my cat is physically sick for three days

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (19 posts)
  1. seanorjohn profile image72
    seanorjohnposted 12 years ago

My next door neighbour hates cats and has told me she has put down rat poison in her back garden.She has a vicious dog that she has suggested might attack my cat. My cat has been physically sick three days in a row. I thing it is rare for cats to be sick. Not sure what to do. Obviously I will take her to the vet. But very worried about the future. Neighbour seems to think I can stop my cat from roaming.

1. IzzyM profile image88
      IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Good idea to go to the vet, but the symptoms your cat is showing is not typical of rat poison, at least not the rat poison from this neck of the woods. Rat poison usually thins the blood so that any knock or scrape won't clot or coagulate, and rats bleed to death.
      The poison the farmers (illegally) put down here for the foxes results in a fairly quick and ugly death for any dogs who happen to find the poisoned meat.
      None result in just being sick.
      If that's any comfort.

Check with your local planning laws to see if your neighbor is allowed to put rat poison down in her garden when there are cats in the area.

Bad situation you have there.

seanorjohnposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Izzy, that has reasured me. It could be that I tried them on some new cat food by mistake, usual brand but salmon instead of chicken. I have two cats but just one is sick.

2. couturepopcafe profile image60
      couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I would think she'd be concerned about her own dog if she really did put down rat poison.

You probably shouldn't let your cat roam anyway. Cats are notorious for getting into fights with other cats, racoons, and dogs and can easily contract feline aids. Better to walk your cat or keep it in the house.

Good point. But the way they treat the dog concerns me. we have a big field close by and they just walk their dog on a lead. It only goes outside with its lead on and accompanied by the owners. I wanted our cats to be house pets but unfortunately the teenagers we employed to look after our cats when we went on holiday allowed them to roam the area. Big mistake on our part.

3. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Wow, I'm sorry to hear about what's happening to your cat.  I hope it's nothing serious.  Unfortunately, I'm not an animal expert, so I don't have any advice to offer, but it sounds like Izzy could be onto something with her suggestions.  I hope your cat gets better soon.

Thanks Steven , Izzy's comments did reassure me. I just hope my neighbour hasn't put something else down to poison my cats. I am really worried for my cats. I always saw myself as a dog person. I always looked after friends dogs . Then my daughters convinced me to get cats. Now I love them to bits.

4. profile image53
      WildQueenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Dont be so suprized! There are alot of people that hate cats. Your neighbor happens to be one of those people, they could be allurgic either way you should respect your neighbor and keep your cat on your own property.

2. Beth100 profile image70
    Beth100posted 12 years ago

Awwweee!  sad

Rat poison will kill your cat in a few hours if it ingests it and bumps itself to cause bleeding (internal or external).  Like Izzy said, it doesn't sound like rat poisoning.

However, a change in diet can affect them.  The ingredients used in one flavoring might be different than another, even if it is produced by the same manufacturer.  I suggest that you switch back and take your poor feline to the vet. 

As for the neighbor, if they are mistreating their dog (visual abuse), then call your local SPCA. 

I am not familiar with your bylaws in your area (obviously  roll ) but putting out rat poisoning is not only harmful to animals but even children who are walking about.  Sounds sketchy to me. 

Hope your kitty feels better soon!  smile

Thanks Beth, I now know it is unlikely to be  rat poison. My neighbour was real friendly for 10 years. But when we got cats she went crazy.

1. Beth100 profile image70
        Beth100posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Its bizarre how your own choice would affect her!!  Considering -- it's YOUR life, household, preference, etc.  Some people are controlling and become vicious when they realize they cannot control what is around them.  sad  Sounds like this is HER problem but is trying to make it yours.  sad

Go to the vets.  They will be able to run a few tests (probably blood) to see what is ailing your feline. Then, you can get down to the bottom of this. 

They are too cute to be sick!!! >.<

3. Peanutritious profile image60
    Peanutritiousposted 12 years ago

I am outraged that someone would put rat poison down. What a nasty person she must be. I would keep my cat in. We had a school boy deliberately killing cats with traps in my area. I kept them in. There are so many sick people in this world. I really hope your cat feels better soon. Your cat is lucky it has such a nice owner.

Thank you peanut. I can't believe my next door neighbour is acting like this. We always supported each other. She just really hates cats. We bought a cat scare thing for her. We sprayed the fence to disourage the cats to go over.Now she will not even talk to us. I sometimes hear her screaming at her husband. So maybe she is taking it out on our cats.

4. Nouveau Skeptic profile image62
    Nouveau Skepticposted 12 years ago

If she even said she put out rat poison I would suggest letting the police know.

There are many kinds of rat poison and toxic reactions can be very non-specific.  A vet would be able to help.

I wonder if police would be interested. Thinking about contacting the RSPCA. I know she wants my cats dead.

1. Nouveau Skeptic profile image62
        Nouveau Skepticposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Leaving uncovered poisons outdoors is illegal most jurisdictions, even if it is your own property.

Also, God forbid, if you find yourself needing to do something about this later--it doesn't hurt to give a heads up ahead of time.

Thank goodness both my cats back to normal. I found a poor bird that one of my cats must have killed. Perhaps this was the cause. Bells fitted to the cats collars did not give this poor bird enough time to escape. I know which one of my cats is the likely killer.
          The two cats in my avatar are called Annie ( black and white) and Sasha. Which one do  you think is a bird killer?

5. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 12 years ago

She wants your cats dead?  Did she tell you this directly?  If so, then I would have to question her motives for the rat poison then.  Not that I'm suggesting anything, but that sounds highly suspicious if you ask me.

6. Polly C profile image90
    Polly Cposted 12 years ago

I don't think you can put rat poison down like this to get rid of other people's pets - I think it is illegal and she could be prosecuted for doing so, if it is true. Even to actually get rid of rats, does it not have to be put in an area where other animals don't venture - we had to have the council put some down once but it was inside a drain.

In the UK there are cats everywhere, btw, it is rare to keep a cat indoors. No one (or most people) would expect someone else to do this.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)