Your Patron Gods and Matron Goddesses

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (108 posts)
  1. Daughter Of Maat profile image94
    Daughter Of Maatposted 12 years ago

I thought I'd revive an old posting, as I found it quite interesting. Who is your patron God, and matron Goddess? I use the Egyptian pantheon so:

My Patron God is Anubis

My Matron Goddess is Maat (hence my name... daughter of Maat) big_smile

1. Disappearinghead profile image60
      Disappearingheadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Do these gods actually appear to you before your eyes? Do they interact with you? Speak to you? Manifest themselves in a tangible, testable and verifiable way? How do you choose them, or do they choose you?

Or is this just some imaginary game like astrology? Do you 'pray' to these gods, something coincidental happens in your life, and you attribute it to that god?

1. MelissaBarrett profile image59
        MelissaBarrettposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Or... you could Google it and get some idea exactly what a patron God/Goddess is before you embarrass yourself some more.

If you are going to attack someone then maybe you might want to see if you have a leg to stand on first.

1. Disappearinghead profile image60

Saucer of milk Mel?

If someone interprets the asking of questions about a belief as an attack, it indicates that the accusation is being levelled from a point of insecurity about beliefs.

2. Daughter Of Maat profile image94
        Daughter Of Maatposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Or it could just be the way the person wrote the comment. Maybe you should re-read what you write and think about how someone else might take your comment. I took it as rude as well. Considering you called astrology an imaginary game, which is a fundamental form of divination to many of the pagan religions, I'd say you meant to be rude and obnoxious.

1. profile image61
          nasakeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Based on the scientific theory that states it is extremely plausible for every thing in existence to be linked by some sort of network, forms of divination and astrology would be shown to be factual. Being as the reader already knows the answer to his querents questions, and the cards/runes/etc that are read will be merely pointing the reader to the answers he seeks.

As for that insecurity thing, such a thing would be true, if pagans and other religious followers didn't get the same crap everyday from a different person like you. Attacking peoples beliefs shows more of an insecurity about your belief... or just a certain ignorance crossed with a sociopathic joy gathered from trying to hurt peoples feelings.

1. profile image61

I am not one to discredit new forms of practice, and it seems to be popular belief now that one picks his/her own patron deities. This is fine in my opinion, if a person feels like he/she want's to be close to a certain deity that is quite flattering to them.

However, to anyone who is listening. If you go into a meditative state, allow yourself to open your inner eyes and find your self on a path. A path that splits in many directions over and over and over again. Allow your instincts and gut feelings to guide you. When you get to the eventual end, see a form in the distance. Walk towards, get closer, see who it is. This is your patron deity. Ask it its name, it may give you a clue instead. Take in its clothes, appearance, the way it speaks. Look for little clues on the way, such as letters on trees or random items on the floor. All ofthese are clues as to who your patron deity is. This person, can also tell you your true name. Your 'given' name. The name of your soul. By doing this, you're not getting rid of the deities you have picked yourself, you just have one more patron deity to call upon in a time of need. Have fun smile (P.s. this exercise can take a long time. It took me about 2.5hours of walking to find mine.)

Nasake, you're awesome! big_smile If you don't mind my asking, who did your patron deity end up being? Mine came to me in a lucid dreaming state.

1. profile image61

In the end it was apollo, of whom at the time i had no idea of his relevance to me. I also have a strong relationship with Ezili Freda and Legba

p.s. I'm glad you think I'm awesome lol

2. Disappearinghead profile image60

How do you know that this wasn't just vivid imagination?

2. A Troubled Man profile image57
            A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What scientific theory?

2. Disappearinghead profile image60

Once upon a time when people believed the sun, moon, planets and stars were gods, astrology evolved as people believed the gods could influence their lives. Now we know the moon is made of rock, the planets are variously rock or gaseous, and the sun and stars are great balls of hydrogen thermo nuclear reactors. Still believe these inanimate objects can influence your life?

2. Dale Hyde profile image82
      Dale Hydeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I work with several.  Diana, Cernunnos and Bast

I started out working with Bast. She actually led me to Maat. She has a very powerful energy, one not to be messed with!

3. hush4444 profile image60
      hush4444posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't have a patron God or Goddess, but I find the subject fascinating.  I live in Hawaii, where gods and aumakua, or spirit guardians, are everywhere.  As for everything being connected, I can't imagine a world where everything isn't connected.  Daughter of Maat, I hope you write more about your journey.

Thank you Hush! I am actually in the process of writing a part 2. big_smile

2. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 12 years ago

Fun!

Assuming you are allowed to choose your patron and matron, I would go with:

Goddess = Bastet. Woman with the head of a cat (I love cats).
    Protective goddess

God = Thoth. Man with the head of an ibis holding a writing tablet, an ibis, a baboon. Also connected with the moon. Thoth is the god of writing and knowledge.
    I'm a writer both on and off HP. So that one fits.

Those are great choices, typically it's the God and/or Goddess that you are drawn to. I've been drawn to Anubis and Maat since I started down the pagan path ten years ago. I have used Thoth in some rituals however, and I do like his energies.

3. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

That's interesting.  I've never put much thought into the different pagan gods. I don't know where you live, I'm thinking it isn't Egypt (I could be wrong). I would have assumed the pagan gods were tied, to some extent, to their geographic origins.

It's believed that the pagan gods possess universal powers?

4. profile image61
    nasakeposted 12 years ago

The scientific theory that all matter is connected by a network of energy. It's more of a view of advanced science than a theory though. Ever since they began theorising the potential of alternate universes and dimensions.

1. A Troubled Man profile image57

Never heard of it, did you make that one up?

5. profile image61

Ugh, no. It is a principal adopted by those that study true science. Rather than keystage two physics...

Nonsense, those who study science have never heard of your pet theory.

6. profile image61

And allow me to happily point out, that while us "silly believers" are out and about appreciating life in all of its forms, you are lurking hubpages posting comments about how much you enjoy anal raping badly endorsed science. Sadly, I am not interested in arguing with you today, for I genuinely do not care for you enough to waste my anger on you. But I will say one thing. I frankly do not care whether my beliefs, or anyone else beliefs conflict with yours. It doesn't matter. I am me, you are you. Get over it. Are you really that full of yourself that you think everybody should think exactly the same way you do? Is it that your lack of Deity has created a longing inside you to be one? You know, creating an account on a friendly site trying to 'convert' anybody you can to your scientific ways. Sound's a little suspect, don't you think.

You, knowingly or not, are acting very catholic. Athiest, scientist, pagan, christian, muslim, buddhist, it doesn't matter. We all co-exist, we all learn, we all eat, sleep, shit, and survive. Why the hell are we not all entitled to believe what we wish. Providing we exist within the laws and basic morals of life, I see no issue with that. And usually I push the whole "what's the point of arguing, lets be friends approach." But, unfortunately in life, we have to come across people that we are incompatible with, and you sir, are the embodiment of that figurative form in my life. How would you scientifically explain, how can i put it... That your a complete and utter prick? Seriously, i'm curious.

Is that guy serious? No one in science has ever heard of the theory that we are all interconnected? Who the f*&^ does he think came up with it? lol Once again Nasake, you are awesome. I love it when you go off like that! It's unfortunate that people of other religions look down upon ours. Especially in the US. Our country was founded on religious tolerance, but do you know how many people try to tell me otherwise? It's sad really

Actually, I have all the religious tolerance in the world, BUT nasake stepped over a line in his post.  Defend yourself and your religion all you like, but calling someone a prick is unnecessary.

Shouldn't you be asking where nasake came up with that nonsense?

If you know such a theory, present it here, then.

I've never heard of it as a scientific theory, but I have heard of it as a philosophy... maybe noetics?

Perhaps, Noetics is not a science, it's more of an inner knowledge with subjective understanding of the world around us, more or less just guesswork.

Or, conflict with reality.

Reality does not make one think any other way than what it presents to us for entertaining such thoughts.

Only for a despot or dictator who would act accordingly.

Who's converting who here? Science has provided everything in your life other than religious fantasies.

You're free to embrace religious fantasies, nothing is stopping you, reality included.

I would hit the report button, which I intend to do. Bye for now, hope you have a wonderful time out.

7. Druid Dude profile image60
    Druid Dudeposted 12 years ago

EVERYTHING IS RELATIVE. ROOT WORD: RELATED, IN SHORT, interconnected. Everything has a common beginning, whether you are a Deist or a Non-Deist. Even the tides caused by the moon are related to why there is life here. Not Noetics, (Although that is the basis for noetics) Einsteinian logic..

Better check your dictionary, relative and related/interconnected are two different definitions.

2. mischeviousme profile image61
      mischeviousmeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Everything is made of the same matter, it is just percieved to be separate. The atoms of our bodies are all the same, therefor we are pretty much one thing. We just have separate minds, or so we think.

8. Daughter Of Maat profile image94

Absolutely

9. Daughter Of Maat profile image94

Ok this post was not to start a conversation about who's religion is better. Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs, and if you don't like pagan beliefs don't read our posts. The question was who are your patron Gods and Goddesses, and it was asked simply to discuss different pantheons. NOT to discuss why one religion is the only true way and everyone else has it wrong.

There is a theory that states everything is interconnected. It's called string theory. If you don't understand quantum physics, you won't understand string theory. However, it basically states everything in nature is connected at the string level which is sub-atomic.

Yes, I absolutely believe the rocks of which you speak influence our lives. Gravity affects our lives, does it not? The point is, trying to make my beliefs sound ridiculous and convert me is just plain wrong. You think you've made an intelligent argument about astrology but you know nothing about it. Do you know it's history? Do you know that the Egyptians are the main reason we have much of our astrological knowledge? Do you know what the planets mean? How they affect our lives astrologically? If you don't understand any of this, you can't make an intelligent argument against its validity.

Well, at least you have admitted indirectly you don't understand quantum field theory.

Planets don't affect us at all.

1. Linx Rose profile image62
        Linx Roseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Says you but can you prove it? Cause if not then your theory is just as wrong as you claim there's to be.

Of course, there are no properties or characteristics of planets other than gravity that affect anything. Nada. Zilch. Nothing. Considering planets are millions or billions of miles away from us and gravity weakens in magnitude the further one moves away from it, those effects are inconsequential.

Astrology does not offer any explanations as to what properties or characteristics planets can affect us.

These are facts, not theories.

2. profile image52
        rebelboy7696posted 11 years agoin reply to this

First off if one thing is off in the universe we couldn't survive. Without plants we run out of air. thinner atmosphere,we are roasted alive,thicker atmosphere,we freeze to death.planets closer,we are ripped apart, Further apart,we fly out of orbit. See how every thing is connected.

3. profile image0
        OllieTrolleyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Um... Hi, Troubled Man. I'd like to point out that planets affect the earth in many ways.

The moon has affects on water tides, if it was too close or too far, things would be thrown off balance, same with the sun. Everything is put in a specific place to balance out everything, weather you believe it was a god or goddess who made it like that, doesn't matter, it's still there. Planets, stars, moons all have a specific, beneficial reason for being where they are.

So... Yeah... Planets do contribute to us on earth in a major way. Can't you just believe what you want and not push your theories to beliefs onto others saying they're wrong and you're right.

Also, there are so many form of religion out there, even in history, kings would just change stuff around if they didn't like what it represented. So we'll never know if one theory is right or if it's wrong. In the beginning people believed in the gods and goddesses FIRST, then Christian and catholic people didn't agree, so they changed it. Who really knows what's right? Life is a mystery, and part of your existence should be to unravel bits and pieces of that mystery.

So.... Sorry it I offended anyone, that was not my intention. I just find this subject fascinating, being born Christian, this isn't what I was taught, but it's what I believe.

Blessed be!

10. Daughter Of Maat profile image94

dude that's your opinion and your entitled to it, but don't say it like its a fact because to some of us, it is. And I do understand quantum field theory, do you just always have to be right no matter what? You can't accept the fact that other people have their own opinions and thoughts? If that is the case, I pity you.

I'm sure you do believe it's a fact, dude.

lol

That's nice. smile

11. Linx Rose profile image62
    Linx Roseposted 12 years ago

Idk if it matter because my goddess is Greek however, Hekate is my goddess. And I'm still trying to find my god.

I found my God first, and my Goddess a couple years later. It'll happen when the time is right. big_smile

Blessed Be!

12. Linx Rose profile image62

Blessed be, and thanx. I was kinda worried that I was doing something wrong. smile

13. Daughter Of Maat profile image94

You really can't do anything wrong when it comes to spirit guides and Patron Gods and Goddesses. They come to you if you don't find them first. Anubis came to me in a dream when I wasn't even looking for a patron God. I had just found my spirit guide, and hadn't learned about Patron Gods and Goddesses. If you've found your spirit guide, that's who you should ask about it. Spirit Guides can tell you when you're ready to move to the next level, including finding Patron Gods etc.

I'll do that. smile

In other words, sorry, using the same words, you were dreaming.

-_- why r u still involved in this convo if u just want to be an ass? Excuse the language please but I like to be blunt.

he's doing it just to get a reaction, he has nothing better to do. If you notice he's never published an actual hub... I'm assuming there's a reason his username is "A troubled man"

lol

Personal insults are quite common from believers who have nothing else better to say.

1. profile image61

Please.. you're right, personal insults are unnecessary. But at the same time, you should realise that you are hurting people too. And it's not that they have nothing to say, it's that they are commenting on your behaviour. Seriously, I'm sure that Linx Rose or Daughter Of Maat don't go around posting degrading messages on quantum physics forums.

So really, it is not a reflection of our personalities or faith that is making us 'insult' you, It is but a reflection of your own behaviour. You know better than all of us the scientific process the body and mind goes into when creating anger, or dismay, so stop it. Scientific you may be, but you seem to not understand neither the long lasting psychological influence you could be causing others, nor the pointless strain on Hubpages server with every warmongering reply you post.

1. profile image61

Because if you did, you would just stop what you are doing and keep yourself to yourself.

Very eloquently said Nasake!

1. profile image61

and let us remember that flying was deemed impossible by science. It was not a scientist that first experienced flying, it was a man of faith and a man of vision. And now flying is a common part of our world. I'm no preacher, but what I am saying is that science deems everything impossible, until it is upon them. So either way, it doesn't matter what anybody ever thinks, challenge your own minds and make your own decisions. Science, religions, history, maths, english, psychology:- Their just a few of the excellent things one can spend their time learning about and applying to their lives, one needn't follow a fixed set of rules unless their mind is limited drastically.

Where do you come up with that garbage? By explaining that planets don't affect us and that someone is dreaming hurts people and is degrading? And, that warrants personal insults towards me? How utterly dishonest and crass.

Obviously, it is.

lol

14. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 12 years ago

I believe the spiritual and scientific are connected. Absolutely.

They are not mutually exclusive unless you use one or the other to defend rigid, narrow thinking.
    Enlightened people do not do that.
    smile

15. profile image61

Two months before the Wright brothers historic flight at Kitty Hawk, a top scientist declared that "no possible combination of known substances, known forces of machinery and known forms of force can be united in a practical (flying) machine..."

Space travel was declared "utter bilge" in 1956 by the British astronomer Royal, one of a long line of scientists who "proved" it was impossible.

So, you now have changed your claim from science saying it's impossible to a top scientist declaring something completely different. Well done.

Btw, here's the exact quote by Simon Newcomb in 1906...

"The demonstration that no possible combination of known substances, known forms of machinery and known forms of force, can be united in a practical machine by which man shall fly long distances through the air, seems to the writer as complete as it is possible for the demonstration of any physical fact to be."

Yes, you're talking about Sir Harold Spencer Jones who allegedly stated "space travel is bunk" two weeks before Sputnik was launched. Of course, there is no evidence whatsoever that he did indeed say that then, or at any time.

So, all you've managed to produce is one guy who was wrong as opposed to your claim that "flying was deemed impossible by science"

How very dishonest of you.

1. profile image61

How am i being dishonest? i have nothing to prove, i'm just reinforcing what i was taught. I have no reason to slander nor defend science. It has offered alot for the world. my point is simple: Science deems everything impossible until it is upon them.

May i also point out, that you got very protective when your beliefs were challenged, and you will not be able to see that from my side, whereas i can see from your point of view. The reason for this personality difference is simple. Religion, for nothing else, is good to teach that one should always keep an open mind and never harm another individual. Science, has no mention of this. Thus it is not a lifestyle choice so much as you think it is. It is a set of beliefs. Most pagans live their religions, and that's why what you are doing is direct attacks against them.

Making blatantly false claims and then moving the goalposts.

There you go again, being dishonest.

I don't hold beliefs, so your point is moot.

Sorry, but religions do not teach their followers to have open minds and to not hare others, quite the contrary.

That's because science is a method used to understand the world around us and not a basis for telling us what to believe and how to behave.

Where did I say that?

No, I am attacking the beliefs, not the person. Try to get a handle on understanding that simple concept and try not to be so dishonest. Thanks. smile

Can't we just agree to disagree? If everyone is entitled to their beliefs, why is it ok for anyone to attack those beliefs? It seems as if you always have to have the last word, you have to be right. Why is that? If you feel so strongly about the subject go post a hub about it, you have yet to write anything. You truly have nothing better to do than make everyone else miserable. Misery loves company. Maybe you should hold some beliefs, you might become a happy person.

You are free to disagree with reality at any time.

You are entitled to embrace irrational beliefs just as much as anyone who wants to point out they are irrational.

Where did I say that?

Ah yes, the ole' "go away, you bother me, son" routine.

Sure, if I get a pre-frontal lobotomy, I too can then share your beliefs and we can sit and be blissfully happy all the day long. lol

1. profile image52

Listen we are not stupid we have not had a frontal lobotomy so you have no right to say our beliefs are bunk. I will not attack your beliefs on a hubpage however i encourage you to act likewise.

16. profile image61

I'll take that as case closed, shall I?

Absolutely, your claim is bunk.

17. Daughter Of Maat profile image94

Why do you have to be like that? Just because you disagree with me, you have to put me down? Why? Why do you have to call me irrational because of my beliefs? Why?

Who is putting who down?

I said your beliefs were irrational, I never said YOU were irrational.

1. profile image61

You are entitled to embrace irrational beliefs just as much as anyone who wants to point out they are irrational.

It's the same thing man. Hey, listen. I thought at first that i didn't like you. But I do. You are just like me. we will be having this conversation until next year because WE have to have the last word. So let's neither of us give up, and make are last words the same:- That way, we can get past this, and let this otherwise lovely topic get back on it's course? What do you say? and this way, because i say them first, you get the last words- providing you just repeat after me. lol Genuinely, i'm sure you are a nice guy, we just are in disagreement about life after death. So here goes:

I believe what i believe, you believe what you believe. It was nice having this conversation with you.

Yes, I agree with reality and you agree with mythology and superstition.

1. profile image61

You intolerable man -_-

lol Feel better now?

2. Daughter Of Maat profile image94

My beliefs are part of who I am, so yes you are calling me irrational.

No, your beliefs are not part of you, your arms and legs are, but not your beliefs. You would embrace your beliefs like a bowler embraces his bowling ball.

18. Linx Rose profile image62

I seriously hope the Moirae teach u a lesson dude..

Yes, it is often believers here wish the worst on non-believers their mythical gods ultimate wrath so they may feel elated that yet another great evil that threatens the foundations of their faith be destroyed and they may emerge superior.

lol

No you fool, the Moirae is great for the fates, you know like karma you jerk. =p I'm not wishing had on you or anyone, honestly.

^_^ oops, *bad*

*Greek*

Yes, I know about the Moirae; Klotho, Lakhesis and Atropos. Considering they are merely superstitions and believed by the gullible (like karma) to exist, there is little difference in the quantitative nature of their resemblance to any other mythical entity.

Your kinda annoying ya know that? =\ no offense but jeez, if I told you science was a lie would u go away?? What's the point of bothering everyone with your nonsense when it doesn't matter to begin with? Yes I said nonsense, I appreciation science and logic but I don't believe all of it. You may go ahead and do so. That is ur choice. But to try and argue who's belief is wrong and right? That's not even logical its stupidity. Which is what ur being right now, you know Besinds an asshole.

Oh yes, the ole' "go away, you bother me, son" routine. How quaint. Is that how you deal with people, you tell them to go away?

Really? Even though science has brought you everything to take for granted and use everyday of your life? How disingenuous.

You do realize those types of personal insults will get you banned?

Shall I report you so you can have a nice time out?

2. profile image61

Our Gods ultimate wrath? You should do your research.

Research? Aren't you the one saying science finds everything impossible? Hilarious. lol

Dude, ur a loser. Shut the Hell up. -_-

1. profile image61

Hilarious. a meagre statement i shall not understand until you place it correctly.

2. profile image52
            Maia Moonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think it's just sad that you have nothing better to do than tell people trying to discuss their religious opinions and beliefs that they are wrong or silly. If you don't believe than that's fine but why are you here? You are either here to cause a fight as you are not discussing things in a calm and open-minded manner (open-minded not meaning that you are open to changing your beliefs just that you are open to listening in a respectful manner in addition to responding and posting your own opinions in a respectful manner) or you are here to convert people to your point of view.

Personally I think you're here because you're bored and want to irritate people for entertainment purposes and that's unfortunate because one can be irritating without insulting people's beliefs. It's sad to think that this is what your life has come to no?

As for everyone else, I think the best thing that can be done is to ignore "A Troubled Man" (as he is indeed troubled and in no mood not to enforce his troubled state onto others) even though it's irritating and insulting because we're allowing him to accomplish his purpose. We know he's wrong in the way he's going about things. We know he's insulting. Pretend he's not here and at least we're not inflating his already over-sized ego. We don't have to be friends wit him but if we skip over every comment beginning with "A Troubled Man" then we don't get angry and he doesn't get off trying to convert or irritate everyone. Honestly he would be an awful converter so I'm guessing he's just in it because he's wanting to anger people and thus he is accomplishing his goal.

He's a troll. Stop reading him and he'll get bored and go away or, at least he'll stop having power over us because no one will read him, and if they do, they will know he's entirely insignificant as no one responds to him anymore.

Very well said Maia Moon. Like I said a few posts ago, there's a reason his Screen name is "A troubled man."

So, folks like yourself can focus on me personally, get banned and then come back with a new userid to focus on me further. lol

Yes, I can see you're here not to cause a fight but instead to discuss "subject matter" in a calm and open-minded manner.

Not anywhere near as sad as someone who creates a userid to do nothing more than launch a tirade.

Really? I have power over you? lol

1. profile image61

Just to clarify, you don't think mala moon is me do you? Because it isn't, and i'm not banned. And also, my ban got lifted after i reported you and asked them to look into the issue. Also, all you have done with your account is troll religious questions. So i guess you're no different in that respect.

I would like to say to you one more time before i take mala moon's advice, there is no need for you to challenge others beliefs, it's just as easy and probably much more fulfilling to spend your days being kind and leaving others alone. Religion and belief differences are not as important as the way people behave. if every body behaves in a moral and kind manner, then despite religion or anything else, atleast their can be some sort of understanding. What you are doing is aimless, not to mention pointless... And is little more than warmongering.

Why? You are perfectly entitled to live your life on a path of closed doors and scientifically explained happenings. I understand why that is logical to you, and why you wish to live that way. But not every body wishes to live that way... or be baited because they don't live that way. You are human, which means I know that you understand that it is unfair. Everybody has a conscience, and you are no different. So please listen to it, and allow yourself to just drop this unnecessary discussion. Please... what is there to gain on either side? nothing. So just stop now...

What issue? Why did you report me? Did I insult you personally?

Dealing with religious questions is far different than focusing on the individual, did you know that?

lol That's hilarious. When will believers leave the rest of us alone and keep their beliefs behind closed doors?

lol Pretty funny stuff. Religions don't allow their followers to behave morally or ethically, they do nothing but promote conflict and violence, and you say I'm the one warmongering. Classic!

That would be exactly the same "scientifically explained happenings" that provides YOU almost every single thing in your life. Closed doors, indeed.

Yes, I know, they diss science, just like you, and then reap all of its benefits. Hypocrisy abounds.

lol

1. profile image61

You have no idea of my beliefs whatsoever... i do not diss science at all. Everything with scientific proof requires no further explanation, it is what it has been found out to be. I am constantly looking into the discoveries of science and i find them quite amazing. But might i just say, that there is nobody within my religion that would preach their beliefs and cause wars over it, it directly opposes the main principles of our beliefs. So once again, you need to do your research.

labelling every religion into 'believers' is really quite ridiculous aswell, every religion and set of sub beliefs have their own principles and individual viewpoints of the world. Funny isn't it, that science thinks no proof means something doesn't exist, but it takes a whole world of proof to prove it does exist. Does that not seem a little stupid? have you never heard of no news is good news? innocent until proven guilty? and all of those other phrases? it seems that your closed minded, destroy the world, find out unimportant shit science is the only thing that doesn't apply that rule. How sad...

19. lone77star profile image72
    lone77starposted 12 years ago

And it's quite possible that the ancient gods and goddesses were merely normal individuals or groups (more likely groups).

Take for instance the story of Asett (Isis), Auser (Osiris), Heru (Horis) and Sett (Seth). So much of the conflict sounds entirely unbelievable so long as you think of them as powerful individuals.

Cutting up Auser and putting him back together again so Asett can have sex with him to give birth to an heir? That sounds crazy. But if Auser were merely a group of town leaders -- a counsel, then when they came together after being disbanded by the Sett group, they gave their blessing (seed) to a new, stronger group, Heru.

Later, when Heru and Sett turn themselves into hippos (submarines?), Asett injures Sett and he begs for mercy. Asett gives mercy, but Heru is outraged and cuts off his mother's (Asett's) head, hiding it from her in the mountains. Later, the head is restored to her and she becomes even stronger. Again, this sounds crazy. But if Asett is a group (matriarchal), and the head (leader) was kidnapped by the Heru group, then it sounds more plausible.

A number of ancient myths and legends make far more sense when seen through this "lens."

And the "Asett" group? Refugees of Atlantis? My research indicates that they may have been matriarchal. And the Sett (opposed by Asett) were a renegade, male-dominated group bent on conquest rather than peaceful coexistence.

Just as there was for Amazon warriors, there may have been some truth behind those old stories. We merely need to look at them with the right viewpoint and test them against the evidence.

1. Druid Dude profile image60
      Druid Dudeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Now you're thinking outside the box...lottsa room out here.

20. Jarp profile image61
    Jarpposted 12 years ago

Brigid is my Matron Goddess, in her I relate all of my life.
    Loki is my Patron God, in him I feel a small sense of relation, deep inside I can sense a part of him sitting in wait.
    <3

1. profile image52

I feel ya on that one my patron is Loki god of chaos,change and mishief as well but my
      matron is from another pantheon shes Eris Goddess of spite and Discord

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)