Would You Hide Evidence In A Missing Person Case

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (35 posts)
  1. HattieMattieMae profile image61
    HattieMattieMaeposted 12 years ago

If you knew the answers to a missing person case would you tell, or hide the information to protect the person. Considering your are professional in the case and you just don't like the family?

1. A Troubled Man profile image58
      A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

So, are you asking if we are above the law or should just ignore it altogether? Perhaps, you're asking if we should retain our morals and ethics or just ignore them in light of not liking someone?

HattieMattieMaeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Just asking your opinion. What ever way you want to look at it. Just trying to figure out why someone I know might be doing it, and of course they are working in the case. I personally think its horrible hiding evidence.

1. profile image0
          Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You could be in trouble also if you don't share your suspicions with the authorities and that missing person comes to harm when you could have made a difference. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I didn't do what I could to help.

Yay I have already done this, but of course I'll never know, or hear what they've done about it.

2. A Troubled Man profile image58

All you do is provide more evidence to the fact that your religion has not taught you and morals or ethics if you're still trying to figure that out.

hmm....I told the on the person doing this, not that I did it dork! lol Nothing to do with religion! Just common sense to tell the truth if you no someone is hiding things. Your something Troubled man. Maybe that  is why your name is trouble! lol

Yes, and you just keep hurtling personal insults. How very Christian of you.

hmm...well i do apologize Trouble for hurting your feelings. I'm sure you are truly a huggy teddy bear, very sweet and lovable. I send you lots of hugs!

You aren't hurting my feelings, quite the contrary. In fact, your personal insults are laughable and show a complete lack of morals and ethics than anything else.

Ah, patronizing now. lol

2. HattieMattieMae profile image61

Now since you such a wise man Trouble and a perfect citizen of Hubpages, where are all your hubs on on Troubles wisdom? lol

I was asking the question hypothetically if you were in the position of the authority would it be something you would do.

2. RJ68 profile image60
      RJ68posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Regardless if I am a person in authority or not I have to really look at all the avenues and what is best for that person in hiding.  As someone mentioned children are more hurt in the system and pretty much thrown to the wolves so to speak...it would not be an option...
      However, the questions comes to mind what would be best for the case, me, or the party involved. 
      Please look at the fact that there are reasons why this person is doing this.

3. Jeff Berndt profile image73
      Jeff Berndtposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't have nearly enough information to make the call.

Is the missing person an adult or a child?
      Did he/she go missing as a child, and now is a legal adult? Or did he/she go missing as an adult?

If an adult, why is he/she hiding from his/her family?

Tell us more facts, and maybe I can guess how I might act. With no facts, other than "someone is 'missing' but I know where they are," I can't guess what I'd do.

well you can read about her Baby Katherine Phillips

1. Jeff Berndt profile image73
          Jeff Berndtposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ah: someone took a baby from her mom. Easy call. I'd absolutely tell what I knew.

4. arusho profile image61
      arushoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You should always tell someone (involved in the case) if you have information, you don't have time to waste in a missing persons case. I didn't read all the threads and know all the circumstances, but if you tell someone else you trust, you will probably feel better yourself.

5. Paulw2751 profile image61
      Paulw2751posted 12 years agoin reply to this

The real question is, what is your morality? What is the right thing to do.  Of course if you are a lawyer and have money on the case, there are no morals and you cover your client right or wrong, and that is sad. I never gave them any leeway for scruples as "professionals". But, if you have information that is pertinent to the case, you take responsibility for your own actions. You can say nothing and live the lie forever, or just get the matter out of the way. Liking the family or not, would you like yourself?
      Your choice.

2. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

Withhold information in a missing person's case because you don't like the family? I'd be curious if someone that incredibly low would actually admit it. I'm somewhat disturbed that you thought to ask the question.

I'm kind of disturbed I might be witnessing it. For they have basically told me few months back they possibly where the person was, and stated at the same time, maybe they were better off where they are, instead of the family they are in. I can't know for sure, just been watching the things he says, and it doesn't all jive with me. He could just be saying that, but he doesn't say it to anyone else in the public eye.

1. profile image0

Ok. Now that's different. If someone went missing of their own accord, I might let sleeping dogs lie.

no this was not an adult that went missing, but a child. I think they feel that they are protecting the child, but really If it was me I would leave in the authorities hands to determine whether a family is fit to take care of the child. That is what protective services is for. lol

1. profile image0

You know, I can see why this is such a sticky situation for your acquaintance. You said they are part of the system. Is that correct? So they know how truly impossible it is for social services to actually protect children.

I would say, if they know the family and are making a judgement call that they truly believe is in the child's best interest; they must care an awful lot for that child. To risk either losing their job or possible disciplinary action in order to protect the child's whereabouts says a lot about their motivations.

You need to question your own motivations also.  I don't know the situation well enough to know if I would agree with them or you.

I'm not to directly related to the case, for the most part I've stayed out of it, because it just turns out to be a big controversial mess. I let the authorities handle it, in every direction. They have the authority to do something. I really don't.  Just crazy that one of them, might have the answer, but with holding evidence while lots of people are donating money, giving time, and honestly trying to find the child.

1. profile image0

I'd need more info before I could know who I thought was right, or wrong. Letting the system have its way is not always the best way. But, it sounds like an unfortunate situation for the person who is apparently in hiding. I wish them all the luck.

3. barryrutherford profile image76
    barryrutherfordposted 12 years ago

NO

4. HattieMattieMae profile image61

I'm so sorry you feel that way Trouble! I'll send you a greeting card! Hope you'll forgive me, or maybe we can do what they taught me in 4th grade at the Catholic school. We can sit together all day eat lunch, hang out and talk, play video games, hold hands where ever we go until we get along. The lessons was love your neighbor and forgive.  Now I know this might be hard for you and all, because you might have to be nice.

Feel what way? Laughing at your personal insults shouldn't make you sorry. Try being honest for a change and apologize for the personal insults, instead.

So, you ask for forgiveness right before you toss out another personal insult. Unbelievable. lol

5. HattieMattieMae profile image61

I'm sure everyone agrees on hubpages you are the most loving guy on the site! smile

So, now you're looking for support because you toss out personal insults?

6. profile image48
    zigvab75posted 12 years ago

A question of morals. Personally, I would tell what I knew as long as nobody would be in harms way.

7. Carneades-Georgia profile image60
    Carneades-Georgiaposted 12 years ago

Would a crooked cop be involved who'd harm the person or such? Otherwise, do your duty.  As a utilitarian, I find that when people don't follow the rules generally, the consequences are bad.

8. Pcunix profile image91
    Pcunixposted 12 years ago

I'll tell you this:

A long time ago a family member got themselves in trouble.  Their lawyer called me and suggested that I might testify that this person was not where the evidence said he was.  I refused. The lawyer got angry.

Right is right.  I refused. Period.

9. rlaha profile image60
    rlahaposted 12 years ago

You know? That is a good question.  I think, though, that I would still give out the information to the best of my abilities.  I don't think that withholding evidence is the right way to go, no matter who it hurts.  I think that truth is the best decider of someone's fate in this case.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)