OMIGOD! The front part of my tooth just broke off!

Jump to Last Post 1-33 of 33 discussions (47 posts)
  1. cindyvine profile image69
    cindyvineposted 14 years ago

Now I look like a homeless person who lives in a cardboard box under a bridge!  It's the same tooth I wrote about that I had the root canal treatment on!  Serves me right for going to a cheapie Chinese dentist!  Oh my God!  A stump jutting out in the front and the back of my tooth intact!  Are there any dentists on hubpages who can advise me what my options are and what I can do?  The worst is, that I must have eaten my tooth!  It was there before I started eating my choose and tomato bread roll, and when I finished and licked my lips, I felt like something felt strange in my mouth and it was GONE~!  It's a canine and so visible.  I can never smile ever again!  I'm starting to feel hysterical.  Has anybody got any advice?

1. profile image0
      ralwusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Better check yer stool tomorrow for the valuable tooth dear. hehe Oh what fun. sorry for laughing t yer expense, I just can't help it. haha good luck now

1. profile image0
        Am I dead, yet?posted 14 years agoin reply to this

xD ralwus! this is true though. still laugh, it is healing. I bet you are still a cutie.

see big_smile

http://www.flickr.com/photos/salvatoref … 754783601/

1. blondepoet profile image66
          blondepoetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

this is so true C.C I checked my dog's stool cause I blamed him for swalowing my crown that day, I had people down on their hands and knees searching. I said you better check that dog's poopsie, where in fact I had swallowed it.

2. Pearldiver profile image67
      Pearldiverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There is nothing wrong with being homeless or owning a cardboard box Or living under a bridge!!
      And to most I'm sure your smile is just as it was before.
      Good luck Cindyfang, it could be worse... ask the guy in the cardboard box.

2. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 14 years ago

OMG!  Serious?  That would freak me out.  Are there emergency dentists there?  My boyfriend's son had something like that and they put an emergency cap on for him until he could have it fixed permanently.

Any American sector where you are if you don't trust Chinese docs?

3. profile image0
    \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years ago

Is it the crown that has come off or the tooth,,,

4. profile image0

dentists are wonderful people, they will sort it out for you, get them to send you a bill, but tell them it is an emergency..... you must be seen now...

5. profile image0

OMG, Cindy...I hope you are not...are you, wink??!  No...  (if that makes sense.)

6. cindyvine profile image69

Lita, no American dentists, am limited to a Chinese dentist that is cheap and speaks no English, and a Chinese dentist that charges a fortune because they can speak a little English. 
    Not the crown, the whole front of my tooth, there is just a little stump sticking out like when a baby's tooth first appears, and then the rest of the tooth like normal at the back hanging down like a curtain.
    CC, this is serious not to be laughed at.  How can I ever open my mouth in public again?  It gives new meaning to being bitten on the bum if I pass the tooth in my stool.  And don't tell me to look for it!  Disgusting unsympathetic man. lol

7. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

I feel for you. I recently had a lot of dental work so I sympathize. I hope you can get it fixed up quickly.

8. Lucey Knight profile image62
    Lucey Knightposted 14 years ago

Oh my gosh Cindy....I hope you are ok.  I would look for a 24-hour emergency dentist.  Good luck-

9. cindyvine profile image69

But what can they do?  The whole front is gone, vamoosed?????

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
      Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I had a similar problem, a filling and bonding fixed it. I'm sure they do that in China?

10. cindyvine profile image69

ahhhhhhhhhhh Lucy, this is China!

1. Lucey Knight profile image62
      Lucey Knightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I forgot, I'm sorry....

2. seemorebangkok profile image57
      seemorebangkokposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I find it kind of hard to believe that in a country with a billion people you can't find a good chinese dentist. If you're out in the boonies it's cheaper for you to head to major cities like Beijing or Shanghai instead of Malaysia or Thailand.

Good luck smile

cindyvineposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I went to a supposedly good cheap Chinese dentist for root canal and now have half a tooth.  God, it lookd so ugly.  Might go to the expensive one in town tomorrow and try and claim from medical insurance.

11. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

They can put a crown on. They put a "post" up into your jaw and then they attach the crown to the post. I have had a couple done that way when my teeth had severe decay. I think it added about $65 to the total cost of the crown.

It's not the same as an implant because the root is intact and the post goes in there somehow.

1. Laughing Mom profile image59
      Laughing Momposted 14 years agoin reply to this

But if you've had a root canal, the root is no longer there.  Sounds like an implant is a viable option.

12. profile image0

Cindy-

http://www.imako.net/before.html

Maybe will help??  She even kinda looks like you...  Best I can do!  Not a permanent option, but until you can have permanent work..

13. Lissie profile image77
    Lissieposted 14 years ago

Well its gonna cost a lot less than Asia than anywhere else. There are heaps of good English speaking dentists in Thailand and Malaysia - it sounds like you will need a crown or bridge - I only know that cause i need a crown for which I was quoted over US$1200 in Australia - which can be done by one of the best Australian trained dentists in KL for about US$300 - I'd suggest you find a recommendation on the expat boards, make an appointment and hop on a cheap air asia flight

1. profile image0
      shinujohn2008posted 14 years agoin reply to this

In India it will be very cheap and is costing below 40 to 70 dollars for good dental treatments.

14. profile image0
    girly_girl09posted 14 years ago

I chipped the top of one of my bottom teeth and really freaked out, so I know how you must feel! Mine was just a tiny chip, but I really can sympathize with what you are going through right now; it is scary at first!

Don't worry; it can be fixed with a veneer. It won't be cheap, but you will have a normal looking tooth again. smile

Also, don't worry about swallowing it...won't cause any damage at all. It will simply pass or more likely, be dissolved by all the acid in your stomach.

Good luck!

15. profile image0

It can be done, as I said get the bill later..... I spent lots of money on crowns etc, so now I have insurance.... They wont leave you like that though, dont panic.....

I know what you meant now in Blondepoet's interview, things always happening to you, but it will give you at least one hub....

It is 3a.m. here off to bed, will look in the morning to see how things are with your tooth.....

16. cindyvine profile image69

Thanks guys for the advice and encouraging before and after photo, Lita.  Am just finishing off my hub I'm working on, then off to the dentist to see if the cheap nasty one down the road is open today!

17. ripplemaker profile image77
    ripplemakerposted 14 years ago

Hi cindy, I used to be a dentist...LOL I've changed paths along life's way.  Anyhow, the crown has to be replaced.  Hope the dentist did a good root canal treatment...exposure might cause infection.

Ripplemaker, I think this happened because of the root canal.  the gum feels a lttle swollen now where the small fragment of tooth is in the front, then there's a big hole and the back of the tooth like normal.  How do they crown that?

18. blondepoet profile image66
    blondepoetposted 14 years ago

oh Cindy you are copying me, one of my front teeth is a crown and it fell off when I was swimming, lucky one of my friends went back to the pool and saved it. Then I lost it running in the rain, and again I found it, three I then lost it for good I accidentally swallowed it, but thought at the time it was my dog that ate it....omg I know how you feel, I was totally traumatised, you got to get help....it made me feel like omg I can never smile again

19. blondepoet profile image66

Yes laughing mom that is what I had done it does not hurt and if they fall off like mine, it pays to hunt them down as they are not cheap. They can put a little tracking device in them in case you have to locate them in  a emergency

God, a tracking device!  I'll be like a sniffer dog tracking down drugs or someting.  Jeez, haven't gone to the dentist yet.  Not sure they'll be open on a Sunday, but also not sure if I can trust the guy who did my root canal.  I mean, it is probably his fault the whole front of my tooth came off and I ate it with my roll.

20. VioletSun profile image76
    VioletSunposted 14 years ago

I had this happen to me years ago, after I had finished dressing and putting the final touches to my makeup before heading off to work; my front tooth broke. I was hysterical, LOL, but a friend of mine from work connected me to his very expensive dentist, who gave me an emergency appointment and replaced the tooth with a temporary cap. Fortunately, I had dental insurance then, which I don't nowadays.

I wish you luck Cindy! Being toothless ain't fun.

21. blondepoet profile image66

I agree it is not fun I felt like a homeless person without a tooth

22. blondepoet profile image66
  23. cindyvine profile image69

Thanks for your genuine concern.  I might just fly to India.  Goa was one of my favourite holidays.  My medical insurance only covers dentistry in accidents and acute pain I think they said.  Well I accidentally went to the cheap dentist down the road because of acute pain, so I think that qualifies me to go to the expensive dentist tomorrow and claim it on my medical insurance.  Why now when I'm too broke to pay attention.

24. blondepoet profile image66

You better get on a plane to India ,you got a sari to don yourself  for the occssion. Look better still whack on a bright coloured table cloth, I am boarding my private jet now to come pick you up

1. countrywomen profile image60
      countrywomenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

BP- No need to trouble your private pilot when tooth fairy can come over. http://blogs.themorningblend.com/?attachment_id=704

PS: A fairy in Indian sari is rare but hopefully this will do.

http://www.warburtonfairy.com.au/uploads/69482/images/90894/indian_fairy_sample.jpg

25. cindyvine profile image69

Oh shit Blonde, just have to pop over to a friend she's in a terrible state.  Kid in her class died in a car accident yesterday, OMIGOD, and here I am worried about a silly old tooth.  Jeez, will email you later!  Just need to find outr which kid as some have siblings in my class.  Shit, shit, shit

1. countrywomen profile image60
      countrywomenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh oh that is too bad. I hope things get back to normal soon.

It is indeed sad to hear of your pain and hopefully you get it fixed by a good cosmetic dentist. I know how important a good smile can be to our personality. I wish you a speedy recovery for both your tooth and life in general back to normalcy.

PS: Here is some "tooth" humor to cheer you up.
      http://www.cartoonstock.com/newscartoons/cartoonists/mba/lowres/mban454l.jpg

26. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 14 years ago

Oh dear, oh dear. Nothing like a real crisis to put our own issues into perspective, eh? So sorry to hear about the car accident and I hope none of your students is affected.
    Also very sorry to hear about your tooth crisis.
    You've gotten some great advice. Not sure how you feel about going back to the dentist that did the work originally -- he should be liable for fixing the damage (no doubt his mistake) and it shouldn't cost you. But I also understand if you don't trust him and want to go elsewhere. Not knowing what your insurance requirements are, I would hate for you to have to pay for this out of pocket when it absolutely is an ACCIDENT that caused this situation!
    Good luck with it.
    Your HP friends will be rooting (not root canaling) for ya! MM

27. tksensei profile image61
    tksenseiposted 14 years ago

Yow. I remember when I lived in Xi'an there WASN'T any dentist around. Every so often a dusty old dude would pull a rickety old wooden cart into the neighborhood, put out a small stool and wait for 'patients' to gather 'round.

I'd recommend hopping a flight to Taiwan, Korea, or if you have the $$ Japan to get that taken care of. Otherwise, paint the rest of your teeth black and try not to feel happy about anything.

28. blondepoet profile image66

ROFL CW those pics are adorable.
    Oh Cindy I hope everything is ok.

29. profile image0

Dont come to Ireland I paid 2.000 euro for work done, then in the small print of the insurance did not cover some of work.  Only  got 500 euro back...... still got a smile though

30. cindyvine profile image69

Blonde, it was very sad, one of the little Grade 2 boys was killed. His sister was in the other Grade 4 class last yer, so I did have dealings with her.  The whole famiuly was in the car, dad was driving, car hit something and flipped and boy went flying out the car and died instantly.  Parents and sister are physically okay.  Jeezm, I feel so bad for them!

31. LondonGirl profile image83
    LondonGirlposted 14 years ago

You poor love, sounds horribly painful as well!

32. Jerilee Wei profile image68
    Jerilee Weiposted 14 years ago

I so feel for you on this.  Have you considered taking someone who speaks Chinese with you as an advocate and translator? 

We've been researching dental work in India as they have dental med spas.  Here in the U.S. dentists charge outrageous fees, both my husband and self have quotes to "fix" our teeth that range in the $25,000 to $30,000 combined.  India supposedly has some of the best dentists at those facilities.

What about HK?  Benson Yeung or my son probably know of a good dentist?  If you needed a place to stay while there I think my son might be able to help you there.  He at least speaks the language.

33. Teresa McGurk profile image60
    Teresa McGurkposted 14 years ago

Wish I'd seen this thread earlier.  You poor thing -- but stay calm.  I've been there, done that (only in Japan).  It's easy to fix, even temporarily.  Good luck!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)