John McCain Is the First Senator to Call for Bombing Syria

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (18 posts)
  1. Stacie L profile image87
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

By Adam Clark Estes | The Atlantic Wire – 2 hrs 3 mins ago

Sen. John McCain will call on a repeat performance of the kind of military operation that dislodged Muammar Qaddafi from Libya in Syria, asking the U.S. military to begin air strikes to protect Syrian opposition forces. In remarks leaked first to Foreign Policy's Josh Rogin, McCain's speech on the Senate floor on Monday will argue, "The kinds of mass atrocities that NATO intervened in Libya to prevent in Benghazi are now a reality in Homs."

http://news.yahoo.com/john-mccain-first … 15683.html
    should the US get involved with bombs?

1. Credence2 profile image79
      Credence2posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have had it up to hear with the nation building stuff. We want our natiional sovereigty respected how about allowing others to realize the same? McCain is "Mars" the god of war incarnate. Look at that ruddy complexion of his. Doesn't his sort every get enough, we are stretched thin militarily around the globe and I can;t afford any more saber rattling just for saber rattling sake. This idea of McCain has got to be destablizing throughout the region. Every ME government wondering when we are going to plant the seeds to subvert their societies.

Yes AKA as the "Rifleman" always ready to shoot first and ask questions later.

2. lovemychris profile image76
    lovemychrisposted 12 years ago

Articles have come out on the alternet in plenty, that Western intelligence forces are involved in Syria....Co-intel-pro.

Much like the color uprisings in Georgia.

ANY time a neo-con wants war...it's not this country's best interest they have in mind.

3. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

It is now a civil war created, supported and financed by the usual western villains.

4. Paul Wingert profile image60
    Paul Wingertposted 12 years ago

McCain should of been retired and dead a long time ago.

5. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 12 years ago

Why did we help Libya? I'm serious. I'm not saying I agree with the decisions on Libya, but what's the difference?

1. Jason Marovich profile image88
      Jason Marovichposted 12 years agoin reply to this

For one, Syria is far more politically connected to other powerful countries.  If, say, France and Britain were to begin an air campaign against Syria, there could be shock waves across the Middle East, starting with Iran and Lebanon.

2. profile image0
      Mtbailzposted 12 years agoin reply to this

There's much more to deal with in Syria than Libya. In Libya there was a clear rebel movement that had quite a bit of popular support. In Syria the people dislike the government but there are more rebel groups to deal with. Also, Iran has a foothold in this country, so it's important to tred more lightly than we did in other countries.

6. profile image0
    The Writers Dogposted 12 years ago

They must have just discovered oil in Syria. Why else would McCain want military intervention after only twelve months of genocide by the Assad dictatorship?

7. profile image0
    idratherbeposted 12 years ago

President Obama is critized and yet all I hear is war out of many of the GOP politicians. Haven't we lost enough lives and spent enough money? We need to clean up our own backyard before we look at financing another war.

1. profile image0
      Peelander Gallyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Amen to that. It's like: Go Team America World Police! Wait, why does everyone hate us? Heathen ingrates.

8. lovemychris profile image76

Iranian Envoy: Syrian Terrorists Killing People with US, Israeli Weapons

TEHRAN (FNA)- A senior Iranian diplomat blasted the western countries, specially the US, for their double-standard attitude towards terrorism, and said the Syrian people and security forces are being killed by the al-Qaeda-affiliated terrorists who are armed with the US and Israeli weapons.

"The West does not speak about the ties between the terrorist groups in Syria and the al-Qaeda which slaughters the people with US and Israeli weapons in that country," Iranian Ambassador to Uruguay Hojjatollah Soltani said on Monday.

1. ElizaDoole profile image83
      ElizaDooleposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I love the way Iran claims to know for sure that al-Qaeda terrorists are killing Syrians. At the risk of sounding patronomial, why don't Iran go in with their army and defend Syria from it's foes then? Why does the West suddenly have to come to the rescue.
      In any case we can't. NATO has said no to going in with our armies as China and Russia are now on the voting table for the next few years, and a new majority means one of them have to capitulate.

How come Iran is suddenly able to identify al-Qaeda terrorists? That's new intelligence that they forgot to share for the past twenty years or so when Western Intelligence agencies sought their cooperation on locating bin-Laden.

1. lovemychris profile image76
          lovemychrisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Interesting vid - I don't agree with it tho - there is an organised terror network - i believe. It is not just comprised of Muslims, it is comprised of those who want to do evil.

9. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 12 years ago

I don't like the US to serve as world police, but I do think what's happening to the Syrians is horrific. I don't know what the answer is. I'm glad I'm not POTUS, and I'm very thankful that I was born in and live in America.

10. lovemychris profile image76

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)