Jumping in to the 30 hubs in 30 days challenge

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (47 posts)
  1. savingkathy profile image92
    savingkathyposted 12 years ago

Well, I've decided to take the plunge and do the 30 hubs in 30 days challenge. I have a list of hub ideas ready to go, and even a few hubs started that I seem to be hesitating to finish and actually publish. I figure this is the push I need to get going and build my hub portfolio.

I'm nervous just typing this... Is this normal?

1. lobobrandon profile image89
      lobobrandonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh you'll do it smile don't worry and it's important that you write high quality hubs so as long as u do that its fine. Getting 30 of them out would be awesome.

2. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 12 years ago

I just want to wish you luck. A bit of anxiety only shows your motivation.

3. savingkathy profile image92
    savingkathyposted 12 years ago

Thank you for your support. It means a lot!

1. profile image0
      Website Examinerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You are welcome. I'll be around.

4. CastleQueen profile image61
    CastleQueenposted 12 years ago

Im in too... I think it'll be a fun way to get started since I'm new..

5. taylord08 profile image60
    taylord08posted 12 years ago

Okay, I am going to take the plunge. I belive in myself and all of you. Lets do this.

6. profile image0
    Catzgendronposted 12 years ago

Ok count me in .. 30 in 30 here goes ...

7. profile image0

To those who made recent announcements to join the challenge: Best of luck to you!

8. TheMagician profile image88
    TheMagicianposted 12 years ago

Good luck to all of you! It's pretty intense!
    Just try not to drive yourselves mad wink

9. Millionaire Tips profile image90
    Millionaire Tipsposted 12 years ago

Go for it! You can do it.

10. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

I would just like to throw in a word of caution.

All our subdomains are new and at risk of being sandboxed because of the sheer amount of links that appear from Hubpages. You get  minimum of six with each hub, and that is the very minimum, in the 'related hubs' section, not forgetting the feeds your tags go to etc.
    Be very careful about putting a lot of hubs up in short space of time until your subdomain is a year old.

I am in the sandbox and have been for over 6 months, and there are a few us on Hubpages in the same boat.

I published 30 hubs in the month before I was sandboxed.

1. profile image0

Thanks, Izzy. Hence, do you think that the challenge should be reconsidered? Supposedly, new Hubbers are most likely to join.

1. IzzyM profile image86
        IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

WE, I just sat and wrote a hub tonight about the Google sandbox in response to a question, and as I was writing it, I realized that I had indeed published 30 hubs between going over to subdomains and being sandboxed 3/4 weeks later.

My hub isn't published as I need to go find photos etc to finish it off,although it could be published now without them (and add them in).

The sandbox is laid on new domains or subdomains where Google suspects they may be created by spammers.

It knows they are spammers because of the number of backlinks they go out and get themselves right away - they are chasing keywords to get to the top of the ranking as quickly as possible before Google notices and de-indexes them. (this was a few years ago, where they made a fortune by getting to the top of the serps)

They used to just start a new site right away, but now they can't because Google created the sandbox effect (though they can buy an existng domain).

It looks at backlinks, inbound links.

I am guessing this may be related to why my site was sandboxed, but it is a guess.

I guess it is open to discussion, because you are right newbies will always join with new subdomains and so the future of the 30 day challenge needs looked at.

1. Anamika S profile image67
          Anamika Sposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't think  writing a Hub a day would lead your domain to be sandboxed. The reasons could be different.

1. IzzyM profile image86

It is interesting to note Cardelean's comment above about how she seems to get the 'sandbox effect' when she cranks a few hubs out.

I wrote a huge amount of hubs continually over a long period of time, then slowed down considerably after Panda, then increased the rate again before I got sandboxed.

Several people, earlier in the sandbox period that I have experienced, said that their sandbox was lifted when they unpublished their last few hubs.

This suggest there is a link.

I think it is also worth pointing out that I was cranking them out in my new subdomain, when it sank into a depression.

I just looked at it, scratched my head, and couldn't figure out why. I thought maybe it was to do with Amazon capsules, so I went through every hub (I had 60 odds), checked their total word count against their number of Amazon links, and it worked out at less than 1% of the total. HP recommends a maximum of 2% (1 Amazon link per 50 words), so I guess it wasn't that.

So I started yet more subdomains, to experiment.

My idea was to put Amazon and/or eBay on some subdomains, but not on others, and see what happened.

I'm still working on that, BUT while I was working on them, I left the second subdomain alone, and yesterday its traffic quadrupled.

So, yes I think there is a link between number of hubs churned out, and the sandbox.

2. cardelean profile image87
        cardeleanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This is really interesting because I noticed that the more consistent that I am with publishing my hubs (say 5-8/mo.) then I seem to be ok.  It's when I start to have an increase in the number of hubs that I publish (for example when I have breaks from work I publish more) that I seem to be "hit."  I had wondered if there was some sort of connection there but couldn't really tell since I'm still "relatively new."  I was hit this summer when I'm off for summer break and then I had to slow down for the start of the school year and then did a big push in October and was hit hard then.  Definitely something to think about.  I really do wonder if has something to do with the number of hubs that are cranked out, meaning if you veer greatly from what you typically publish.

1. profile image0

If this were true in general, then that would be rather anti-creative.

1. cardelean profile image87

You're right it would.  I just thought it was a little strange the pattern that I was noticing.  My thoughts were that maybe google was viewing it as too much too fast and that they were automatically deeming it as "trash" because of the quantity without really looking at it.  We know that they really aren't looking at the quality of much of what they deem trash.

1. profile image0

This is interesting, and hopefully the answer will be provided. I was wondering if it had to do with your followers having to adjust their alarm clocks?

I hope that's not it!  smile

1. profile image0

I'm sure it's not, in your case. I get mostly local views, and have seen such an effect if I publish too much in close succession. Don't blame them, really.

I do know what you mean and have seen that happen too.  But this was definitely google traffic that I saw plunge.  It was a spike and then a drop to almost nothing just as some others have mentioned.  Once was in August and then again in October.  I backed off publishing as aggressively as I had been and now my google views are better than they have ever been.  Who knows?  I feel like it's such a crap shoot most of the time.

2. CastleQueen profile image61
      CastleQueenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ohhhh Thanks for the info... What is a good number for a max per month ?

1. profile image0

No disrespect to Izzy intended. But Castle Queen, this is a question so hot that maybe only management can give an authoritative answer. They still support this challenge, or the forum would no longer exist. Everyone can of course have an opinion.

1. Randy Godwin profile image61
          Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No disrespect to you either WE, but Cagsil just received a 3 month ban for self promotion while having the same type of forum thread he had used before for his Ladies of HubPages, or something like that, hub!  Things seem to change without anyone knowing it lately. 

I suppose the 30 day challenge requires one to place their own hub links on the forum thread?  How is this not self promotion? I usually try to challenge others to write a Christmas story during the holidays, but now it may be considered self-promotion also.  Who knows anymore?  yikes

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/6186555.jpg

1. profile image0

Interesting post, Randy Godwin.

1. Randy Godwin profile image61
              Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No problem, WE!  It does show how little we actually know about this site these days.  You need to do this!  Hey, you can't do that anymore, get rid of it!  Sure, go right ahead, it sounds like a great idea!  Uh, we forgot to tell you, but this is against the TOS now.  Why?  Because the Big G doesn't want this anymore.  Try this!  lollol

Who can keep up with it?  smile  I think we need a Hublic Relations staffer to keep us filled in on all of the changes.  smile

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/6186555.jpg

3. Millionaire Tips profile image90
      Millionaire Tipsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That is interesting, I didn't know that sandboxing for publishing new hubs could be an issue.

I did the 30/30 as soon as I joined and then the 100/30 right after that.  I am publishing much slower now but was planning to get back into it.  Maybe the key is to write hubs that are long enough and provide quality content. 

Quality is much more important than quantity after all.

1. IzzyM profile image86

Are you saying I don't write quality hubs?

4. Richieb799 profile image74
      Richieb799posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I still haven't found out how people are getting the feed at the bottom of their hubs?  ?:S

1. IzzyM profile image86
        1. Richieb799 profile image74
          Richieb799posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Iz, I mentioned you in my last but one hub! :]

1. IzzyM profile image86

So you did! No live link? lol

11. profile image0

Izzy, all I can say is thank you for raising this issue and for explaining so well!

12. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

Hey MT don't answer that last question, I was kidding!

It might not be just the new hubs, it might also be that I came with a huge number of links from my original Hubpages account. I don't know, but it is to do with incoming links, the sandbox, that is.

13. Anamika S profile image67
    Anamika Sposted 12 years ago

There are a bunch of Hubbers on Facebook including me who are starting the challenge on March 1st. Maybe being in a group can help to keep you motivated to finish the challenge successfully and also find partners to promote your content.

1. profile image0
      Catzgendronposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Is this for the contest?  How does that work? Does anyone know how hubs get a number once we publish them?

1. profile image0

Off topic. Welcome to HubPages.

http://hubpages.com/faq/#hubscore

1. profile image0
          Catzgendronposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank You very much ... I am really enjoying this

14. adrienne2 profile image66
    adrienne2posted 12 years ago

hi savingkaty, Good luck as you do the 30/30 it is a very rewarding challegne.  I did some time ago.  I do plan to do it again.  It will certainly stretch.

15. taylord08 profile image60
    taylord08posted 12 years ago

I did my firt of 30, hope i can keep up.

1. profile image0

Slow down. Spelling errors in the title of your hubs are not helpful to your success.

Apart from that: Good luck!

1. taylord08 profile image60
        taylord08posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Gracias

1. profile image0

You are always welcome!

16. urmilashukla23 profile image65
    urmilashukla23posted 12 years ago

Good luck to everyone who are participating in March!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)