What's wrong with being British?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (42 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 12 years ago

I just saw the new McG movie, "This Means War", and there's this one recurring joke that I don't understand, so I was hoping someone here can explain to me.  In the film, Reese Witherspoon's character says that one draw about Chris Pine's character is that he has small hands.  Now, I get that reference, as I've been told that the size of a man's hands are indicators about how big he is...well you get the idea. 

However, she also goes on to mention that the one flaw about Tom Hardy's character is that he's British, which she's implying makes him less than a man.  I thought about that last part for a while, but i don't really get it.  The only thing I could think of is that there's either a stereotype about British men being rather small...or she's a racist.  I don't know.  Therefore, can you ladies please tell me what's wrong with a guy that's british?   I know it's only a movie, but I would really like to know what the hell that joke means, as it doesn't make any sense.

1. Diane Inside profile image72
      Diane Insideposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I didn't see the movie and I know no stereotype about how endowed a man is just because he is British.  Although there probably is one. lol

When I think of British men, I think of Snobbish Bores with no sense of humor. Of Course this is not true of all Brits and I'm sure its mostly to do with the media that I would even think this at all. Especially since I only knew one Boy in high school from Britain here on the student exchange program.  He was the star basketball player at our school.  He got alot of attention because of it and yes I considered him quite snobbish. But of course its not like I hung out with him. He might have been a really good guy.

1. profile image0
        Stevennix2001posted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's a very interesting story Diane.  Thanks for sharing it.  smile  To be honest, I wouldn't breath too much into the joke in this movie, as most of McG films aren't that great to begin with.

2. IzzyM profile image88
      IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Are you sure she said British and not 'English'?

Just asking...perfectly understandable if she meant or said English..

Us Scots can sit back and wait for the flack....

Seriously even I, as a Scot, know of no reason why the English, or British for that matter, should be categorised in any way derogatory. Relating to..emmm, you know what. They are rubbish, European men are much better, but that's not widely known smile

1. profile image0
        Stevennix2001posted 12 years agoin reply to this

No, I'm pretty sure she said British, and not English, as it's a recurring joke about Tom Hardy's character throughout most of the movie.  That's why I was trying to figure out how that recurring joke about the guy being British was funny, as I don't get it.  But then again, it's directed by McG, so I shouldn't be surprised.

1. couturepopcafe profile image59
          couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't think it was an inference to size but passion. Brits are noted for being more reserved in the display of passion.

Personally, I love the British accent, whether it's English, Scottish, Irish, Welch. Something about it makes me feel like this guy is ok.

2. Greekgeek profile image78
    Greekgeekposted 12 years ago

How very bizarre.

Here I just got finished watching Patrick Stewart on Netflix just because he has a British accent, which of course gives him +10 sexy points over any American actor.

Er...TMI?

3. CMHypno profile image83
    CMHypnoposted 12 years ago

There's been a fairly anti-British. and especially anti-English thing going on in Hollywood for a while now.  British characters in American films tend to be  either 'baddies' or portrayed as fairly stupid toffs, and there are several films like Braveheart and The Patriot that don't let a little thing like what really happened stand in the way of making a film and portraying England as nothing but oppressive bullies. That's not to portray English/British history in too glowing a light either, but there is always two sides to any story and a non-biased balanced approach to historical films is to be applauded. And any stereotype is going to find its way into public consciousness if it is reinforced often enough.

And as we have a population of around 60 million, I don't think that they can all be boring snobs, be less than generously endowed and rubbish in the sack?  Well, as a British woman I hope not LOL! smile

Yeah, Hollywood's great at making something out of nothing. Unfortunately, some people take it as gospel truth. I love all things British and would move there in a heartbeat if I could.

4. LeanMan profile image79
    LeanManposted 12 years ago

I'm English / British and proud of it... and I have big hands!

As to anything derogatory about us Brits who knows - in the time that I have spent overseas most of the foreign young ladies that I have met are far more interested when they know I am British than they are in any Americans..

It's the accent. The only accent that compares in sexiness is Outback or Montana (real cowboy).

5. evvy_09 profile image59
    evvy_09posted 12 years ago

I don't get it.  I love a British accent.  Just like having a Russian accent, you can say anything you want to and it sounds awesome.  Maybe it's just me smile

Me, too. Russian is cool also but never thought about it the same way. Italian accents are cool, too. But Italian men are quite the opposite of Brits. One is reserved and polite in courtship, the other is all passion and romance. Maybe a bit too much unless you love that sort of thing.

6. Bard of Ely profile image80
    Bard of Elyposted 12 years ago

I am Welsh but I don't sound like it I am told! lol

7. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 12 years ago

..didn't see the movie...what's wrong with Brits?...nothing that i know of......ooohhhh - such lovely accents....talk dirty to me baby!...lol...oops sorry...i better get to work lol

1. LeanMan profile image79
      LeanManposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi sexxxxxyyyyy..... martini???

See? That right there. Reserved and polite. I know you can't get too dirty on the forum but someone else might have said, "I'm gonna slap you up." I prefer not.

8. SimeyC profile image88
    SimeyCposted 12 years ago

Well being British I actually thought this line was cute and funny - see I do have a sense of humor (humour!) - the British humor is very dry usually. BTW as you can see, I have written over 500 hubs therefore I MUST have very big hands. Nudge nudge wink wink say no more say no more!

It's crazy to see all the Brits coming out. People I never would have suspected of being. I love you guys.

We try to hide our Britishness but as soon as people see our hands ... they just know!!!!

Sometimes I'm afraid to travel the world being an American. I hear such horrible stories about American tourists being offensive. It's just because we're spoiled, have no manners, can't behave in polite society, throw money around like we're showing off, have no taste or style and carry junky luggage. Other than that, what's the problem?

2. JKenny profile image90
          JKennyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yep, must definitely be a British thing, because I have big hands and big feet too!

The feet thing is a major problem!! I have size 12 UK feet (yes girls I know what you're thinking) and I am currently living in the Philippines - there is not one store here that stocks anything of size 11 upwards.. Can someone send me some good quality slippers?

1. prettydarkhorse profile image62
              prettydarkhorseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Tony behave!! How's the weather there?

Hi PDH, not sure - its 1am and dark outside! But quite hot still, have the fan on full blast.. It was sunny earlier and too hot to be outside, I hope it cools off tomorrow a little as have a lot to do in town..
                How is it there??

going to spring, 12 C, PA, US, back to 6C on weekends.

I miss markets! Maybe you are eating lots of fish now. Enjoy your stay there.

I have nearly finished my Talapia ponds now, so will soon be harvesting my own..

I am loving it here, earning enough now on HP and my own sites to survive here.

2. couturepopcafe profile image59

I've got some banana leaves. Or send me your address via email and I'll find you some slippers. Do you prefer fuzzy, open toe, fabric, sandal type, or what?

And what size is that U.S.?

I believe that the US size is one size bigger as it is with everything else, much like the cars etc. Not quite sure what is being compensated for.

I have quite a few banana leaves also, they grow behind my rear wall... along with mango and various other fruits..

It might have to do with centimeters v inches.

9. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 12 years ago

The teeth

10. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 12 years ago

Good actors, as to the size I am not sure smile smile. Steven, I can't help you as I didn't watch that film, sorry

Those who portrayed James Bond character

Niven - English
    Connery - Scottish
    Craig - English
    Brosnan - Irish
    Dalton - Welsh
    Moore - English

Not British
    Lazenby - Australian

THE BEST actor, handsomest British - the winner is my favorite Daniel Day Lewis - both British and Irish citizenship. Never portrayed the role of James Bond, but that of Abe Lincoln

1. Greek One profile image63
      Greek Oneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Mike Myers - played James Bond with a funny edge (aka Austin Powers)

Mike Myers - Canadian

big_smile big_smile

11. Anti-Valentine profile image74
    Anti-Valentineposted 12 years ago

There's nothing wrong with being British. But it's common for American films to cast British actors or characters who are supposed to be British (played by Americans) in a film as being bad or undesirable. It's a stereotype. Few people like the British much, but probably many more dislike Americans. Sorry, has to be said.

The Irish and the Scottish don't like the British, but the British don't like anyone, especially not the Welsh. smile

1. Jason Marovich profile image88
      Jason Marovichposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That probably explains the serious and grumpy image we get across the pond.  It's because they're forced to live in misery on the same island with one another! (excluding the Irish, of course).

2. Nell Rose profile image90
      Nell Roseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The Irish and Scottish are British! Northern Ireland, Wales Scotland and England are British when you put them all together! Scottish Irish and Welsh don't like the English, the English try and get on with everyone!

12. stclairjack profile image78
    stclairjackposted 12 years ago

it may be a back handed joke,.... i've never seen the movie, nor will i likely,... but perhaps she doesnt like britts preciseley because she doesnt get the dry witt,...

the over-all implication is not that britts are a bad group,.. but that her charcter is stupid?

just guessing.

13. innersmiff profile image66
    innersmiffposted 12 years ago

Well I can't imagine what that could imply. Americans seem to invent British stereotypes at will. I had no idea that British people were supposed to have bad teeth until I started speaking to Americans.

14. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
    PaulGoodman67posted 12 years ago

As a Brit living in the USA, I have to say that Americans are generally very positive about British people and their accents in my experience, whatever Hollywood says!  :-)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)