Is this allowed?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (43 posts)
  1. Bard of Ely profile image79
    Bard of Elyposted 12 years ago

I have been approached by someone who says he will pay me to publish under my name hubs he has written. Is this allowed here?

1. lobobrandon profile image87
      lobobrandonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Why in the world would he pay you to publish under his name? I guess he's asking for backlinks then. It could harm your account if you link to bad sites so I wouldn't do that.

2. Pearldiver profile image67
      Pearldiverposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hit Him with a Stick mate! sad

And then you will keep your dog free of Fleas! smile

1. Pearldiver profile image67
        Pearldiverposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sorry that you don't seem to appreciate the above advice Bard. sad

It is solid advice if you Value the purity of your primary writing account! I worded my comment specifically so that I don't get SPAMMED by the many out there that read OUR THREADS on HP... and use our threads as a place to trawl looking for those who Don't Understand the Net as much as they Do!  I hoped that with a little thought my meaning would make sense to you!

These guys are as good as Mass Spammers.. and they are targeting anyone who has PR3 - PR9 sites, for the express purpose of SELLING Backlinks to their clients! END OF STORY.  SEs Frown badly on these style of operations and ANYONE who SELLS artificial site links.  It doesn't matter if you are writing content for those parties... you are scrutinized the same. 

If you wish to destroy All your efforts for a few bucks... go for your life, ignore this and those posts of others who have referred to this and watch how fast the search engines DUMP Your authority and presence!

That's what I meant by Fleas on your Dog! ... enjoy them or get rid of them.. but for everyone's sake... please.. Don't Share Them! smile

3. ThePracticalMommy profile image90
      ThePracticalMommyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Another hubber I know was offered the same thing, but several other hubbers and I advised him against it. YOU are responsible for what is posted under your name, and should any of it be against any rules, you will be moderated or banned, not this mystery person.

Be careful!!

4. Dave Mathews profile image61
      Dave Mathewsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hub Pages Legal Dept. would answer this one best.

2. Gordon Hamilton profile image92
    Gordon Hamiltonposted 12 years ago

Not sure of the legalities, Bard, but it sounds a bit suspicious to me. Maybe I'm just the suspicious type but I am immediately wondering why he is not publishing under his own name. Has he had his Google account revoked? Is he banned from HP? For what it's worth, even if you get a positive response from HP, I would tread very carefully there, unless you know the man and his motives very well. All sorts of complex copyright issues and monetary disputes could conceivably arise in the long term. Good luck with your decision and the outcome! smile

3. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 12 years ago

What does he want in return?

4. Bard of Ely profile image79

He wants to take advantage of how well known my hub is and the traffic it has had! He has his own hub but has a much lower hubscore and presumably far less traffic as he doesn't have many hubs.

What's he going to get by giving you the hub to publish under your name? How's he going to benefit from it?

Bard of Elyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well I assume he is paid by clients for getting articles about their products and services on the Internet.

I highly doubt it. I'm sure there's some other motive behind it especially if he's paying a reasonable amount. Because, clients usually use article directories and guest blogging and stuff (they don't pay for it).

His actual words were:  "I will need a link back to my client's site, I am interested in sending you 10 articles per month as I got many clients interested in advertising on your website. I can offer you $10 per article and this will be an ongoing project."

Oh smile I guess that should be fine as long as you go through them and make sure that they are of high quality etc. Also, it would be up to you to add pics etc to make them look appealing because you wouldn't want your hard earned status to go down the drain.

2. Gordon Hamilton profile image92
              Gordon Hamiltonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sounds even more suspicious. I may be wrong but I also think linking to the same site from an excessive number of Hubs is against TOS, as well as linking to the same domain more than twice from a single Hub.

I have a maxim that I follow in life: "If it sounds too good to be true, it definitely is! " sad

1. IzzyM profile image86
                IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think they relaxed that rule recently, about linking to the same domain across all hubs.

Apart from that, with the huge volume of hubs Bard already has, a bunch of hubs linking to the same domain would be well-watered down overall.

2. Bard of Ely profile image79

If that is right then we need a figure for how many an "excessive number" is and I have not seen anything about this. I have seen no more than twice to the same domain per hub though.

All I know about is that you aren't allowed to link to the same domain more than twice from a single hub (unless its a HP domain). So, I guess you shouldn't have a problem regarding that. It would be interesting to see if any others have info regarding this

3. IzzyM profile image86

I think that is a fantastic offer, and would bit someone's hand off to be made it, just so long as I have editorial rights, which of course you will have, it being your account.

4. ThePracticalMommy profile image90
              ThePracticalMommyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That is the exact wording from the email received by the other hubber I mentioned, Bard...

That doesn't inspire much confidence in this if he is mailing others with this!

5. Jason Marovich profile image88
              Jason Marovichposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Bard, check out Odesk, if you haven't.

With your portfolio here as reference, it shouldn't be difficult for you to land all the $10 assignments you can handle.  And you wouldn't have to use your own account here to do it.

It could be a harmless request.  I'd be hesitant to mess around with a good thing, especially if it's a good thing you've got going with your HP account.

2. habee profile image93
            habeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's not always true.

Let me run this scenario by you guys: Let's say you have a bunch of hubs about ferrets, and they're well written and have good traffic. A ferret food supplier contacts you and asks what type of ferret food you use. You answer that you use Red Hat ferret food and that you think it's the best. The person responds with something like, "That's great to hear! I sell Red Hat ferret food on my website and will pay you to write a review with a link back to my site." You check out the site, and it's legit. Is there anything wrong with writing a review hub that includes a link?

No that's a review written by yourself - I wouldn't mind writing a review that way as long as I know it's not going to harm me in any way.

1. habee profile image93
                habeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I know - I was asking a sincere question for feedback from other hubbers.

wink
                  As long as you really know about what your writing and promoting its fine. Because I never give away info especially reviews on products I personally don't know about - It need not be used by you and you could always get feedback from friends and write hubs about them smile

2. SmartAndFun profile image94
              SmartAndFunposted 12 years agoin reply to this

IMHO, this sounds like a win-win situation. You dash out an honest, positive review of a product that you already know about and love, and the seller of that product gets a link to his/her site from your honest positive review.

I'm not all that well-versed with the rules and the ins and outs of writing here, so maybe it's not a good idea for some reason, but my first impression is that it sounds great. I would love it if someone made an offer like that to me.

2. IzzyM profile image86

Ah, that makes sense. I'd want the right to edit in case they are too spammy looking.

2. IzzyM profile image86

Your profile is PR3. He'd probably be better off paying you to to give him a backlink from it. That will promote his hub on his own account and increase his readership.

But if indeed you published his hubs under your name, how is going to collect his share of the earnings when you won't know which ones earned under HPads, if you run them?

Or does he just want his stuff read regardless of monetary return?

3. Cardisa profile image87
      Cardisaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

@ Bard of Ely. Why doesn't he open another account and start over with fresh content? I don't think it's a good idea Bard.

5. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

I knew there was some change to the rule about promoting the same link across several hubs - http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/91597#post1955501

1. Gordon Hamilton profile image92
      Gordon Hamiltonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ah, I missed that one, Izzy - thanks. Doesn't really make any difference to me personally but still good to know, as well as the thinking behind it.

I've had another thought about this issue, however (despite now running the risk of being incredibly late for an appointment at my bank! smile )

What the third (fourth?) party here is essentially doing is engaging in one of the most basic forms of Black Hat SEO. If (when) Google catch up with him, what are the chances of them digging really deep and examining the incoming links? What if those tiny bots see all these Web tendrils attached to and representing bardofely@hubpages? Might they scurry along these wispy paths and take a look in greater detail?

Bard, what you may be inadvertently doing in the long term is putting your whole subdomain at risk for short term gain, however appealing I agree it may be. I am now 100% convinced, I'm afraid, that I wouldn't go for this offer. Tough one, I know, but I hope you think long and hard.

Good luck - now it's definitely bank time for me!

6. CMHypno profile image82
    CMHypnoposted 12 years ago

One thing to consider is that you have built up a big follower base and huge traffic because of your writing. If readers come onto your account expecting  to read a Bard hub and go away disappointed they might not come back.  It might not even be because it is a poor hub, it is just not a Bard of Ely hub - a bit like buying a Stephen King book only to find that you were reading Jilly Cooper?

Yes, that is another worry!

7. Bard of Ely profile image79

Pearldiver, I admit I didn't really understand what you had posted! Thanks for the advice! I will take it!
    Jason, I have wasted a lot of time on oDesk and recently updated a hub of mine about the place to say I am not using it any more. It is an insult to writers on there with crazy jobs that pay $1 an hour or less! Over a year ago I was told my profile there was one of the best on the site but I still couldn't get any decent jobs there!

1. Cameron Corniuk profile image84
      Cameron Corniukposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi, Bard. I know exactly what you mean. I started out there and made okay money. Then, it got too many offers and people accepting offers for a dollar an article or 5 articles an hour with only $2 paid per hour. Ridiculous! One of the things I started doing was taking interviews and keeping track. I'd understand when someone wanted a native English speaker, but wanted them at $2 an hour or less, so they would end up hiring someone from India or Kuwait. Within a few weeks or months, they would come back to me, wanting me to do the work at my prior rate. "Sure. I'll do the work, but the price just doubled. I now have to work hard to go back an undo the damage you did by hiring someone besides me." You'd be surprised how often this actually worked. I also made a number of contacts through there that have enabled me to work completely oDesk free for the most part for the better part of more than a year.

Now, back to the original question. I *might* post a blog on my own name, if I agree with the product, and I've got such a menagerie anyhow and my PR isn't that high...I'm pretty sure it isn't, although I haven't checked. I also write hubs for other hubbers to publish under their own, who do better than I, because they put more work into it, and I don't see anything wrong with this. It's ghost writing, pure and simple. What I have been considering is starting a new account to handle the sorts of requests you are seeing. One purely for paid-for-articles. I'd have to be choosy about my clients. They might provide me material, but I'd end up writing or re-writing everything anyhow. I'm actually interested to hear what others thing about it. But, if it isn't a bad idea, perhaps someone like you, who has done the legwork and learned the techniques, you'd have a second hub account that would be starting at zero, but would you be able to duplicate your success? Would you be willing to? It's just a thought.

8. Bard of Ely profile image79

Thanks for sharing your experiences, Cameron! I have sent the guy who sent me the offer an email saying I am not accepting it. As for oDesk it will have to improve a lot there to get me back!

9. Cameron Corniuk profile image84
    Cameron Corniukposted 12 years ago

Oh, I'm not advocating for oDesk by any means. For some people it works, but there are certainly better options out there. It's really gone downhill over the years, so please don't misconstrue my thoughts on the matter. I'm with you. I go back there every once and awhile to check it out, and there's nothing I'd like better than to bill the crew there for wasting my time.

I think you made the right choice anyhow, but that and $6 might get you a cup of coffee these days.

oDesk I was advised was a good place to make money and I am sure it once was but it certainly isn't now!

10. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

If you are paid for a review, or compensated for it in any way (e.g. free product), under US law (FTC) you *must* disclose this.

11. Bard of Ely profile image79

OK, every one, I am out of this  as of now seeing as I have decided not to go ahead and have said so. For anyone who is interested in this the hubber's name is labnol!

12. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image80
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years ago

@Bard - you're stuff's too good to be mixed with someone else's content.

So ....I'd definitely tell whoever "no thank you" regardless.

13. Bard of Ely profile image79

Thank you, Wesman and Cardisa! It is all over because I have said no thanks!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)