In a slight rut.

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (21 posts)
  1. jenniferrpovey profile image76
    jenniferrpoveyposted 12 years ago

I've now been averaging fifty to sixty views a day across all of my hubs for over a month. The overall trend is leveling out. Needless to say, this isn't the performance I would like.

Any thoughts on what I might be doing wrong? I'm aware that it might be lack of videos (I don't like using other people's stuff and lack the skill and in some cases the logistical opportunity to make my own). I also don't really backlink because it strikes me as grey hat. Is that what I have to do or is there something else I could work on? I know it's not the quality of my writing itself that's at issue here.

I've been here for five months and been active for about three and a half, posting about five hubs a week.

1. gregas profile image81
      gregasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You have to figure, there are more new hubbers every day giving readers more to choose from. I believe the competition to draw readers is getting stiffer. You probably aren't doing abything wrong. Greg

1. gregas profile image81
        gregasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

May I also suggest increasing how many are following you. Your followers get e-mails every time you publish a hub. The more followers you have, the more reads you should get. Greg

2. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I would add videos from youtube where they are relevant. People like videos, and they can kept keep readers on a page for longer.

I know what you mean about not wanting to add them because 'you don't like using other people's stuff' but people actually want their videos to be shared, that's why they upload in the first place.

Your subject is very specialized, but people genuinely interested in what you are writing about will read every word, and probably watch the videos too.

This is turn will keep people on the page longer, and Google may well move you up in the serps because of it (in their eyes, if people are stopping on a site for a while, it must be because it is good).

2. jenniferrpovey profile image76

I'm ignoring internal traffic and followers for the most part. Besides, I can't control people following me. They will if they like me, they won't if they don't.

Internal traffic is insignificant once you start getting real traffic, although it can make things look better when a new hub is posted.

3. Will Apse profile image87
    Will Apseposted 12 years ago

One problem with the kind of evergreen content page that you are writing is just how long it takes to get traffic. It could be two or three years before your pages make their way to the top of Google- assuming they are actually better than what is out there already.

If you want quick traffic you will need to be savvy to the kinds of things your target audience (horse lovers in your case, it seems) are searching for. You will also need to learn to spot gaps in what the established sites are covering.

In other words, it is not always enough to be knowledgeable about a subject. You need to be knowledgeable about your audience, your competition, the zeitgeist and what works on a site like hubpages and what does not.

Best of luck with all that.

4. jenniferrpovey profile image76

If they're just maturing slowly, that's fine...the problem is I'm adding hubs but still seeing the same amount of traffic.

I'll think about it on the videos. Like I said, I am definitely not comfortable with using anything I didn't make myself.

This is more me thinking 'why am I leveling out while I keep adding new contact' and a feeling that that equates to a traffic *decline* rather than stability.

1. IzzyM profile image87

You might also be experiencing the 'sandbox effect' from Google, in which case there seems to be nothing you can do except keep writing quality hubs and wait for it to lift.
      Things have been very strange around here since we moved to subdomains last summer, because Google sees each subdomain as a brand new site.

5. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 12 years ago

Hi Jennifer.  I have pretty much stopped moaning about my traffic, but this might cheer you up. Or at least make you feel less alone in wondering where the traffic is.

I have 230 hubs.  Been here fifteen months, I think, stopped checking.

Had my best ever traffic day yesterday, just over 200 hundred views.  Probably an anomaly, my average is 100 - 150.

Income wise, I am still aiming for a dollar a day.

I try not to think about it.

6. jenniferrpovey profile image76

I joined quite a bit after the subdomain switch.

I don't think so. For a couple of months I was getting nothing from Google. Then it became a trickle. I don't think it's the sandbox. It might be new site-itis, but not the sandbox. I had a slow but steady upward trend...very slow, but I'm expecting that.

Maybe I need to write some more non horse related hubs?

1. IzzyM profile image87

The sandbox only hits new domains or subdomains. HP changed to subdomains before you joined, as you say, but your subdomain is brand new starting from your join date.
      So it could be the sandbox. Not saying it is, just that it could be, the point being that you just need to keep at it, keep writing new content (I know that is difficult when you are not seeing results) and one day your traffic will suddenly pour in. No steps and stages, it'll suddenly increase maybe 4-fold like it just did on my other account which is ages with yours.
      You are a good writer, and I see you know about SEO from the way you have written your hubs.

7. K9keystrokes profile image82
    K9keystrokesposted 12 years ago

Hi Jennifer, I went over and checked out a couple of your hubs. You have a ton of knowledge in your area. One thing I did notice is that you do NOT have your hubs "grouped" together. This can help add a linking aspect to your work, which can assist in better traffic, because one hub is feeding off of another.
    Other helpful tools are provided by HubPages like Poll capsules, Quiz capsules, Tables, and even video capsules. By adding these to your work, you increase your worth to Google (as well as readers). Possibly adding helpful links (non commercial if you prefer) to great horse organizations, vets, and anything you find helpful in your field. If you don't wish to create internal links, these outside links can have impact, but in my opinion, I would only choose good sites to link in to.
    If you have time or desire, you may decide to read the information HP provides for creating a "stellar Hub" which is really helpful.
    Here is the link if you're interested: http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/Elem … tellar-Hub

I wish you the best of luck! cool

8. cardelean profile image86
    cardeleanposted 12 years ago

Another thing that has been suggested in other threads is to join some discussion groups based on your niche and then as you have been a member for a bit, share some of your work there so that people will check out your hubs.  I personally haven't tried this yet (it's more of a time issue than lack of desire to) so I cannot speak from experience, I'm just sharing what others have said.  For me, I just now feel like I am getting some good regular traffic to my hubs and I've been here just over a year.  Unfortunately much of it just takes time.

1. K9keystrokes profile image82
      K9keystrokesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Really good tips cardelean! smile

9. cardelean profile image86
    cardeleanposted 12 years ago

Thanks K9, as were yours.  Sometimes it's just hard to be patient.  This is definitely not a get rich quick scheme.  It takes time for all of that goodness to marinate!  (At least that's what I tell myself when I go to bed at night!)  big_smile

1. K9keystrokes profile image82
      K9keystrokesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think you are right on Point cara. It is a situation where patience is a real requirement. But, using the right combination of tools and writing talent, it can bring in a pretty nice bit of change or top rank in time (which is great if these are ones goals). Nice to see you today, HubHugs! smile

10. Randy Godwin profile image61
    Randy Godwinposted 12 years ago

Just be careful about any advice you get here, Jennifer.  Some on this page may be sound, but other such advice is merely speculation by some who simply do not have the experience to give it, despite their appearances otherwise. 

Izzy and I have both experienced getting good traffic and then being slammed back down by Google after doing so. We have tried many of the suggestions given by the so-called "experts" here and they have made absolutely no difference in the sandbox effect.  Just sayin'!

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6186572.jpg

1. IzzyM profile image87

This is so true Randy. I bit my tongue the other day when someone posted that the reason those who have lost or are not seeing traffic is because they wrote spammy, poor stuff that Google hates.

This is nonsense really, because nearly every time I search Google for information, their front page is full of crap, basically, short, spammy, poorly written and formatted pages.

Which we are told they hate?

I have hubs I thought were pretty awful, until I took them off here and put them onto a blog, and wow! I impressed myself. Did I really write that?

We get too used seeing the HP format, and after a while we think our stuff isn't very good because Google isn't sending the traffic, but it's not our writing at all, not if we have written with SEO in mind and chosen our titles carefully.

We'll just have to wait and see...

1. Randy Godwin profile image61
        Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yep, sometimes I think it's just harder to say "I don't know what in the hell is going on" for some people than for others.  Sure, everyone wants to help, but if you read these various threads concerning people losing sudden traffic, or possibly being sandboxed, a lot of the advice comes from those who've never experienced such problems themselves. 

Some of these same advisers  haven't been here long enough to obtain decent traffic, much less, lose it.  We've probably all listened to bad advice as newbies on this and other sites, so I hope people take a look at the experience and station of those giving the advice before taking it to heart.  As you and I both realize, no one knows much about what to do!  lol 

My traffic is up a bit, but not much!  smile

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/6186555.jpg

11. jenniferrpovey profile image76

Yeah. I looked again and I DO have an upward trend, it had just slowed down. It's very slow, but it's there, and that's all I care about.

I'll look into the grouping when I have a good block of time to do it in.

1. SmartAndFun profile image95
      SmartAndFunposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Grouping is quick and easy to do once you find the right button to click on. What I like most about grouping is that it allows the writer to determine and name the groups, as opposed to the HP categories, where you just have to find the best fit. Sometimes the category is close but not quite right, and you have to settle for it anyway.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)