Atheist horror/fantasy fans

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (15 posts)
  1. twosheds1 profile image59
    twosheds1posted 12 years ago

Question: did you find that once you became an atheist, your enjoyment of horror or fantasy diminished? This is assuming that you have rejected all forms of supernatural belief, and not just the belief in gods.

I found that while my enjoyment of them hasn't (I was really creeped out by Paranormal Activity and the Woman in Black, e.g.), I find myself more critical of them regarding their suspension of disbelief.

twosheds1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Guess I should have been clearer. I was aiming this question at atheists, agnostics and skeptics.

2. profile image0
      Chasukposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've never believed in vampires, werewolves, ghosts, etc., so my suspension of disbelief didn't change.

Great question, though.

3. Titen-Sxull profile image71
      Titen-Sxullposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Actually I would say quite the opposite. Becoming an atheist and skeptic has allowed me to better define reality versus fiction and thus when I sit down to watch fiction I can shut off that part in my brain that is skeptical because I know what I'm watching is fiction.

My love for fantasy, horror and science fiction have never been stronger. By the way I'd like to know what part of Paranormal Activity you found creepy, I can barely stay awake during those movies, nothing ever happens until the very end.

I've only seen the first one, and don't plan on seeing any of the three sequels. What I found creepy was how the rate of activity grew over time, and how you don't really see much happening, except for a door opening or something like that. It was all atmosphere. I was really disappointed by the ending, though. It was like they thought they needed a Hollywood horror ending, and I thought it ruined the rest of the movie.

Yeah, it wasn't fast-paced, but I like atmosphere to my horror, not action. Making the audience jump is not the same as scaring them.

1. Titen-Sxull profile image71
          Titen-Sxullposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I didn't like Paranormal Activity, I also didn't notice any building atmosphere either. I mean sure the activity escalates slowly but that itself does not make anything creepy. Plus the characters were unlikable and just argued the ENTIRE film, which made me consider the ghost/demon as the hero of the film who was going to kill off the human antagonists.

I agree that jump scares are cheap but they're also the oldest horror trick in the book, virtually every horror film has them. Honestly though my favorite type of horror is usually horror-comedies, stuff like Tremors, Shaun of the Dead, Tucker and Dale Versus Evil, the Evil Dead series, etc. As far as legit horror films I'd say John Carpenters The Thing and the Fog are two of my favorites, as well as The Mist.

I've seen the second Paranormal Activity, just to check if they improved, the really didn't improve upon the first. It's pretty much boring for the first hour, a few pots and pans move and the pool cleaner mysteriously wanders it's way out of the pool on its own. The only really creepy parts are at the end, and even then the movie gives you very little to look at or actually be frightened of.

4. NiaLee profile image60
      NiaLeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

why assume so much? I am no atheist and would nightmare to dare decide what goes on in their mind and judge them....

2. kerryg profile image83
    kerrygposted 12 years ago

I'm not sure I'm quite the target audience for this question, as I'm an agnostic that leans atheist rather than a true atheist. Also, I've never been a horror fan. However, I do love fantasy and can tell you that I get really impatient with mystical and religious elements in fantasy and sci-fi for much the same reasons I get impatient with them in real life. I'm interested in the effect of religion on human behavior, but stuff like prophecies and Chosen Ones generally bore me, unless played for laughs.

To name a specific example, Battlestar Galactica had a lot of fascinating stuff to say about religion in its early seasons, but when God(s?) actually started meddling in things, the show started falling apart. Kara Thrace and her Special Destiny, puh-leese.

A more successful example, imho, is A Song of Ice and Fire, where you see the population gradually turn more and more to religious beliefs thanks to a brutal and devastating war and the fact that some of the beliefs are actually real (like the crazy preacher running around bringing the dead back to life) still affects the plot more because of its effect on the psychology and actions of the humans who believe it than because the Drowned God is actually getting himself involved in the war.

3. Insane Mundane profile image58
    Insane Mundaneposted 12 years ago

I'm sure that it would depend on the type of atheist or agnostic involved, but for the most part, anybody who strips all forms of creativity and imagination from their thought patterns and tries to replace it with mechanical thoughts, all while trying to train their brain to mimic a robot/machine, would have those particular problems of finding enjoyment from fantasy/science-fiction flicks.
    I find that to be quite amusing, considering how many times that ideas from science-fiction and fantasy have become reality, over time.
    I'm not sure how horror relates to this, unless you just mean, well, I don't know what you mean by that, actually... hmm

4. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

I'd have to go with insane mundane on this one. Movies aren't meant to mimic real life. Without imagination, I guess one would be able to be nothing but critical.

5. Druid Dude profile image60
    Druid Dudeposted 12 years ago

The worst movie date would be one who sits there and logically justifies or disses everything on the screen.

1. EinderDarkwolf profile image60
      EinderDarkwolfposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Agreed.

6. Druid Dude profile image60
    Druid Dudeposted 12 years ago

Most movies involve some suspension of belief.

True, but I guess maybe what I was thinking was that at least for horror, some of the fright comes from the idea that what is on screen might actually happen. If something seems entirely implausible I think it loses much of its impact. Or perhaps it's more of a testament to the filmmakers that they can successfully take something implausible and make it scary.

7. wilderness profile image93
    wildernessposted 12 years ago

I have never enjoyed horror flicks much, and don't care for most of the fantasy out there either.  Although later fantasy films have become more interesting with better graphics, illustrating the film makers ideas of what is there.

Sci-fi I have always enjoyed far more, and do to this day.  Becoming agnostic has, if anything, enhanced that genre for me.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)