Do you believe in astrology?

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (90 posts)
  1. zzron profile image57
    zzronposted 12 years ago

Do you believe in astrology and the zodiac and horoscopes?  If so why?  If not, why not?
    http://s4.hubimg.com/u/3688919_f248.jpg

1. Peter Hoggan profile image68
      Peter Hogganposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No. Because I am not an idiot.

1. Pcunix profile image90
        Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh, Peter:  How can you NOT believe that the day and hour of your birth determines important characteristics in your life?

Next thing you'll be telling us you don't believe in Tarot cards!

1. Cardisa profile image87
          Cardisaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I believe but I don't have a reason other than life sciences and things of an astronomical nature fascinates me.

1. couturepopcafe profile image59
            couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It just occurred to me that if we're influenced by tides, running water and magnetics, why not large celestial bodies?

1. Cardisa profile image87
              Cardisaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

?roll

It's been proven that some animals can judge the direction they need to go by sensing the earth's magnetic current.

It's been proven that human ions are returned to a negative (good) state when surrounded by running water. (That's why we feel so good around water, the ocean, waterfalls, rivers).

It's been proven that there is a correlation between tides and moons.

So I'm just wondering.

1. OutWest profile image58
                  OutWestposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Funny but static electricy is neutralized by fire. Hence feeling romantic at a fireplace.  But I haven't heard of that for water.

2. Kim Bunch profile image59
        Kim Bunchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's interesting that someone would say it's for idiots. Look in the mirror at your self as you speak those words. Ignorance comes from a lack of knowledge. Could it be you lacking insight? Could it be that you have not enough  knowledge to properly understand the meaning behind such practices? It has survived the test of time for a reason my dear one.

1. A Troubled Man profile image59
          A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

So have other forms of entertainment like drinking beer and prostitution, which would be the meaning behind the practice.

2. Pearldiver profile image67
      Pearldiverposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well in the Year of the Dragon and being a Water Sign who is Both a Scorpio and a Dragon... I guess I have a lot astrology-wise to Be Smug About! big_smile

Cause I can't think of any other reason! smile

So Yeah... I believe Masa Ron!  smile

3. melpor profile image90
      melporposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No. The movement of the planets have no effect on us whatsoever. Why would they? Astrology falls in the genre with religion, mythology, and mysticism. These ideas were created thousands of years ago before mankind had a better understanding of the world and the universe.

1. Pearldiver profile image67
        Pearldiverposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Clearly you don't subscribe to Stephen Hawkin's Private reading business! smile

2. couturepopcafe profile image59

I'm not so sure how it all came about but I would think there has to been some influence on humans' sensitive physiology from something so large.

1. skyfire profile image80
          skyfireposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If you're referring to lightwaves or gravity from the big planets like jupiter or saturn, there is hardly any that you'll observe or measure and besides that, these planets are constantly getting bombarded with meteors just like us, so their magnetic and gravity fluctuations are supposed to be measured as dynamic variable. So any such effect measured during our ancestors time doesn't gives us exact figure right now. It's not even possible to compare because we don't have old data so our current data is purely dependent on the available variables as per the availability of equipment. We're likely to see less effect from such distant planets. So if anyone is fooling others on basis of astrology and effects of planets, have 0 clue about all of this and if you ask them about all these details they're likely to get offended rather than answer you on that front.

I have done a lot of reading on this subject esp. greek and hindu astrology. Hindu astrology has lot of mathematical gibberish calculations which are totally flawed as some of the planets in their charts are fictitious and are yet to be proven, they only religiously support for their argument.

3. Kim Bunch profile image59
        Kim Bunchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Don't cut it short. Astrology is  still with us for a reason. If you look back in old medical books astrology was calculated within the medical pages for a reason. The Western World's consciousness on spiritual matters is grossly  childish and greatly blind to spiritual connections. There is hope for  the seed has sprouted and many minds will evolve to a higher consciousness. All in good time.

1. A Troubled Man profile image59

Yes, right alongside blood letting and leeches.

1. OutWest profile image58
            OutWestposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol lol

4. John Sarkis profile image80
      John Sarkisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

One very important thing about astrology: your sun sign may be only about 40% of your natal chart.  Everything is important (where all the planets were at the time of your birth...), but the main things are where the Sun, Moon, Mercury, Venus and Mars where the day you were born; furthermore, the time of your birth is important to figure out your rising star....  If you check this out, your birth chart will make lots of sense.  And, last but not least your polar opposites are important as well (e.g., Cancer-Capricorn, Scorpio-Taurus, etc...)

5. mischeviousme profile image60
      mischeviousmeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The only astrology I'm familiar with, comes from Lila. It's an ancient Hindu game and can lead to forms of self discovery.

6. profile image51
      paarsurreyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It had some relevance in the ancient times; now it is just mythical and superstitious.

2. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

My chart fits my inherent constitution to a tee.

3. Randy Godwin profile image60
    Randy Godwinposted 12 years ago

Of course not!  Who do you think came up with the particular attributes for each sign?  Have you even considered this?  Someone had to go around and question literally millions of folks as to their birth dates and the way they reacted to the world.  Not only this, but they had to ask the people who really knew them if they were indeed as they said.  Quite a feat for the time astrology was first introduced, don't you think?

1. zzron profile image57
      zzronposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't know too much about it Randy, but I do know that a lot of people believe in it and was just wondering what their thoughts were on the subject.  I have often wondered who exactly it is writing these horoscopes and where did they get there sources of information from that tells people what their day is going to be like or anything else.  Where are they getting this information from I have always wondered.

A lot of people believe in a lot of foolish things.

The amount of ignorance in this country simply defies belief, yet there it is, plain to see.

2. Randy Godwin profile image60
        Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think you will find they are the same people who believe in the supernatural such as ghosts,spirits, and that they themselves have psychic powers.  Just my opinion from personal experience dealing with such folk.  smile

You're probably right about that. Most people who have been able to tap into their psychic ability would be more open to unscientific aspects of the universe in general.

1. Randy Godwin profile image60

I've never observed anyone able to "tap into their psychic ability"!  smile

But you may be aware of institutions that dedicate themselves to the study of individuals with telepathic or highly intuitive ability? It's said that we're all born with great intuition and it's drummed out of us by the constant onslaught of sensory input. I've had two psychic experiences but it wasn't because I tapped into it. It happened by chance and I think it was the combination of the intent of the other person involved, who was in a completely different location, and me picking up on it. But I have no doubt that some people can do this by intent.

3. A Troubled Man profile image59

Considering all astrologers are using the same source (stars, planets, etc.) are all astrologers writing the same thing or is it different from one astrologer to the next? That would give you a clue as to its validity.

4. profile image51

From superstition to superstition.

4. Peter Hoggan profile image68
    Peter Hogganposted 12 years ago

I do believe in tarot cards, I saw them in a shop window once.

1. zzron profile image57

What was your experience with the tarot cards that made you believe in them?

I think it was a joke.  I believe tarot cards exist too.  Not that they can reveal anything though!

1. zzron profile image57

Oh I see what you mean, seeing is believing.  I get it now.  LOL.

1. zzron profile image57

I believe in the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus to.  I saw the Easter Bunny at least once when I was a kid and Santa Claus once a year ever since.  LOL.  I'm a believer.

2. Pcunix profile image90

Omigod smile

5. knolyourself profile image60

That would be me. So people who don't know word-one what astrology or tarot are, they been around a couple of thousand years, are going tell me, someone who has studied the subject, that I am an idiot. Have heard elements of the ruling class won't play the stock market without an astrologer.

Sure.  And Nancy Reagan believed in that guff too. It MUST be true!

2. zzron profile image57

I don't understand your reply are you saying that you are the one who knows how to tell people what their day is going to be like?  I realize this concept has been around for a long time and that a lot of people confide in it.  I may have misunderstood you.  Are you saying that you are an expert in this subject?

6. knolyourself profile image60

There is not a world leader who does not have an astrologer.

That explains why the world is in such a peaceful state these days.  It's a good thing they use astrology, otherwise there might be strife in the world and it wouldn't be so perfect!  Thanks for proving my point dude, or dudette.  Probably dudette, as women are more susceptible to this stupid stuff.

Randy - I don't really think he proved your point. But you are right about one thing, IMO. Women are generally more open to the unseen. We are said to have more emotional connection to the universe due to the way our brains are wired which is either a byproduct of nuturing or built in to deal with nuturing. And as a sidebar, Your 'peaceful world' is mainly run by men, so at this point, I'd have to say it's the men who deal in more of the 'stupid stuff' as you so eloquently put it.

1. profile image0
          klarawieckposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Amen to that!!!

...shoo, snake! yikes shooo!

That's how you get rid of chickens, not snakes, KW!  lol

2. Randy Godwin profile image60

Then we should change the word a bit to "psy-chick" instead "psychic"!  And we almost had Palin to straighten things out!  That would have shown us men! tongue

After reading your bio, which was IMO intelligenly written, I can't understand you seemingly intentional verbal glibness. It sounds like you clean your rifle and fix your tractor with more love and attention than you treat your 'womenfolk'.

You're pretty smart for a girl!  smile

2. profile image51

You mean the economic chaos

2. profile image51

Especially in India.

7. zzron profile image57
    zzronposted 12 years ago

That's interesting, I didn't know that.

It's not true.

8. knolyourself profile image60

I am saying I have studied it. I have studied many of the occult systems. However I find them all indirect. I use reality as it happens to me. Much more direct. It is a means to make decisions as how do you do it if your mind cannot predict the future with certainty. The concept is something knows which is beyond your conscious capacity.

9. knolyourself profile image60

Once again, many thanks for proving me right!  And I required no tarot cards or psychic powers to ascertain your gender.  Just experience!  smile

Sounds like you've had quite a lot of experience sticking it to women.

No comment!  smile

That's what she said.

10. knolyourself profile image60

Oh, acid!  Why didn't you say so!  Yep, one sees all sorts of crazy things while under its influence.  I understand your outlook now!  tongue

Patanjali believed that psychic powers can arise by birth, drugs, incantations, purifactory acts or concentrated insight. Transformation into another state is by the directed flow of creative nature which is not moved by any incidental cause but by the removal of obstacles, as in the case of the farmer clearing his field of stones for irrigation.

Barnum believed there was a sucker born every minute.  Personally, I believe he was underestimating their birth rate.  tongue

1. mischeviousme profile image60
            mischeviousmeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol

11. knolyourself profile image60

Not likely this lifetime.

Wow!  Then I'm sorry you achieve the same effects without resorting to Purple Haze.  This explains your belief in such ludicrous things.  Yep, perhaps your next life will be centered around reality instead.  Good luck with that!

How does it go? Never attribute to malice what can adequately be explained by.. Oh, darn, what was that?

Oh, yeah: astrology.

Actually, it's always assume incompetence rather than malice.

Where DID that little birdie go?    Oh, there it is!

I think I heard it in a movie or something.

12. profile image0
    Muldaniaposted 12 years ago

No, I don't believe in astrology.  But I am a Gemini and we're quite sceptical.

smile

2. skyfire profile image80
      skyfireposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol

3. Eaglekiwi profile image75
      Eaglekiwiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol

According to mine(astro sign) I am not living up to my potential

No shit sherlock lol

4. profile image51
  13. anonimuzz profile image60
    anonimuzzposted 12 years ago

No, because it doesn't make enough sense for me to want to believe it. Plus, it makes people hold on to specific ideas about their future and get stuck in the same place, when they should be taking action for themselves and causing the change instead of waiting for it to happen by miracle. It's just another way of making us lazy about our own lives -.-' That can't be healthy.

14. Moon Willow Lake profile image67
    Moon Willow Lakeposted 12 years ago

No, I do not believe in it, but I have spoken with others who think there is something to it. One reason I do not believe in it is because it's just another bunch of man-made beliefs. Another reason I do not believe in it is because it's so general that it can literally apply to anyone. Now, I do find it (and Tarot cards) occasionally fun, but I certainly don't take it seriously!

15. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 12 years ago

Of course I believe in astrology - it is a most useful field of study.

Coupled with a little fraud and a great deal of larceny in their hearts, it gives a large number of people a very good living while requiring nothing productive of them.  Useful, indeed.

1. profile image0
      Muldaniaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have looked at a few astrology sites online and have filled in my details for a free reading.  I have also done the same for friends and family, and we have received the same readings as each other.  The language used is along the lines of - "you have a decision to make" or "you are a spiritual person."  Now, most of us have decisions to make on a daily basis, and most people asking for a free astrology report might describe themselves as spiritual, if only because of the fact that they believe in astrology. 

I remember watching Derren Brown, who gave individual astrology readings for students in different parts of the world.  He then asked them to rate his readings.  On average, each student gave him an accuracy rating of 90%  He then gathered the students together and asked them to swap their readings with each other.  It was then realised that he had given them all the same readings, which he had written long before he had even met them.

16. knolyourself profile image60

What a shock!  A female's blog on famous dead people who favored astrology?  Got anything useful?  What about some present day famous ones we can take a look at to see if they're actually successful at their readings or whatever they do.  You know, their success rate versus pure luck.

17. knolyourself profile image60

That's what happens when you smoke bad grass!

18. knolyourself profile image60

So what is it peanuts?

No, just nuts in general.  tongue

19. dilipchandra12 profile image66
    dilipchandra12posted 12 years ago

I cant say Yes or No, but i do check mine daily just to be cautious. If i have got anything bad for the day i will be more cautious.

Check out the comic section first, you'll be better off, I guarantee it!  smile

20. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 12 years ago

...i forgot to read mine yesterday....i'm in big truble today, i think....ya think?

http://mysticmedusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/funny-pictures-your-cat-is-drunk-dialing-you.jpg

21. profile image0
    Muldaniaposted 12 years ago

The position of the stars today are not the same as when the signs of the zodiac were charted, so modern astrologers are working with information which is thousands of years out of date, even if their position could have any connection to our personalities.  And according to astrology, everyone with the same star sign should be experiencing the same lives as each other.

22. karthikkash profile image83
    karthikkashposted 12 years ago

Many people unfortunately think astrology = horoscopes. You need to understand that horoscopes are just a part of astrology. And many people think our ancients were fools. On the contrary , our ancients were expert astronomers. Astrology is a mix of science and art.

Do I believe in horoscopes? No. Because I write my destiny. Do I believe in astrology? Yes. Because astrology can tell me a lot about myself and others around me.

23. KellyPittman profile image78
    KellyPittmanposted 12 years ago

I don't have a lot of knowledge on the subject, but astrology has always fascinated me.  It's very interesting.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)