Bernie Sanders (I-VT)

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (26 posts)
  1. LiamBean profile image79
    LiamBeanposted 12 years ago

This country does in fact have a serious deficit problem. But the reality is that the deficit was caused by two wars - unpaid for. It was caused by huge tax breaks for the wealthiest people in this country. It was cause by a recession as result of greed, recklessness and illegal behavior on Wall Street. And if those are the causes of the deficit, I will be damned if we're going to balance the budget on the backs of the elderly, the sick, the children and the poor. That's Wrong! - Senator Bernie Sanders (I-VT), Senate Budget Committee 11-19-2011

1. steveamy profile image60
      steveamyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Bernie is absolutely correct.....what is your question ?

LiamBeanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Why would you assume that I had a question?

2. Evan G Rogers profile image62
      Evan G Rogersposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The deficit isn't JUST the warfare. All those food stamps and college educations cost money as well

A Depression can't be caused by "greed". Until you can show me some sort of "greed measurement" that can quantitatively show that greed suddenly spiked in 2007-9, then this argument is flawed.

I fail to see how tax breaks lead to crashes. Can you spell that out for me?

... good sound byte, but it's full of flaws.

The cost of the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq are currently over one trillion two hundred ninety six billion dollars.

The cost of food stamps is currently seventy four billion dollars. I'm not sure why you are including the cost of college education. This is always paid back by factors of ten or better.

To put this into perspective the cost of food stamps represents not quite six percent of the total cost of these two wars.

In short it's a very lopsided comparison, but you run with it if you wish. I'll be here to put some hard facts on your spin.

As to "I fail to see where tax breaks lead to crashes," where exactly did Bernie Sanders say that? He is saying the poor and elderly should not be faced with paying back these expenses when they can little afford to. In fact I'd go so far as saying saddling the poor and elderly with this debt will ensure that it is never paid back.

I am always highly amused when an opponent brings a false argument to the table when cold hard facts will not support their views.

1. Evan G Rogers profile image62

Price of federal welfare:
          http://www.usgovernmentspending.com/wel … rt_40.html
          $600-800 billion / year.

Price of warfare/defense:
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_b … n_for_2012
          $800-900 Billion / year.

Translation: Welfare and warfare are bleeding us dry. Quit acting like it's just warfare.

but at least "federal welfare" has a positive human benefit...

no it really doesn't.

Let's all have another glass of Kool-Aid ...

2. lovemychris profile image77
        lovemychrisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

8 years of tax breaks to rich people (2003-2011) and laizze-faire gvt-- 2000-2008:

CRASH!

Proof is in the living of it. What else do we need?

1. profile image61
          logic,commonsenseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I seem to remember that Obama signed an extension of the Bush tax cuts.
          When are you guys going to hold Obama responsible for his policies?  He's been in office 3 years, time for him to grow up and quit blaming Bush.
          During Bush's term there were at most 28 million people on food stamps.  So far during Obama's reign, over 47 million.  Course he loves it, makes more dependent on him and government.

Another false argument.

Obama signed a bill that was passed by the Senate. He has a choice; sign it (like it or not) or veto it and watch it pass anyway.

Don't you guys get tired of telling half-truths? I guess not!
            http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6088204_f248.jpg

LAISSEZ FAIRE GOVERNMENT!?

BE YE DAFT?!

REALLY?!?!?! YOU THINK THE US HAS A LAISSEZ-FAIRE ECONOMY?!?!

ACH DU LIEBER GOTT!!

1. lovemychris profile image77
                lovemychrisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, most definately under all the Republicans, and Bush most recent. They look the other way..*wink* *wink* *nudge* *nudge* to big business and big banks.

Cheney's energy policy: OUR energy policy, decided by him and his oil cronies in a small room.
                BP oil spill, Crash of the economy...lights on, but no one home.

Who was that guy...Markopolis! HE can tell you all about it!

2. steveamy profile image60

Two wars off the books ... blew out the deficit.  Social spending at least has a positive effect....Decry the "welfare state" all you want but ..bottom line -- people are helped.

Lest we forget. The right loves to characterize social security as a form of welfare too. Funny thing about that though; I've been paying into that for close to thirty years. I don't know of any form of welfare that requires advance payments of up to thirty years before use. Most other types of plans like that are called retirement savings.

Social spending doesn't have a benefit.

To think so is to think that theft is a good thing.

So you are saying that keeping old people and the very young alive has no benefit. Got it!

Sorry to break the news, but doing all of that costs a LOT of money. I know that we all love each other, and I would hate to have to make such a decision for one of my own family members...

... but pawning off the expenses onto the public is the EXACT SAME THING as a Corporate bailout. The individual (company or loved one) gets the benefit (living / profit), and the society takes the hit.

You can't be anti-bailout and pro-welfare at the same time.

I gather from your statement "...but doing all of that costs a LOT of money. I know that we all love each other..." that you love money more than people.

It's just paper man! It isn't even represented by something physical (gold) anymore. All it gets you is the ability to purchase objects that wear out, become obsolete, or cost even more money to maintain.

People have more value because of their potential and their ability to look out for you when objects wont.

2. steveamy profile image60

Please take the Ayn Rand Objectivist stuff and get real...

I'm extremely sorry to have to be the one to inform you of this. It's a terrible shame that you have not been told this earlier.

but...

Economic laws still exist. I know liberals can't understand this, but it's very important.

If government forces money from X into Y, then Y's prices have to go up, and the quality of X has to go down. In fact, because this reshuffling of resources causes a boom, Y's quality has to go down as well. Then people think they deserve Y (after all, they've been getting it at an artificially cheap price for about a century).

Welfare has a damning effect on the economy. So does warfare.
                Both are bailouts.

I'm VERY sorry that Economics exists.

3. lovemychris profile image77
      lovemychrisposted 12 years ago

Because he didn't want to sign them then, and he wants to get rid of them now. In case you forget: Those tax cuts were a ploy by the R's to allow the continuation of unemployment insurance. Couldn't get one without the other: Compromise.

And I blame 30+ years of pols...because they practiced Trickle Down and Laizze-Faire. It's R policies that are the problem.

And if you want, I can get a graph that shows there were more peeps on food stamps with Bush than Obama....and no one ever called him the Food Stamp President...geee, I wonder why?

You don't know WHAT Obama loves, unless and until he tells you. So please stop putting motives on to a person you don't know.

4. steveamy profile image60
      steveamyposted 12 years ago

In the spirit of full disclosure ... I voted for Bernie last time and would again if I still lived in Vermont....If only..............

5. habee profile image93
      habeeposted 12 years ago

I think Bernie should run for POTUS!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)