Bookmarks being phased out

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (54 posts)
  1. Jason Menayan profile image59
    Jason Menayanposted 12 years ago

I just posted a new blog post announcing the first stage in discontinuing bookmarks on HubPages:
    http://blog.hubpages.com/2012/03/bookma … hased-out/

Some important points:
    - The only change so far is the removal of the "Bookmark this Hub" link on Hubs.
    - We will eventually phase out the bookmark feature entirely
    - Before we retire the feature, we will allow any Hubber with stored bookmarks to download a file of them that they can import into their browser

We don't have timing on the second two steps yet, but rest assured that we will give you ample warning.

Thank you!

1. FloraBreenRobison profile image60
      FloraBreenRobisonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the warning. I have loved these bookmarks as I rarely have time to read things all at once. When you do provide information on how to download the file, please make every step very easy to follow as I am not sure I will know how to do this. Perhaps having a way to download them into a CD-Rom will be helpful too in case our computer crashes sometime in the future. When my windows program started eating itself on my computer, I had to start over from scratch by removing the program completely. I couldn't just add the program again. So it was like I had brought a brand new computer with nothing on it.

2. AEvans profile image70
      AEvansposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for letting us save our bookmarks by downloading. smile

1. Hawkesdream profile image65
        Hawkesdreamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I can't even find my bookmarks, let alone download them to my browser. Where are they???

Jason Menayanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

They're under:

My Account > Activity > Bookmarks

Thanks

2. Victoria Lynn profile image89
    Victoria Lynnposted 12 years ago

I already have tried to bookmark a hub and there was no bookmark button. Can you tell us the rationale for getting rid of this feature?

1. profile image0
      HubTubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Bummer!  I was just getting into bookmarking an entire assortment of hubs!

2. TamCor profile image80
      TamCorposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'd like to know, too.  I use this pretty often, thinking it was a convenient place to "store" hubs that I want to go back to...

I wish you would reconsider this decision.

Edit:  Taking away the "forum" button above is another thing I didn't like--having to keep going to a drop-down menu is aggravating!

3. Jason Menayan profile image59

All answered in the blog post. smile

1. Victoria Lynn profile image89
        Victoria Lynnposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The rationale for removing the bookmarks isn't clearly addressed in the blog. It would be nice to know why the feature is being removed or if that decision could be reconsidered.Thanks.

* It wasn't popularly used.
          * Like all features, it has required maintenance work, and we made a determination that ongoing maintenance wasn't worth it based on its relatively limited use.
          * We want to simplify the feature set to not overwhelm site visitors and Hubbers.
          * We want our limited engineering resources to focus on features that readers and Hubbers will find useful.

3. WriteAngled profile image75
    WriteAngledposted 12 years ago

What exactly is the point of removing this feature???

If I wish to read a hub but do not have time when I find it, how exactly do I return to it later?

If I find a hub with information that will be relevant on many future occasions, how to I find a means to return to it in future?

What are your motives? Are you unhappy that perhaps bookmarked hubs do not belong to your pets and thus deprive them of views of their recipe hubs?

1. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yet strangely, recipe hubs are the type I am more likely to bookmark!

I actually won't miss the feature. I have long since found my own way of 'bookmarking' hubs of choice smile

4. WriteAngled profile image75
    WriteAngledposted 12 years ago

How interesting that after posting a critical post here my hubber score has decreased despite the fact that my hub views simultaneously reached an all-time high.

1. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Maybe that is what happened to my score! But I don't care. No views, no high numbers, noting to miss smile

I just like writing...

1. LucidDreams profile image65
        LucidDreamsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You're so positive............love it!

5. Victoria Lynn profile image89

Hawkesdream, you can find them in your account under activity. It will show your bookmarks.

Thanks for the info Victoria Lynn, much appreciated

6. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 12 years ago

I will miss the bookmarks, too - it's been a great way to refer back to something we enjoyed or something with useful information. I do understand, though, that things are happening quickly on the site, and that considerable thought is given to every change you make. I imagine there might be issues related to server and processing space and power where bookmarks are concerned. Also, some hubs could have been unpublished at some point. 

Anyway, thank you for the heads-up on this!  It pays to read announcements in the forum!

7. Victoria Lynn profile image89

Marcy, you're so sweet. So diplomatic.  There may be a good reason to get rid of the bookmarks, as you say. I do wish someone would explain it to us, though. It was a handy feature.

8. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 12 years ago

I have been bookmarking articles like crazy because I am always out and about.  Can't read them as soon as I spot them.  Like, for a year I've been doing this?  I have bookmarked so many of these interesting articles that they are one big blob of bookmarks for me.  Some are organized into the files provided, and some are not.  Many of these articles have saved me $$$$ on buying magazines.  This new decision will force me to read, sort and file them away because a lot of them are recipes.  I am already disappointed because I found an article to bookmark today, but couldn't do it.  I will miss that bookmarking feature.  Boo!

9. Rosemay50 profile image61
    Rosemay50posted 12 years ago

I will miss the 'Bookmark' feature. I use it quite often for hubs that I would like to revisit. Informational hubs, recipes and other great reads.
    But if it has to be ... it has to be. Thank you for still allowing us access to those we have and giving us plenty of warning to bookmark or download them elsewhere.
    It would have been devastating just to lose the whole lot without warning.

10. profile image0

Just spotted another recipe, and it looks like a keeper!  I guess it's time to fire up the printer???

You can also bookmark it in your browser, or use a bookmarking site like Delicious.

11. lobobrandon profile image87
    lobobrandonposted 12 years ago

All broswsers have bookmarking capabilities and actually I never saw the need to use the bookmarking feature. I always used my browser to do so. It's easy and you'll get used to it if you haven't done it before.

1. WriteAngled profile image75
      WriteAngledposted 12 years agoin reply to this

A tad patronising of you, nay?

My browser bookmarks are used to bookmark sites that are essential for my real work. I have no desire to clag them up with social networking links like Hubpages.

1. lobobrandon profile image87
        lobobrandonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You know you can create a separate folder and name it hubpages? All your HP bookmarks can go there

2. Healthy Pursuits profile image78
      Healthy Pursuitsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree, lobobrandon. I'll miss the bookmark feature, but I use and categorize all other bookmarks through my browser anyway. I'll just add a directory for that, and change my method a little.

It's really duplication of a feature that's already available on any browser. And, if you really think about it, if a company has a lot of computer maintenance, which HP would, why have people working on a duplicate feature?

But it's change, and like most humans, I'm not crazy about making change.

All logic aside, I really did like the bookmarking feature in HP. (one single tear trickled down her somewhat wrinkled cheek.)

Yes, when there are simple ways available why waste resources and time improving a feature that's improved with the newer versions of our browsers!

12. profile image0

I am tempted to start testing all of these recipes that I have collected so far.  (Wink, wink).  They grow on you.  And so do the other articles.  I'll find a folder somehow--somewhere.  Thanks for the suggestions.  If I put them with the rest of the information on my browser, the poor thing will explode.  Bam!

13. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 12 years ago

Thank you for letting us know.
    I do use bookmark, but I can see that this could us a huge amount of space on the HP site, if hundreds of users do it. Bookmarking in the browser would be fine.
    I also  PRINT OUT articles that I want to reference in the future-- especially those about HP tips, so this could be an alternative to people who like to save things for reference.

14. SandyMcCollum profile image64
    SandyMcCollumposted 12 years ago

Now, why would they go and fix something that's not broken? And something so useful? Geez....

15. melbel profile image93
    melbelposted 12 years ago

Personally, I rarely used this feature, so I don't mind seeing it go.

Those sad to see the feature go can continue bookmarking via their browser bookmark button, if they want. It's handy, but I often hit that bookmark button and revisit since my bookmarks menu is a tangled mess. tongue

I'm guessing that HubPages will set up the download in such a way that hubbers can import their favorite hub links to their browser's bookmarks. It might take some fiddling around with.

To the hubber who wanted a CD rom, I don't know how HubPages would do this. Mail a cd-rom? What you could do, though, is save the file and just burn it to a cd. Any file type can be burned to a CD, it just wouldn't automatically open up with a HubPages designed interface or anything.

If you're concerned about losing the bookmarks, you could also email the file to yourself or use Dropbox which has been incredibly helpful for me, in other ways, as a writer here on HubPages.

16. profile image0
    The Writers Dogposted 12 years ago

"Now, why would they go and fix something that's not broken? And something so useful? Geez...."

Because it is easier for admin than fixing all the things that are wrong around here hmm

17. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

I will miss it. It was a nice feature.

18. Greekgeek profile image79
    Greekgeekposted 12 years ago

Ironically, I just got here from a thread on the Squidoo forums explaining to disappointed newbies clamoring for a bookmarks feature that Squidoo once HAD favorites (bookmarks), but removed them a year ago to the frustration of many members. Not a month goes by that we don't get newbies suggesting and begging for that feature.

The reasoning was the same: not that many people used it. But I have a feeling that active and engaged members of the community used it, considering the large number of forum members talking about missing the feature.

I didn't think those bookmarks mattered that much, but I had a startlingly disruptive traffic and revenue drop on Squidoo when they were phased out that took me some months to overcome.

A pity. It was one of the ways Hubpages was better than Squidoo.

19. Rosie2010 profile image67
    Rosie2010posted 12 years ago

I've never used HP bookmarking tool.. I always use my browser to bookmark.  But thanks for letting us know. smile

20. jponiato profile image88
    jponiatoposted 12 years ago

I'm one of those that never used the feature, so won't miss it.  I have a suggestion, which I know isn't as convenient, but could replace the feature for people willing to invest in setting it up and might help drive some traffic.

If you haven't already done so, sign up for a Google Plus account.  HubPage articles have the little "g+" button, you can click on any article you want to re-visit.  Later, on your Google Plus profile, you can see all the sites you've "g+"d.  It serves the same purpose as bookmarking, but should also help drive some traffic to those articles you found interesting enough to bookmark in the first place.

Again, not quite as simple as bookmarking within HP, and it does require creating a profile on Google, so this suggestion won't sit well with everyone, but it could work well for some.  I use this technique myself.

1. melbel profile image93
      melbelposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Don't + your own hubs. It can get you penalized by Google.

1. jponiato profile image88
        jponiatoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I suspected as much.  I use it to capture *other* people's pages, both to facilitate later retrieval and as a means to recommend them.  No real need to bookmark our own hubs anyway I guess.

1. melbel profile image93
          melbelposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's not a good idea to + anyone else's hubs either. It can lead problems for the hubber whose hub you +'d.

Very seldom, if ever, plus a user's hub.

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/81071

Oh didn't know that.. Thanks melbel!
            Luckily I never Plus'd any hubs

1. Pcunix profile image90
              Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's an over reaction.

You shouldn't be *indiscriminately* plussing.  In other words, don't do the kind of social media backscratching and butt kissing that has ruined any value it once had.

If you see something that truly does wow you, plus it, no matter where you find it.  If it isn't stellar, don't plus it - again, no matter where you find it.

The point of indiscriminate plussing is that Google knows who you are and will discount the value of your recommendations if it sees you recommending stuff wildly.

Getting a plus 1 from me is very hard smile

1. Pcunix profile image90
                  Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Agreed - and it should be.

I don't know if I actually ever have ever plussed something here.  The last thing I plussed was http://htwins.net/scale2/scale2.swf?bordercolor=white  - which was today, and I cannot remember when I plussed anything prior.

I have a total of 63 +1's here at hubpages (Webmaster Tools shows you that) and 590 at my main site.   While I'm sure those are paltry numbers, when I hover over the buttons, I've only seen one person who I have any sort of connection with, so I guess those +'s are honest..   so 590 honest recommendations might be far more valuable that 5,000 sycophant plusses from people who plus everything by everyone they know in hopes of reciprocation.

At least I hope so smile

If it doesn't make a difference today it will tomorrow - so I'm sure that makes a huge diff. Btw I've shared that a few months ago on FB smile

2. Peggy W profile image95
      Peggy Wposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That sounds like a dual purpose plan!  It will help other hubbers plus give us a place to return to if we wish to read the hubs again or reference them.  Thanks for the idea.

Wow, this is a good idea and it would also help the writers who wrote the hubs you found useful! Amazing idea and I guess everyone has a Google acccount (adsense at least) so they can use the same for a Google+ acc

21. Glenn Stok profile image97
    Glenn Stokposted 12 years ago

If you had been saving bookmarks using HP's bookmark feature, I'll explain an easy way to copy and save them before the feature is removed.

Jason said HP will provide a tool to save your bookmarks before they remove them. But if you don't want to wait, follow these steps...

1. Go to your bookmarks by clicking Activity --> Bookmarks

2. Highlight all your bookmarks

3. Right-click and select "copy"

4. Open MS Word to a new doc and paste to it.

5. Save the file.

You will have all your bookmarks in a Word Doc with hyper-links that you can click on. smile

I did this on Windows, but the method is somewhat similar on a Mac.

Just an addition wink
      For people who save them on Word use Ctrl+click when you click on the hyperlinks as that will open them in your browser window.

1. FaithDream profile image77
        FaithDreamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Great idea!  I've bookmarked many for reference as well as for inspiration. I hate to lose them. This is a great idea then I can still go back to them. Thanks!

2. Jason Menayan profile image59

Simple and clever way to copy over your bookmarks - thanks for sharing this, Glenn. smile

1. Jean Bakula profile image91
        Jean Bakulaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for ideas on how to save bookmarks. I rarely did it, but I wanted to. I have so much I want to read, but you can't read and write at the same time. Making a folder seems easy enough. There have been so many changes, I couldn't even find my comments from others for a week. No email to my home address, and there were about 20 I never realized I had. It seems like all is backlogged? And my score has never been so low. Unsure if I should write here at all anymore, even though I cut down.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)