Does it matter if your titles are uppercase or lowercase?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (30 posts)
  1. Don Simkovich profile image60
    Don Simkovichposted 12 years ago

I'd love to know what hubbers think on this topic. I started writing my titles mostly lowercase after writing on a site that directed writers that way. However, does it matter -- and how do you decide?

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Do you mean the beginning of the words capitalized or all of the letters?  I generally capitalize each beginning letter as a newspaper or magazine article does and follow basic grammar rules. There are a few different styles.
      http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/title-caps.aspx

Don Simkovichposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yep, following normal rules is what I meant.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image80
      Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think not using proper capitalization makes a person look illiterate.

Good thought. I think readers are used to how article titles look in magazines.

3. leroy64 profile image63
      leroy64posted 12 years agoin reply to this

In the 1930's the design school  Bauhaus, in Germany, tried to start a trend to eliminate capitals from covers and posters.  They were focusing on graphic design.  It never actually caught on; but, the Nazi's chased them out, so I am not sure how things would have turned out.  I think someone tries to do something along those lines every decade.  My opinion is that this action is best suited to posters and billboards; however,  using lowercase letters will only catch people's attention if everyone else is using capitals.  If you are doing something you want to be permanent, or long term, just use capitals.

4. Dorsi profile image87
      Dorsiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What a great question. I have always wondered this and never asked!

Pretty much seems to be a writers own style of writing titles: For me, I think using caps on the important words and lowercase for words like a, and, or and to....

Like:

Ideas: Planning a Purple and Gold Wedding Theme

reads better to me than:  Ideas: Planning A Purple And Gold Wedding Theme

Just my 2 cents - I go by what I think looks better.

1. That Grrl profile image73
        That Grrlposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The last (and first) word in the title always gets a capital too, even if it's something like -

The Switch was Turned On

I just decide myself for the words in between too. I go by how important the word is, or anything longer than 4-5 letters.

2. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 12 years ago

WRITING IN ALL UPPERCASE ONLINE IS CONSIDERED SHOUTING.

And really, people can read you just fine and there's no reason to shout.

1. That Grrl profile image73
      That Grrlposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Anything in all caps looks like spam to me. I never click those.

3. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

I've heard and read different takes on it.

However, if you look at my titles, you'll see which way I went. wink

Yep, your titles look nice following normal rules.

4. brittanytodd profile image89
    brittanytoddposted 12 years ago

I often find that if a hub title is all lowercase, I am less likely to read it because I assume it is poor quality.  I think titles should follow title capitalization rules.

Yes, that's how I meant to put -- following title capitalization rules. That's certainly what most readers are used to.

1. brittanytodd profile image89
        brittanytoddposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, I think the reader trusts your article more when they see this and will be less likely to click off of your page when coming from search engines.

5. Don Simkovich profile image60

Great. After looking at your titles, I'll start writing mine like normal titles unless I hear a compelling reason not to do so.

6. Night Magic profile image60
    Night Magicposted 12 years ago

When I'm searching for something on Google, titles with all caps seem to catch my attention first.  In fact, those are the ones I usually click on first.

7. Don Simkovich profile image60

I appreciate the input here. I'll have to go back to that site and find out why they suggested more of a sentence style. Of course, I don't think it's worth my time. So I guess either way doesn't catch the attention of search engines. I've already started reworking some of my titles to look more like magazine titles -- capitalizing the important words.

8. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 12 years ago

At http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/2006-pubc … e-reviews/
    Matt Cutts said:

"Google doesn’t really care much (at all?) whether your titles are uppercase or lowercase. Personally, I’d still use the “correct” case, e.g. capitalize place names, but that’s just to make the site better for users. "

9. SmartAndFun profile image93
    SmartAndFunposted 12 years ago

Just my personal opinion, but I hate all caps. They are so difficult to read. And as Relache already pointed out, all capt is considered shouting.

To clarify, the title wouldn't all caps--only the title usage like a newspaper or magazine.

10. DonnaCosmato profile image87
    DonnaCosmatoposted 12 years ago

Hi, Don, I'm really glad you started this thread because I've been wondering why some writers do this. All of my write for hire and ghostwriting clients require proper title case, so it was enlightening to learn that some companies would direct writers in a different fashion. Thanks for stimulating a lively conversation on this subject:)

11. alphagirl profile image76
    alphagirlposted 12 years ago

Wow! Interesting. Glad i read this. very helpful for all of us trying to improve Hubs. I think you have given me reason to review my hubs. I always though caps were used when ou wanted to make a point.

12. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 12 years ago

I'm with Cags on this one.*
    Initial caps for titles.

I am not as consistent as I should be with my subheads within hubs, tho.
    I try to at least use the same strategy within the same hub.
    I tend to prefer l/c words in subheads. Now I will need to go and look at my AP Style Guide (notwithstanding writing for a living, daily, it seems that for every rule I think I've memorized, when I double check I often find I've got it wrong roll).

Thanks for a great topic, Don.

*Hey bud!

13. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 12 years ago

As a former reporter, I use caps where I feel they are needed.  I find it strange to read titles in all lower case letters, and I am tempted to skip the article unless there is something there to grab my attention.  Yeah, and it better be good!  This is a trend (only lowercase letters in titles) I will not follow.

14. Garrett Mickley profile image78
    Garrett Mickleyposted 12 years ago

I've always done first letter of each word Capitalized.

1. PJ Jones profile image60
      PJ Jonesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think that writing is like other art work...it's what YOU feel at the time.  Will the reader feel you?  If some kind of emotion is felt by the reader, does it matter?

Yes, I'm sure it would work best for poetry or perhaps an article that lends itself visually to using all lowercase ... like a topic related to children or small animals, etc.

EE Cummings certainly broke convention for a reason. Thanks for participating.

15. That Grrl profile image73
    That Grrlposted 12 years ago

I don't read some of them if they all all lowercase titles. It just looks like someone who doesn't know how to write or just doesn't care. I only click on them if I'm especially interested in the topic.

16. Don Simkovich profile image60

I'm changing my titles to typical capitalization ... following magazine and newspaper titles. I appreciate everyone's feedback.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)