The Value of Reader Retention

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)
  1. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 12 years ago

Norah made an interesting post on another thread.  Rather than post a link and lose people, I'm reposting it here in its entirety:

Consumers of content on UGC sites that have a pleasurable experience are more likely to consume other pieces of content on that same site (and/or subdomain). This isn't a radical or controversial idea, it is a fundamental part of developing any website. If this weren't the case, there would be few if any social features on HubPages.

"You say that "nobody coming from outside is going to keep coming back on the strength of having pushed a button. They came in to get information, found it (with luck) and left. "

Websites often run experiments by modifying visual and interactive elements to see what increases user retention. In one example from the last startup I worked for, slightly changing the shade of gray in the header increased retention by 7%. The sample size was about 5,000 unique visitors, and that number held up after it was released onto the main website. My point is that pushing the right button will keep someone coming back. Our challenge is finding that button and presenting it well.

Many studies have been done on the value of retention. Andrew Chen, an angel investor in Palo Alto, has written several blog posts with plenty of data for you to review."

This is very interesting, but I'm wondering if it is really relevant to HubPages. 

A blog or website is usually about one topic.  A reader arrives at the site, finds one article of interest and keeps coming back for more on the same subject. 

A HubPages sub-domain is usually an eclectic mix of topics.  So even if a reader likes my Hub about mature age make-up, if they click around they'll soon find my other articles are of no interest to them, no matter how interesting I make them.

I'm also reminded of the Nerdy Nomad, who used to have a great travel blog.  She put a lot of effort into building a loyal following - but I recall her post when she said she was giving up on that effort, because her loyal followers never clicked on ads!  All her income was coming from outside visitors.

I had a look at Andrew Chen, and unless I'm looking at the wrong posts, he seems to be talking about websites that belong to businesses. It's well known that a business with real products needs to build a customer base that will keep them coming back for more.   Like my pointe shoe website, where I want my customers to buy their first, fifth and fiftieth pair of pointe shoes from me.   But I don't see people coming back to my Hubs to buy stuff again and again, it's just not going to happen.

1. WryLilt profile image88
      WryLiltposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Makes sense. From memory, dark blue is a good color to get people to click adverts.

There is also a proven wordpress website color setup that will increase chances of clicks... it involves greens and greys.

2. janderson99 profile image54
      janderson99posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Satiated readers won't click the ads nor click your 'related links' to generate more 'impressions'. The reader will be fully satisfied and they may post a comment, but you may not make money.

You need the readers to feed, but remain hungry for more. The ads need to tempt them. The links need to have them searching for more.

see http://janderson99.hubpages.com/hub/Med … se-Revenue  bit controversial but makes the point.

2. Greekgeek profile image78
    Greekgeekposted 12 years ago

I think it can apply even on a user generated content site with multiple authors. It just depends on what your readers have come to find.

I stop by SearchEngineLand fairly often. It has multiple authors. I'll still click the recommended links at the bottom which may point to other authors' articles.

Likewise, when browsing a news site, I'll click related articles.

Obviously, if a reader has arrived based on a very narrow search, they're more likely to consume-and-leave. Even then, if you have well-chosen tags, the hubs featured in the sidebar may pique their interest enough to attract clicks. Think how often people go into a store to buy one thing and wind up buying ten (sometimes not even remembering to buy the original item). You might as well do what you can to encourage that kind of behavior.

3. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
    PaulGoodman67posted 12 years ago

I think with the changes post-panda, reader retention is even more important.  People who stay on your page longer help you to get into Google's good books.  The ones who click on ads provide income but might drag you down if Google deems your page is just a "doorway".

4. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 12 years ago

I should say, the context of the discussion was that the Voting buttons and "interesting" "awesome" buttons were provided to encourage reader retention

Some of us felt they didn't serve a useful purpose, but rather diverted readers' attention away from the Share buttons, which would do us more good.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)