eBay better than Amazon?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (13 posts)
  1. Michael J Rapp profile image60
    Michael J Rappposted 12 years ago

I've been reading (on this forum mostly) about how Google isn't liking the Amazon affiliate capsules in Hubs so much these days.  Is it better to replace them with eBay capsules if applicable?  Or, does Google take issue with anything where we're trying to sell something?

I don't have a lot of Amazon Hubs so far, but I have a few.  I was just approved for eBay so I'm thinking of switching them up.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

I usually put both Amazon and Ebay ads on my hubs.

Michael J Rappposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What I think I've been reading, if I understand correctly, is that some people are saying that Google might penalize Hubs with Amazon sales capsules.  Do you feel like you've had any problem with that?

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
        Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I haven't noticed. I get decent traffic from Google.

2. Marisa Wright profile image84
        Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Load of rubbish. 

There was a bit of a witch hunt about Amazon-based Hubs after Panda, but it wasn't because of Amazon.  It was because many people created Amazon-based Hubs which were too light on content (which Google hates) and flooded with ads.  Or they were written with too much focus on keywords, so they ended up being keyword-stuffed (which Google hates).

The expert Amazon affiliates used a lot of Amazon capsules, but they also wrote long content - over 800 words - which diluted the keywords to an acceptable level and ensured there was ample content to please Google.  They're no longer on HubPages but they still use that format successfully on blogs.  I have several websites which have entire pages full of eBay ads and they've never been slapped.

Personally I think eBay is better than Amazon, though.  Amazon has only a one-day cookie - if people don't buy immediately, you get nothing.  eBay's cookie is longer, so your readers have more time to think about their purchase.  The downside on HP is that you can't specify "Buy It Now" items only - I've found that makes a big difference to how many sales you make so I'm very disappointed that feature isn't offered.

Michael J Rappposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you.  Good to know.  Like I said, I don't use a lot, but I have a few Hubs with Amazon capsules so far. 

I'm almost afraid to ask, but why are the "expert Amazon affiliates" no longer on HubPages?

3. WryLilt profile image89
    WryLiltposted 12 years ago

I believe Google would see Amazon/eBay capsules as both the same - they are both affiliate adverts to sell items.

I have an account with just Amazon sale hubs and it got hit hard after the subdomain change and still hasn't recovered.

So I'd advise using Amazon/eBay capsules sparingly to avoid a penalty.

1. Marisa Wright profile image84

Wry, did you ever do keyword density analysis on your sales Hubs?

All the advice these days seems to be that you must keep your keyword density below 4%.  I analysed of some of Izzy's Hubs and found her density up over 5%, even though she had good content.  The problem seems to be you can write naturally and not over-stuff, but your keyword is appearing in every single Amazon ad and that pushes you over the limit.  Might be worth checking.

There's also a rumour that Google has got wise to the advice that you must have your keyword in every title and sub-title - if you do that, Google sees that as a sign of calculated SEO and doesn't like it.  Especially if you repeat the keyword more than once in the same title.  Of course it's just speculation, but it makes sense - I mean, it's advice that's bandied about all over the internet.  Google would be pretty stupid if they didnt have someone monitoring what webmasters are saying so they can counteract the latest tricks.

1. WryLilt profile image89
        WryLiltposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ok thanks Marisa. When I wrote them I did try and avoid using my main words (synonyms where possible) but that was over a year ago so when I get around to it I'm hoping to do them over a bit. I was waiting for the six months as someone mentioned a few people had been sandboxed for that time period.

But I'll keep that in mind when I do go over them, thanks. smile

I wish there was some way to differentiate between sandbox and Panda.  Both have essentially the same "symptoms", except that the sandbox only happens to new domains, a month or so after they're set up.  Apparently Google gives all new domains the benefit of the doubt for the first month or so, then takes a look to see whether it's built some decent content and gained any backlinks (or if it's gained too many, which look suspicious!). If it gets a tick, it's assessed and given a ranking.  If not, it gets sandboxed.

So if your traffic drop happened a long time after you got your sub-domain, or if your sub-domain just never took off, it's not the sandbox.  But - and here's the catch - if it happened a few weeks after your sub-domain started, it could be either.

That's my understanding anyway.  Of course, some people say the sandbox doesn't even exist...

It happened within a few weeks. I liked the sandbox theory mainly because it gave me an excuse not to touch the account for awhile (has over 50 hubs on it). So laziness really!

I have SO many projects on the go at the moment, not enough time in the day. I have three websites that are doing quite well and need more content (one has almost NO content yet is getting plenty of views, so really needs some actual content). And I'm starting an online business in July. Plus my autobiography has fallen onto the backburner...

I have been trying out oDesk to outsource some of the boring stuff. Have you ever tried it?

No I haven't.  I've just discovered Fiverr - students will write three or four short promo articles for $5.  I'm surprised how good the quality is.

On oDesk you can hire people for as little as $2.22 an hour.

I've had to try a few to get some I was happy with, but they'll do anything from find you the cheapest hotel to keyword research or finding you information.

You can also review their work history to see what they're doing to complete your job.

Must admit, I find Fiverr pretty awesome too. But with oDesk you can hire one person to work for you indefinitely, instead of have to rehire them for different jobs each time.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)