Madonna and the Super Bowl - Your Thoughts? Expectations?

Jump to Last Post 1-24 of 24 discussions (31 posts)
  1. GmaGoldie profile image81
    GmaGoldieposted 12 years ago

What are your thoughts on Madonna for the half time show for the Super Bowl? Madonnas has promised no nipple (when she was on the Jay Leno Show). What are your expectations?

As Madonna ages and she is in tune with her health and fitness, I have a new found respect for her. I was surprised at the quotes that I have read about this astute business women. I thought she was just all glitter, bra and bangles but she is shrewd. She wants to be shocking and she knows it and best yet she knows it will pay.

Her third try at directing may prove disastrous. I am anxious to see the movie about Wallis and Edward aka W.E.

1. Shinkicker profile image53
      Shinkickerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't wee why she shouldn't be performing, she's a living legend and her stage show would suit the Superbowl spectacle.

2. gracenotes profile image90
      gracenotesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Like some other halftime presentations, this one was visually stunning.  I liked that part.

I also liked the incorporation of marching bands, pom poms, and cheerleaders, though there was too much ego on display with the self-referential chants to Madonna (is that part of an original song?  Sorry, I don't know her recent music).

For the musical part, it was just OK.

GmaGoldieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You make a great point - the chants of "Madonna" - over the top promotional.

The coordination for the visuals alone I thought were magical. I don't know how they did all that in 12 minutes.

Would love to know the cost of the visuals alone.

3. Les Trois Chenes profile image80
      Les Trois Chenesposted 12 years agoin reply to this
  2. Lady_E profile image61
    Lady_Eposted 12 years ago

I'd say give her a chance. She might be aging, but she's still got some magic left in her...

3. optimus grimlock profile image59
    optimus grimlockposted 12 years ago

I'm predicting most viewers will change the channel!

4. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

I used to like Madonna but since she started acting like a queen i have gotten tired of her.

5. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

paradigmsearch goes on recollection binge again... Sorry.

Some boys kiss me, some boys hug me
    I think they're okay
    If they don't give me proper credit
    I just walk away

They can beg and they can plead
    But they can't see the light, that's right, that's right
    'Cause the boy with the cold hard cash
    Is always Mister Right

'Cause we are living in a material world
    And I am a material girl
    You know that we are living in a material world
    And I am a material girl

Some boys romance, some boys slow dance
    That's alright with me
    If they can't raise my interest then I
    Have to let them be

Some boys try and some boys lie but
    I don't let them play, no way, no way
    Only boys that save their pennies
    Make my rainy day

'Cause they are living in a material world
    And I am a material girl
    And I am a material girl

Living in a material world
    (Material)
    (Material)

Boys may come and boys may go
    And that's alright you see
    Experience has made me rich
    And now they're after me

'Cause everybody's living in a material world
    And I am a material girl
    And I am a material girl

And I am a material girl
    And I am a material girl

A material, a material
    A material, a material world

(Material)
    (Material)

(Material)
    (Material)

[ From : http://www.elyrics.net/read/m/madonna-l … yrics.html ]

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

I just re-read the sucker.

Let's see what the responses are. big_smile

2. twilanelson profile image60
      twilanelsonposted 12 years ago

Madonna and the Super Bowl half time show was absolutely spectacular today.  I did not expect to be so impressed by every aspect of the show, although I was!  She and the other extremely talented entertainers showcased in the Super Bowl half time show were amazing and every moment was perfect.

3. readytoescape profile image60
      readytoescapeposted 12 years ago

I think Madonna’s half time show was the best performance offered by the NFL for the super bowl in years. She and her producers really hit a home run, and I’m not much of a Madonna fan.

The Top Commercial spot has to go to Doritos again for the “Missing Cat Bribe” followed up by The Voice spot with Betty White and then the Yogurt Head Butt.

4. Richard Craig profile image59
      Richard Craigposted 12 years ago

I honestly thought LMFAO and Nicki Minaj were better than Madonna.  Visually the show was great but I didn't enjoy Madonna's performance apart from when she did 'like a prayer' with Cee Lo, that was better.  It's probably because I'm not a Madonna fan.

5. TamCor profile image81
      TamCorposted 12 years ago

I wish I could say that I enjoyed the whole performance, but I didn't.  I know it's because I don't care for Madonna, or that type of music.

I didn't even realize who most of the others were who were singing with her until this morning, but I still don't know who LMFAO...(lmfao) lol

My favorite halftime performance was when The Who performed--I loved them!  I guess that explains why I didn't care for last night's then--a completely different type of music, lol.

6. manlypoetryman profile image83
      manlypoetrymanposted 12 years ago

Didn't watch the "material girl"...

Bring back "Up With People"! (Four time performing group of the Super Bowl Half-time show.)

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/11/2012/01/medium_9a97f619ee0800670e27dd3d2fbe4926.jpg

7. Alecia Murphy profile image71
      Alecia Murphyposted 12 years ago

When I was watching and right after, I was on Twitter and people started trending blame Janet and Justin. I blame them but I blame the NFL as well. Even though so many people are quick to judge Madonna's performance, I think what they NFL was trying to do was include everyone. I personally don't like Football that much so the halftime show and the commercials are the only reason I tune in. But since the SuperBowl is one of the few things families watch, I can see why they pick her. She's from a certain generation but most people know who she is by name alone. However, her audience isn't watching the SuperBowl in large numbers. But then again, it's always going to be hard because as much as they want young and hip that audience isn't always watching so much as Tweeting or YouTubing during breaks. And older audiences want stalwarts but they always don't put on the best shows. You can't make everyone happy and the NFL is going to have to realize that and stop trying to play these gimmickry games.

8. profile image61
      logic,commonsenseposted 12 years ago

It was horribly boring.  Too many people in it and just too much techno crap.
      Whatever happened to just entertaining instead of trying to make a political statement?

GmaGoldieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What did you think of the ending "World Peace"?

1. profile image61
          logic,commonsenseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think world peace is great, just does not make sense at a football game, where 2 sides are trying to hurt each other.  How many people watching went away thinking "man, I gotta do something to help world peace"?  What most were thinking is "thank god that's over, now  back to the game!"

9. GmaGoldie profile image81
      GmaGoldieposted 12 years ago

Alecia,
      I concur completely. The SuperBowl is such a cultural thing - it is a must for families. The commericals and the half time involve everyone including myself. I also like the rings - oh, my blingy side is showing!

You are right the babyboomer group demands the stalwarts and the broad appeal.
      The problem with the half time show is what works in the stadium doesn't necessary transcend to the television screen. As a peformer trying to electrify both the live audience and the tube, I think Madonna excelled.

The rapper who flipped the bird and gave the finger is a sign that we as a society must stand up and say no.

Ironically Madonna has issued a video out on YouTube, herself, asking for people to clean up their act. Madonna had stated she was nervous about what she couldn't control. The rapper had a great opportunity which I hope the media doesn't reply with notoriety - remember the rapper did it for attention - let's not give attention to the bad. The rewards MUST be for the best, we as a society must ignore the bad behavior and send a clear message we don't want you as part of our society.

The controversy created by people wishing to exploit themselves for attention grabbing devices is sad.  We must speak up and praise the hard working and ignore the bad apples.

10. couturepopcafe profile image59
      couturepopcafeposted 12 years ago

Somewhat of a letdown. The staging was spectacular. Madonna, not so much. Tired old songs, heels were so high she couldn't perform physically as well as she might have and IMO that would have added to the show. But seeing everything around her being so energized and she, not being able to dance around all that much because of those stupid heels, kind of disappointing. She looked awkward.

However, I give her big kudos for getting where she is at 60 yrs.old? She looks fantastic and I still like her.

11. vmartinezwilson profile image78
      vmartinezwilsonposted 12 years ago

I loved her performance and thought Niki Manaj and MIA should have done something else other that touch themselves and strut back and forth.  I loved CeeLo and LMFAO, who were both on point.  Like all artists who perform on the Half Time Show I thought it was appropriate that she sing past songs and her current single.

I wasn't thinking "thank god that's over", I was thinking that was one of the best Half Time Shows they've had in years!

12. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

I thought it was fine. I was glad to see Madonna not try to act 20 years younger.
      Not the most impressive half time show I've seen, but not too bad.

I liked the world peace at the end. The halftime show isn't so much about the game, but for the global viewing audience.

13. optimus grimlock profile image59
      optimus grimlockposted 12 years ago

she did much better then I thouht she would do. I liked it and ceelo reen is fater then he is tall lol. O ya nicki manashe killed it!

14. profile image53
      marroniposted 12 years ago

I thought that the performance was great to mix the old in with the new was fabulous and on the money. She looked good and everyone did a great job!

15. georgiecarlos profile image59
      georgiecarlosposted 12 years ago

I actually liked it. She may not be as young as other celebrities, but you can see she tries her best to be a great entertainer/performer

16. BeYOUtifuLife profile image71
      BeYOUtifuLifeposted 12 years ago

Enjoyed the combination of old and new music.  I thought it was a spectacular show.

17. I am DB Cooper profile image63
      I am DB Cooperposted 12 years ago

I'm not a Madonna fan, but I thought it was one of the better halftime performances I've ever seen. The stage was incredible, there were plenty of guest appearances, and the choreography was excellent. Of course she did mostly old songs because those songs are the ones she's most known for. The Super Bowl halftime show is not for Madonna fanatics, it's for a much more general audience.

1. profile image0
        Brenda Durhamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Madonna's show wasn't even fit for a general audience, considering a lot of kids AND adults watch the SuperBowl.  Are we supposed to be grateful there wasn't any "wardrobe malfunctions" or lesbian kissing or crucifying Jesus from her corner?  Heck no, because the lewd dancing/grinding/costume-flipping and the "performer" who flicked her middle finger at everyone was bad enough.   Is most of America so immune to radicalism that they still idolize people who deliberately mock or insult them?  I do wonder.

P.S. Are you really D.B.Cooper?  wink

18. profile image57
      SanXuaryposted 12 years ago

Madonna is actually huge in terms of a World wide audience. She would have been better if she only sang her older stuff that was popular. What impressed me was the fact that she sang entire songs instead jumping from one song to another and never finishing the song like they usually do. Other then that she is still Madonna and I am not really a fan.

19. kerryg profile image84
      kerrygposted 12 years ago

I don't know about anyone else, but the media fandom community did a collective "Bzuh? Squeee!" Madonna was essentially remixing a remix by one of our more famous members:

http://nymag.com/movies/features/videos/40622/ (Vogue/300)

Whether she knew it or not is currently a subject of hot debate. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)