How do you deal with sorrow?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)
  1. GoldenBird profile image57
    GoldenBirdposted 12 years ago

I am really asking this.

1. mischeviousme profile image62
      mischeviousmeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I go through the five stages of grieving.

1) Disbelief

2) Bargaining

3) Sorrow

4) Anger

5) Acceptance

They may be a little out of order, but these are the stages of acceptance. When a family member or close friend dies, these stages are common place. Some individuals can be trapped in one stage or another, for more time than is deemed as healthy.

2. Sky9106 profile image65
      Sky9106posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hope it's not the strangest answer , but from the few I have experienced , it made we quickly become the person that I am .
      Whatever I know that I can possibly be sorry for I do those things which I know could eliminate that feeling.
      It's possible different with other people because the exhibit a range of reasons why the get that way.
      Bless.

3. couturepopcafe profile image61
      couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If you're asking how I personally deal with sorrow, it depends on the case. Anger seemed to be the longest held emotion when my brother died. Others have started with sadness and sympathy for the living and disbelief.

But actually dealing with it for me usually involves a lot of talking to myself out loud and rearranging the universe to fit my view of the situation. I think they call it justification for why or how this happened. Time tempers me and sometimes it feels selfish to be happy.

2. momster profile image59
    momsterposted 12 years ago

It depends on the situation. I usually try to find a positive outlook on things. Sometimes a little sarcasm helps a situation.
    If its a death I have been blessed with a feeling that a person who has passed on is not actually gone. It is if they have moved away and we dont stay in contact anymore. I remember the good memories about the person.
    It helps me to not focus my attention on the negitive things but keep a positive attitude towards anything. Something good will come from the bad things. It happens for a reason.

3. KellyPittman profile image77
    KellyPittmanposted 12 years ago

The most important thing I've learned to  NOT do, is to deny those feelings of sorrow, sadness, etc.  I think it's best to FEEL something, anything, for a time.  It is normal, human nature, to react to situations and ignoring our emotions only results in them coming back to you later ten fold.  So allow yourself a good time period to cry, to be angry, and to just accept what this is.  (and it will probably suck)

Just make sure you don't neglect your physical self.  Remember to eat, to rest, to bathe, (yea, sometimes we get so sorrowful we don't do that stuff) It also helps to have someone else in your life to hold you accountable to yourself.  After enough time has passed, take steps to move forward.  Baby steps are okay.  Test yourself by watching a funny movie or reading humorous articles.  When you begin to laugh again, even a slight a giggle, then this is proof that it is time, and it is okay to move forward. 

The next step for me is to start talking about it aloud.  If I don't have one person I feel comfortable talking to, then I write it down.  If I'm still dealing with anger, I'll find another outlet such as painting, but any activity you enjoy or something physical you can focus that energy on will be helpful.  Clean your house, tackle a big task like cleaning out the garage, rearrange your furniture in your house...  Projects that are born from our overload of emotions get done faster and the result is something that will surprise you, and you will feel good to have a finished product to look at when you are done.

There is a process to emotional healing.  I've been there numerous times and these steps aren't just a technique, it's just an outline to a normal healing process.  For me, it helps to see a little a progress everyday in myself.  It shows me that I'm on the road to feeling better again.  No rush, I just let it happen as it is supposed to. 

I know it is a long answer, but I do hope it is helpful in some way.  I wish you all the best in dealing with your sorrow or maybe helping another .......

4. profile image57
    SanXuaryposted 12 years ago

With out knowing the situation it is a little hard to know what to say other then to tell you I will not be the one pushing you. Some one posted a list but I always start with acceptance and work towards number one on that list. I figure out what is in my control and what is not and deal with what is. I decide what God has to do with it and what part does free will have to do with it. In all situations the World has to meet you half way and you have to meet it there. If no situation allows for this to happen then it is likely not your problem and regardless of your feelings there is only your life to play in it. Your life is the picture you leave perhaps unseen and unnoticed but the personal record of how you truly felt at the time. This record is what I do not forget in order to never repeat the mistake I made in trusting a liar or facing the truth later. If I see my life pass in front of my eyes this is the truth of what I will see and what others will see as well. When it is my mistake I take care of it but in dealing with the selfishness of others or things out of my control I can only suffer and learn from it. We are all on Earth judging ourselves and watching others judge themselves is often a lonely place to be. Sometimes we are only searching for the place we should be and becoming who we must be. You our never alone and no one can really help you at the same time but I am still here. Pain is not a contest anyone wants to win but I have experienced a lot in my life time.

5. GDiBiase profile image68
    GDiBiaseposted 12 years ago

With any sort of sorrow you have to let yourself feel it. You need to embraced it, let it take control, grieve when you feel sorrow,weep,scream,yell,sob,curse, let your raw emotions flow for as long as it takes. If not you will remain in the dark with that sorrow eating you up inside, let it out so that you are not paralyzed by it..

Within a 10 months time I lost 4 people I loved dearly, my dad, my brother-in-law, a grandmother and my mom. I remember after losing my mom, who was my best friend, of being so overcome with sorrow, being fragile from past hurts,   but I embraced the feelings, the sadness, the loss, the pain deep inside.I was not ashamed if things I would remember caused a tear to run down my cheek,or if someone saying a certain phrase made me sad, I let the sorrow ebb and flow, yes it took me a awhile to start to feel like I would be ok. But looking back I know it made me the strong person I am .

6. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 12 years ago

well...there are several stages...and sometimes it feels like the grief gets bigger as time goes by....one step at a time...baby steps...you may find bits of piece by being 'in the moment'

1. GDiBiase profile image68
      GDiBiaseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

yes, I agree there are stages, by embracing and meeting head on whatever emotions manifest  themselves. It will help with the healing.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)