. Let me know how it is if anyone gives it a try

31. davenmidtown profile image67
    davenmidtownposted 12 years ago

Interact media is a good place to writer for...

http://www.interactmedia.com/writers-faq/

I have written for them. If you can write in US English... you can try WritersAccess... Several of my clients are from Australia and so I have to write in UK English... I just turn my word processor from US English to UK English and it works out pretty good.  Warrior forum  http://www.warriorforum.com/    is also a great place to find private clients.  This is where most of my private clients came from. It cost $20 to post an ad but it is well worth it. I have permanent clients who provide hundreds of dollars a month in writing to me. They allow me to work from home without having a real job.  If you need further help with anything I have written here... then send me an email.

david

I can write in both UK and US English. My usual practice is to write UK English since Canada shares the same spelling, but I can do both. Thanks for both links. I have never heard of Warrior forum before. I certainly have a lot of sites to research. I went to examine everything thoroughly before doing anything. I now how enough hubs that I can actually show a good portfolio to such sites now which I didn't have before.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)