Domestic or Pedegree Cats.

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (16 posts)
  1. Eiddwen profile image74
    Eiddwenposted 12 years ago

Hi my last forum discussions have been on Dogs;however I then stopped to think and realised that I don't really know an awful lot on cats at all!!
    I suppose that Pedigrees have to be kept in doors ;or maybe not.
    Any information greatly  appreciated.
    I look forward to hearing from you.
    Eddy.

1. profile image0
      Derdriuposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Eddy, It's probably best to keep a pedigree inside so you aren't dealing with poison ivy, rabies or surprise pregnancies. The humane society here expects their cats to be kept inside once they're adopted. But it's tough to look at a kitten or cat that really wants to go outside just to feel the fresh air.* In that case, the next best thing is an open-air room in the middle of a house or top floor apartment/condo or an ample, screened-in balcony or porch. But I also know of a couple who have trained their two cats to take walks up and down a backcountry road when they stroll with their dogs. There also are people who train their cats to behave on a leash outside.

Good luck with the "cat-shopping**!", Derdriu
      *Do we ever forget the feel of grass when we run barefoot through a lawn?
      **Dai should like a cat because of catfish!

1. fpherj48 profile image61
        fpherj48posted 12 years agoin reply to this

There are literally hundreds of thousands of kitties waiting to be adopted, so unless you can be lucky enough to find a "pedigree" at a shelter, I would always advise someone to adopt rather than purchase.  I don't know about "prices" where you are, Eddy....but here', one can actually spend as much as $500.00 for a true "pedigree" cat.  Personally, I'd rather help thin-out the shelters and give an "orphan" a loving home. 
        I could tell you sooo much about cats, but I'd go on forever.  Hope you collect a lot of info here!  Good Luck....Meow.

2. tlmcgaa70 profile image60
      tlmcgaa70posted 12 years agoin reply to this

ten of my rescue cats livein an old trailer with access to a closed in yard, and i mean completely closed in. 7 live in the house with us. of those seven, only two are allowed outside. they were outside adult cats when we rescued them and they stay close to the house when outside. if i ever spent money to buy a cat, and i cant imagine i ever will...i would never allow it outside to free roam. money is to hard to come by. i would be crazy to let the cat out to get sick or injured or dead.

to the one who mentioned poison ivy...animals are immune to it. they can however pick up the oils on their coats and then rub against you, giving you the poison ivy.

2. Shanna11 profile image75
    Shanna11posted 12 years ago

Pedigree cats will more likely prefer staying inside, but that's just from my own personal experience. We have two cats-- one was a stray and the other is a kitten we adopted, and both loved going outside. However, the kitten was hit by a car and disappeared for three months. When he returned, we decided unanimously to keep the cats in. The stray cat was smart and knew to avoid cars and things like that, but there are sick people out there who will take no qualms in harming cats. Cats seem to be the constant victim of psychos.

Our pedigree cat had a lot of health issues, despite coming from a reputable breeder. She had hip issues and then later kidney failure. Stray cats are not immune from health issues, of course, but often pedigree cats can be inbred way too much. She was expensive enough that she stayed inside no matter what until she died.

The kitten that was hit constantly begs to go outside (he's not a kitten anymore, but I picked him out as a tiny baby, so he'll always be my kitten) but we use a leash now. He hates it and walks as if his legs have been amputated, but he's getting used to it and he's so docile that he's just happy to be outside.

Plus we don't end up with disemboweled birds on our deck anymore.

Of all my kitties, I found that sneaking in the stray and convincing my parents to keep her (it helped that she was the sweetest, prettiest kitty) and adopting the kitten were the most rewarding and fun. The cats had more personality it seemed, and I felt like I was doing something really good. The stray cat, who we named Lacey was literally taken in off the streets dying. We nursed her back to health, and she thanks us every day by being the sweetest little fur ball I've ever met.

3. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

Pedigrees are mostly just cats.  You don't have to keep them any differently to mix-breeds.

4. Genna East profile image83
    Genna Eastposted 12 years ago

Hi Eddy;

I can only answer for my calico, Callie.  She is an indoor cat, and this does circumvent certain shots she would normally receive because she does not wander about outdoors.  She is small -- a peanut, really –and I fear she would not do well amongst the much bigger cats that wander our neighborhood.

Actually, I took her outdoors one day and put her on the grass.  She meow-squeaked and rushed back into my arms.  She doesn’t like the feel of grass under her paws. (Lol.)  Needless to say, she is a spoiled little thing.  She was a saved cat, meaning that she was on her way to you-know-where, and I have never regretted adopting her.

Most pedigrees do prefer the indoors.  There is a saying:  “Dogs are there for you; you are there for cats.”  Callie is very affectionate.  They are different, but "aimez le diference." :-)

5. AliciaC profile image94
    AliciaCposted 12 years ago

I’ve had three rescue cats and two pedigree cats in my family. They’ve all been equally lovely pets and have all lived happily indoors, with trips outside on a leash. I really couldn’t let any of my cats roam free outdoors - it’s just too dangerous.

I think that the personality of a cat is more important than its breed when choosing a pet. Some breeds are known for particular characteristics, but there’s no guarantee that a cat of this breed will have all of these characteristics. As others have said, it’s a great idea to choose a homeless cat from a shelter if this is at all possible.

6. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

I think of a pedigree is less bold or robust than a non-pedigree, that is just poor breeding.  Whether you think cats should be in or out doesn't really relate to whether the cat is a Maine Coon or a moggie.

7. BlossomSB profile image80
    BlossomSBposted 12 years ago

Where I live many people used to let their cats roam free and they were killing many of our vulnerable wild animal life and birds so there are now rules and even a curfew. Cats and dogs must be restrained, especially at night and in some nearby forest areas there are warnings that if cats or dogs are found there, they will be shot on sight. Pets are great and can not be blamed for killing, for that is what they do by instinct. It is up to their owners to protect our native fauna before they are all extinct.

8. Alastar Packer profile image72
    Alastar Packerposted 12 years ago

Have recently taken in a big, intelligent Tom Cat. He won my affections when he stood up to all the dogs over scraps and left overs. He may not be pedigree but I wouldn't exchange him for one. Almost tame now, even comes in the house sometimes. Just can't quite bring myself to have him fixed yet though. Have heard some say that the male cats hold it against you when you have that done?

1. profile image0
      Home Girlposted 12 years agoin reply to this

They actually do! After 10 years without balls, my poor cat still missing them.He can come to me, turn around , lift his tail up and show me what's left there - nothing. I swear, I am not making this up. And I cannot tell him I did not have a choice. That was the adoption requirement. No balls!!! And I had to pay for it. Life is unfair you know. sad

1. Alastar Packer profile image72
        Alastar Packerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

yikes.......Ouch Mama!!

9. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 12 years ago

My friend paid $600(I would never!!!!) for this sucker.
    http://s3.hubimg.com/u/2389446_f248.jpg And in a couple of months she developed severe allergies(my friend) and had to give him up. But you should have seen that 'thing'! He behaved like a king, expected everybody worship him and actually LOVED BATHING(????????????). Amazing!

10. Eiddwen profile image74
    Eiddwenposted 12 years ago

Thank you so much to each and everyone of you for these posts;I have read and re read them : It is so nice to kniow that there are so many animal lovers all over the world and some posts had me in stitches Ha ha!!
    Also many tips and hints on cats that I hadn't heard of before . So appreciated.
    I wish you all a great weekend and keep the posts coming !
    Eddy.

11. PurvisBobbi44 profile image90
    PurvisBobbi44posted 12 years ago

Love does not distinguish between domestic and pedegree, as I've owned both types. (Correction, they owned me.)
    My Motto is: A Kitty is a Kitty--get yourself a Kitty.

Bobbi

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)