Who is your favorite poet?

Jump to Last Post 1-38 of 38 discussions (65 posts)
  1. savanahl profile image68
    savanahlposted 12 years ago

I'm writing an article on great poets and would like to ask for your help.
    Who is your favorite poet and why? It doesn't have to be someone famous. Published and unpublished names welcomed. I'll go first.

My favorite Poet is E.E. Cummings. I loved the way he broke out from the crowd and did things differently, (for his time) such as using ampersands and his signature "i" that he didn't capitalize.

1. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Wow!  Cummings (er...cummings...ha) was always my favorite too, for that reason.

savanahlposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm reading E.E. Cummings Revisited by Richard S. Kennedy. It really delves into his life and the meaning behind his poetry and art. Awesome read.

1. profile image0
          Brenda Durhamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sounds interesting.
          I'm glad you mentioned Cummings.  This may sound strange, but for several years I've intermittently signed my name (when typing, not when writing) with small letters, and it really hadn't occurred to me exactly why I do that.  Now I reckon it's a connection to my liking for cummings's style.   Isn't it odd the influences we retain sometimes?.....

It's amazing! I love to take some quiet time whenever I can and sit and reflect on things like that. You'll be amazed at how many little influence affect our lives.

2. couturepopcafe profile image61
            couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You would have done it even without cummings. Instincts run deep.

2. pinto2011 profile image68
      pinto2011posted 12 years agoin reply to this

If you will ask that who is the greatest poet of all then undoubtedly and unbiasedly there is only one man in this universe. He is Mirza Galib of India, the emperor's poet. But language is barrier for you to personally read and savor his writings because he used to write in Farsi language. Not only his writings are great, he was having the perfect attitude of an artist. He was Michael Jackson of poetry.

Well, pinto2011, since you put it like that, I will definitely check him out. I have a friend who speaks Farsi. Thanks for sharing

2. couturepopcafe profile image61

pinto - the onus is on you to translate something short for us. Please

3. PDXKaraokeGuy profile image83
      PDXKaraokeGuyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My favorite(s): Ezra Pound, Robert Frost, Gwendolyn Brooks, Wallace Stevens, Sylvia Plath, William Carlos Williams

4. buckleupdorothy profile image69
      buckleupdorothyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My favorites are Borges, Anna Akhmatova, Emily Dickinson, Cevat Çapan, and T. S. Eliot.

2. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 12 years ago

pearl diver....he evokes many emotions, thoughts, and all so tenderly...he's very creative

I like pearl diver as well. I'm a big fan.

3. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61

i also luv to read Ralwus...he doesn't write here anymore...i found him again though and i am able to read some of his work regularly...he's also very creative

SomewayOuttaHere, where can I fine Ralwus's writings?

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
        SomewayOuttaHereposted 12 years agoin reply to this

...we're friends on FB

4. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 12 years ago

Emily Dickinson, Robert Frost, and Edgar Lee Masters.

1. couturepopcafe profile image61

Not too many people today get Dickinson. She had an uncanny knack for writing about death as though she were actually speaking to us while going through it.

5. snakeslane profile image81
    snakeslaneposted 12 years ago

H.D. (Hilda Doolittle, 1884-1961) 'Hermetic Definition'.

6. chanroth profile image49
    chanrothposted 12 years ago

Emily Dickinson, Robert Frost and a khmer poet kuy sarun

1. snigdha.s profile image76
      snigdha.sposted 12 years agoin reply to this

William Shakespeare, Robert Frost and Khalil Gibran, Mirza Ghalib

2. savanahl profile image68

I love Emily Dickinson as well.

7. snakeslane profile image81
    snakeslaneposted 12 years ago

Hello again savanahl, I'm sorry I did not answer the second part of your question earlier. (Why is H.D. my favorite poet?) I am working on that now. Regards, s lane

Looking forward to hearing from you. smile

1. snakeslane profile image81
        snakeslaneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ok, here goes.
        H.D. was a contemporary of Ezra Pound (was once engaged to him) and wrote a memoir about him "End to Torment".
        She was also a reknowned poet in her own right whose style is often referred to as 'imagist' and frequently described as "crystalline" a label she apparantly loathed as superficial.
        Her writing is largely influenced by Sigmund Freud. In a forward to "Hermetic Definition" Norman Holmes Pearson says this about her work:
        "Like many Freudians, she became quasi-Jungian and could bring the cabala, astrology, magic, Christianiy, classical and Egyptian mythology, and personal experience into a joint sense of Ancient Wisdom."
        As an aspiring writer, I admire the way she deftly moves between myth and metaphor, and between deeply personal and universal themes.
        I also enjoy the range of life experience that informs her work, (beautifully detailed in her autobiography 'HERmione' published posthumously by her daughter Perdita Schaffner).

Thanks for sharing. I'm reading some of her poetry as we speak, Evadne in particular. Very mythical and beautiful imagery. Can't wait to read more. Thanks.

1. snakeslane profile image81
            snakeslaneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You are very welcome, good topic.

8. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 12 years ago

No contest - Thomas Hardy!

Nice one.

9. savanahl profile image68

Anybody like Ernest Hemingway?

1. tammyswallow profile image91
      tammyswallowposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I LOVE Ernest Hemingway!

10. Sarah Bolluyt profile image59
    Sarah Bolluytposted 12 years ago

Jess Bolluyt.  She is beginning to be published and recognized.  She is my twin sister. smile

I also enjoy the poetic translations of Dante's Divine Comedy - I have no idea which one is the best actual translation of Dante's original text, since I do not know Italian, but they are certainly wonderful to read!  I am most familiar with those by Longfellow, Ciardi, and Cary.

11. Rosemay50 profile image60
    Rosemay50posted 12 years ago

Emily Dickinson, Lord Byron, and John Keats
    All great poets

1. habee profile image93
      habeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ditto on Keats! What a tragic life he led.

12. dkm27 profile image60
    dkm27posted 12 years ago

John Updike, Langston Hughes, Rudyard Kipling and Sylvia Plath are a few of my favorites.

13. jhamann profile image89
    jhamannposted 12 years ago

Theodore Roethke and Elizabeth Bishop.

14. jhamann profile image89
    jhamannposted 12 years ago

Oh I forgot the why,  Roethke wrote "My Papa's Waltz" and "Waking"  and Elizabeth Bishop is the author of many great poems, too many too count,  I also have to give a shout out to Ezra Pound who wrote those incredible "Cantos."

15. profile image0
    timmathisenposted 12 years ago

Picking a favorite poet is like picking a favorite flavor of ice cream at Baskins Robbins. But the most influential to me have been Steven Dobyns, Alan Dugan, and William Carlos Williams.

16. sofs profile image76
    sofsposted 12 years ago

Khalil Gibran, a Lebanese christian poet, his philosophy and spirituality have made his writing deep and full of wisdom. He was not in any sense a christian poet but there was a huge influence of Christian thought, Sufism, Islam and Hinduism in his poetic essays.  I love Keats and many other romantic poets but the influence Kalil Gibran's poetry has had on my life is amazing. I would consider him an all time great.

17. NightFlower profile image60
    NightFlowerposted 12 years ago

My favorite poets are Frederico Lorca, Sonja Sanchez, Nikki Giovanni, Shakespeare, Rita Dove, Amir Baraka, I'm going to stop right there...too many for me to keep going but my all time favorite (i think) is Sonja Sanchez.

1. profile image0
      timmathisenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm glad you mentioned Lorca. This gave me some inspiration to go re-read his "Suites."

18. livelonger profile image86
    livelongerposted 12 years ago

My favorite is Wislawa Szymborska, and I found out yesterday that she passed away a few days ago. sad

19. prettydarkhorse profile image56
    prettydarkhorseposted 12 years ago

I like the passionate poetry of Pablo Neruda smile

20. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61

omg...i can't believe i didn't mention her...another one of my favs is Kimberlyslyrics and she just publshed an ebook of her poetry....she is amazing! and so very creative

21. JKenny profile image90
    JKennyposted 12 years ago

I like World War One Poetry, particularly Wilfred Owen.

22. profile image0
    Poetic Foolposted 12 years ago

Wow, tough question!  There are so many great poets.  I like Robert Frost, Pablo Neruda, e.e. cummings (out of respect), Sylvia Plath, W. H . Auden, so many more. And those are just modern age poets. If I had to pick one though it would be Frost.

23. jessica.written. profile image58
    jessica.written.posted 12 years ago

Emily Dickinson. she was afraid of facing the world physically but could destroy and regrow it mentally. found love, found loss and still she continued. she was innocent but also daring. she wrote with all the human emotion. logic. she wrote truth, because she had no reason to lie.

24. Anabel Li93 profile image61
    Anabel Li93posted 12 years ago

There're plenty of them but I'd chose Sergei Yesenin, a russian poet. He's incredible..I'm not only impressed by his poetry but his life. Do you like to read him? smile

25. mega1 profile image78
    mega1posted 12 years ago

Pablo Neruda

26. vespawoolf profile image93
    vespawoolfposted 12 years ago

Edgar Allan Poe. His use of language and rhythm was beautiful and sing-song. Even though his poems are a sad reflection of his life, the stories he told through poetry are timeless.

27. StellaSee profile image75
    StellaSeeposted 12 years ago

I like John Keats because I like the imagery he brings out in his poetry (at least to me). As for a more modern poet, I like Sylvia Plath smile

28. poeticmentor profile image73
    poeticmentorposted 12 years ago

I can't believe no one has mentioned the great MAYA ANGELOU!  She is the truth. I have many and the second greatest is ME! come by. 1

29. savanahl profile image68

I forgot to mention Perspycacious. Great Haiku poems.

30. Sonya L Morley profile image59
    Sonya L Morleyposted 12 years ago

Ranald Macdonald, Dylan Thomas.  They write/wrote about the connectedness of everything in life and in death and I find their poetry stirring and beautiful.

31. asmaiftikhar profile image81
    asmaiftikharposted 12 years ago

Well i like alot poets but no one can compete with john Keats And Shakespeare.
    Beauty is truth and truth is beauty.

32. tammyswallow profile image91
    tammyswallowposted 12 years ago

A must read- Stanley Kunitz, "The Thing That Eats the Heart." I think he is the best poet in our lifetime. I love Billy Collins "The Laynard", Sylvia Plath, John Donne, Alexander Pope, Elizabeth Bishop, and of course Emerson.

33. Jonathan Janco profile image61
    Jonathan Jancoposted 12 years ago

Edgar Allan Poe.
    Because I'm such a hopeless romantic.

34. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 12 years ago

Tupac Shakir may he RIP

35. mega1 profile image78
    mega1posted 12 years ago

I still love Neruda - I'm liking Ralwus too

of course I used to worry that maybe everyone is a poet and so it would be a field of no distinction

but now, I really know it's not that everyone is juat a poet
    but that we all just are poetry

1. profile image0
      kimberlyslyricsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

+1 big_smile

36. Jaggedfrost profile image60
    Jaggedfrostposted 12 years ago

Most of the poetry I have read since rediscovering my voice (shortly after beginning to write here) have been from authors here.  Many of whom I honor and value.  Larry, Ralwus, Silentreed, amongst others.  I value Frost, Emerson, and Shakespeare.  I favor Poe but do not emulate him if I can manage it. Mostly I shut all these voices out of my head when I sought my own.  I now like mine very well but as I am not as known as my honored fore-bearers, I shall point to them and not myself. Only hoping the three finger rule works just as well now as ever.

37. ShubeyThePoet profile image62
    ShubeyThePoetposted 11 years ago

So far i've read all of Tupac's poems and I've been reading Robert Frost as well. Not too much into Frost, he just isn't my style and I get bored of him at times. Basically at the moment I'd have to say Tupac but i'm trying to read other poets too, so please give suggestions! I'm into deep poets, so that's why i'm not down with Frost.

1. Jaggedfrost profile image60
      Jaggedfrostposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have found that people resonate with poets that explain it how the reader feels life is or should be.  The further we expand into the mindset of other points of view we start to appreciate the cleaver ways in which they describe their way of life.  I am not surprised that you are not into Robert frost as he idealized rural and farm life in much of his work.  I very much doubt that he would understand Tupac any more then you understand his work.

1. ShubeyThePoet profile image62
        ShubeyThePoetposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree Jagged, I have his whole collection and i'm still reading. I've kinda made a note to myself that I don't want to end up writing like him because he just gives off a boring feel in my opinion. But he was no doubt good though, i'm not saying he wasin't. He just wasn't my style. I'm sure EVERYBODY would've understood Tupac if he wrote in correct grammar. Even so his messages still stood out.

38. whonunuwho profile image52
    whonunuwhoposted 11 years ago

My favorite poets are Frost, Kipling,Wordsworth, Longfellow, Francis Scott Key, and Emerson, and not necessarily in that order. There are many more and I suppose Kipling is one of my favorites.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)