Greatest Rock N Roll song of all time?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (35 posts)
  1. sam209 profile image78
    sam209posted 12 years ago

I have three choices. (I Can't Get No)Satisfaction, Like A Rolling Stone, Johnny B. Goode! I'm leaning towards "Satisfaction".

1. LewSethics profile image59
      LewSethicsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Got to be Johnny B. Goode!  The other two are good rock songs, but JBG epitomizes what rock is:  no job but great on guitar!!!
      I think your other responders forgot that rock and roll originally was 'bad boy rebel' music.  Since then it has morphed into 93 different kinds of rock, like acid rock, indy, etc. 
      But rock 'n roll isn't hard rock, it isn't Dylan or other folk type stuff, it is "He's a Rebel', and 'Leader of the Pack', etc.

sam209posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Johnny B. Goode is definitely one of the songs that epitomizes rock. I think there are some other songs that can carry that claim as well. Like Bill Haley's Rock Around The Clock, Jackie Brenston's Rocket 88, etc. The Stones Satisfaction definitely has that edge and uses the great rock n roll formula of records from the past. It's an anthemic record and possibly possesses the greatest rock riff of all time!

2. Shinkicker profile image53
      Shinkickerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

So hard to choose Sam

I think JOHNNY B GOODE has to be there. Such a classic and covered so many times.

Can't leave Elvis out if we're talking Rock n' Roll, the King has to be there so I'd plump for JAILHOUSE ROCK.

For a third choice how about Eddie Cochran's C'MON EVERYBODY. That riff was really influential.

I love Eddie Cochran's C'MON EVERYBODY!

3. Nat Amaral profile image61
      Nat Amaralposted 12 years agoin reply to this

1. God of Thunder--KISS
      2. Descent--Doro
      3. Reborn--Stryper
      4. All I Wanna Do Is Love You--Michael Sweet

1. steveamy profile image61
        steveamyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

you are kidding right ???

4. Josak profile image60
      Josakposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Paint it black- Rolling Stones

2. Dgenr8 profile image61
    Dgenr8posted 12 years ago

I would go with bat out of hell or dream on by aerosmth

3. toys-everywhere profile image58
    toys-everywhereposted 12 years ago

(I'm Not Your) Stepping Stone by the Monkees. That or, "Money Honey" by Elvis. That or, "Flying Saucer Rock n Roll" by Billy Lee Riley. That or,... Alright, let me just stop now.

4. profile image0
    Deborah Sextonposted 12 years ago

Don't Fear The Reaper - Blue Oyster Cult

Send Her My Love - Journey

Separate Ways - Journey

5. vmartinezwilson profile image78
    vmartinezwilsonposted 12 years ago

I'm going to say...Barracuda by Heart.  Although, that's just today.  Tomorrow I'll change my mind entirely.

6. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 12 years ago

Oops!...I Did It Again - By B. Spears

1. vmartinezwilson profile image78
      vmartinezwilsonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6069084_f248.jpg

1. Greek One profile image63
        Greek Oneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

more of a Ricky Martin fan?

7. Cardozo7 profile image61
    Cardozo7posted 12 years ago

Stairway to heaven - Led Zeppelin

Whole Lotta Love, Stairway To Heaven and Kashmir would have an all out battle for being the best Zeppelin song as far as I'm concerned. It would be hard for me to chose between those three records!

2. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm inclined to agree. smile

Or maybe House of the Rising Sun...

If it hasn't been posted already we need one for Rock's Best Drummer because John Bonham would certainly rank very high on my list!

8. Jonathan Janco profile image61
    Jonathan Jancoposted 12 years ago

Rave On by Buddy Holly

fav song by Buddy Holly for me is definitely Not Fade Away!

9. wavegirl22 profile image47
    wavegirl22posted 12 years ago

My anthem.. .

"Born To Run"

I love that album Born To Run but I find myself playing the last song featured on that album "Jungleland" over and over again!

1. wavegirl22 profile image47
        wavegirl22posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Born To Run happens to be one of those perfect LP's of the time. . not much to skip over and a dew songs lead up to the next . . But since the album calls out Bor n To Run, it gets top billing.. personallmy favorite at the moment from there has to be Thunderroad. ..

But you got my point!

2. steveamy profile image61

Thunder Road is the best song on that record....

10. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

I think it's too hard to pick one. There are so many great R&R songs.

There are some great ones already posted.

I'll add ~

Sympathy for the Devil/Stones
    Comfortably Numb/Pink Floyd
    Walk This Way/Aerosmith 
    Like a Rolling Stone/Dylan

11. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 12 years ago

All Right Now by Free

12. mvaivata profile image61
    mvaivataposted 12 years ago

Get It On (Bang a Gong) by T.Rex.  Such a delightfully nonsensical song!

T.Rex was definitely ahead of their time! There's a song I love by them called "The Slider"

13. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

I have 10 of them. But none are true rock and roll. Besides, I've already plastered the lyrics to all of them all over these forums multiple times. Nice guy that I am, I won't do it yet again. big_smile

14. billd01603 profile image78
    billd01603posted 12 years ago

Bruce Springsteen is my favorite. He synthesised all the Rock, Soul, Country and Folk that came before him into his own unique sound. Since "Born to Run" is his best song I would have to vote for that one as the best song. Although I'd rather hear "10th Avenue Freeze Out" live.

1. steveamy profile image61

heard it live last Friday in Tampa ..... excellent

15. Jonathan Janco profile image61
    Jonathan Jancoposted 12 years ago

High Fidelity is one of my fave book/movie combos, so I need to do a Top5:
    In chronological order, of course. (I answered this thread a few months ago but felt i didnt put enough thought into it)

1. Heroin by The Velvet Underground
    2. You Never Give Me Your Money by The Beatles
    3. Mine All Mine by Van Halen
    4. High Hopes by The Havalinas
    5. The Bends by Radiohead

I have other favorites, but these are the ones that can be effectively classified as rocknroll

16. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 12 years ago

Stairway to Heaven or Free Bird.

17. manlypoetryman profile image82
    manlypoetrymanposted 12 years ago

"Tom Sawyer"  Rush
    "Free Bird" Lynard Skynard
    "Feels Like the First Time" Foreigner
    "Rock You Like a Hurricane" Scorpions...Come to mind.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)