How "badly" is it counted against you to leave a broken link?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (21 posts)
  1. DzyMsLizzy profile image87
    DzyMsLizzyposted 12 years ago

I just found a brand-new broken link warning on one of my older hubs.

It is a poem, and it was published BEFORE all the changes that made extra white-space formatting a problem  (discussed in a different forum post).

If I go in to remove the bad link, all my formatting will be lost to the new system.

Can I just ignore the broken link, then?

2. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 12 years ago

I don't think the big 'G' likes broken links either hmm might lose 'crawling' and indexing priviliges? yikes just close it as a hyperlink wink

DzyMsLizzyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's what I mean--if I go into edit mode to "lose" the hyperlink, I'll also lose all my careful formatting.

It's ONE link on an old poem..how much "G" damage can it really cause?

3. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

I know that as a reader I get very annoyed with links that don't work.

4. Dame Scribe profile image57

Hmm, maybe if you un-link the link, hope I'm making sense lol tongue smile and delete each letter - sort of re-format as you go? would that help? smile

5. Michael Willis profile image67
    Michael Willisposted 12 years ago

You might try to find a similar poem link you would like to put in place of the bad link. If not, is there something you could add in a Text capsule to fill the space or an image?
    I understand how deleting a capsule can change the formatting. I have had to make a few adjustments before.
    Just a thought!

6. DzyMsLizzy profile image87

Thanks for all the suggestions, folks.

The entire poem is in a single capsule.  This was one of my early pieces here, before I really learned how to use the capsules.

I've tried in the past--the second you open the capsule to edit, ALL the formatting slams over to the left margin, and you cannot get it back!

So, trying to remove any link, a letter at a time or otherwise, will still not preserve my white-space placements.

I've been told about using the < pre > and < /pre > (minus the spaces, of course) tags, but they only work when HP has put them in--it won't accept them from me--it says the html has to be "cleaned up."  and it removes them.  and the "pre" tags do not appear in the list of accepted tags in the html editing mode.    ...  sigh... mad

Well, it's an older poem, with only a 53 rank..and the most recent traffic was way back on.... --who knows?  It was published 5-10-10, and has only had 24 visits and a single comment.

1. Michael Willis profile image67
      Michael Willisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh, was the link in the poem? That would cause the words to format back to the left when you edit.
      I was thinking you meant a link in a separate capsule you set to the right.

nope--this was back from the old "suggest links" tool... and it won't even delete them if you say "stop suggesting"   Oh, well,  ::: sigh :::

7. Richieb799 profile image73
    Richieb799posted 12 years ago

Yes I have found it affects your sub domain as a whole, although it doesn't help when the HP detector keeps pointing out links that aren't broken!

Right--and I've had that happen more than once!

8. DzyMsLizzy profile image87

You know what?  I've tried EVERYTHING I could think of, including a copy/paste into MS Word, where I REMOVED ALL of the hyperlink formatting, saved it, closed Word, then re-opened it, copied, and pasted it back into a NEW HP capsule, and guess what??
    The #$#@$*&(#$%($ hyperlink formatting bounced right back, exactly where it was.  IN the meantime, also, of course, LOOSING my formatting, as I knew it would.

I tried 3 different times to go into the html and add the "< pre > tags, both with the opening AND closing tag, and also with ONLY the opening tag, (as the closing tag was not listed in the 'allowable' ones...)..

And, gee--guess what---naturally, it was not accepted, and the html was "cleaned up" to remove it... again, removing my formatting.

I was left with but  a single option, and that was to simply delete the entire hub!  BAH!

1. sofs profile image77
      sofsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

But why would you do that?  just open the hub on edit mode click on the link and click on the broken chain and you are done..
      Then highlight the word and click on the chain and paste the url you want to paste... it is simple ...and I am baffled ...maybe I did not understand this discussion at all . Then I am sorry to have barged in..

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I thought the same thing.. I don't see how it would change the format by breaking the link. hmm

It is not "breaking the link" that destroys the formatting--it is OPENING THE CAPSULE to do the editing!!!

IN poetry, many times, there is visual "play" with white space.  As the poem stood, it was formattted the way I wanted it with the extra indents.

Upon opening the capsule into 'edit' mode, so the links CAN be deleted/changed, etc.  ALL of those extra indents and formatting are lost.

HP changed something in the background since the time the poem was originally published, and thoose extra indents canNOT be retrieved!  Everything gets slammed against the left-hand margin, whether you want it there or not.   
          THAT is the issue that is causing "all this discussion"

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image87

sofs--I am not trying to MAKE  a link, I am trying to UNdo a link WITHOUT losing my special formatting with extra indents.  (a.k.a. additional white space)  I know how to create/undo links.
          That, in and of itself, is not the issue.  The issue (as I stated in my opening post) was whether or not just ignoring the broken link warning on a single, older poem with virtually no traffic would damage my ratings or other traffic....because I KNEW that trying to edit out the broken link would destroy my careful formatting.

1. sofs profile image77
          sofsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, as the others said ignoring the broken link does harm you... but maybe I do not understand your special formatting.. .. and how opening a capsule changes it.. Looks like RedElf has some solution to your problem.

9. RedElf profile image90
    RedElfposted 12 years ago

Would the paragraph/block quote thingy help at all - I use it to bump things over, and it does a reasonably adequate job.
    I do know what you mean though, I have had the same problem with older poetry that had the formatting destroyed as soon as I opened the capsule to do whatever. - too bad.

Hi, RedElf--thanks for the suggestion.  Unfortunately, no the block quote does not help, because I do weird line breaks...sometimes with each line progressing across the page from the previous line by 20 or more spaces, and the subsequent lines also moved over by the same proportion.  I have no way to put a link to illustrate, without having it snipped out for "self-promotion."  But if you want to see what I mean, you can look up my poetry section, and check out the older ones..that only have a score in the low 50's, and you'll see what it is I'm trying to explain.

I'll try it here
                        and see if the same left-margin
                                                                          is enforced.

If you see above 3 lines of type...steadily moving right, then that is what it is I am trying to maintain...and lose the moment I open a capsule to edit, and cannot get it back.

10. Dame Scribe profile image57

Not sure this is any help tongue when I make lists and use the indent in a WP program then copy n paste to Notepad - wierd - but all spaces used is saved and copied safely to the HP text capsule. Just a idea to try smile

Hmmm..so create in MS Word; copy/paste to Notepad, then copy/paste into HP capsules????
      Wow.. seems quite roundabout, but certainly worth a try.  Thanks for the tip.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)