My hub has been unpublished

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (26 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Sophia Angeliqueposted 12 years ago

Hi,

I think the auto-bot has got confused again, but I may be wrong.

I have a hub called "Does Social Network Marketing work?"

It has been unpublished because a) It appears to be about multilevel marketing and b) there are water market images in it...

Okay, I'm confused. The entire hub is about social networking and how marketing using social networking isn't quite as successful as people perceive it to be.

Next, the only image in the article, I created from scratch using imaging software, so there is no ways it has a watermark on it.

And lastly, the only video that I could find that pointed out that it wasn't as simple as just posting something on a social networking site, and it has the name of the SEO/WebDesign company on it.

In no way does the article in any way promote anything, and anyone who read it would have noticed that.

As I said, the entire article is breaking down the myth that if you market  your products using social networking, and that the same rules that apply for advertising on TV or any other medium apply to social networking.

That said, can someone please indicate what, if anything, I've done incorrectly on this hub.

1. GinnyLee profile image87
      GinnyLeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I suspect the HP Team is the only ones who can definitively answer that, but is sure does sound odd about the watermarking.  That is usually either a "it is" or "it isn't" issue and if you made the picture yourself, it is doubtful there is one there. 

Sorry this happened to you!

2. relache profile image73
      relacheposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What you are describing is a video with a watermark.

3. Dale Hyde profile image80
      Dale Hydeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have not viewed the hub in question, but I will say this, I HubHop a lot since being here, and I have found so many hubs that openly violate the rules that have been up and running for many hours.  I flag them, but wonder how in the world can they stay up, get comments by readers and not get taken down?  Then, in this instance a "bot" takes down a hub.  A similar "bot" caught my second hub published here as duplicate. No big deal it was duplicate and I was unaware of the rules at that point.  However, DAILY, I find duplicate/copied hubs here, word for word, that have gotten by this mysterious "bot".  It sort of baffles me, lol.  I do flag them as well.

1. profile image0
        Sophia Angeliqueposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Dale Hyde, Well, if you haven't viewed the hub in question, it's a bit off the topic to say how many people violate the rules. I do NOT violate rules. I don't see the point. This is an error.

Also, there is a difference between a watermark which means that the image cannot be used elsewhere and identifies where it belongs, and a video that indicates who the video belongs to. It's the same thing as giving credit to the owner  of the photograph and not using it illegally. The video does NOT have a watermark. It merely identifies who the SEO /web design company is who talks about social network marketing.

1. Dale Hyde profile image80
          Dale Hydeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I do understand, Sophia, and was not implying that your hub did break the rules.  What I was saying was that others that DO clearly break the rules are allowed to stand by getting by that bot somehow. smile

4. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Bear in mind that moderators do make mistakes. For instance, I've had Hubs unpublished for linking to prohibited sites, when in fact they were only linking to an innocent website or blog.  In each case when I emailed the team to question the decision, the Hub was reinstated with an apology.  You'll find several other instances of unpublishing errors on the forums.

It's annoying to be inconvenienced due to human error, but then the moderators are only human after all - the only sure way to get this fixed is to wait for their response.

2. Cheeky Girl profile image66
    Cheeky Girlposted 12 years ago

Was it a water mark and not "watermarket" as you stated? Just checking. I have found some free graphic art software that gives you free trials, does sneak watermarks into the artwork to let everyone know it is not owned by you. (Yes, it's to make you buy the damn software, but that's another hub!) LOL!

Check to see are there links that do things they shouldn't or any infringements that would get it flagged by Hub Pages. Too many mentions of company names might cause it, and check tags too.

Better still, email the staff and get advice. Request a human moderator to check it and spell out the problem.

1. profile image0

There isn't a single mention of a company name. And the imaging software is my own - it's paintnet and it is free. it doesn't have the ability to put a watermark on anything.

What really gets me is that someone thinks the hub is about multi level marketing. They honestly couldn't have read it and, more to the point, obviously have never heard of social networking, That's why I think it might have been automatic. Can't imagine that anyone would confuse the two.

Anyway, I wanted someone to read through it to check that I wasn't missing anything.

1. wilderness profile image94
        wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

IDK, Sophia - when I first saw the words "network marketing" in your OP my first thought was "She's promoting an MLM business??"  It took a moment for the brain to catch up and realize you are not.  Maybe I'm becoming a true web reader and just skimming - skimming right over the "social".

I can see, though, where a bot could make the same mistake...

2. WryLilt profile image90
        WryLiltposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You'll *probably* find that the hub was taken down because of the watermarked image/video.

The MLM warning is placed on all hubs that automatic content filters find  may be related to MLM (or acai berries or other blurred areas.) The warning is only there to let you know it needs to be good quality and reputable information if you write on that topic.

Does it say: Please review the automatically generated warning below, and correct the problem if possible. These warnings are only visible to you, the author. Please click on the warning to learn more.
        CONTENT WARNING: This Hub appears to be about multi-level marketing

My Amway hub has had that warning for months and has never been taken down because it isn't promotional and is good quality. It's just an automatic warning to remind you.

1. profile image0

No, it has been unpublished. Just for the irony of it, I would never promote MLM as I think it is a pyramid structure with only the people at the top winning.I think it is an unsustainable and unethical business system.

1. WryLilt profile image90

I think you misread (or I mistyped) my post.

I wasn't questioning the fact it had been unpublished - I was just saying that it was probably unpublished because of the watermark issue NOT because of the MLM issue.

I just had a look at the Google cache of the page.

I'd agree with Relache that the videos are the reason for the issue. Both have the website's watermark on them. If you can remove or replace them, I wouldn't be surprised if you got republished.

From the Hubpages help section:

15. My Hub has been moderated for watermarked or pixelated photos; what does that mean?
                Images that are low resolution, grainy, or pixelated detract from the aesthetic appeal of a Hub and are prohibited. For the same reason, images or videos that contain prominent watermarks are also prohibited. This rule applies even if they are your own photos or videos, or photos or videos that you have the legal right to use.

3. profile image0

Everybody, I didn't publish a link to the hub because last time I did, I was told that it was self promotion (never  mind the fact that hp traffic doesn't generate any income) and I was just to put the hub name. I have done that.

That said, if you don't go actually look at the hub, read through it, look at the name on the video, etc. you are not in a position to speak with any sort of authority.

If you can help, I would appreciate it. smile

If not, Hubpages takes a few days to reply (sometimes a week or two), and I would just prefer to resolve it sooner.

the bottom line is whoever took this down took it down in error, I think. But I might be wrong, and that is why I'm asking for a second opinion.

As I said, I DID look at the cached copy of the hub in Google (it's been unpublished so that's the only way to view it.)

I also linked to the information that states that Hubpages won't accept watermarked videos even if you have the right to link to them.

That should clear up your problem.

1. profile image0

Wrylit, I'm curious as to why you would label that a watermark? It's not a watermark. Yes, it identifies who did the video, but many videos do. They just don't label them in that way. A watermark, as far as I know, does not look like that. That is simply the name of the company who make the video typed on to it.

In any event, I have removed the video, which is rather unfortunate, because it backs up what I say. There is so much sales propaganda out there which is misleading a lot of people that some balance is required.

In any event, thank you.

A watermark is defined as any type of identification attached to or on top of a video/image, when used online. This can be a symbol, website name, person's name or anything along those lines.

1. relache profile image73
            relacheposted 12 years agoin reply to this

THIS

4. IzzyM profile image85
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

Wrylilt is correct in that HP unpublish images or videos that have any marking them on them at all. The rules talk about watermarked images, but the staff interpret those as all markings, even the owner's signature in the photo.

Not so long ago here there was a girl who found her work unpublished because she included her own name discreetly on the bottom corner of her own photos.

I'm pretty sure at the time we had a staff member confirm that any markings at all were not going to be allowed.

Which is a shame when it comes to videos, because as you say, some of the very best ones out there are made by professionals who include their own company's logo, and being good videos, we should be allowed to use them. In fact, it feels more like theft not to always refer back to the makers. I haven't seen anywhere on a video capsule that allows you to do this.

Good idea! It should be like the photo capsule... although I guess that would probably get abused, too sad

5. profile image0

Thanks everybody. Video removed. I've republished. Let's see what happens. I do think it's a pity that I can't use the video because it proves what I'm saying. But rules are rules, I suppose, and they are put there because things are abused.  And I respect that.

thanks for all your input. smile

6. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 12 years ago

Sophie - if your changes still don't work, maybe try changing the text to get rid of words like 'marketing,' in case the filters are programmed to flag hat word when it's paired with 'network'?

1. profile image0

Marcy, thank you. It has been accepted now. I think when I get my laptop back (I'm currently without one), I will probably rewrite it. smile

So I guess it was the watermarks after all. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)