My First Over $10 Day with HubPages Ads...

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (43 posts)
  1. Bendo13 profile image75
    Bendo13posted 12 years ago

Let us all rejoice; I have finally had my first day (January 9th), since I started using HubPages Ad system, where I have earned over $10.

Things are looking up as I'm getting lovely waves of traffic from all my work last year.

Who's with me?  If you've earned $10.01 to a billion dollars in a day with HP Ads then feel free to share.  No need to share the actual amount.

I'm curious to see who all does well in terms in traffic/impression earnings.

1. Good Guy profile image83
      Good Guyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm still trying to figure out what this HubPages Earnings Program is all about.  It brings in double the revenue than adsense, although still peanuts.Can someone please explain what exactly this Hp Earnings Programe is all about?

Bendo13posted 12 years agoin reply to this

It pays you based on impressions (how many times the ads are viewed on your articles when someone reads your article).

So you're pretty much paid for traffic, instead of being paid for a click.
        And that's besides the point that only one of your ads (per article) is shown for AdSense... the rest of the ads are all for the HP Ads Program.

So, that explains why you get paid more... you get paid if anyone comes to your hubs, instead of them actually having to click something, and there are more ads on each hub, paying you per impression.

Hi Bendo13,

Thanks for the explanation, altho I don't fully understand.

You mean to say only one ad in each hub is "mine", the rest belong to HP?
          Sounds like whenever someone clicks an ad I don't necessarily got paid, if that ad doesn't "belong" to me?

1. Winterfate profile image94
            Winterfateposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Nope! Don't get confused Good Guy. What he means is that, out of all of the ads that are shown on each of your Hubs, one of them is for Google Adsense and the rest are served by HP's Ad Program.

Obviously, the above assumes that you're participating in HP's Ad Program. Otherwise, all of the ads on your page would be from Adsense. You still get paid in a 60/40 proportion of all impressions and clicks, regardless of who serves the ads.

---
            As to the topic creator, congratulations! big_smile
            I'm around the $2-$3 a day mark, depending on the day's traffic. I'm hoping I can reach your level soon!

Hi Winterfate,

Thanks for the clarification.  I fully understand now. 

Thinking about it, this hp ad program is actually at the expense of our direct adsense income. No wonder my adsense income seems to have reduced. I wonder whether we are better off or worse off with this program?

From my experience I'd say you're better off... you earn for every view with the HP Ad program, but with AdSense someone has to click, they have to take an extra action for you to get paid.

But it really depends on how much traffic you get and how often people normally click on your ads.  Like if you get 1,000 views you could make anywhere from $4-$8 just for the views... so if you normally would get enough clicks, every 1,000 views, to earn that $4-$8 then maybe it's worth sticking with AdSense...

It just depends on how often people click and if you've targeted expensive keywords or not... but most people seem to agree that you make more with HP Ads.

Thanks for the clarification, Bendo13.

2. Good Guy profile image83

Bendo13,

One more question.

Do we get 100% of the one ad that belongs to us, or do we still have to share the earnigs with Hp?

Still a 60/40 split I do believe... everything is shared with HP.

2. mistyhorizon2003 profile image87
                mistyhorizon2003posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Of course you will lose out on the Adsense side of things, after all, you now only have one block advert paid to your directly from Adsense, and that is at the bottom right hand side of each hub! The majority of your adverts therefore, are now being paid for directly by HP based on views, even if they are Adsense Ads. Bottom line, you earn MORE from HP Ads anyway than you would have done from Adsense (this applies to most people). Basically people don't understand they can't have it 'all ways', and you can't expect to continue to get the same income from Adsense if you go on to HP Ads, for the reasons I have given here. You will however have to judge as to if you make more from Adsense alone, or HP Ads (latter which will include one Adsense block). Personally I do better from HP Ads, but not everyone will have the same experience depending on the chosen topics they write on.

It is like the 'swings and roundabouts' analogy. You have simply moved the income from the swings (Adsense) to the roundabouts (HP Ads), and hopefully the roundabouts produce the higher level of income.

2. scarlton profile image72
          scarltonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, that also helped me to understand it a bit more also...smile

2. mistyhorizon2003 profile image87
      mistyhorizon2003posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I do earn well over $10 per day here, and in my case from using the HP Ad program smile

3. Shinkicker profile image52
      Shinkickerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Congrats Bendo. I don't think I've came near that amount in a single day.

2. LeanMan profile image79
    LeanManposted 12 years ago

Congrats, hope you spend it wisely. Heres to your first $50 day..

I'll try my best!
      Perhaps that day will come before the year is over...

3. rmcrayne profile image89
    rmcrayneposted 12 years ago

I'll rejoice with you.  I've only had 2 days in Jan over $10 on HP Ads, but enjoyed lots of $10+ days in Nov & Dec.

Very nice... I'm sure there will be many more!

4. DonnaCosmato profile image86
    DonnaCosmatoposted 12 years ago

I'm with you...I've earned over 10.01 on HubPages ads ever since they opened up the program to all hubbers. To give a comparison, I'm not sure I'll ever live long enough to earn a payout from Google Adsense with the current threshold, but I'm getting a monthly HubPages payout, which is nice.

5. melpor profile image90
    melporposted 12 years ago

Congratulations. I hope to reach that goal this year.

6. bouncycastles profile image59
    bouncycastlesposted 12 years ago

Iv got 15 hubs over about 6 months and have only earned $4.02 so far, whats up with that??? Im not the best person at writing hubs but I cant be the worst either, I think im missing something.

1. WryLilt profile image88
      WryLiltposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Keywords.

7. Seek-n-Find profile image71
    Seek-n-Findposted 12 years ago

I'm still making nickles, dimes, and quarters daily.  BUT...I'm hoping as time goes on, the earnings will go up.  How many hubs do you publish, on average, per month?  Thanks for sharing and congrats!!!

Well last year I posted at least one hub a day... I think I ended up posting well over 400 hubs last year, so that's really what's helped push me up in traffic.  Plus I did 365 daily holiday hubs, so I have a wave of traffic that goes to the holiday hub each day, as well as all the traffic that comes to my normal hubs.

But for now I'm just going to publish around 10 times a month... 1 to 3 times a week.

1. Barbara Kay profile image73
        Barbara Kayposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I had a few days that high in December, but not since. Congratulations!

2. Seek-n-Find profile image71
        Seek-n-Findposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Wow!!!  I can't write that fast.  It takes me about a week to publish one Hub.  Maybe I'm trying too hard!  I like the idea of doing holiday hubs--that's smart.  :-)

Hmm perhaps you should try writing on topics you don't have to research so much?

I mean, those types of articles are still good because you learn as you write, but if it takes you that long to get one hub up then you'll only get 52 hubs up a year max.  Now if that week includes getting traffic to your hub and you get big waves of traffic then you're probably A-OK.

But I find things go a lot more smoothly when you know the content, because you've lived it or have studied it in the past, and you just share what you know and are passionate about.

8. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 12 years ago

Sadly I'm still in the $5-$10/day range. sad

you'll get there eventually! 

It's taken me since the program started until now to hit that spot.

2. rebeccalee3 profile image61
      rebeccalee3posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh WOW! $5-$10/day range sounds good to me! I've only just started "hubbing." Yes, I'm a newbie; but a part time income is all I'm looking for right now. Of course, the more the merrier!! And to make a part-time income doing what I love, WRITING, is right up my ally:o) I hope to get to your level asap!! Good luck and may your writing take you further & further each day! Thx:)

9. Trsmd profile image58
    Trsmdposted 12 years ago

Still I am touching 5$ earning per day.. Lot to improve..still

10. dipless profile image69
    diplessposted 12 years ago

I have a long way to go smile But making a more concious effort in my writing and publishing and fingers crossed will start to make more as each month progresses. It is good to see people are being paid a decent amount each day and will encourage me to keep writing. Thanks all.

11. Moon Willow Lake profile image67
    Moon Willow Lakeposted 12 years ago

Well, I must say a hearty congratulations to you! I do not come anywhere close to that, but then I just signed up for the Ad Program a couple months ago. I am seeing better results with it than just the Adsense and Amazon alone, but I'm not where you are at (yet). I do want to thank-you for providing me with hope, though, and I'll hang in there because I know it takes time. smile

12. WD Curry 111 profile image57
    WD Curry 111posted 12 years ago

Bendo13 - I am not making much, but I have no real traffic. I am not on Facebook or twitter. I am just loading up some hubs and getting ideas for how to work the gig. I am shocked that you don't make more. You have your own creative routine down hard and cold. Your cash flow should be hot. You showed me how to sell the wares. I didn't have to read a lot of directions, I just took a hint from Bendo13.

I'm glad I could help you along the way!

My momentum is building though... it's way better than it use to be!

It really is an art figuring out what's going to be a hot topic and how you have to structure it so that people want to share it.

1. WD Curry 111 profile image57
        WD Curry 111posted 12 years agoin reply to this

What is your tolerance for dumb questions? It seems from the posts where Google Adsense and the HubPages Earning Program are mentioned that I would have to chose one or the other. Am I confused? I thought you can run them both.

Also, you display a lot of products, do you do any good with the eBay and Amazon capsules? It seems from here that, if someone buys an offshore fishing boat or a condo time share after seeing it on one of my Florida hubs, I could have a good day. So far, I must only be getting money from sales of cotter pins. Is there any way to track what has been unloaded on the unsuspecting public from my hubs?

I'm pretty sure you have to have an AdSense account to be in the HubPages Earning Program, but when you are you have one ad that is for AdSense and the rest are for the Earning Program.

If you're not in it then you either have all the ads for AdSense or none, if you're not even using AdSense.  So, if you're using HP Ads, then yeah, you're definitely using AdSense too and you can run them both.

When people compare they're just looking for a different between HP Ads + AdSense and AdSense alone... and are comparing the total of both to see which is better.

I don't use eBay because you'll have less of a chance of earning a sale through them.  People don't trust eBay as much as Amazon because the all the sales come from random people and it's like a giant yardsale.  Plus, let's say someone clicks your ad, bids on a product and then doesn't win the auction... well, you get nothing (and neither do they).  But if they click your Amazon ad and buy a product then you just got some $.

Others might disagree, but that's a choice I made a long time ago.  And yeah, I do make a decent amount of money with Amazon each month.  All you have to do is pop up products that directly relate to your content, it could even be something you mentioned in the text.  But be sure to think, "Hmm, is this something I would buy online or would I only buy that at a store in person?"

1. WD Curry 111 profile image57
            WD Curry 111posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Bendo13 you are alright! I got it. I am cool. I have a friend who makes "bank" selling hard to find marine electronics (he works at a boat yard and scavenges the stuff) on eBay. I will lean towards Amazon, but keep my fingers crossed for that $50,000 Bertram and the $200,000 beachfront condo on eBay.

Thanks! It is fun just thinking about it.

13. FrugalandFab profile image59
    FrugalandFabposted 12 years ago

That's wonderful! To date I have managed to earn roughly 0.20 or so. I would jump out of my skin if I earned $10! As I am a newbie I am certain I am doing something wrong, and really need to spend some more time researching so that I can come on here and say "WOOHOO! I have earned my first $10!" too!
    Keep up the good work!

1. Ms57Classic profile image60
      Ms57Classicposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You have more than I do FrugalandFab. I just made 0.04 cents. Although I signed up 2 years ago I have just recently started being an active hubber. I question if I have been doing things right myself...but I've been reading a lot of hubs to educate myself. Truthfully...I was excited to see the 0.04 cents because it tells me that I am on my way up  : )

1. FrugalandFab profile image59
        FrugalandFabposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I love that perspective Ms57Classic! You are so right! We may have made very meager earnings on our writings, we still made something, and that's a great place to start. Thanks for replying, we'll be able to make it happen I just know it.

Just keep on writing interesting topics and you'll build a following and be right where I'm at eventually!

It doesn't hurt to share your hubs with others outside of HubPages either.

14. girlgonestrong profile image62
    girlgonestrongposted 12 years ago

After reading through all the responses on this thread it seems like more people than not are struggling to earn some significant coin.  It's also true that Hubpages pays, on average, more than Adsense for the reasons mentioned.

That being said, if you're paid on a per-impression basis vs. a per-click basis, the important thing to do is keyword research.  Why?  Because you might write the best HUB possible on "Breeding Purple Poodles" but if nobody is searching for that on Google, then it's doubtful that you are going to get a significant amount of traffic to that HUB.

Do some really in-depth keyword research (focusing on keywords with 3,000 p/month or more exact match searches) and optimize the Hub for that term and you'll get some good earnings.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)