Travel hubs with incorrect info

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (35 posts)
  1. hush4444 profile image60
    hush4444posted 12 years ago

Do you think it's possible to write a good-quality travel hub about a place you've never visited?   This morning I read a hub about Hawaii, where I live, that recommends a hotel in Waikiki that doesn't exist, unless it was just built yesterday.  It promoted deep-sea fishing for fish that aren't found in Hawaiian waters, along with activities that also do not exist. People save for years to travel to Hawaii - I would hate for them to come to here with expectations based on this hub that simply can't come true.  It's clear that this person is just gleaning info from disreputable places on the internet, if not just inventing the information all together.  Do you think that you should at least visit a location before writing a hub, or can you do a quality hub if your information is sound?

1. Aficionada profile image79
      Aficionadaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm not sure how to answer the specific question you've asked, but I do think that you should flag that Hub for review.

hush4444posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I will flag it - it seems to be a pattern with this author.

2. JamaGenee profile image78
        JamaGeneeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, that hub (and any others like it) should definitely be flagged for review! Whenever I write hubs about places I've been, I'm careful to mention when I was there and add links to sites with current information so that it's clear things may have changed in the interim.

That's a good idea, JamaGenee, to include links to keep the content fresh.  It shows you really care about your readers.

2. lobobrandon profile image88
      lobobrandonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I never write about places I didn't visit neither do I write anything I don't already know about. Just as wildy says I never even write reviews about things i don't use because it will spoil the readers life tongue

That's the key, actually caring about the reader's life!

2. Xenonlit profile image58
        Xenonlitposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for saying this. I wrote a slew of neighborhood articles for a renter's magazine earlier this year. The process made me think about the people who would be making housing decisions based on those articles.

3. recommend1 profile image60
      recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Inaccurate information in hubs is unavoidable.  The way to deal with it is to put the information you feel strongly enough to disagree with in the comments.  I would say you have little or no  right to 'flag' for content.  If we did I would be too busy flagging the ridiculous nonsense written about religion, misleading product hubs, all the medical hubs, most health advice, and certainly more than half of the parenting and family hubs.

90% of hubs are written about subjects that have been researched, almost no hubs are written by actual  'experts'.  The only times you might be accurate and true is when writing about your location, and even then you can make mistakes, errors or bad memory.  I have just written a series of articles (not hubs) about Chinese painting, fan painting, and travel around China among other subjects that I have researched mainly.  Even the travel around China are researched, even though I live here and have been to a huge number of different places all over the country several times I have still written about locations I have not visited.  If I make a mistake, or the tour information is out of date I would expect someone who knows this, and wants to say so,  to leave a comment for a correction not flag my stuff.

I would never flag a hub if I thought the person made simple errors or the information is out of date.  My memory isn't so great either.  But this hub is just stuffed with keywords and even photos that don't match the information.

1. recommend1 profile image60
          recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I can understand your point completely, and I am very much against spinning bad information on the internet in general, but. 

Complaining about the bad content is a matter of censorship and can be likened to complaints about a poorly descriptive product hub, of which there are tons on hubpages, all written by 'professional' hub writers and sometimes featuring as 'best' hubs. The writers of these hubs shave clearly never used the product they espouse and there are often dozens of the same hub slightly reworded to fit a different product.

And what about those hubs with misleading medical advice that are actually dangerous,  and keep-fit hubs from people who went to the gym once ?  And most recipes have never seen the writers cooker it would seem from the elementary mistakes in either quantity or method.

I am not arguing against flagging the poor quality place-spinning hubs   just pointing out that  many of the hubs here would qualify for the same treatment - and there is no requirement for accuracy or truth when publishing,  and of course there should be.

You're right, recommend1, once we starting flagging all the incorrect info we'd never know where to stop.  I've wondered the same thing about those misleading product and recipe hubs - do people see something redeeming in them that I just don't see?  Maybe we can just hope for some kind of karma that allows writers with integrity to rise to the top.

2. JamaGenee profile image78
          JamaGeneeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have NO problem flagging hubs that are blatantly keyword-heavy and obviously only written to generate traffic the author wouldn't get any other way due to lack of imagination and/or poor writing skills. 

But the original question was about travel hubs that contain totally inaccurate information...i.e. hotels that are no longer open, tourist attractions that closed years ago, etc.  Whenever I come across such hubs and know firsthand the information is inaccurate, I'll say so in a comment.  That way both the author and future readers are aware it's inaccurate. Why anyone would plan a trip based on information in a hub without verifying the accuracy of it before leaving home is beyond me.

4. Shinkicker profile image52
      Shinkickerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You should certainly have visited a place if you are going to write a hub about it. It makes a better article anyway as you can imbue it with a personal touch.

Of course sometimes information can go out of date in which case the hubber should appreciate feedback to update the information.

I agree, Shinkicker, I can't imagine writing about a place I've never visited - I think you would miss the local color.  I know I would appreciate knowing about any info that might need updating.

2. wilderness profile image94
    wildernessposted 12 years ago

I won't write a travel hub about somewhere I haven't been any more than I would "review" a product I haven't used.

This kind of thing is what we see when one writes for money rather than to help the visitor.

I agree - it's basically just lying, nothing more.

3. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 12 years ago

Since everyone is an expert on the Internet, the reader has to decide which information is valid.  As far as the writing goes, a skilled travel writer will take the reader there. When I travel, I only write about the places I've been to and take my own photographs.  My legal name is on my Hubs, so I don't play "let's pretend" like the writer you mentioned.  If you have pride in your work, you don't play your readers when it comes to travel writing or any Hub that gives research information.  Since you found fault with this Hub, I hope you flagged the writer.  Us Mainlanders would never know.

Arlene, that's why your hubs are so great - your writing is genuine and heart-felt.

4. brittanytodd profile image87
    brittanytoddposted 12 years ago

Yeah, you should definitely flag this hub.  They were obviously trying to gain traffic by posting a hub about Hawaiian vacations without knowing anything about our home.  If you explain it to the HP team, I'm sure they would make the writer revise it.

My mother-in-law read some hubs about health (she's a midwife) and said that there were some that said some things that were just untrue.  She wanted to get an account simply to clarify for readers that really needed the correct information.  It's a bummer that in order to make sure the content on your hubs is accurate, we would have to get them approved first by an expert, but it is nice that we have the option to flag and explain why these hubs are not truthful.

1. Suki C profile image67
      Suki Cposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree - I have only written about places and topics that I actually know about.  In some matters - especially regarding health  - it could be downright dangerous to offer wrong information.

There are still people out there who look to the internet for advice believing that everything they read there is the truth!

2. hush4444 profile image60

The health misinformation scares me more than anything, Brittany and Suki.  It's one thing to ruin a vacation, but it's much worse to publish inaccurate, if not dangerous, health advice just to make money.

1. brittanytodd profile image87
        brittanytoddposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's what I am concerned about.  But how would we moderate this without making it difficult to publish for honest authors?  I think we all need to keep hopping hubs and flagging the ones that we know have misinformation.  I wish I knew moe about health so I could identify those that may be harmful to readers.

5. Cassie Smith profile image60
    Cassie Smithposted 12 years ago

Actually hush444, since you have more accurate information, you should mention it in the comment section.  I've changed my hub when someone in the comment section said there was an error and I've changed it after I verified it.  Updated information in the comment section makes a hub more helpful.

1. tirelesstraveler profile image59
      tirelesstravelerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Great question.  If there is an error you can always preface a comment with," delete this hub after reading".(For editing purpose only).
      Incorrect information such as non existing hotels should be flagged.  When you flag a hub you can go into detail, so the moderators know the problem.

2. hush4444 profile image60

That's what I was thinking, Cassie Smith and tirelesstraveler - I should  put the corrections in the comments and then say "delete after reading".  Then, if the changes aren't made, just flag the hub.

6. rebekahELLE profile image86
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

I've read hubs where it was clearly evident the writer had never visited the locations.  As you have mentioned, the information was old, outdated or probably taken from a travel guide or article. They're usually nothing but facts and those kind of articles can be read anywhere online.

On the other hand, I've read hubs by one particular hubber about places all over the world, in which he has not traveled, and they are fabulous, well researched, interesting, photo rich hubs.

That's what I was wondering, rebekahELLE, if an author could write a good travel hub about a place he or she hasn't visited.  I suppose if someone really did indepth research from reputable sites and included a lot of good photos, that it would be possible.  I guess it all boils down to the integrity of the author - if they truly care, they will do a good job.

7. kayecandles profile image59
    kayecandlesposted 12 years ago

what hub was it? I lived in Hawaii for several years on Oahu and miss it greatly.
    The only hotels we stayed at in Waikiki were the Hilton Hawaiian Village 2x's, and the Marriott. Both were great, and I had a catered dinner at the Hale Koa which is really awesome.

I hate to say the name of the hub since that will generate more traffic.  It's one of those "All-inclusive, low-cost, family friendly, vacations in (fill in the blank) type hubs.  I notice the author has written two more similar hubs, one about resorts in Europe and one about resorts in Mexico, using the same pictures!  Hope you get to visit again soon, kayecandles.

8. kayecandles profile image59
    kayecandlesposted 12 years ago

wow, that is sad. Because people will read that and not know the author has written those hubs without even visiting. Yea, you should probably flag them. I wonder how accurate the other two hubs are.

9. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 12 years ago

hush:  Thank you for mentioning the problem you had with this Hubber.  As readers, we are reminded to check our sources when it comes to travel and other information found on the Internet.  As a writer, it makes you think about the writing.  I take it back.  You can, as a writer, skillfully write about a place you've never been to, but you have to have excellent research and resources to back what you write.  Unfortunately, the writer you mentioned was writing fiction!  If you decide to go that route with the writing, at least give your readers the best information possible.  That's why it's always up to the reader to decide if the information holds.  If it's true.  And living in Hawaii, you knew this writer's work (sorry!) didn't hold water.

Too funny, Arlene!  They certainly didn't hold water, or poi for that matter!

10. Richieb799 profile image74
    Richieb799posted 12 years ago

I made a travel hub before I went to Thailand but when I got back I made a better one which had 3 videos of tourist attractions I saw. I think hubs made from experience are much better!

I think so too, Richieb799, especially when you visit a country that's very different from your own.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)