For Mighty Mom: My Mitt report

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (44 posts)
  1. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 12 years ago

Okay, MM - here it is:

The event started at 12:30. Hubby and I arrived at 10:30 and got in line. We were about #49 and #50 standing in line waiting for the doors to open at 11:30. It was cold and windy, and I was freezing! We chatted with other attendees while we waited. The guy behind us was a small businessman and former Obama supporter, and he told me that he's now fully behind Romney. He had his teenage daughter with him. About 11:15, I walked down to the corner to see how long the line was behind us, and I was amazed at the length of the line! I mean really, this is far right GA. We got seats at the second table from the stage, so we were very close to Mitt. Every seat was taken, and there were rows and rows of people standing. The fire marshal wouldn't let anyone else in at that point, so around 500 people or so stood outside. Some TV/radio personality was sitting 2 chairs down from us, so I could hear him discussing things with the event officials. The TV guy must have been one of the organizers.

There were people there of all ages and races, except that I didn't notice any Hispanics. Of course, I didn't see everyone. Asians were well represented, and there were more African Americans there than I thought there would be. What surprised me the most was the number of young folks there. It looked like people from all walks of life were there, too. As a matter of fact, there were two guys and a woman standing in front of us in line, and they looked like they might have been OWS plants. When a guy came by selling Romney buttons, this trio purchased several and immediately placed them on their hoodies. I thought, "Wow. These plants/protesters are really doing it up right." lol. As it turned out, they weren't protesters. They were actually Romeny supporters. I talked with the woman later - in the restroom, of all places.

Several things struck me about seeing Romney in person. He's much thinner than he looks on TV. I mean, this guy is skinny! Heck, I wanted to force feed him some southern BBQ or something. He also looks older in person. His speech was also surprisingly inspiring. I don't know if he's getting better, or if it's just different hearing a speech in person, or whether I was caught up in the excitement of the crowd. And the crowd, at least in the area where I was seated, was loud and very supportive.

It was obvious that Romney and his staff were all surprised by the size of the crowd. Mitt offered several humorous moments. When he saw how many people were there, he said that Georgians must really love pancakes. Ann spoke, too, and I really liked her. They were trying to get everyone through the buffet line before Mitt spoke, but there were so many people that they had to stop the buffet for Mitt to speak. After he spoke, the buffet continued, and Mitt shook hands. I wanted to speak to him, but there was no way I was getting in that crowd. Gosh, they were acting like teenagers hoping to see a rock star up close. lol.

Mitt took questions from the audience, and I think he handled them well. The best one, IMO, came from a little boy. It was about Iran and nukes. Most of the questions were about the economy.

I'm glad we went. The last political rally I went to was a fundraiser for Bill Clinton. I have to say, Clinton's had better food (pulled pork). Then again, Clinton's food wasn't free. I think everyone should attend at least one political rally for a candidate they support. It's sort of like being at a football game where everyone is rooting for the same team!

I think I'll write a hub about my experience. Oh, wait...I just did! lol

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6269652_f248.jpg

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/6269654_f248.jpg

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6269657_f248.jpg

1. Shanna11 profile image75
      Shanna11posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I know I'm not Mighty Mom-- but I'm a Romney supporter and I was hoping you would do a follow up! Since I'm going to the same college Romney graduated from and I'm Mormon as well, I got to work some phone lines for his campaign, and since I'm a political science/econ major, if (and I'm aware how big of an IF that is) he wins the election, I'll be interning in Washington DC at the same time he's in office. It'd be very cool.

Thanks for the report!

1. habee profile image93
        habeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That would be way cool, Shanna!

2. Randy Godwin profile image62
    Randy Godwinposted 12 years ago

Was there any way to tell how many people were there for the free food versus those who actually went to hear Mitt?  Free food generally draws a good crowd, no matter their political affiliations. 

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6186572.jpg

1. habee profile image93

Yeah, I wondered that, too, RD! We didn't even eat. The line was WAY too long.

3. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 12 years ago

Wow, Habee!
    Thanks so much.
    I had checked onto the initial forum thread from yesterday and realized the "answers" weren't going to be there.
    This is more than I had hoped for (but typical Habee). Thanks for the 360 view and the cool photos, too!

I have been getting emails about having dinner with Obama. I have zero interest in that.

But glad you enjoyed your political experience.
    And shared it with us.
    MM

1. habee profile image93

If dinner with Obama is free, you should def go! What a great experience that would be!

1. Mighty Mom profile image77
        Mighty Momposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't like him that much. I think eating with a politician would give me indigestion.

But I'd eat dinner with Hillary tho! In a heartbeat!

4. Ron Montgomery profile image61
    Ron Montgomeryposted 12 years ago

Was the beer any good?

Mmmm. Beer and flapjacks.
      That's my idea of brunch all right!

1. Ron Montgomery profile image61
        Ron Montgomeryposted 12 years agoin reply to this

And a cigar for afters

1. Randy Godwin profile image62
          Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Er..that would be after dinner with Bill Clinton!  lol

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6186572.jpg

1. Ron Montgomery profile image61

It better be wrapped...

(the cigar, not "little Bill")

1. habee profile image93

You don't wanna savor the flavor?? lol

2. habee profile image93

My hubby loves beer and M & Ms - together!

5. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 12 years ago

You guys are TOO funny!

6. Evan G Rogers profile image60
    Evan G Rogersposted 12 years ago

Romney's a flip-flopping schill.

1. habee profile image93

Or does he have economic skill?
      Would you like Mitt in a boat?
      Would you like him as a goat?
      Or would you not like Mitt, at all?
      I know, I know: You're supporting Paul!

I give both you and Evan props for openly declaring your support.
        I've yet to see another R publicly declare for anyone.
        Lots of Obama bashing, but no pro anyone else.
        So right or wrong, at least you and Evan stand for your convictions.
        Hats off to you.

Now my poem

Habee is a Mitten
        I think the woman's smitten
        Likes his style
        (crocodile smile?)
        Hope she don't get bitten!

1. habee profile image93

Lol, MM! I guess I'm a smitten Mitten! You're right - I'm certainly not ashamed to be supporting Mitt. And I agree, we don't hear much from the Santorum or Newt folks here on HP. Wonder why not?

Oh, and Shanna is a declared Mitten, too. I've also received emails from other hubbers who are supporting Mitt. I guess everyone isn't an "open book" like I am. lol

1. profile image0
            idratherbeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'll open my book. At this point and time I've supporting President Obama. Economy seems to be improving, unemployment going down, and if given some bipartisan help even more could be accomplished.

1. habee profile image93

Well, unlike some Republicans, I don't think 4 more years of Obama would be a disaster. I don't think he's done a terrible job, but I believe it could be done better. I'd like to give someone else a chance.

2. Pamela Kinnaird W profile image84
            Pamela Kinnaird Wposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I really enjoyed this report you gave on your attendance at the event. I like the poem you wrote and the one written back to you by Mighty Mom.  So cute!

I'm a Mitt Romney supporter and proud of it. I think all of the candidates are basically good men, but one has to vote for the best. Mitt Romney has the ability to do the things he promises to do.

I do find it very interesting that if a candidate (this year or in other election years) is a Catholic or a Pentacostal or a Baptist or any other denomination, people don't tear them apart for their religious beliefs.  I've seen such ignorant statements by people on the cnn.com blogs or somewhere -- wherever I've tuned in to look at the latest political videos -- statements that show, in the first place, the person doesn't know anything about the real beliefs of a Mormon and that Mormons are true Christians and, secondly, the person doesn't have a clue what Mitt Romney stands for politically.

I like Ann Romney, too. 

Thanks for a great description of your attendance at the event.

1. habee profile image93

Hi, Pamela! According to CNN, Mitt was way ahead with Catholics in Ohio. That surprised me since Santorum is a Catholic.

1. profile image0
                JaxsonRaineposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Honestly, that surprises me too. Maybe it's a good sign for our country when being a Mormon doesn't mean you have horns and 8 wives in the minds of the average American.

Looks like Mitt cleaned up today. Almost doubled his delegate count.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/wor … le2360435/

Newt more than doubled his, but that's not saying much.

2. Mighty Mom profile image77

Catholics don't vote strictly on religion.
                Santorum's base is (soon to be "was") ultra right wing Christians.

1. profile image61
                  logic,commonsenseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I could never figure out what people saw in Santorum, but I know some that are not ultra right wing and they still voted for him.
                  Maybe it was because his wife did not need $3000 of taxpayer money for birth control!  {7 kids} smile

1. habee profile image93

Hubby saw someone on a cable news show that said people shouldn't vote for Romney or Santorum because they had so many kids.

2. habee profile image93

True dat.

3. Pamela Kinnaird W profile image84

Hey, that's good, Habee.  I didn't notice that. A lot of Catholics do hold The Church of Jesus Christ in high respect.  They know, for instance, that the LDS church and the Catholic church's humanitarian efforts work hand-in-hand (the two churches work together) to be the first on the frontlines when food, clothing, blankets, etc are needed in a catastrophe. 

Just turned on the computer to see how each candidate fared last night. This year has gotta be the most exciting lead-up to the election ever.

1. habee profile image93

I was kinda surprised to see Mitt come in second in some very red states! In fact, he came in 1st or 2nd in every state except for ND. I was also impressed that Mitt got over 72% of the vote in MA, where people know him best. Compare that with the 47% Newt got in GA. As for Ohio, we'll never know the true vote. CNN reported last night that about 10% of that state's vote was from Indies, and they broke for Santorum. They might have been anti-Mitt votes. But hey, a win is a win! And Santorum didn't get all the OH delegates he would have received if he'd qualified in several districts, so Mitt got the lion's share of OH delegates.

I used to have a very close friend who was Mormon, so I know about their humanitarian efforts. I didn't know that they worked closely with Catholics, however. Good to hear!

1. Pamela Kinnaird W profile image84

Hi Habee,
                       Yes, the LDS church doesn't always go in to a catastrophe area in conjunction with the humanitarian arm of the Catholic church -- often they get there alone first -- but if it is the best and fastest way, both churches approach it that way.  (The Indian Ocean tsunami is a prime example.)  They have very good relations with the Catholic church and the Jewish leaders (except for the incident of the one person who put in all those Jewish names -- against LDS policy because an agreement had been made that that wouldn't be done and members are aware of that agreement.)
                       You've really crunched those numbers well.  Looks like you might have taught math as well as literature!  Good stuff.

2. Ron Montgomery profile image61

Holly the Hussy from Joja
          Backs the flip-floppin' northern soja
          his garments worn under
          discourage her plunder

When Mitt proves too limp we'll say toja

1. habee profile image93

LOLOLOLOL!!! Good one, Ron! But you can't say I toja. I've said all along if the economy continues to improve, Obama will win.

2. habee profile image93

He ain't as good-looking in person. I like a man with some meat on his bones. lol

7. Charles James profile image66
    Charles Jamesposted 12 years ago

What is "pulled pork"?

If it was a fundraiser the food should not be free.

1. habee profile image93

Charles, you gotta read my hub about pulled pork! We, along with most other southerners, make pulled pork by smoking a pork shoulder over pecan wood for hours. We then shred the meat and combine it with a sweet-hot-tangy barbecue sauce. Before hubby puts our meat on the smoker, I rub it with seasonings and let it "cure" in the fridge overnight. If you're ever in this neck of the woods, I'd love to feed you some of our pulled pork!

1. Rebecca E. profile image77
        Rebecca E.posted 12 years agoin reply to this

habee-- you've got me interesting in politcs and pulled pork-- geez what are you doing to me??

1. habee profile image93

lol Sorry!

1. Rebecca E. profile image77
            Rebecca E.posted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol! no you're not-- and really the pulled pork thing--  yum!

8. donotfear profile image83
    donotfearposted 12 years ago

Are you still taking submissions for political poetry from an undecided voter? 

"I know a man named Obama
    Whose name rhymes with one named Osama.
    His political views
    Are making the news
    Cause his ratings are wearing pajamas!"

Have you ever known someone named 'Mitt'
    Who wears holy underwear under his pants?
    Who pierces his lips in lieu of a fit
    Cause his underwear is full of fire ants?

9. Charles James profile image66

Sounds reaaly good!

I will look up your hub on pulled pork and show it to my wife.

This is not me being sexist but a recognition that cooking is one of the many things she does better than me.

1. habee profile image93

Oh, I understand. My husband can't boil water and is helpless in the kitchen! He can cook outdoors, though.

10. Charles James profile image66

The pulled pork recipe sounds delicious.

My wife points out that we do not have a smoker, so I will have to think about buying one as a present to me.

I am quite reasonable in the kitchen - it is just that my wife is highly competent.

Am I right in thinking Mitt and Ron Paul are the only surviving Republican candidates who heve not been adulterers?

Jefferson I understand had children by one of his slaves. So maybe adultery and sexual behavior generally is not the issue some people are making it out to be.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)