I just heard him say ....

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (26 posts)
  1. Jerami profile image59
    Jeramiposted 12 years ago

i just heard him say on TV  ...   that unless I send a check to him, God can;t do anything??

Don't know about them people on TV  but I don't want to serve a God that can't do nothing without me !  (and my check).

now !  I really I am going to bed; see Ya in the AM

1. kess profile image59
      kessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Though that comes from the mouth of a liar, not by intention but by natute...it still is truth.

Unless one act by faith (founded upon knowing Truth) God to that one is powerless to do anything.

Jeramiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I shouldn't have posted this, though it just sounded so strange when he said, God can't do anything,     unless I do this or that.

2. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

If nothing else, at least us lab rats amuse Him. big_smile

3. SandyMcCollum profile image63
    SandyMcCollumposted 12 years ago

Our pastor once told us that God cannot lie... I beg to differ... If he can make miracles, raise the dead, heal the sick, etc., then why can't he lie? I believe he doesn't lie, he chooses not to, but my God can do anything.

1. lifelovemystery profile image78
      lifelovemysteryposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Numbers 23:19 tells us that it is impossible for God to lie. "God is not a man, that he should lie, nor a son of man, that he should change his mind. Does he speak and then not act? Does he promise and not fulfill?"

1. wilderness profile image94
        wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That God should or should not lie or change his mind is a far cry from it being impossible.  I don't see that that verse says anything at all about anything being impossible to God.  He is, after all, omnipotent and can do anything.

Lying is a sin and he has no reason to sin. The interpretation I provided is from the NIV Bible.

Lying is often regarded as a sin, yes, but not always.  It is also often regarded as a "goodness" - a kindness to the recipient of the lie.  A partial truth can be considered to be a lie, but often is accepted as simply being incompletely truthful and thus not a sin.  Saying the truth while simultaneously giving the appearance of meaning something else is accepted as truth even though it is a complete lie.

The point is that you cannot define sin - only God.  And His definition, when describing His actions, is often very different than ours when describing our own actions.  Add in that you actually have no idea if God has a reason to lie to mankind and it would appear that you are trying to describe the God you want to be, not necessarily the one that is there.

God has repeatedly sinned egregiously (by standards we set ourselves), beyond what any but the most demented and amoral of our race would or even could do, but He does not consider them sins.  I think it not only possible that He would lie, but probable to the point of certainty.

I actually can define sin as it is laid out in scripture. There are no fine lines or gray areas. Lying is in itself deceitful, whether one has something to gain or not.

We see God from different points of view. I will agree to disagree.

You are probably right in being able to define sin from the scripture.  I refer to mankinds current definition of sin in our own culture, which is often gray.  A "white" lie to make someone feel better, for instance.

I'm also sure we see God from different points of view.  I look at His actions taken from the bible, while you look at what you want Him to be.  His frequent punishment, including death, of innocent peoples for the sins of their forefathers is, in my opinion, a sin in itself but God obviously doesn't see it that way.  His teaching of how to get and keep slaves is a sin in my mind, but obviously not His. 

Bottom line - yes, we will simply have to agree to disagree.

I don't see God as who I want him to be. I see him as who he says he is.

Punishment comes in all forms, and those in rebellion know that sooner or later it will find them. Scripture does not teach how to get and keep slaves. It teaches what happened to people when they were in rebellion. It also teaches that when they were freed from their bondage that they were blessed by God and by their masters. I am referring to the Israelites held in captivity by the Egyptians.

If you read the word, you will also discover that they lived in the best part of the area, and it was not affected by any of the plagues. My point is that God punishes for rebellion, but can also bless people during this trial.

You see God as who He says He is - I see God by His actions.

How many totally innocent Egyptian children and infants were killed by God because of the sins of their parents?  Those children had done nothing wrong, but were nevertheless killed and their souls forfeit.  So that God could make a point to His chosen people - he could have simply spirited them away but chose instead to punish the Egyptian children. 

When I refer to slaves, I was referring to those people kept as slaves by the Isrealites under Gods direction and instruction.  Treated humanely (from the instructions given) they were still slaves - a result of one of the most degenerate and evil practices mankind has ever used against his own species.

2. kess profile image59
      kessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Can Truth be a lie....

It does appear so....but only for a while.

The Faith of the Father will not allow him to go against his own self ...if he does then He disqualifies himself from being who he is.

Then all existence fails...

God cannot Lie.

3. Dave Mathews profile image60
      Dave Mathewsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sandy: There is "Part Truth", in what you say. God can do anything except to go against himself. God will never lie. God will never like even the smallest of sins. God will never go against anything he has told you he can or will do. That is not God. That is not who God is. That is not what God is about.

Since God is pure, unsolicited, unconditional love, God cannot now not ever lie.

1. Druid Dude profile image61
        Druid Dudeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Then God didn't create everything.

4. donotfear profile image85
    donotfearposted 12 years ago

Last night I heard a preacher say that God doesn't love us just as we are.

How can we come to Him if He doesn't love us?  That's the point. We as humans can never make ourselves worthy enough in His eyes, that's why Jesus was sent to the world in the first place: as our attorney.

Jeramiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

donotfear wrote
      Last night I heard a preacher say that God doesn't love us just as we are.

How can we come to Him if He doesn't love us?  That's the point. We as humans can never make ourselves worthy enough in His eyes, that's why Jesus was sent to the world in the first place: as our attorney.
      = = - - ===
      ME
        Exactly !   And how can he put as much love on us,  as he wants to, when we won't come near?

My arguements against religion have never been against GOD, but against the lies some people say he said, for their own self interest.

1. Druid Dude profile image61

Do you realize what has happened to airfares? God needs money, too! He loves on line gambling. (We're trying to talk him into treatment, but all he says is: I"M GOD!

2. Druid Dude profile image61

God loves us as we are, but as we are is not what God would have us be. We are the sum of our experiences, and in exercising free will, mean to circumvent God's will. You can't circumvent God's will.

5. luvpassion profile image63
    luvpassionposted 12 years ago

Hi Jerami...you guys

(((hugs)))
    Teri

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)