Will this change our world?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (10 posts)
  1. teaches12345 profile image77
    teaches12345posted 12 years ago

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/6044418.jpg
    Do you think the Ipad "food order" option at restaurants will cause a loss of jobs?  Will it change customer service since the server is merely bringing your order to the table?  Advocates state it will save money and time for restaurants and they will still need servers to monitor tables and maintain customer satisfaction.

1. profile image0
      Muldaniaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think technology is making our lives too mechanistic and less personal.  I refuse to use the self-service check-outs in supermarkets, because they have already put too many people out of work.

1. WryLilt profile image89
        WryLiltposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Same here. All 16 year olds need to get a first job somewhere.

1. Greekgeek profile image77
          Greekgeekposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Funny. I've been trying to develop a one-hour "introduction to writing articles for money" workshop I can take to schools so as to teach kids how to start earning $200-500 / month online writing on the internet.

The electric lightbulb put gas lights out of business, but it provided new jobs, too. We do need to unplug, sometimes, just as people didn't need to spend all their time inside once electricity was invented. But it's silly to criticize a changing business paradigm. Just find a new way to make money with it.

As noted above, if the iPad lets people order food faster, then waiters can serve more customers, more efficiently, and get more tips.

1. WryLilt profile image89
            WryLiltposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes but wouldn't we need less waiters? Business owners aren't likely to keep the same amount of staff on if they can work half as many staff just as hard.

And since most websites require you to be 18+ how would it work getting schoolkids into it? Although it is a good idea.

teaches12345posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am afraid the business owners will cut back some on servers but will have to keep the majority because people still want to have personal interaction.  I believe it will affect the high school and college students most.  Also agree with Greekgeek on inventions that actually create more jobs.  Perhaps restaurants will find a way to add another service enhancement to compensate the ipad usage.  Great idea with the workshop but also look at WryLilt's comment as a flag.  Will have to guide children on responding to commnents and keeping their personal life private.

2. catalystsnstars profile image60
    catalystsnstarsposted 12 years ago

As an avid user of the iPad, I truly believe it has it's benefits and disadvantages. I don't think it's fair to blame technology for losses of jobs or laziness, right down to obesity. Technology will keep getting better and making our lives easier, that's inevitable, it is up to us to become the best we can be. If a person purchases frood from an iPad and does not require a waiter, I see that as a great thing. How many waitresses and waiters do you know who truly love their job and have not been doing it for years on end? Technology is allowing us to free up our time and start enjoying life as it's meant to be. Look back at the 19th century, before cars, before the telephone, before anything that could carry our messages fast from loved ones to another, before we could respond to a nation like haiti immediately after the earthquakes. Are we to complain that the anesthetic used during surgery for some of the victims put the the aid who held the patient down out of work? Are we going to say that the messenger who rode from town to town on the horse no longer had a job and that was terrible? I hate to simplify it like that, but we must look at the simple things. If there are no longer any need for waiters in a restaurant, everybody who was previously considering that position will look elsewhere. It opens up the possibility to look beyond a job that could be done by a machine which actually brings us back to the intelligence that separates us from animals and machines. When it comes down to it, technology will make us realize that we are more powerful and talented than we give ourselves credit for.

Great thoughts to consider.  Technology has brought us a better lifestyle and continue to improve our style of living every day.  I agree with you a closed door only forces us to look beyond to what is open and pursue a new avenue. Hopefully, this ipad option will do this for the population who relies on restaurants for income.

3. Eric Newland profile image61
    Eric Newlandposted 12 years ago

Maybe an iPad won't interrupt my conversation to ask me if the food is good for the forty-seventh time.

Why would this hurt servers? I would think it would help them be reducing the delay between customer arrival and food service. That means they could potentially wait more tables in a shift and make more tips.

My husband agrees with your thoughts.  The Ipad ordering option will free up servers to wait on customers faster and restaurants will be able to channel server positions to better use in the restaurant.  I appreciate being asked about my meal's quality and if I need additional service but some restaurants seem to over do it.  Maybe the ipad will help balance this out over time.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)