The Hand Shake.

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (39 posts)
  1. profile image0
    MP50posted 12 years ago

My hand shake is my bond, if I shake hands with another person. I will carry out, without fail what we have shook hands on.

Is the hand shake still necessary in 2012, what does it mean to you and do you still use it.

I have noticed that with some people, the hand shake means nothing anymore. Most Men have cold wet sweaty hand shakes these day's and do not stick to the hand shake agreement.

However the hand shake of a woman these day's has become more firm and meaningful, have you noticed this and what are you thoughts on this question.

Thank You.

1. calpol25 profile image59
      calpol25posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am the same MP50, my handshake is also my bond and promise however thats because were I live in Northern England we still follow the old traditions and manners and you sort of step back in time 50 yrs here, compared to the more modernistic parts of England. smile

1. profile image0
        MP50posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hey calpol25,

You are right North England has stuck with the old traditions, I am an english Man myself, Dorset.

Here in Sweden the people Hug instead of a hand shake, took me a while to get used to some big fat hairy viking, giving me a squeeze.

The hand shake has no meaning here, unfortunatly.

I used to work with a swedish girl called Anna she was lovely and she taught me a little bit of the language and she always hugged, I remember when we met I offered my hand and she looked a little shocked at first lol we still laugh about it now. She moved back to Uppsala but we keep in touch all the time.

I would have loved to have seen your face when the viking grabbed you i bet it was a picture lol lol lol

http://www.11kphotos.com/warrior_dash/images/viking_hay2.jpg

1. profile image0

Good photo on the viking, he did look just like that LOL.

I bet you were terrified lol

2. Pearldiver profile image67
          Pearldiverposted 12 years agoin reply to this

2 x Reasons for that!  - Abba and Abba Followers! 

Vikings are not what they used to be smile

ROFL lol lol

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS5npj0wQKTUAGCxpgUXh6vZTxMky_UTyP-jw7FZA9tkLuUXG8I4gBIkW4t  - how the times are a changing lol lol

2. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

We are taught that a weak handshake means you are a weak person. Women today want to be seen as strong and competent smile

1. profile image0

It really does seem that way.

3. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 12 years ago

DITTO...

And I agree with what many women here say...

"There's nothing worse than a guy with a Limp, Wet, Squishy and Unflattering ahh.. Handshake!"  smile

Why they would offer anything in a limp state like that anyway... I just don't understand! smile

There seem to be lots of 2 minute terriers out there! Maybe that's the problem! yikes

I agree pearldiver, I like a firm strong handshake just as i give to some one else as when you get the limp and weak one it sends shivers down my spine  and makes me think I cant trust this person.

4. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

My former boss had the limpest, sweatiest handshake ever. I shudder just thinking about it... He had bad breath too smile

1. Pearldiver profile image67

Don't they call that Humpolitus UW? yikes

2. Rehana Stormme profile image70
      Rehana Stormmeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Or it Haliohandsweatitus? yikes

3. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 12 years agoin reply to this

...i had a boss like that ....he didn't have any social boundaries either

5. Randy Godwin profile image60
    Randy Godwinposted 12 years ago

Here in the deep south the handshake still means something.  A limp handshake may be a deal breaker instead of a deal maker.  The handshake was once a means of showing you meant peace as the right hand was usually the one you carried a weapon in.

Let ME Go back further in regard to its history Randy dude! smile

The Firmness of a Handshake was measured from what the Right Hand ACTUALLY Gripped!  It was NOT another Right Hand!! yikes  smile

Maybe that explains the reason why Scotsmen wore Kilts and No Undies huh? sad

1. Randy Godwin profile image60
        Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ergo the term "playing the bagpipes"!  tongue

It was the TWO OPEN Hands (palms forward) that indicated no weapons were being hidden!

Hence... Happily Playing the Bagpipes with No Hands! smile

1. profile image0

You mean the meat and two veg.

2. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
          SomewayOuttaHereposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol....thanks for the history lesson you 2!

1. profile image0

How do you tell which clan a Scotsman comes from?

If he has a quater pounder under his kilt.

He belongs to the Mcdonald clan!

Hey now, I am scottish that aint nice, lol ROFL lol lol
              But Its very true smile

The worst part is I belong to the Macdonald of Glencoe clan lol ROFL lol

1. profile image0

Used to play a bit of rugby years ago, many times in Scotland, although I can't remember much of it LOL.

You were probably too busy looking for Macdonalds ROFL lol lol

6. profile image0
    Muldaniaposted 12 years ago

I can't remember the last time I shook hands with anyone.  It seems to have disappeared.  Most people I know, kiss as a greeting, even though it is often one of those air kisses.

1. profile image0

Interesting answer Thank You.

7. Rain Defence profile image80
    Rain Defenceposted 12 years ago

I shake hands all the time. The worst is when someone grabs your fingers when they're on the way in for the shake and before your palms are touching. This means you can't get a proper handshake in from your side as you can't get a grip on them, but they get a good grip on you. It's a knobby thing to do, but I've had a couple of blokes do it.
    I also always stand by a handshake, the only thing is I have been shafted on occasion as it always takes me by surprise when someone else doesn't as I just expect everyone else to have the same values.

1. profile image0

Know where you are coming from. Thank You.

8. Cardisa profile image87
    Cardisaposted 12 years ago

I have a thing about shaking hands...okay...so maybe I have have some sort of disorder I don't know. But I do know I hate touching strangers or strangers touching me. If we know each other or have developed some sort of bond it's okay but shaking the hand of someone I am meeting for the first time is strictly off limits.

9. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 12 years ago

I think it really depends on what you two were saying before the handshake - whether there was an implicit agreement, or you were just saying "nice to meet ya"  Handshakes at any given time can change.  Maybe the guy didn't like you!! or liked you way too much??  I wouldn't put a lot of meaning into a handshake but follow someone's actual actions instead.  I've always felt that way, but now that I've been in contact with several passive/aggressive people I find that the ONLY thing you can count on is what they DO!  so I may stop shaking hands altogether, lest I forget that it probably means nothing.  Get it in writing if you're making an agreement - sad, but true!  I've had people look me in the eye, shake my hand, and vow to do something - then, no, it's not happening.  So -

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)