Henryville, Indiana

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)
  1. LoriSoard profile image64
    LoriSoardposted 12 years ago

So, there really isn't a category for this, but Henryville is my hometown and I just wanted to let everyone know that the devastation there is unbelievable. My family was extremely blessed. I just posted pictures in a new hub of the tornado right by our house. We live on the outskirts of Henryville and saw it getting bigger and bigger as it worked its way past us. My crazy husband took the pictures and has video, but we haven't gotten it uploaded yet.

We could tell it was headed for the downtown area and we knew that many kids were still on buses as our daughter, a senior at the school, drives and barely made it home before the tornado hit.

I just want to ask that if you are a praying person that you pray for the town and its residents. The community is very close-knit and the kids are all worried about their school. The seniors are concerned they won't get to graduate together and so many other worries. However, in the midst of that, they are also very thankful to not have lost a single student or staff member. Everyone is alive thanks to some quick thinking by bus drivers and school administration and just being prepared.

I have had so many people ask me how they can help...

If you want to donate, it is probably best to send money, but be careful where you send it. There are tons of supplies rolling in, but people have medical bills or have completely lost homes and everything they have to their names. The Red Cross and some churches in the area are the best sources. The churches I personally know and believe will get whatever you send to those who need it include:

Vienna Baptist in Underwood (the pastor is our neighbor and friend)
    First Baptist Henryville (have heard good things about the pastor)
    Henryville Community Church (good people and right next to the school)
    Graceland Baptist Church in New Albany(our church and they have a team that goes all over the country and helps in situations like this. They are just waiting for the word that they can get in there)
    Saint Francis Catholic Church in Henryville
    Country Lake Christian Retreat, which is ran through the Southeast Christian Church out of Louisville has opened their doors to offer food and shelter to anyone who needs it.

I'm sure there are many other churches helping. These are the ones that I either know personally or know someone who goes there and I know the money will get to the people. Also, Mount Moriah Church in Henryville has been completely devastated and are going to need help to rebuild. I saw the pastor's daughter this afternoon and she was only wanting to get the word out about where people could get help and that they have supplies in their basement they are trying to get to and give to people. That tells you a lot about the heart of that church and why they need help as well.

Thanks to all who have contacted me on Facebook or via e-mail to check on me and my family or my town. We are fine. We are blessed. The town will be rebuilt. Hoosiers are strong people. I can't believe the people helping from all around the country. It is truly amazing to me what a loving and wonderful country this is and how we all take care of each other. It really puts things into perspective. Hug your family close. Make up if you've had a quarrel. You never know when the next breath is your last.

2. teaches12345 profile image78
    teaches12345posted 12 years ago

Lori, the news of the disaster made headlines and the coverage showed such great loss to people. I think it is much too early to hear of tornado activity but we never know when these things will strike. I lived in the midwest most of my life and this was a common expectation in spring. I did experience a couple of twisters and know the damage they can cause. 

I will keep your family and the community in prayer for a quick recovery. I am sure the families who lost loved ones have the support of a loving community to help them through this healing period. You show great strength and courage that will help many to get through this tragedy. 

Although it is a sad event, I will look forward to your hub posting on this.  Take care and may God be with each of you.

3. profile image0
    The Writers Dogposted 12 years ago

We get NBC Today here in Australia. I saw the destruction this morning on what was probably Sunday US time's bulletin.

Please know that there are millions of people here whose thoughts, love, and prayers are with the people who were hit by the tornados across the US.

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6270652_f248.jpg

From my boyfriend's garden smile

4. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

Lori,

I'm sorry to see that the tornadoes have struck so close for you and others you know.  I've been watching the forums here to see if anyone mentioned the storms, because I couldn't imagine that with all the areas that have been hit there hasn't been some people on here who either live in/near those areas or have family or friends there.  Of course, people who have been hit too badly aren't going to be able to be on here.

Thoughts going out to you and your community.  I wish there was something more to say.  I know when tornadoes came through Massachusetts last year, my disabled cousin and her wheelchair-bound husband watched a bad one from their window, where their city took the brunt of the worst of it.  I couldn't contact her for a few days, and I know how nervous I was just about that one relative; so I can't imagine how it must be to be thinking about, worried about, watching the losses of, a number of people (not to mention living in the area yourself).  Thank goodness your daughter is OK.

Stay safe and know that so, so, many people's thoughts have been with all those in the affected areas.  Maybe check in just to let us know how things are going for you.

5. AEvans profile image71
    AEvansposted 12 years ago

I pray so I will be praying for everyone there. The devastation was horrendous and has been reported all over our news stations. It is nice to hear that you and your family were safe and sound. God will be there for everyone in Henryville. Keep us updated.

6. LoriSoard profile image64

Thanks, everyone. Lisa, I have lived in Indiana for 42 years. Tornadoes are nothing. However, this was not a normal Indiana tornado. It was like something out of Twister. I have never seen a tornado that big or ferocious. I think they get them like that in maybe Kansas or Oklahoma sometimes. I hope I never see another one like it.

I will keep everyone posted as we hear more news. I know there are many hurting and who have lost everything but their lives.

7. LoriSoard profile image64

Wow! I can't believe this made the Australian news. Thanks for the prayers.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)