Pink slime in 70% of our ground beef!!

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (35 posts)
  1. Connie Smith profile image80
    Connie Smithposted 12 years ago

It was bad when we found out recently that McDonald's, Taco Bell and Burger King had "pink slime in their food.  Still, it only affected me a little since I rarely eat fast food.  I was pretty ticked, though,  when I heard that the USDA had bought 7 tons of it for the school children of America right at the same time that the fast food joints were backing off of it.  I have 2 grandchildren in school.  Better pack....Now, I find out that over 70% of the ground beef in our country has had pink slime in it for a long, long time.  With ground beef between $3 and $4 a pound and we are getting those types of fillers without notice?  The USDA has some 'splainin' to do to the American people! 

Can we help wondering how capitalism has gotten so out of hand that profits go before the people in all instances?  It is disturbing in many categories, but most of all when it affects the food supply.....

Connie Smithposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Here is the link to the ABC news story:

http://www.abcactionnews.com/dpp/news/h … rs-queazy/

2. lifelovemystery profile image77
      lifelovemysteryposted 12 years agoin reply to this

How many generations have been raised on chicken nuggets? That stuff is nasty. Great post.

Thanks.  To answer your question...both my kids and my grandkids have been raised on McNuggets.  I never liked them and now I know why.  It used to be hard to say no to Mickey D's, but not anymore!

Actually, "raised" sounds like that is all they ate, so I'd like to clarify that.  I used to cook nice dinners and we always ate together as a family.  Still, there were too many McDonald's nights, especially knowing what we do now.

2. JamaGenee profile image78
    JamaGeneeposted 12 years ago

Connie, the best solution to Corporate Greed in the food supply is definitely leaning toward "growing our own"!  For city dwellers with no access to land to do so, a good alternative is buying from local farms or farmers you're sure don't put growth additives in their animals' feed or fertilize the veggie garden with cancer-causing chemicals.

As for the "pink slime" in school lunches, if enough of us protest, the practice will have to stop!

3. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

http://m.static.newsvine.com/servista/imagesizer?file=alex-johnson0D06C1E9-7647-E78F-05B0-148AC2AA8C55.jpg&width=600
    Awww, it doesn't look that bad...big_smile

4. Connie Smith profile image80

Yes, it does actually look tasty, like strawberry custard or cotton candy. Unfortunately, it is not and I do not want to eat it.  Do you think that, now that the cat is out of the bag, that this business will stop?

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

"Pink slime" is very inflammatory term, obviously being used by someone that doesn't like the idea but won't say just what it actually is.

In other words, an effort to stop a practice without ever giving enough information to make an informed decision.

What is the stuff you don't want to eat?  Congealed blood?  Finely ground meat?  Compressed meat?  What is it?

1. innersmiff profile image65
        innersmiffposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's kind of the point. What is it?

According to reports, it is all the parts that we used to not eat due to the fact that they were inedible.  Now it is edible to the process of boiling it to remove the fat and treating it with ammonia. 

According to an ABC News blog, "the low-grade trimmings come from the parts of the cow most susceptible to contaminaton, often close to the hide, which is highly exposed to fecal matter. But because of BPI’s treatment of the trimmings — simmering them in low heat, separating fat and tissue using a centrifuge and spraying them with ammonia gas to kill germs — the United States Department of Agriculture says it’s safe to eat."

The good news is that it also lists places that sell meat free of the pink slime. 

Here is the link: http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2 … free-beef/

1. wilderness profile image95
            wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hmmm.  The company says it's beef, "lean finely ground meat".  Someone else says it's connective tissue, presumably things like tendons, sinew, etc.  Who's right?  The people making it or the person who doesn't like the idea?  Or ABC, who says it's meat, just close to the skin?  Cooking meat won't make it inedible, and neither will centrifuging it, so what's wrong with it according to ABC?  Just the name and the thought of that name?

The ammonia is of some concern, but how much?  This is the same stuff you put on your windows to clean them, inevitably leaving some to slowly evaporate into the air you breathe.  The dirty rag from cleaning that same window is thrown into the dirty clothes hamper to wait for wash day, again leaving the soaked up ammonia to slowly evaporate.  Ammonia is not necessarily a health hazard if in limited quantities - how much is put into that food product?

5. innersmiff profile image65
    innersmiffposted 12 years ago

It's hardly capitalism when the fast food outlets are subsidised by the government. No business would get away with this in the free market.

6. innersmiff profile image65
    innersmiffposted 12 years ago

And that looks gross. Beware of colours that do not exist in nature.

7. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 12 years ago

As far as I'm aware, this information has been around for years. They also grind up diseased dead chickens to feed as chicken pellets to other chickens.

And everyone knows that things like offal and sausage are made of offal.

1. couturepopcafe profile image60
      couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've been on this bandwagon for years. It's about time the public, at least some of them, are becoming outraged. Add the common practice of cattle and milk cows being given antibiotics on a routine basis as a precautionary measure. We all know the outcome of antibiotic resistant bacteria mutating. It's small wonder our kids are growing up with autism, ADD, and neurological disorders.

When cattle and cows become sick, they're given additional medication and kept with the herd. They're even milked and slaughtered as though nothing is wrong with them. This is what you've been eating.

Chickens live in outrageous conditions, piled high, one on top of the other, forced to lay every day without benefit of their natural behaviors.

Should we talk about produce or have you had enough for one day?

Do whatever it takes to buy whole organic produce and meat. It may cost more, but it has more nutrition. You'll eat less because you won't be able to afford all the junk you've been buying in boxes.

8. Connie Smith profile image80

Maybe I'm just naive, Wry Lit.  Until about 6 years ago, I thought beef cattle grazed on farms out in Nebraska....I had no clue.  While I am not sure I want to, I have learned a bit more since then.  Yet, I had no idea that the USDA approved meat "fillers" in grocery store ground beef.  I think only ground beef and natural trimmings that have not been processed should be in meat.  If some people do not mind, then okay, label the meat that has it.  However, I would never willingly buy it.  When ground meat has steadily risen in price to $3 or $4 a pound, I see nothing but greed in this action.  Am I surprised?

1. Naturallygrassfed profile image57
      Naturallygrassfedposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi Connie.

Only few meat producers would be honest enough to sell meat without the fillers. As an environmentalist, I feel bad when I read news, about pink slime and such. They are products of cows lived in a terrible lifestyle. Like you, I'll never be willing to buy something like that.

2. couturepopcafe profile image60

In Tennessee, Publix and Whole Foods do not use fillers in their ground beef. Kroger has announced that their butchers will have a list of which products have it, but you'll have to ask. WalMart has yet to disclose. Food Lion, Safeway, and another chain have declared they will stop using it. I still want labels.

IMO, I say to hell with all of them. Stop buying. Buy from the producers that have always stayed on the up and up. Why would you be loyal to a company now just because they have decided to come clean?

9. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

Connie, you can stay informed at various sites online. I know some people don't really care what they eat, but many more are starting to get involved in food and food politics. There are a few hubbers that write about it, Terri Meridith is one that comes to mind. I hardly ever eat red meat any longer, ground beef isn't really ground 'beef' just as chicken nuggets are hardly made from chicken.

http://www.ewg.org/agmag/category/food/
    http://michaelpollan.com/resources/
    Michael Pollan has written numerous books about food and has an informative website.

10. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

Jamie Oliver has been reporting this fact for some time. he is trying to clean up the school lunch programs and educate people on what they are eating..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wshlnRWnf30

BTW,has anyone wondered what Spam is made of?LOL

11. Eric Newland profile image61
    Eric Newlandposted 12 years ago

I guess the real question is, is the slime any worse for you than the fat that's already in the meat?

Another fact is that any raw meat you find that's pink on the outside has been sprayed with some kind of antibacterial thing. Truly natural meat turns an ugly brown color where it's been exposed to air.

It is kind of funny how obsessed we are with brightly colored foods in general. In nature that usually means a thing is poisonous.

Good point, Eric. The fat in today's livestock is toxic unless it's organically raised. Fat is good for us but not the stuff that's fed hormones, antibiotics and steroids, stored in the fat, and all in the name of more money for faster poundage.

12. Connie Smith profile image80

Thanks, RebekahELLE, I will check those sites out.  I am glad that one famous chef is taking a stand on this, Stacie, and yes, Eric, I do think the slime is worse than the fat.  I just think we should be well informed on what is in our food and I do not think we should have to do hours of research to be informed.  I believe that the makers of the food have the obligation to tell us what is in it and I believe that the USDA and the FDA have fallen down on the job.  The good news is that a lot of people are up in arms about it and I'm hoping that makes a positive difference for all of us.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Connie, you are correct that changes are being made because of consumer outrage and demand for change. Food activists, social media and concerned citizens are using their voices. http://naturalsociety.com/usda-drops-pi … l-lunches/

Pink slime has been axed from school cafeteria lunches. Also you have probably heard that McDonalds no longer uses it in their mcnugget which really isn't chicken anyway.  Despite what some will say, consumers can and do make a difference. It's a matter of being informed and concerned enough to take action.

I have a few informative links on my organic foods hub but will include a couple here.

http://www.eatwild.com/  This site provides info and links to pasture fed farms throughout the US. You can find a local farmer and even visit the farm. Or it can be shipped.

http://www.eatwellguide.org/i.php?pd=Home  Just enter your zip code and farms, farmers markets, good place to eat will show up.

an organic farm in Tampa has a great site. sweetwater-organic.org.  [I don't want to list too many links..]  smile

I thought the slime was only in beef? You're saying it's in chicken, too? (McNuggets)

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
          rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The mcnugget is/was made in a similar process as the pink slime (BLBT), by using the carcass of the chicken (MSP - mechanically separated poultry). It is 50% chicken and the rest is corn derivatives, sugars, leavening agents and non food chemicals, dimethyl polysiloxane (found in silly putty) and TBHQ, a synthetic petroleum based chemical also found in lacquers, pesticide products and cosmetics. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9B7im8a … r_embedded  Jamie Oliver showing how nuggets are made.

Did you know a McDonalds hamburger bun can last indefinitely? After 14 years left out on a counter, it showed no signs of mold or decomposition. It looked the same as a fresh bun.

13. Kangaroo_Jase profile image74
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 12 years ago

Australia exports over 352,000lbs of Australian beef to the US market every year. What I don't know is which state/s are getting it.

14. scruffy5533 profile image59
    scruffy5533posted 12 years ago

Two words....."crock pot". Even the cheapest, non-slime, cuts of meat can be braised to delicious perfection. i.e.- Mickey D's isn't really an economic decision. It's the lazy man's out.

15. Reality Bytes profile image76
    Reality Bytesposted 12 years ago

I do not eat beef often, when I want ground beef I buy a piece of roast and have the butcher grind it for me on the spot.

Maybe once or twice a year.

16. Eaglekiwi profile image76
    Eaglekiwiposted 12 years ago

Watch the DVD Fast Food Nation

Its been around for awhile now,but you may be shocked to see what is added to beef,suffice to say burgers could be renamed McPoop!

The pink is probably food coloring.

17. Eliminate Cancer profile image60
    Eliminate Cancerposted 12 years ago

I recently wrote a hub about this - most fast food chains, and grocery stores are running from pink slime - and public schools are now given the option to "opt out"...  everyone should check with their school district to find out if it will be in the school lunch.  Better yet, buy from your local farmer's market.

Are You Eating Pink Slime?
    http://eliminatecancer.hubpages.com/hub … Pink-Slime

18. Connie Smith profile image80

I do think it is interesting that, with a little publicity, that each of us, as one consumer, was able to turn this around.  Most groceries are now assuring us that pink slime is gone from their meat and I read that the pink slime factory was "temporarily" laying some people off.  It is time for us to get more involved in issues that involve us so closely.  It is patently clear that we can not expect our government to protect us over big biz.

19. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

I heard that this morning on the news about the factory. Consumer outrage is being heard and listened to, and social media has been very effective with spreading concern. If you use FB and Twitter, or at least one of them, articles can be posted and tweeted, retweeted. Writing and making phones to Congressman can also help. The key is to stay informed and take action.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)