Is it Ever Acceptable to Swear, and Do People Over-React to it?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (13 posts)
  1. VendettaVixen profile image68
    VendettaVixenposted 12 years ago

Personally, I think it's alright every now and then.
    Example:
    *Woman catches her fingers in the car door*
    "Oh, *@#%!" This is acceptable to me. In fact, I'd find anything else odd.

*Woman is talking on the phone in a busy shopping centre*
    "So, he said 'No, *@#% you, %*#@!' and I was like, 'Oh, you #%@*ing #*%@!'." This makes a person sound as if they have an IQ of 0.5.

1. mischeviousme profile image60
      mischeviousmeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

A recent medical study said that swearing can reduce the ammount of pain one has when injured.

1. VendettaVixen profile image68
        VendettaVixenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'd easily believe it. There are advantages to a good swear every once in a while.

1. Disturbia profile image60
          Disturbiaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm with you all the way.  I agree it's OK to swear when something really bad happens or when someone is very upset or frustrated, but to drop f-bombs every other word is just offensive, rude, and vulgar.  Also, having my own business I often deal with clients who think the use of profanity will help them make their point.  Unfortunately for them, it has just the opposite effect on me, and I refuse to listen to anyone who can't make a valid argument without cussing a blue streak.

1. annart profile image82
            annartposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I generally agree with everyone above.  When I was a teacher I always told my pupils there were two things I did not tolerate  - being unkind and swearing.  Unless in reaction to some awful unexpected incident or injury, in my opinion swearing is an indication that the person can't think of any good vocabulary to cover the situation. It's an easy, and offensive, way of having a lazy conversation; trouble is, the swearer's viewpoint or subject of conversation is often lost as all you hear is the profanity!  I'm no prude and I can swear when the situation demands or causes it, but my friends will tell you that it must be really serious for me to utter a naughty word!  Sometimes I cheat and use a French one - it makes me feel better and not so many people will know what it means!

1. annart profile image82
              annartposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I also don't like it when comedians use it for almost every other word.  I don't find it funny.  Its general use seems to indicate, also, that many people these days might not even be aware what each swear word means.  They are used merely as an interjection.  I know it was ages until I found out where the word 'bloody' came from (by our lady).  That's mild these days so maybe as time goes by the worst ones become the mild ones and others take over as being bad.  Either way, we should at least be aware of what we're saying.

2. lizzieBoo profile image60
      lizzieBooposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I might occasionally say poppycock! or fiddlesticks! I once taught my 2 year old to say Bugger off! to salesmen on the phone. Might have been effective had she not pronounced it "Buggy off!"
      Still, there's always "sugar!" and "dash it all!" for when a situation really won't do. A scoundrel may be called a "dastardly fellow!" or even a "chump" but never a "bar steward" for that would not become a lady.

2. profile image56
    SanXuaryposted 12 years ago

Swearing is actually making a promise to do something. In most cases we are only being a liar and that is a good thing. Some how we managed to declare adjectives or things we do not discuss into the same category. We go so far that proper words are OK but others for the same thing are bad. In most cases its good taste verses bad taste and improper context to begin with. Yes someone can curse or swear if they choose the proper audience and vocabulary to get their point across.

3. rebekahELLE profile image86
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

There are times when the only appropriate word is a four letter @#%!

But I'm sure most of us don't want to hear your every other word rant walking through the grocery store.

4. tobey100 profile image60
    tobey100posted 12 years ago

Hell no!

1. Greek One profile image63
      Greek Oneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

f!@%!@% right!

1. mischeviousme profile image60
        mischeviousmeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

#@%!@#$ *&%$#@ &^%$#%@ yeah that's offensive!

5. Insane Mundane profile image59
    Insane Mundaneposted 12 years ago

Expletives, profanity, whatever, is generally overrated. It is all about the intentions of the verbiage, when it comes to this politically correct subject.  Saying "gosh darn" means the same as saying God Da*n and "oh fudge" as "oh fu*k," and so on.  I suppose it is improper to go around using profanity and slang at a ratio of 1:3 accepted dictionary words, but still...  You question "Is it ever acceptable to swear, and do people overly react to it?  Yes, and sometimes...  Hmm, why do I have this strange feeling I should use excessive profanity on this post and get banned, yet again?  Ha-ha!
    Anyway, holy sh*t!  Greek One still dwells in the forums...  Lookout folks, that Greek One guy has a weird fetish for Eskimo pie, from what I can remember of him...  Funny guy, though; lol!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)