Do you submit your hubs more than once to the same social site?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (19 posts)
  1. profile image0
    kelleywardposted 12 years ago

Just wondering if it is spamming to submit your hubs to the same social networking sites more than once? For example, if you wait a week or so between and you are trying to get your hub more traffic can you submit it again to Twitter or Facebook? Or is this a bad idea. Also if so then how long should you wait in between submissions?

2. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 12 years ago

I'm not convinced that social sharing does anything for traffic.

Like to hear from some successful top Hubbers as to whether they even bother with it.

1. SimeyC profile image88
      SimeyCposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've had the occasional bit of luck with Reddit - but it's a day or two boost only. The only way I get decent traffic from any social media is when someone else shares my hubpages on Facebook - that usually means it's a good article and people are truly interested.

About the only site where I get half decent traffic (and I mean a few views a day) is Redgage - but overall I get less than 1% of my traffic from social media.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
        Mark Ewbieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks.  I think that confirms my suspicions.

What you say about writing something good enough to be shared by OTHER people is important I think.

3. Pearldiver profile image66
    Pearldiverposted 12 years ago

I don't even submit my works to social networks (yet).. I am not convinced (yet) that serious benefits to my objectives can be derived from the exercise, unless I specifically target regional groups and write for those readers.

I may well be completely wrong.. but still, in the absence of using social media sites, my traffic has still been received from 180 countries + my own! That only leaves 12 countries in the world that I should perhaps target through social networking... do they have FB in North Korea?  smile

4. web-tools profile image40
    web-toolsposted 12 years ago

No, I submit it once in social networking sites. We should not submit our hub in any other place. Google or any other search engine crawler does not like that.

5. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

I don't submit my Hubs to any social sites.  Oh - a rare exception:  Around Groundhog Day I did post a link to a Hub about that so I'd have something to ad to my otherwise empty, and unused, pages on Google+ and Facebook.  I do post links to my Hubs on any number of blogs(which aren't even fully developed as blogs yet), but - trust me - those blogs aren't in any position to be sending traffic anywhere.  lol

1. profile image0
      kelleywardposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Lisa then how do you get traffic ? I know you have great quality hubs and I'm sure that is how but don't you have to get noticed first before google ranks you High?

1. Greekgeek profile image77
        Greekgeekposted 12 years agoin reply to this

kelley, there's two different ways to get traffic. One is through social sites, which work by word of mouth, and you'll get fans or critics depending on how you participate and how much people like what you share. The other is search engine optimization, which is based on your webpage being on-topic, focused, linking TO good pages about your topic and getting relevant links FROM other pages about your topic.

Until recently, search engines  didn't consider links shared on social sites at all. For one thing, social sites tend to hide that information from search engine spiders. For another thing, even now that search engines are beginning to count some links shared on social sites (shares on Google Plus, for example), they are looking for significant social recommendations, not just self-promotion. So they look for links shared by "authority" figures such as, oh, a well-known sports commentator, a senator, an industry expert, or a highly-followed celebrity. The number of followers a person has amassed may count. Or, the number of times their Tweets, shares, etc are picked up and re-shared by others may count. Most of us don't count in the eyes of search engines unless one of our Tweets or social shares goes viral and gets picked up by a lot of people.

So I don't use social media to promote my stuff to search engines, but to people, and I only do that in communities where I really am active. (There's nothing Reddit and other social communities hate more than "spammers," visitors who drop by to self-promote who don't participate in the social community).  I share many of my articles on Twitter, but I try to make sure I only share stuff that people really will want to read, and I share other things I find interesting, too. The more you establish a reputation for making interesting comments or sharing interesting things, the more people are likely to follow you. If you tend to share things related to one particular niche (cooking, for example), you're likely attract followers interested in that niche.

How do search engines find new pages, if not through social media? The same way they did before social media caught on: through links from webpages they already know about. The chief advantage of an article site like Hubpages (or a blog) is that once it's established as a site that frequently adds new content, search engines keep coming back. When you post a new hub, your keywords cause that hub to show in the "related" box of other hubs sharing that keyword. The new hub appears on your profile at the top, and on the category pages, including the "latest" column. Search engines can and will find any one of those links and follow them to your new hub.

But that's just to get a page discovered. And a page will get discovered by Google sooner or later, unless you hide it very, very deeply on a site that doesn't have a filing system like Hubpages'.  So rather than worry about getting my page found,  my goal is to help my page rank well for particular searches so it'll get traffic.  For that, I use on-page search engine optimization, which just means wriiting that's focused, relevant, specific, and on-topic.  I link to excellent resources related to my topic. I do a few preliminary Google searches to discover what words and phrases people tend to use when talking about my topic, and I try to use those words and phrases.  I brainstorm what kinds of questions people might ask, related to my topic, and if it fits what I'm writing about, I address those questions.

1. Glenn Stok profile image96
          Glenn Stokposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Greekgeek, Very well said. You wrote a great explanation and it should be in the learning center as it is very helpful. 

On that last point you made, about brainstorming questions people might ask... I go back to my published Hubs from time to time and check to see what people are asking when a search engine refers them to my Hub (available under the stats tab). Then I add a section to my Hub to address the most common questions if they are well related to the topic.

1. Greekgeek profile image77
            Greekgeekposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Glenn-- yes, yes, yes! That's one of my favorite methods. Search traffic data is the biggest resource we have: it shows us which things we're babbling about that other people actually care about. smile

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
          Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I know this is an old thread but I only just stumbled across this post by Greekgeek, and it's so good, it 's worth a bump.

Maybe you should make it into a Hub, GG!

6. savanahl profile image67
    savanahlposted 12 years ago

I submit some of my hubs to Twitter, which is linked to my Facebook and I do get traffic from there but I try to submit relevant hubs. My twitter followers are mainly poets and writers so I'll submit poems. My Facebook friends are more family oriented so I'll share what's more relevant there. I also share on StumbleUpon and have had the most success there.

To answer your question though, I only share once.

7. livewithrichard profile image73
    livewithrichardposted 12 years ago

If you have a good social network then posting a link can be very favorable to boosting your traffic.  Of course writing good content that people feel obligated to share is optimal, but if you are only talking about Facebook and Twitter then you have to do more than just post the link.  You have to create a discussion and then do a call to action. 

In the past 3 weeks I have been conducting an experiment and documenting the success on my latest hub on how to revise a hub.  In this experiment, I have taken my worst producing and lowest scored hub and brought it back to productive levels.  The hub, published in October of 09' had only produced 94 visits. The hub has had 264 visits since I started the experiment and most of that traffic from outside of HP by way of my social networks. 

I asked my network questions related to the topic then asked if the questions were answered properly in the link provided.  It was a the call to action that drove the traffic. Without the call to action, the link would most likely have been glanced over and then ignored.

1. profile image0

That's a creative way to get more traffic. I'm very new to this and with everything I've heard and read so far it seems to me that people will get more involved in reading what I have to say if I can find a way to include them first. Thanks for the helpful information livewithrichard and savanahl

8. Garrett Mickley profile image78
    Garrett Mickleyposted 12 years ago

I do after a while but I dont make it an effort. My traffic comes from the Goog

9. Glenn Stok profile image96
    Glenn Stokposted 12 years ago

Each time I publish a new Hub I submit it once on Twitter.  This is actually repeated on my Amazon profile since I have a twitter feed there. So it gets extra exposure anyway, even though I just submit it once.

10. CWanamaker profile image94
    CWanamakerposted 12 years ago

I have posted the same link on Twitter a few times using different text and tags.  I usually wait a month or two before tweeting something again though.

1. profile image0

Thanks Garret, Glenn, and CWanamaker!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)