How many other "struggling" eBook authors out there?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (31 posts)
  1. Damiendarby profile image60
    Damiendarbyposted 12 years ago

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6242584_f248.jpg
    I myself have ten eBooks published. It is a rough racket. How are my fellow eBook revolutionaries doing these days? Is 2012 treating you as well as the projections claimed it would?

1. tsmog profile image84
      tsmogposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Haven't published any yet. I have a challenge with time to do anything. I need to research this first - ebooks, kindle etc. I have two pretty defined outlines w/ a couple chapters laid out for both now. Soon I hope.

Damiendarbyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What kind of eBooks are they? Fiction? Have you considered a ghostwriter?

1. tsmog profile image84

The ghostwriter part - no, haven't considered it.

One book is excerpted here Balancing Bipolar disorder with wellness and The Stigma of Mental Illness: How it can be overcome.

I'm discovering from google analytics that my fiction does better. So, with the time constraints I have, I'm tossing and turning for awhile on it.

1. manlypoetryman profile image80
            manlypoetrymanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

tsmog: wish you the best with your writings...I too have been processing a book I want to do in a series form...through ebook. I have put hours and hours into it...and am closer to the finish line then ever before!

Does anyone have experience with "Smashwords"?

1. couturepopcafe profile image60
              couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, love Smashwords. They have a comprehensive and easy to follow step by step formatting guide. Auto vetter takes a few days after that. Then you get into the premium catalog and are distributed to every major publisher except Amazon. You get all the majors and most of the little ones I'd never heard of. The payout is decent.

2. ElizaDoole profile image83
            ElizaDooleposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Cripes that is good to know. I was beginning to wonder why books about fungal toenail infections were doing so well in the Serps!

2. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 12 years ago

My eBooks are still in the works, but I believe they are just like free online information - if you don't choose the right topics/keywords, you'll never succeed. Although with eBooks, things like cover graphics and summary also help.

Personally I think that the eBook cover aspect has gotten way out of control. Where once Indie authors sought only to produce good writing and the cover be damned, now it is a struggle to have the most dazzling. Prices have sky rocketed. If someone in their spare time (in the process myself) taught themselves Gimp and mastered it, they could charge 50$ a pop and you would need dump tucks to handle all the fiat currency.

True that. If I had the time to learn it and buy PhotoShop, I hear it's not that difficult to format a cover file. I paid about $50. and she took two weeks to do what could have been done in about 2 hours.

3. thecollecktor profile image65
    thecollecktorposted 12 years ago

I am a beginner Ebook author with many ideas, yet have not found a free format I could use to both as a guide and a way to publish them.   I am excited about the opportunities and look to 2012 being my year as an ebook author and publisher

Smashwords is 100% free to format, get an ISBN, and publish. If you follow the formatting guidelines exactly, you should have no problem. I didn't grow up with computers and I found it doable.

You don't need a cover but they say it helps.

2. tlmcgaa70 profile image60
      tlmcgaa70posted 11 years agoin reply to this

i have just started an ebook. i am writing it for the Amazon Kindle. it will then be sold on amazon.com as a kindle ebook. amazon offers a free guide that tells you step by step how to build your book for kindle. if you do not own a kindle amazon has a free kindle app for your computer. this is hopw i am writing my ebook.

4. Damiendarby profile image60
    Damiendarbyposted 12 years ago

I would love to help you in any way I can. What is it exactly you are looking for? Publishing eBooks is free far and wide and shouldnt be a problem. All formats are free. If I can assist you in any way please let me know.

5. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

I placed my ebooks with epublishers.  That way I had a good idea how well they would sell before--and they delivered pretty much according to expectations.

Hey now there is an interesting comment. Could you be a little more specific about what you mean? Which epublishers? Are you talking about a pool of readers that sample the genre market?

1. psycheskinner profile image84
        psycheskinnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am talking about commercial epublishers like Double Dragon and Ellora's Cave.  With a little research you can quickly see how well their books, in your genre, are selling.  I found giving up half the royalties more than worth it given that they did everything but writing the book itself for me.

Just my approach, but I am more than happy with it.

1. tsmog profile image84

Thank you for the insight psycheskinner, with your experience!

2. Damiendarby profile image60

Good to know thanks, we eBookers have to stick together smile

3. JChan13 profile image59
          JChan13posted 12 years agoin reply to this

My debut novel is out with Siren BookStrand in ebook format.  lLike you, I had to give up about half the purchase price but they gave me input on everything from the cover to even the edits.  They did not insist on changes, but rather asked me to consider certain things that made it more in line with what they publish.  I have only been released about a month now, but I'm pleased with the initial sales.  Considering it's my first book and I don't have a following built up yet, I am pleased.  I'm pretty much on my own for marketing though, and need to do a lot more to try to put my title out there.  But Siren did the most important parts and I am working on edits for my second release now and intend to let them list it as well.  I'm not able to quit my "day job", which of course would be the ultimate goal, but at least they made it easy for me to get my foot in the door in the pubishing world.

What's the website for double dragon? I looked up double dragon and came up with a martial arts site.

2. Eugene Hardy profile image60
        Eugene Hardyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Which e-publishers if you don't mine me asking.  Other than Barnes & Noble, Amazon.

1. Eugene Hardy profile image60

Double Dragon and Ellora's Cave, huh, I'll check them out and try to publish with them after my 90 days are up with Amazon.

Thanks!

You're in KDP huh? I have 10 eBooks in that program myself and am very displeased, in fact, very much so. How has your experience been?

Not that good so far - only two since December.  It's poetry, which I have noticed to be a hard sale anyway.  Since this is now my life long profession I'm willing to be patient.

I'm some what shy so I have avoided doing open word, but it looks like I'm going to have to grow some stripes over my spots.

If there is anything I can do to help you Mr. Hardy, let me know. I am all for the empowerment of Indie Authors.

Same here Mr. Dardy.

Right now I'm looking into free, effective and non-intrusive ways to promote my writings and poetry.

I'm testing out ideas.

If you haven't already, look into "Inbound Marketing," I know it sounds ubber commercial, but I don't see it that way.

2. psycheskinner profile image84
      psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

I tried one self-pub ebook--the sales were a tad underwhelming.

3. charm_baker profile image56
      charm_bakerposted 11 years ago

Greetings all - I'm a new eBook publisher and I'm excited about the future of both my Free eBook and the one I offer for a small fee.  I'm published through Smashwords, and I like the fact that they tell you exactly how to format for ePub (the eBook publishing standard) so that your eBook can be made available in various digital formats.  While some writers don't want to be bothered with or are intimidated by eBook formatting, the clean style that is required is really the most effective way to write our articles anyway.  Things like learning to use the proper Heading tags and omitting excessive font and paragraph styles are actually additional elements of SEO writing.  I'm thrilled to have graduated to the next phase of online writing for pay - creating your own digital product.  I say to anyone thinking about writing their own eBook - go for it!

4. shaylove727 profile image61
      shaylove727posted 11 years ago

I've published 2 ebooks so far: Diary of a Sex Addict: Based on a True Story and Girl, Come and get your Blessings: An Inspirational Book for Women.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)