Is it fair that Muslims Demand People Stop Saying Merry Christmas or

Jump to Last Post 1-38 of 38 discussions (175 posts)
  1. Mark Psychedlic profile image80
    Mark Psychedlicposted 12 years ago

Please read the link below....
    <snipped - no promotional links in the forums>

1. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The link didn't bring me to any actual News on the subject...

I think what's been happening is more along the lines of "inclusion"---we're being urged to include other religions or to say "Happy Holidays".  It's being put forth as more of a "soft" attack on Christmas and a demand to say "Happy Ramadan" or whatever (ironically a deceptive tactic, 'cause why would Christians want to sanction an unChristian holiday specifically?)

I hate the "all-inclusive" carp.  If people want to celebrate Ramadan or Hannukah or whatever, let them celebrate separately.  Christmas isn't the same as those celebrations.  They're free to join Christians in our celebrations honoring the Christ, but we shouldn't be forced to include nonChristian celebration in Christmas celebration. 
      It doesn't matter who or what might suggest, or demand, I stop saying Merry Christmas, I'll still say it!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

1. Ron Montgomery profile image59
        Ron Montgomeryposted 12 years agoin reply to this

http://blog.mlive.com/bradosphere/large_CARP.jpg

One of these days Brenda...Onnnne of these days...

2. livelonger profile image86
        livelongerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

And I hope you have a delightful Hanukkah, Brenda!

1. profile image0

I don't celebrate Hanukkah, but thanks for wishing me a "delightful" anything at all, livelonger.

1. livelonger profile image86

smile There's the Christmas spirit!

2. MelissaBarrett profile image57
            MelissaBarrettposted 12 years agoin reply to this

and a happy Kwanzaa too!

1. livelonger profile image86

lol

2. nightwork4 profile image60
      nightwork4posted 12 years agoin reply to this

not in the least. christmas is part of our culture so they can leave if they don't like it.

1. profile image0

Indeed.  smile

3. Greekgeek profile image77
      Greekgeekposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Is it fair that Christians make us wear pink underwear?
      Is it fair that random posters can start an argument with a false generalization, demanding we respond to it as it if were fact?

Come on, pull the other leg, it's got bells on.

4. Sinbadsailorman profile image59
      Sinbadsailormanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If its Not Broke don't let someone try and fix It! Merry Christmas Every Body! And Happy Holidays to you Heathens Too GOD Bless Us everyone Amen.

5. Don Crowson profile image60
      Don Crowsonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Is it fair that our freedom of speech and freedom of worship be negated because someone is offended by what we say.  Hey, look at the first amendment of our Constitution.  Tell those people that if they are offended by our constitution write one of their own in a land of slavery.  We are the freedom lovingpeople of the world.

You do know that liberty is idolotry to the Musslim, right?

1. A Troubled Man profile image58
        A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The Constitution does in fact allow you the freedom to offend us with your speech, however I don't know why anyone would want to pursue offending others and much worse than that, use the Constitution to defend themselves.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image57

+1

I don't get it either.  Just because the constitution defends the right to be an ass, doesn't mean that people have to use that right.

If you are getting some deep-seeded sadistic glee out of wishing someone Merry Christmas (just to prove you can)... you're doing it wrong.

1. Don Crowson profile image60

So when they stop tto pray, they are not offending any one.  Is freedom of speech and freedom of religion right for one or all?

Making an ass of yourself is in the mind of the beholder just as being offended is in the eye of the beholder.

1. LookingForWalden profile image60
              LookingForWaldenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Are we arguing the legality of it or the tact of saying it to someone who obviously isn't Christian?

1. Greek One profile image64
                Greek Oneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The only solution is convert said individual and therefore make the greeting more meaningful and less uncomfortable for all concerned

2. Don Crowson profile image60

We should not be arguing the legality of it because it is obviously legal.  And I don't believe that anyone would say "Merry Christmas" to someone who is obviously not ChristiaN.  Doyou know anyone like that?  I don't

So what is your point?

You bring up Muslims stopping traffic in America to pray.
                  Where does this happen and what does it have to do with anything?

We have laws which protect my son from learning your beliefs (creationism) and muslim beliefs.

See America is great!

My point is that the Cponstitution grants freedom of speech and freedom of religion.  Specifically the Constitution says the Congress cannot abridge the free exercise. Conc;lusion The Christian and the Muslim have to right to practice their religion as long as it does not deprive another of his/her rights.   the right "Not to be offended" is not one of the rights in the Constitution.

So the very best thing to do to get even with them is to wish them Merry Christmas?

Once again, you are doing this whole "Merry Christmas" thing wrong.

There is a difference between saying "Merry Christmas" to someone of another faith and unwittingly offending them and malicious "Merry Christmases" to those you know don't share your views just so you can say "HA HA, I can say it and you can't stop me, I win"

There is also a difference between a religious observance and a greeting.  One is required by faith, the other is completely voluntary.

But yes, you "generally" have the right to say Merry Christmas to anyone you like.  I would go now to the nearest Mosque and scream it at the top of your lungs.  That'll show them.

Where are you getting the assumption that anyone is wishing a non Christian "Merry Christmas."  If a person knows another person is a non Christian, he doesn not wish that person "Merry Christmas.

3. A Troubled Man profile image58

If and when you stop to pray, do you think you're not offending others?

Our eyes also behold, Don. smile

I can pray sillently and no one will ever know.  Is that offending you?  How do you know what I am thinking?  Does my thinking offend you.  No wonder you chose to call yourself a Troubled man. Sounds as though you are easily offended.  Perhaps the smell of the world is your upper lip.

Perhaps, but I've walked into restaurants where Christians are praying and praising Jesus for their abundance.

Usually, they're offended by our conversations while they're praying. smile

Your beliefs can be offensive, but I haven't seen anything to give me cause to scrutinize your thoughts.

Insulting me personally is also offensive, Don. Was that your intent?

No, it was not my intent to insult you, but that does illustrate the point of how you can become offended without cause.  Right?

So tell me, wjhy is saying "Merry Christmas" more offensive that have the Muslims stop traffic to pray five times a day?  Wow, double standards?

Where does this happen?

In every Muslim country and it has happened in the US.  Check it out,

Where in the us do Muslims stop in the middle of the road to pray?

Is there YouTube videos of this?

What does anything that happens Ina Muslim country have to do with us?

Nothing unless they desire to force their beliefs on us.

2. A Troubled Man profile image58

I don't know about stopping traffic, Don.

But, just because both you and the Muslims have the right to practice your religions doesn't mean you're not going to be offended by those practices.

I am most certainly offended by Christians and Muslims equally for evangelizing their religions, but I'll stand by their right to do so.

The problem isn't about rights, Don. The problem lies within the practice of evangelizing itself.

How sad. Christians and commanded to "Go and make Disciples."  Now it thatoffends you, the next time someone tries to evangelize you, just tell them politly that you are not interested.  Hey, a litle politeness takes care of every situation.

It is far more polite to NOT evangelize your religion.

If someone wishes to not take responsibility for their actions of evangelizing their religion and use the defense that Jesus is commanding them, then the authorities have no choice but to stop them on the grounds of insanity. They might even be considered dangerous to the public and have to be taken into custody for their own protection.

So you state your opinion.  IUf everyone had your popinion no one would respond to the evangelistic call.  But not everyone has your opinion.  so don't judge the rest of the world  by your own thoughts.  Let those who will respond.  The message is Whosoever will may come.  Sostay away.  Your choice.  But people are free to ask in a Constitutional Republic such as ours.

So, who exactly is supposed to respond to the evangelistic call?

If someone already follows another religion, they don't want to hear it.

If someone does not follow a religion, they don't want to hear it, either.

If someone is a Christian already, no need to spread the word to them.

So, who is left to evangelize, Don?

Yes, you are free to disrespect, alienate, and spread hatred to others with your speech, Don. We already covered that.

2. Ron Montgomery profile image59

My God commands me to urinate on the intruders...

See how that works?

2. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 12 years ago

I don't know.  I just tell people "Happy Holidays" to avoid the issue altogether.  This way even if the person is an atheist, I can always say that I COULD be referring to New Year's.  big_smile

3. pennyofheaven profile image78
    pennyofheavenposted 12 years ago

That would depend on whether you're Muslim or not. If you're not Muslim it wouldn't matter what they demand would it?

That's true, Penny.  The complainer gets the attention and Muslims are the complainers in this case.I believe you might lose  your head if you said "Merry Crhistmas" in a Muslim country.  Religios intolerance is practice by some liberals in this counhtry.

lol Yes Don, in a religious state, you might not be able to freely practice your religion. That is why you live in a Secular state that allows you those freedoms. If we lived in a Christian state, for example, you might be the one wielding the axe.

So wishing someone a "Merry Christmas" ias the proper thing to do.  that is unless you wish som bigot a "Merry Christmas" and offend the bigot.  Why have you been agreeing with me allof this time and argueing the point.  Mertry Christmas.

I wouldn't agree. Christ has nothing to do with the pagan Yule celebration or December 25 other than that was the date chosen when the Julian calendar was adopted.

Would that make the person who is offended by Muslims praying also a bigot?

Hey, Dec 25 is the accepted time, and I am aware of the reasons why.  But that doesn't matter does it?

Only if that person insists that his way is the only way.  In a free society, shouldn't all have the same rights?

2. Pcunix profile image89
        Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh, nonsense.

It's not "intolerant" to suggest that you ought to keep your fantasies to yourself.

In a free society you should be able to express your thoughts regardless how insane they are.,  I have noticed that some liberal minded people object to free speech.  But why would they not object.  They hate everyone who disagrees with them.  Right?  At least that MHO

1. Pcunix profile image89

Yes, Don, you have a 'right". Polite people don't annoy others with our inner foolishness.  Proselytizing is annoying - but you don't care, right?

So, If I asked you to talk about the Lord Jesus Christ, and you told me you weren't6 interested, I would drop it at that.  But how am I supposed to know that you aren't interested until I ask? And if you get annoyed simply becau8se I ask in a po0lite manner, you proved my point.  Right? I would not know that you were a bigot until you reacted in an uncouth manner  In fact, it would indicate that you lack self control.

:rollseyes:

Cause only bigots are annoyed constant conversion attempts.

rolleyes, you are the one who used the constan.  I specifially limited the conservation to one question.  If the person is not interested, let it go,  Was that not what I said?

Has it occurred to you at all that non-Christians and even Christians like myself who are not apparently not Christian enough are harassed on a regular basis by those wishing to talk to us about Jesus.  You are not the only worker on God's Great Referral Program.  If ten people a day asked you if you wanted to talk about Buddha for 15 or 20 years, how would you feel?

We are not interested in hearing about your religion. Is that clear? Do you need for me to repeat it again? Can you stop evangelizing now and try to respect the wants and needs of others?

Thanks muchly.

If I walked up to you and  started telling you that religion is irrational, you'd be annoyed.

But I wouldn't do that.  I wouldn't ever do that to anyone.

No, I would not be annoyed.  I would simply leave you unless you want to reason your point.  There si nothing like good debate to reach the truth.  Now if you are unreasonable, I would not attempt to reason with a closed mind.  And I hope you wouldn't either.

Sure, no problem, why anyone would want to do such a thing and then defend their insane thoughts with the right to free speech is baffling.

Is that really what you believe free speech to be?

Usually, free speech allows intelligence to prevail over oppression or ignorance, not the other way round.

And you...  Do you really care whether the Muslims are offended by Christians or vice versa?  How do you have a dog in this fight?

Well, I assume the Constitution gives everyone the right to practice his religion as he wishes.  that's why the country was formed.  Religious freedom.  so my dog i9n the fight is that if one religion has rigts that the others do not have, there is oppression. Religious and political freedom is the essence of our Constitution. It can be lost by those who deny rights to some while extending the same rights to others.  Equal rights is my dog in the fight.

Wow, so wasn't talking to you.  I know what your dog is in this fight... convert the unwashed masses by attacking them with malicious "Merry Christmases"  Still would like to see you stand outside a mosque wishing everyone a Merry Christmas.

Soory, it was my mistake.

We know that not to be true by the fact that you are offended by Muslims praying and stopping traffic. You believe you have the right to evangelize your religion which means taking it out from behind closed doors and making it a public issue. You are further offended if people are offended by your evangelizing.

I see no equal rights there.

I( did not say that I was offended by that.  I simply used that as an example for equal rights among all religions.  Don't put words in my mouth.

Of course, we have to stop the religious conflict and wars. It has to end or it will be the undoing of us all.

Err... Okay, so have you chosen a side to throw down with... oh great peacemaker?

My side is for human beings, uniting mankind, that sort of thingy...

Religions make sure that will never happen.

Exactly, Troubled Man, and when you deny someone to speak you may well stop the besrt solution.  You assume that the ignorance cannotbe corrected by intelligentr reasoning of others.  It can, and as you point out it usually is.

4. kirstenblog profile image79
    kirstenblogposted 12 years ago

The last school I worked at had a high population of Muslim families. When christmas came round I thought it would be best to wish everyone a happy holiday. When I had the Muslim mom's (sometimes dad's but less often since they didn't do the school run) all started saying "Merry Christmas" to me, well I got over it. I never had one get upset if I said marry christmas and when I talked to them about it they thought it was silly to be upset over someone wishing you well, whatever the holiday or reason. Sense is not something that everyone has tho.... hmm

5. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

I think it's a grand holiday that was cultivated by the Christians. Maybe Muslims who are offended should not participate. I don't hear anyone up in arms about recognizing Ramadan.

6. LeanMan profile image79
    LeanManposted 12 years ago

When I was in Saudi Arabia I was often told merry Christmas by work colleges and friends as the holiday approached, I even received official work emails - whilst I worked the whole day as it is not recognized as an actual holiday..lol

The point is if the people in the birth place of the Muslim religion can say it then there really is no problem... It is just idiots who try to make a big deal about their and others religions that spoil these things!!

1. Paraglider profile image89
      Paragliderposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I thought you were still in Saudi. Are you still in the Gulf?

1. LeanMan profile image79
        LeanManposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi Para, have taken a year out to relax in the Philippines as my wife has had a baby..

1. Paraglider profile image89
          Paragliderposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ah, OK - congratulations and enjoy your year out together!

7. Ron Montgomery profile image59
    Ron Montgomeryposted 12 years ago

A bunch of religious zealots trying to tell others how to greet us during December?

Thank God Christians don't do that roll

8. Alecia Murphy profile image70
    Alecia Murphyposted 12 years ago

I have a hard time saying Happy Holidays. I grew up saying Merry Christmas because most everyone I know celebrates Christmas. In the south, it's almost assumed so I just say Merry Christmas. I don't mean to offend anyone but it's a hard habit to break and sometimes when I do try to say Happy Holidays, I feel like it's hard not to offend people who only celebrate Christmas. I think this makes me realize that saying Have a Nice Day is better than anything else. But like I said, it's not meant to offend, it's a part of my culture and faith.

9. Richard Craig profile image61
    Richard Craigposted 12 years ago

If we have to respect their culture and traditions, shouldn't they respect others?

10. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 12 years ago

Nothing in life is fair!

11. Greek One profile image64
    Greek Oneposted 12 years ago

I usually greet someone with "Merry Christmas non-believer!... you will no doubt burn in Hell one day, so please enjoy the cool winter while you can oh you soon-to-be-damned."

Then I direct them to one of my Hubs and ask that they click on any link that they might find interesting

That is a violation of HP TOS. 

May you burn in Hell for all eternity.

1. Greek One profile image64
        Greek Oneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Good Morning to you too, Ron! smile

Don't tell me what kind of morning to have mad

1. profile image0

ROFL!

12. Perspycacious profile image62
    Perspycaciousposted 12 years ago

Good teaching from my 103 year old Mom:  "Your rights end at the end of the other guy's nose!"  Sure wish other guys had moms such as mine.

1. profile image0

What does that mean?

It means blowing your nose on people who want to take away your rights will lead to a long happy life.

13. Greek One profile image64

it means Muslims are nosy

14. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 12 years ago

And "Ramadan Mubarak" too Ms. Brenda!

15. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 12 years ago

Oh you guys are fun fun!

Happy Easter (Resurrection Day) in advance!  (Wonder how many well-wishes I'll lose there)......

16. Greek One profile image64

http://cdn.someecards.com/someecards/filestorage/not-remotely-terrified-wishing-ramadan-ecard-someecards.jpg

17. aware profile image67
    awareposted 12 years ago

in the right hand are two words. they are  "happy holidays" .
    I've never  had someone turn those words down for the two i hold in my left.
    which are "F You".
    for that I'm thankful.

1. profile image0

Ah...and we're back to being soooo politically-correct...

2. profile image0

Merry Christmas, aware!

18. aware profile image67
    awareposted 12 years ago

ill stop . dang .

19. Ron Montgomery profile image59

Happy Carp revenge on Brenda day.

1. profile image0

Bring 'em on!  The carp, I mean.  They're pretty good eatin'.

20. Greek One profile image64

http://womanhonorthyself.com/wp-admin/images/christm-as%20toon.gif

1. profile image0

Now that's about what it could come down to.

21. Perspycacious profile image62
    Perspycaciousposted 12 years ago

My comment meant that we can do almost anything, but once we physically harm another person we have gone too far.  Ask my Mom, she'll explain it to  you.

1. profile image0

Thanks.  I was just askin'.
      I had thought maybe you meant something different.

22. Disappearinghead profile image60
    Disappearingheadposted 12 years ago

What?! People are bringing religion into Christmas these days? Whatever next? Tuh!

23. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 12 years ago

If someone wishes me happy Ramadan, I thank them.
    If someone wishes me happy Hanukkah, I thank them.
    I'm not Muslim or Jewish. I'll take any sort of good wishes I can get! I'll never understand how anyone can feel offended by hearing "merry Christmas."

24. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 12 years ago

What's up with the change in the thread title, I wonder?  At least....from my view it now shows symbols that weren't there before....

25. mistyhorizon2003 profile image89
    mistyhorizon2003posted 12 years ago

All I can say is 'Yuletide Greetings to All' wink

26. Ron Montgomery profile image59

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_w-8JKaTohe4/TLC49UXyz5I/AAAAAAAAdkw/qUqHpnAFAI8/s1600/fsm_boop_christmas_card.JPG

27. profile image0
    brotheryochananposted 12 years ago

Christmas
    Something i am very happy not to participate in but i am neither inclined to be all legalistic about it.

Romans 14:5   One person esteems one day above another: another esteems every day alike. Let every person be fully persuaded in his own mind.

I don't think particulars are important so long as we remember to walk in mercy and that we adhere to the principles of The Christian Way and that is to give all year round.

28. aware profile image67
    awareposted 12 years ago

Brenda ty  . the holidays  aren't the same  when the kids have all grown  and the toy trains  no longer run around    colorful wrapped  boxes.
    tends to put me in a   foul mood.

29. Uninvited Writer profile image78
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

In my 55 years of life no one has ever gotten offended if I have said Merry Christmas or demanded I not say it...

1. Reality Bytes profile image74
      Reality Bytesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The same here.  I have never met a Muslim that showed anything but respect and compassion.

I do not believe in Muslim bogeymen.  I do believe in psychotic individuals that are filled with hate, I do not think they are defined by race, religion or sexual identities.

Neither have I.  Although, to be honest, I don't randomly greet people I don't know with "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays".

Those that I do know, I know enough about their lives to know which holiday they celebrate and greet them appropriately.   It's not anything I ever really thought of consciously, but it just seems to be good manners to me.

I'm probably one of the nastiest and most militant atheists here.

If you know I am an atheist and wish me a Merry Xmas I'll ..

Wish you one back.

It's a time of year.  It has zero religious significance to a large number of people.  The tree matters, the presents, the food matters and the religious part doesn't mean squat.   It's exactly the same as "Happy Fourth of July!" to most of us.

Now, "Praise Jesus" will get you an unfriendly look.  But that's the extent of my reaction to that too.   In fact, I'd almost rather you DID say something like that.  It's always good to know who the, umm, excessively religious people, are.  Forewarned, forearmed..

*Grins Evilly* 

Joyous Festivus Pcunix!

And the very same to you,  with extra wrestling, of course.

I do so like the wrestling... I'm serving Jello in the hopes that we can incorporate it into our celebration.

30. Jean Bakula profile image92
    Jean Bakulaposted 12 years ago

A Muslim person never demanded, or even asked me to stop saying Merry Christmas. I think everyone gets too carried away with political correctness. I extend my Ramadan wishes to them, but their holy days are usually solemn, and don't have the party sense that many Christian holidays have. I live in NJ and we have a large Muslim population here. We have everybody here, and in spite of being an overpopulated state, we work it out pretty well, I think. It's the same with Jewish people, their New Year is solemn, they atone for what they have done that may have hurt another. I made a mistake of wishing somebody a "Happy" one once, and had it explained to me. I am not Christian, but have been celebrating Merry Christmas' all my life, and will continue to say it that way.

31. LookingForWalden profile image60
    LookingForWaldenposted 12 years ago

I'm still waiting for footage of Muslims stopping traffic in America to pray on the roads...

32. Ron Montgomery profile image59

http://www.slapupsidethehead.com/wp-content/media/2010/08/weird-carolers.jpg

1. profile image0
      Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol lol

33. profile image0
    Cranfordjsposted 12 years ago

Happy winter solstice for me!

34. Druid Dude profile image60
    Druid Dudeposted 12 years ago

Why not just humor them? Tolerance is a virtue. Intolerance just leads to division, hatred and bloodshed. In the words of Rodney King"Can't we all just get along?"

1. Jean Bakula profile image92
      Jean Bakulaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Words of wisdom, Druid Dude. The Muslim people in the company where my husband works asked if there was a spare room where they could observe their prayer times. The boss was an enlightened and kind person, and asked what they needed. They had no need of anything, but the room was repainted and recarpeted. They have to face Mecca, and  on Ramadan, both of them, it begins and ends with the phase of the moon. Something I know lots about. Times when my family members were sick, or worse, died, many of those Muslim people said special prayers for me. I'll take any I can get, because the intent behind them was good, and I was very touched. Why do people always want to think the worst about each other?

35. Lady_E profile image60
    Lady_Eposted 12 years ago

No Muslim in my area has been against people saying Happy Xmas. I and other Christians also wish them a Happy Ramadan for their Celebrations.

1. Druid Dude profile image60
      Druid Dudeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This all reminds me of Scrooge and Jacob Marley. Too many Griches running around. They just need a nice eggnog spiked w/ rum.

1. Druid Dude profile image60
        Druid Dudeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have a merry christmas hub up. run it every year. I'm not a christian, but I also don't cotton to people being intolerant of others.

36. MelissaBarrett profile image57
    MelissaBarrettposted 12 years ago

You do realize that if you have free speech to offend someone, they also have the same free speech to cuss you out when you do such... They also have the free speech to ask you not to do it again...

And... free speech is only free speech in public areas.  If I own a business, I can tell you to leave if you offend me.  I can tell my employees what or what not they can talk about if they wish to keep their job, I can kick you out of my house if you say something that angers me...

The funny thing is that free speech is only in public areas, but, conversely, there is also separation of church and state in the same areas... cool eh?

Exactly and with separation of church and state, we are losing the rights to free speech.  Cool.  Indeed it is.

No, you aren't.  You just don't have big brother to back you up.  It then becomes on the individual to believe whatever they wish without having it governmentally sanctioned.  America isn't a Christian country... it never was and I pray to God that it never is.  Christianity is just the major religion.  If it can't keep it's followers without relying on laws to force people to follow it, then it needs to either evolve or die.

Exactly why when big brother doesn't back you up, they have limited your freedom of speech. Look at what is happening in Europe.  Hate Crimes are committed by speakers,  and it is also happening in the US.  We are limited by the government as to what we may say; therefore, freedom of speech is is no longer a right.

Wow...  That entire reply made no sense at all.

You understand that you do have the right to talk about your religion all you want in areas where your free speech is protected?  Freedom of speech only means that the Government won't prosecute you for what you say.  It doesn't mean that the Government needs to stand up for your views.

The Government is not limiting what you say.  I'm not sure where the hell you are getting that they are...

However the government can and will limit what it allows itself and it's employees to say.  It has to protect freedom of religion.

And you do realize that when they limit the places that I may speak my religious views, they have prohibited the free exercise of my religion.  And if you say that it is not frre on public property, I would ask you why not?  Hey, anyone can say anything in the privacy of their own home. 

And John Kerry wanted to shut down the Tea Party.  so we do have people who would deny others the right to speak.  You need to study a little more US history.  It has been revised.

WHERE does the government limit your freedom of speech?  Let me know and I will protest them myself.  Seriously, with big signs. 

What the government does is limit it's own speech.  It hasn't done jack to limit yours.

Thanks, I've studied American history.  What exactly do you want to debate about it?

You won't believe it but here it is.  I heard it on ABC NEWS butthis is the first source I found.

http://www.christianpost.com/news/praye … tery-52927

If the allegations are true, it means that a cemetery official overstepped his authority and it is being investigated.  That is not a governmental limiting of your freedom of religion... as a matter of fact the fact that it is under investigation is a sign that those freedoms are being protected.

2. LookingForWalden profile image60

I see accusations by a third party to practices that are being denied by the VA.
                    No facts.

I lol hard when it said this guy went "undercover" to a funeral.

“The Obama administration continues to prevent the word ‘God’ from being used at the funerals of our heroes,” said Rep. John Culberson (R-Texas). “It’s unacceptable and I’m going to put a stop to it as fast as humanly possible.”

There ARE atheists in foxholes, Don. There are also soldiers who are not Christians. John Culberson is trying to force his Christian beliefs on others.

2. LookingForWalden profile image60

Evangelicals aren't happy with just having the same rights as all of us.
                  They need to have it in our government, our schools, tv, radio, everywhere.

You have stated an opinion that you cannot support with documentation.

Just as you have the right to speak your religious views, we have the right to make sure we don't hear them. smile

That is beyond ridiculous.

You have every right to practice your religion.  Nobody will interfere with that and if they ever tried, you'd even find atheists like me standing beside you to shout them down.

YOUR fantasies have no place in OUR government. That's what separation of church and state is about and our founding fathers put it there TO PROTECT YOUR RELIGION.

Exactly the point, Pcunix.  You deny evangelicals a role in government and let everyohne else have a role in government.

It is the same with abortion.  It was illegal for nearly two centuries and now the law has changed.  The Constitution is the same, but the interpretation is different.  Therefore, we now prohibit anyone with the former belief from serving in government.  Why?  Because some people believe they are right and others believe they are wrong.  And you wouldexclude Evangelicals solely on your belief that they have no place in government. 

Can you not see your flaws?

I vote against evangelicals because they can't seem to separate their religion from their jobs.  No one is denying evangelicals a role in the government but the voters.

Abortion is legal because the supreme court ruled that it was.  If pro-lifers don't get elected because of their views then the PUBLIC decides that.

I would take that as a sign that the majority of people don't like your rules.  That's the way democracy works...

I don't like the evangelical viewpoint... I don't want them to create laws when their judgement is hazed by their religious viewpoints.  I don't want to be held to their standards because, quite honestly, I find most of the evangelical viewpoints to be sinful.

Now, how hard would you be screaming for separation of church and state if the majority of lawmakers suddenly converted to Hinduism?

2. Cagsil profile image70
            Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Evangelicals are dangerous, not only to themselves, but to other people, which is why they are NOT allowed any power position.
            Abortion is about women's rights. Get over it.
            Yes, society evolves and continues to evolve toward equality.
            This interpretation?
            Answered in my first statement. They are dangerous to themselves and others.
            No, we can tell the difference between who and what type of people are dangerous. Yes, I realize that the pathetic politicians already in office are just as dangerous, but at least RELIGION is left out it.
            It's not a matter of that, they are dangerous, more so than others.
            Apparently, you cannot see the flaws which are directly pointed out to you. Thus, talking to you will only lead nowhere.

1. Captain Redbeard profile image61
              Captain Redbeardposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don’t want to start any crap I am just curious how abortion can be reconciled as lawful with it directly impedes an Americans first right of three in, "Life, Liberty and The Pursuit Of Happiness"

Like I said, I don't want to start a war over this post just a thought that came to me when reading your post Cagsil, BTW good to have you back!

1. Cagsil profile image70

You're looking at it from the wrong perspective to begin with, which is why you've reached the conclusion you've reached. Not a surprise for someone with a religious frame of mind. It's lawful simply due to the rights of women. However, without having to post a long post explaining....let me just point you in the direction of a hub I wrote that addresses this particular topic, considering I am a rights advocate.

Individual Rights versus General Morality is the name of the hub I wrote that explains. Be my guest to have at it. wink

Thank you, much appreciated and it's good to be back.

That was kind of a cheap shot neutral
                  If I wanted to talk about it in a religion context I would have done so.

I'll read the hub, thanks.

1. Cagsil profile image70

It wasn't meant as a cheap shot, but most people who are against abortion, or better yet against pro-choice are religious folk. It's a fact and there's no two ways about it. It wasn't personal, just truth.

2. profile image0
                Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Are you claiming that a fetus is an American citizen? I think you'd be alone in making such a determination.

Why are you trying to stir the waters? Are your purposely being so obtuse and arduous or accidentally?

2. profile image0
                  Hellazeppposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It would be difficult to get tax collectors to its home.

lol

3. Pcunix profile image89

What?

Excluded from government?  Our government is full of religious fruitcakes!!

4. A Troubled Man profile image58

We can see your flaws. No one can deny an evangelical to serve in government, there are laws for that and we all uphold them.

However, the evangelical MUST keep his religious beliefs out of the government, just like any other elected official must do, whether they are Muslim, whatever...

Are you saying, Don, that an evangelical in government should be following Jesus command to make Disciples while he's doing his job?

37. Kim Cantrell profile image61
    Kim Cantrellposted 12 years ago

Lots of funny replies here!

My take:  I say "Merry Christmas."  Don't like it?  Ignore me.   Don't know how?  Consult my children, they do it very well.

38. LookingForWalden profile image60
    LookingForWaldenposted 12 years ago

Fact. Evangelicals believe humans and dinosaurs walked the earth at the same time.

This is what makes me lose respect for them intellectually.

How, in good conscience, can anyone elect them to office?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)