Nausicaa - film that my kids like

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)
  1. bloggernotjogger profile image62
    bloggernotjoggerposted 12 years ago

My 4 year old can´t get enough of Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind. What´s weird is that my 13 month old loves it too. It´s great if I have to do something and I need them to settle down. However, I want them to do other things or at least watch something different every once in a while.

I´m looking at some other animé, since they seem to like it. Spirited Away has some good reviews. Any others?

1. RachaelLefler profile image91
      RachaelLeflerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I really liked Nausicaa too! Ponyo is good, so is Spirited Away. When I was little I really like Cardcaptor Sakura and Sailor Moon, as well as Visions of Escaflowne. My little sisters are 4 and 5 and they're really into Pokemon right now. Pokemon and Digimon I like because I think they show children the value of being kind to animals and caring about the planet. But for little children I'd definitely reccommend basically anything by Studio Ghibli. No one can make a good, enchanting family film like Miyazaki.

2. heatblast92 profile image64
    heatblast92posted 12 years ago

What about Howl's Moving Castle? Quite a work of art if I recall

3. profile image0
    The Writers Dogposted 12 years ago

Your kids have great taste. Another film that they may enjoy is Ponyo. Also by Studio Ghibli, it is about a goldfish princess who wants to become a human girl.

4. luckystephgo profile image61
    luckystephgoposted 12 years ago

Nausicaa is a really good movie and I'm sure they'll love Spirited Away too smile

I think they might like Howl's Moving Castle, Kiki's Delivery Service, The Cat Returns, My Neighbor Totoro and Castle in the Sky.

Grave of the Fireflies is a great movie and it's one of my favorites but I'm not sure if they will like it bcoz it's a sad story about two orphaned children and it made me cry even though I watched it alot of times lol! But I love it.. smile

5. profile image0
    Peelander Gallyposted 12 years ago

Most of the Ghibli movies are winners, as has been said. It's basically the Japanese Disney. Some are too dark for children that young, like the amazing Princess Mononoke and Grave of the Fireflies, which is recognised internationally not as a children's movie but one of the most powerful war films ever made.

Pom Poko is also kind of questionable for children because of the nature of the enchanted raccoon dogs; their testicles are very prominent and always have been in the fables about them for some reason. Overall the film is about conservation - as are a lot of other Ghibli flicks to one degree or another - but sometimes-enormous morphing genitalia makes it really awkward for Western viewers.

Tales from Earthsea is in much the same vein as Nausicaa, though I haven't actually seen it and it might be violent. Porco Rosso is pretty decent and it may not bore your kids if they love Nausicaa. Whisper of the Heart is another really good but kind of obscure one, and it's very sweet but probably too old for them.

The Dog of Flanders is supposed to be good, and The Last Unicorn and the entire Rainbow Brite franchise are Japanese-American collaborations that I adored as a child and still do. I second the Sailormoon motion - I read the manga series from the time I was 10 but started watching the dubbed anime series and movies when I was very young - and the Card Captor Sakura motion as well.

6. vmartinezwilson profile image79
    vmartinezwilsonposted 12 years ago

This is a fantastic film that I was introduced to for my Sci-Fi class.  When I watched it, my 4 year old was there and absolutely loved it.  I don't normally watch dubbed movies since I prefer to hear the actor's intonation, but since my daughter was there I did.  What a wonderful cast which includes Edward James Olmos, Shia leBeauf, Uma Thurman and Patrick Stewart.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)