Will Acta End Hubpages??? Im Super Worried

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (26 posts)
  1. vanhove profile image60
    vanhoveposted 12 years ago

I have been reading so much about this ACTA, SOPA, and PIPA laws and it has got me so worried that this will end hubpages? Is this true? Will this law end the hubpages that so many people like myself truely love?????!!!!!

1. That Grrl profile image73
      That Grrlposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's about pirated and copied content so I don't know why it would affect HubPages. The content here is supposed to be original.

1. WryLilt profile image88
        WryLiltposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Have you been through the hub hopper lately? There are dozens of items spun off original content on other sites. People plagerise all the time.

Not to mention people using photos illegally.

It only takes one user breaking the pirate rules and the whole site could be blocked.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
          Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's my understanding too.  If even one user breaks the rules, the whole site can be taken off air immediately, even before the complaint has been looked into.

It would mean the end of all sites that rely on content from multiple users, because it would mean the site owners would have to manually approve every new contribution, which wouldn't be economic.

Personally I'd be quite happy if it spelled the end of bookmarking sites like Stumbleupon, Digg, Reddit etc, which have become wastelands full of people who are only interested in self-promotion.  But it would mean sites like HP would be hit, too - everyone would have to go back to individual blogs.

vanhoveposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Going back to individual blogs would be heartbreaking. That is so ridiculous. I have many blogs. However, in my opinion the greatest content to be found on the web is from people right here on hubpages. I often search hubpages for information before going to google because I know someone with real life experience has probably written a hub on that topic from personal experience. This whole thing just disgusts me to say it nicely.

2. WryLilt profile image88
            WryLiltposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I like the way Wizzley works... they let you publish your article but until they've reviewed it, it can't be indexed by search engines. smile

3. relache profile image73
            relacheposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's not just if a site user breaks the rules, you could lose your website if you link to a site that is accused of violating copyright.

That is unbelievable. I did not even know that detail. That makes it ten times worse. The internet will probably cease to exist if this happens. I mean, who is going to use the web if this happens? I can not believe that there are some evil people out there trying to do this and the goverment is going to back them. Wow.

2. I am DB Cooper profile image63
        I am DB Cooperposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It is about pirated and copied content, but the reason everyone is making a fuss about this is it also goes after those who facilitate the distribution of pirated and copied content. If Hubpages were subject to criminal prosecution for hosting a hub that uses copyrighted content without permission, I would imagine Hubpages would just shut down. YouTube, Reddit, Digg, and possibly even search engines like Google would have to either shut down or seriously alter the way they function.

1. Cardisa profile image87
          Cardisaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That is why we have to work hard to flag those copied and spun content to that it doesn't affect this site.

1. WD Curry 111 profile image57
            WD Curry 111posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Flagging is flogging. When the program handles the deal, it can seem harsh to sensitive people. Before I drop the dime to Big Brother, I would give a "heads up" to the author.
            I have ignorantly used photos that I didn't handle properly, and it took me awhile to figure out what the program was being so fussy about. It won't meet you half way.

Off course, you don't need to worry. You run a tight ship.

1. Cardisa profile image87
              Cardisaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

WD, things like photos I can bypass and send an email but things like spun content and plagiarism I cannot stand. I know it seems harsh to flag some people but if they continue to post articles that have been written by spinning software or it they use content that has been posted elsewhere we cannot overlook those.

2. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 12 years ago
  3. vanhove profile image60

Great points guys. Only one user being able to take down a site? That is unbelievable. This has to be stopped.

Has hubpages released any statement on this???

1. profile image0
      Norah Caseyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, you can find our official response to internet blacklisting legislation here at the blog:
      http://blog.hubpages.com/2011/11/internet-blacklisting/

We encourage all Hubbers in the United States to contact your congressional representatives about these pieces of legislation.

Norah, thank you so much for responding.

I have a question for you since you seem to know a lot about this.

When is this bill supposed to take effect? At what time will the government, if the bill is passed, be able to unfairly take down a site like hubpages?

2. Aficionada profile image79
        Aficionadaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I only just now took time to read that HP blog post and watch the video embedded there. They are both excellent. 

The video explains the intent and the likely outcome of these laws very clearly and succinctly.  I highly recommend that everyone watch it (only 4+ minutes).

@That Grrl - if you read the blog post, you will see how and why the laws would affect HubPages and similar sites. (Or were you perhaps being ironic and facetious?) I was also in the dark about the issues for a long time, but the matter is too serious for us to ignore.

4. vanhove profile image60

This will truely be the end of the internet as we know it. I hope that there will be enough rebellion that people will not even think about doing this.

Do you guys realize that the only reason anyone in the world is supporting this is because they have been paid to?

Politicians like Harry Reid, have been paid to support this. A few bad apple companies are paying our politicians to end our internet as we know it. I am so enraged that I can not even see straight. My fingers are literally shaking as I type this I am so angry.

5. vanhove profile image60

Does Anyone know when this will take effect? When are we looking at the consequences of this? Is there a specific date?

Much thanks for any responses? I am losing my mind right now

6. LindaSmith1 profile image61
    LindaSmith1posted 12 years ago

There is some good news. Lawmakers who supported these bills are now beginning to withdraw their support due to Blackout Today.

7. vanhove profile image60

Thank you LindaSmith1, I will sleep slightly easier knowing that. Hopefully there is a lot more of "support being withdrawn for this bill".

8. DonnaCosmato profile image87
    DonnaCosmatoposted 12 years ago

According to an email I got from the organization Fight for the Future, yesterday's blackout resulted in 35 Senators publicly declaring a stand against SOPA, but it will take 41 votes to kill it. Fight for the Future is urging folks to call their Senators everyday next week to keep the pressure on. I'll be on the phone and I hope others here will have time to make some calls as well.

1. recommend1 profile image61
      recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Good on you DonnaCosmato - for those of us outside the US our governments have either slipped similar bills into law or have them on the books ready to go - all ready to hook up together !

For those people who do not understand - this is a direct attack on free speech and you are all about to lose yet another freedom.

1. IzzyM profile image87
        IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The UK brought out the Digital Economy Act 2 years ago, but it still hasn't been implemented - held up by legal challenges, apparently - no doubt they are waiting on the US pushing through the SOPA Bill, so please peeps, fight it all you can.
        France also has a similar law in the making, and Spain recently rushed one through too, but no-one pays any attention to Spanish laws anyway. They only ever enact their laws when they are short of money.

[Heard of one guy who recently got a huge fine for collecting edible snails in the countryside, and another hit with an on-the-spot fine for driving while wearing sandals! Who knew they were illegal? But that is off-topic]

The BBC put an interesting page up yesterday for anyone wanting to know more about what is happening with SOPA - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-16623831

9. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

SOPA is most likely dead, but if it did pass it sure as hell would affect *any* site with user-generated content.  Probably effectively shutting them down.

10. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 12 years ago

SOPA will return in other forms, PIPA is still viable. Making sure your Reps know your concerns on this issue and continuing to make sure they know will be important for years to come

It will take more then one "Blackout Tuesday" to stop the interests behind SOPA/PIPA

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)