Comments from new signups after writing a hub mentioning Werner Erhard

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (19 posts)
  1. Healthy Pursuits profile image79
    Healthy Pursuitsposted 12 years ago

I've just had an interested experience. I've had four new people sign up with HubPages because they are Erhard devotees, and they were irate at what I wrote. Three of them had clearly signed up in ire and were abusive, so they're no problem. I denied their mean comments and flagged their profiles.

However, the fourth had a very long comment - a hub, really - and he also enrolled in HubPages only to comment. I was thinking about inviting him to make a hub on Erhard if he wanted to reply, instead of wasting it as a comment. I don't even know how long comments can be.

So.
    1. What do you do when someone signs up only to comment (not nasty comments)?
    2. How long can comments be, and shouldn't these be hubs?

Thank you for your answers.

1. profile image0
      hippomudposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Healthy Pursuits, I might be  one of the perpetrators :-)  you are talking about.

I admit to signing up and bolting in with a minimum of manners but all I did was nitpick a few inaccuracies  you presented. I saw your  "Hub" in a google search i did for the name "Erhard" and got yanked in  ( as happens when surfing the www ) and started nitpicking :-)  I am sorry for not being more tactful  and a little kinder.  But I was in no way "abusive" or "mean". I took the 'comment" option as an open invitation to comment. Where is the folly or broken rule in signing-up to comment?

1. Pearldiver profile image68
        Pearldiverposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I personally would say... Good On You!

If an author is going to write and promote ANY Subject in a manner which the public reasonably expect to represent accurate information and it doesn't accurately do so... then take the author to task! smile

Good writers actually ensure that what is promoted is relevant and accurate! Perhaps in this case the author here has learned a lesson and since taken the time to correct the issue with Factual Information?  How hard is research? sad

Healthy Pursuitsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I would not mind if someone took me to task for providing inaccurate information. However, I not only did NOT provide inaccurate or irrelevant information, but I make every effort to make sure that all of my information is accuratel.
          I wonder why you would automatically assumed that I, as the author, should be upbraided for poor performance?

2. Healthy Pursuits profile image79

hippomud,
        I see no broken rules in the idea of signing up and making a comment your first action. It shows interest in what's being said.

However, taking an ugly tone, entering several comments in a row - all in that same tone - and showing a "minimum of manners", as you so gently put it here, is both antisocial and unnecessary.

I flagged your profile for review not because you commented, not because you disagreed with what I had to say, but because your tone was so ugly and you left several comments in a row in that same ugly tone. Couple that with the fact that you had signed up a few hours before, and had done nothing else on HubPages said to me that you only signed up to verbally smack me around. I didn't appreciate it, to say the least.

If you choose to disagree with me with another comment on that same hub, but one that is written in a civil tone, I will honestly consider accepting it.

3. seanorjohn profile image70
        seanorjohnposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Get over it. Lighten up man.

okey dokey

2. Pcunix profile image91
      Pcunixposted 12 years ago

If somebody wants to waste their talent leaving a long related comment, I guess that's their loss.   It is likely to help you with Google even if they disagreed with you.

Thanks! I didn't think of that. This person was actually an assistant in later EST training, so he really has a lot to say. However, the other replies from other EST trainees were more telling - abusive. I flagged them.

1. profile image0

Healthy Pursuits, may I ask, specifically,  how were any of them "abusive"? What was said that was "mean" or "abusive" to you?

3. Xenonlit profile image59
      Xenonlitposted 12 years ago

Do you have your comments set for your approval before they can be seen?

Don't approve anything that you feel is abusive or insulting.

The good news is that you are getting viewers from somewhere outside of Hub Pages!

Yes, I do. Thanks for the tip. I realized that they came from outside HubPages and I was happy to see that. Even if my hub did vacuum all the EST trainees who still believe out of the woodwork.

1. Xenonlit profile image59
          Xenonlitposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I remember EST and still use some of the relaxation techniques. But Erhard and his devotees were too much to put up with after the seminar was over.

Here's to being free of them!

I had several friends who tried the seminars. None of them completed them, and my hub describing EST came from what they said about their experiences. Actually, it only skimmed a little of what they had to say. I guess the guy who gave the seminars in our area was a really egomaniac.
            I remember being surprised at the time that nobody at all wanted to finish the seminars.
            It sounds like you had a better seminar leader. It's nice to see that you got something good out of them.

4. Shanna11 profile image76
      Shanna11posted 12 years ago

I actually signed up just to comment on an article I read. It wasn't a mean comment however, it was a humorous comment of commiseration. I had no intention of staying, but the author of the article liked my comment so much that he followed me, sent me fan mail and commented back on how much he liked what I'd said.

I ended up poking around a bit, churning out my first Hub and deciding I wanted to stay. I probably wouldn't have if I the author hadn't encouraged me to stay, so I'm glad I did.

I would do the same if I were you-- obviously as long as the comment wasn't downright awful. An invitation can go a long way.

I am actually considering inviting one of the commenters, the only polite one, if he wants to write some hubs for HubPages. I don't think that signing up and having your first action being a comment is a bad thing. However, I think that signing up to be abusive is something that shouldn't be done.

2. Healthy Pursuits profile image79

I was thinking about doing that. I think he already has his first hub in the comment he sent to me. I decided to take a few more days to forget the ugly stuff from others who have his same point of view, minus the manners.
        We do learn a bunch about ourselves every day. I try very hard to make sure that every bit of information I put in a hub is correct. To have people who believe differently than I do being a little foamy at the mouth towards me about it was slightly upsetting. So I'll watch myself for that in future.

1. profile image0

Deleted

I have no problem with the length of his comment, and he can link it to my hub, but I thought I might suggest that he make it his first hub if he wanted to.

Come on, you know what civil looks and sounds like.

There were only 4 people who commented on my hub. I didn't mind that they disagreed with what I wrote.

1. profile image0

bowing out.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)