Dental Insurance

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (27 posts)
  1. mom101 profile image60
    mom101posted 12 years ago

Is there such a thing as a dental insurance plan that reimburses me after I have gone to the dentist?

I have dental insurance, but, it will not cover any preexisting conditions.

I am about to undergo some major restorative work and the dentist I will be using does not accept any insurance.

Either way I choose to go, I will not be covered by my insurance plan.

1. profile image60
      logic,commonsenseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Dental insurance is just about the worst insurance I have seen.  It covers very little, especially now days.  However if you have a cavity before you get insurance, I'm sure the will take care of that, along with other minor issues.  It's the big ones that you have to pay out of pocket, regardless of insurance, most times.
      Unless you are a member of Congress of course! smile

mom101posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Of course. lol

2. mom101 profile image60

Of course. lol

3. mom101 profile image60

Of course. lol

4. mom101 profile image60

Of course. lol

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

A separate issue, but I've got to ask...

Does the dentist not accept insurance, or do the insurance companies not accept him? I'd research this guy... I could be wrong.

3. paradigmsearch profile image60

And how long have you had the insurance and who says you are not covered?

No, the dentist does not accept any insurance.

Therefore he is not on their "list". I am free to use him and the ins will reimburse me BUT at a much lower rate than they would pay a dentist on their list.

I took the plan out in Aug of last year, and have a 12 month waiting period on major services. By their calculations, my 12th month will start in Nov.

I spoke with them today and they also informed me, for teeth that had preexisting problems, I had no coverage.

The work I will be having done, with my dentist and no insurance will cost around 1600.  IF my insurance would have paid their part, meaning I had gone to one of their dentist, the cost before insurance would have been 3654 minus the insurance total of 352.  I am about to become a believer that insurance is a rip off.

4. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

From past experience, you had better call dentists in your area and see what insurance plans they take. The sales agents for dental insurance will LIE or the website will give false information as to who accepts it. I learned this the hard way!

Stacie, I have called just about every dentist from within a 2 hour drive from here.

The insurance policy I have is through my employer.

I spoke with them today and the lady seemed thrilled to tell me, we dont cover that.

Why have it?

5. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

Dental insurance is generally terrible and many reputable dentists don't accept it.  I set up a special saving account and pay into it monthly to cover dental and optical needs.

Does that work out well for you? I am thinking of doing just that.

I am a coward when it comes to pain. I am.

Just about to say to heck with it, and spend half the money, get the teeth out and be done with it.

St least no more pain.

I have a small fortune in dental work under the roof. lol. But, I can't stand pain. The root canals I had are beginning to break apart and etc. etc.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
        psycheskinnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I do it by automatic payment so I hardly notice it.  It takes a few years to build up your target amount (i.e. the cost of a root canal and a new pair of glasses added together) but them it is simple. You just have to pretend the money isn't there to avoid dipping into it.

6. ALUR profile image61
    ALURposted 12 years ago

I wish you luck! Let me know. I have a crown that will cost $900 out of pocket. My new dating header will read: "Man with dental plan"

thank you Alur.

I have come to the conclusion that what psycheskinner is doing, probably is the best thing to do.

At least, the amount you put back each month (designated of course) you know where it will go and that it wont be lining some corporations pocket.

7. paradigmsearch profile image60

Declined

8. Sue B. profile image92
    Sue B.posted 12 years ago

Yes, there are plans like that. I have heart of plans through AFLAC and other supplemental insurance type plans. I find them confusing and  complicated although I do find it cool that they reimburse even when you have insurance covering the procedures.

Sue B.

After doing research, I believe these types of plans are actually better to have.

Finding them is the problem. I do not know of any.

1. Sue B. profile image92
        Sue B.posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I googled AFLAC dental and got this link http://www.aflac.com/business/dental_in … ;WT.srch=1  There are other companies as well.

Thank you Sue B.

I just looked over this and this is the type of policy I need or want. It too also says no treatment coverage for missing teeth. That is part of my problem. I have had a few pulled over the years because I couldn't afford to "save" them. Then, I have had a few root canals, which have since come out.

Insurance? Who knows?

Thanks again.

9. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

I looked at supplemental plans, but the dental ones seem to cost a lot and provide little in return.  The ones that would actually cover an unexpected high cost (rather than just the usual checkups) were really quick expensive.

pyscheskinner,

can you believe this??? Several years ago i had a tooth pulled, and then another one later on. Since they are molars, my face is sunken looking and it interferes with chewing quiet a bit.

I was planning to get a bridge to help solve this issue. WRONG......Even after undergoing my waiting period, they will not pay a nik on any procedures for those teeth that were missing.

This is HOGWASH.

I am thinking about cancelling the insurance altogether. It is delta dental and their best plan. Expensive to say the least.

1. Stacie L profile image89
        Stacie Lposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I signed up with them   a few years ago and was unhappy to say the least.

10. paradigmsearch profile image60

Actually, anything having to do with medical in America is generally corrupt, crooked, thieving, extortionist, fraudulent, etc.

And this concludes paradigmsearch's rant for the day. big_smile

It sometimes feels good to do that. lol

But seriously, I feel ya pain, and agree with you.

Often, I feel we, well just didn't our kiss. (im hoping you know the beginning of the statement I am referring to). smile

1. Sue B. profile image92
        Sue B.posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree with everyone. I often feel like I would be better off just making a little savings account for my medical expenses and saving what I would pay into plans rather than pay for coverage.  It feels like when we truly need the insurance, whatever we have somehow is just not covered!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)